• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Disney Epic Mickey |OT|

WillyFive

Insaniac said:
I remember seeing a thread with a ton of banned people, why did that happen?

Check out the first two links in the OP called 'Leak' and 'Reveal Thread'. Those were the topics that got most of the bans.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
Importing the Collector's Edition. I hope the game does well, though I'm not expecting much after Wii Party's failure. It would be a crying shame if this is the only really AAA 3rd party game from a Western developer on the Wii.

Lijik

Fantastic OP, Willy! Where did the Mickey vs Oswald art at the bottom come from? I really like it!

Trying hard to not spoil myself. Can't wait for this game

LiK

Willy105 said:
Check out the first two links in the OP called 'Leak' and 'Reveal Thread'. Those were the topics that got most of the bans.

my work PC basically blocked everything in your OP except the links. looks pretty bare. :lol

ReiGun

Great Op. Speaking of the title, have we gotten through a single Epic Mickey thread without a banning? There always seems to be at least one.

Gonna put in my preorder at Gamestop this weekend. Can't Wait.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Excited about the game. Willy sure loves to hog all the OT's and the title should have been about the game, but whatever.

Poyunch

Sonic Colors is going to have to wait as I need this game and DKCR.

Wazzim said:
30+ bannings? Holy shit, guess I'll stay away from this topic just in case..
Just be smart and don't port beg. Many were banned even after mods put up a warning.

Can't wait for this game, thank goodness i have dkcr to sate me, its been an amazing year for the wii and i was totally expecting a "deal with it" after the "for wii" part of the gif , i'm kinda disappointed now :p sans that great op.

stuminus3

The bannings were all for port begging type shennanigans, guys. If you're here for the goods then I don't think you have to worry...

I think I'll add this to the Christmas list for myself, it seems like a perfect holiday game. Ironically, my 11 year old son wants Halo Reach. :lol

It's good to have you back, Warren!

Spike

Nice thread, Willy. I was working on one myself, but yours is so much better than I could muster.

I am so pumped for this game. I've had this avatar since the big leak way back, and in only a few more days I'll be playing this.

Oh, got a link for a bigger version of that awesome Mickey/Oswald pic in the bottom right corner?

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Wazzim said:
30+ bannings? Holy shit, guess I'll stay away from this topic just in case..

we don't just randomly ban people. click the tos link above to see the rules. don't break the rules? won't get banned* * i'm not going to retroactively vouch for every single ban done by every single moderator in the last 7 years, but by and large bans are pretty cut and dry.

in the case of epic mickey, it was uniformly people who came into the thread just to whine about the platform choice. some more aggressively or more benignly than others, but what all of them had in common is that they weren't just expressing that they thought the game would be better elsewhere (which actually isn't and wouldn't be bannable here or on any sensible forum), they were expressing contempt for the game and the Wii and showing absolutely no positively or constructive contribution. they were there just to call attention to themselves and throw a tantrum.

i'm sure no one in this thread will be here just to troll and threadshit, so i don't anticipate any bans here at all! yay!

SYNTAX182

Stumpokapow said:
we don't just randomly ban people. click the tos link above to see the rules. don't break the rules? won't get banned* * i'm not going to retroactively vouch for every single ban done by every single moderator in the last 7 years, but by and large bans are pretty cut and dry.

in the case of epic mickey, it was uniformly people who came into the thread just to whine about the platform choice. some more aggressively or more benignly than others, but what all of them had in common is that they weren't just expressing that they thought the game would be better elsewhere (which actually isn't and wouldn't be bannable here or on any sensible forum), they were expressing contempt for the game and the Wii and showing absolutely no positively or constructive contribution. they were there just to call attention to themselves and throw a tantrum.

i'm sure no one in this thread will be here just to troll and threadshit, so i don't anticipate any bans here at all! yay!

Ha ha. Oh gamers, will you ever learn.

Great OP.

Still unsure about the game. I think the visuals and atmosphere look great, and adventuring will be fun but the platforming looks frustrating (jumping looks hard to control). Probably going to wait for some impressions.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
I didn't have a Wii back when that crazy thread happens. Instead of posting about how upset I was about their platform choice, I just went out and bought a Wii as soon as I could.

No ban, plus I get to play Epic Mickey... a true win-win situation.

I'm looking forward to this. It looks very good and the setting is fitting for it's name but I haven't seen a whole lot of gameplay yet. I'll probably avoid day one since I'll be busy with DK but if GAF word is good I'll get it soon.

stuminus3 said:
I think I'll add this to the Christmas list for myself, it seems like a perfect holiday game. Ironically, my 11 year old son wants Halo Reach. :lol

I hear you, I've asked for this for Christmas and my son asked for Metroid: Other M. :D

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Will probably get this as a Christmas present and buy DKC:Return on release.

UK GAFers can get a special bonus DVD from HMV.
  • 3 classic Mickey Short Cartoons
  • Lonesome Ghosts
  • Through The Mirror
  • Whalers
  • 3 Disney Epic Mickey Trailers
  • 49 Stunning Concept Art Images

Kenka

I feel like asking why the OP has such a tag, and if it is related in any way to the whole Epic Mickey ban affair...

Penguin

November 18, 2010 – Disney Interactive Studios today announced that the launch of Disney Epic Mickey, one of the most anticipated video game titles for 2010, will commence with an exclusive consumer event at the new Disney Store in Times Square. Fans will have an opportunity to purchase one of the first copies of the game in a celebration highlighting Mickey Mouse’s starring role, as well as Oswald the Lucky Rabbit’s first appearance in a new Disney story since 1928.

The new Disney Store located in Times Square will open its doors early at 7:00 a.m. on November 30th to allow New York residents to be some of the first to own the new Disney Epic Mickey video game. Renowned game designer, Warren Spector, will be on hand as consumers purchase the game, along with special celebrity guests.

Consumers will be entertained as they wait in line with custom sketch drawings from Disney Epic Mickey game artists, music from the game, “Tales of Wasteland” Disney Epic Mickey Digicomics, gameplay contests and many more surprises.

“Mickey Mouse is the world’s most recognizable character,” said Warren Spector, general manager and creative director, Disney Interactive Studios’ Junction Point. “It seems fitting to have a celebration of this magnitude to highlight his starring role in the Disney Epic Mickey video game, as well as his first meeting with his long lost half-brother, Oswald the Lucky Rabbit.”

Disney Epic Mickey is an action-adventure platforming game for the Wii console that sends Mickey Mouse on an epic journey of discovery and redemption. As Mickey, the player is propelled into Wasteland, an alternate world made up of Disney’s long forgotten characters and attractions, and is given the power to wield paint and paint thinner to dynamically change the world while determining Mickey’s path to becoming an epic hero.

Through the use of this unique paint and paint thinner, the key components of animation and Mickey’s tools for impacting his world, players will have the ability to shape how the story unfolds as they discover the concept of “Playstyle Matters” – an innovative style of gameplay created by Disney Interactive Studios’ Junction Point, led by industry luminary Warren Spector, where players creatively tackle different challenges in the world to explore all the possibilities and storylines – but with consequences for their chosen actions.

Disney Epic Mickey will also mark the first time that Oswald the Lucky Rabbit has appeared in a new Disney story since 1928. Walt Disney’s first beloved cartoon character, Oswald once starred in 26 cartoons and is regarded as one of the most popular silent cartoon characters of the 1920’s. Disney eventually lost the rights to Oswald the Lucky Rabbit due to a clause in a contract with cartoon distributor, Universal. In February 2006, The Walt Disney Corporation was able to regain rights to Oswald, bringing him back to the home of his creator. The launch of Disney Epic Mickey is expected to bring to light his past cartoon star status.

Disney Epic Mickey will be available exclusively for the Wii™ console on November 30, 2010.

Pretty cool.

You know, it's also pretty remarkable that it's four entire years into Wii's lifespan, and yet this is the first and probably last genuinely AAA Western-developed third-party exclusive for it. That says a lot.

What's the deal with that custom nunchuck styled as a paintbrush? That's not indicative of the controls, is it? Surely the remote is the paintbrush?

Penguin

Father_Brain said:
You know, it's also pretty remarkable that it's four entire years into Wii's lifespan, and yet this is the first and probably last genuinely AAA Western-developed third-party exclusive for it. That says a lot.

There was

And of course can't forget...

And who doesn't remember...

But yeah, it is kind of sad, but let's see how it does, maybe will finally be the nail that proves all those naysayers right.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
This is out already? I always lose track of release dates. Damn, and I'm probably going to wait till Christmas so I can gift it to the family...I hope its good.

Fantastical

Death Prophet
Father_Brain said:
Goldeneye? The budget had to be pretty hefty for that game.

WillyFive

Kenka said:
I feel like asking why the OP has such a tag, and if it is related in any way to the whole Epic Mickey ban affair...

Nah, it's unrelated to Epic Mickey. It's from Sonic threads.

MisterHero said:
I can't believe they didn't find a better name. :lol

Maybe this one just has the necessary weight

I like the name. It's simple and powerful.

JADS

Amazing game so far. The camera is a bit iffy from time to time, but a quick flick of the C button on the nunchuck or the 1 button on the wiimote does wonders. One tiny complaint is that "Classic" levels are extremly short. I finished
Steamboat Willy and Mickey and the Beanstack
within a minute. 60 FPS would have been nice, but the game looks really nice on the real hardware at 30 FPS locked. Heading back in :D

Emitan

JADS said:
Amazing game so far. The camera is a bit iffy from time to time, but a quick flick of the C button on the nunchuck or the 1 button on the wiimote does wonders. One tiny complaint is that "Classic" levels are extremly short. I finished
within a minute. 60 FPS would have been nice, but the game looks nothing short of amazing on the real hardware at 30 FPS locked. Heading back in :D
How are the 3D sections? One of my friends really wants to buy this game, but he's not sure if the gameplay is solid.

Peff

JADS said:
One tiny complaint is that "Classic" levels are extremly short. I finished
within a minute.

If what I read earlier is true, that's actually a good thing.

Jomjom

Banned
I love Oswald so what would make Epic Mickey truly epic is a scene at the end where the two join together to defeat some evil menace.

Top Bottom