• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Disney Epic Mickey |OT|

Peff

Fantastical said:
Yeah, apparently the 2D sections were outsourced, correct?

Yep, I think so, but it's not that, it's (not really a spoiler but just in case):
there are fetch quests between different worlds and each world only has one exit towards the main hub, which means you have to do two levels twice for each of those

Anth0ny

The Epic Mickey ban thread was, for lack of a better word... epic.

Can't wait for this. If that Mickey toy is even remotely high quality, I'm picking up that CE :D

V_Ben

Banned
SpacePirate Ridley said:
Was doing the official thread, bit seems i didnt get in time.
Good official thread though.

AFAIK, Willy doesn't claim OT's, he just does them on a sort of "First Come First Served" basis. Sorry man :(

Penguin

Father_Brain said:
I think a case can be made, but I don't consider Eurocom to be an AAA developer.

I think it really depends on the game though, most people probably wouldn't have considered Rocksteady a AAA developer before Arkham Asylum.

V_Ben said:
AFAIK, Willy doesn't claim OT's, he just does them on a sort of "First Come First Served" basis. Sorry man :(

Well, maybe I can post some of the drawings I was doing for it here (if willy doesnt mind), if people want them as wallpapers and avatars.

AndresON777

shooting blanks
MidnightRider said:
This game really makes me want to buy a Wii.

It's the only reason I've been holding on to mine. I traded in all my games and even the balance board.

Pumped, i freaking love mickey lol

JADS

Billychu said:
How are the 3D sections? One of my friends really wants to buy this game, but he's not sure if the gameplay is solid.

Decent enough so far. The camera is a bitch from time to time though. You can focus the camera on Mickey using the C-button or go firts person by using the 1 button on the Wiimote.

WillyFive

SpacePirate Ridley said:
Was doing the official thread, bit seems i didnt get in time.
Good official thread though.

Show us! No reason for that work to go to waste! Maybe you even have a better thread title!

Penguin said:
I think it really depends on the game though, most people probably wouldn't have considered Rocksteady a AAA developer before Arkham Asylum.

I admit it's arbitrary. In any case, my broader point was that the quality of Wii's third-party support, especially from Western developers, has been vastly disproportionate to the success of the system. I doubt anyone would argue with that.

Ganondorfo said:
Could this be the best mickey game ever? Lets hope so...

If it beats this, it'll be one of the best games ever full stop.

castle%20of%20illusion%20mickey%20mouse_002_Cuk.jpg

Can't wait for this! Epic Mickey has already provided us with multiple threads of entertainment... now we can finally play the game :D

Great time for people that love platformers.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
ultron87 said:
Might be the first Wii game I buy in a long time.
This appears in every Wii game thread.

EVERY. ONE.

There can be ten Wii threads for interesting recent/upcoming games on the front page, and in every one of them someone says "HERP FINALLY SOMETHING I CAN DUST OFF MY WII FOR" or "DERP FIRST WII GAME THAT LOOKS GOOD IN THE LAST YEAR AND A HALF" or "HAVEN'T TURNED MY WII ON SINCE MARIO KART" or something stupid like that.

Pay attention or STFU. Nobody cares how dusty your Wii is - that's your problem not the console's.

Fantastical

Death Prophet
timetokill said:
Can't wait for this! Epic Mickey has already provided us with multiple threads of entertainment... now we can finally play the game :D

Great time for people that love platformers.
For realz! DKCR in 3 days! WOOHOO!!

WillyFive

BigJonsson said:
If only the entire game was voice acted

Yeah.

After Kingdom Hearts did full voice acting and real time cutscenes, it's odd for Epic Mickey to use text and storyboard-like cutscenes instead.

But it does give it a classic Rareware vibe.

Willy105 said:
Yeah.

After Kingdom Hearts did full voice acting and real time cutscenes, it's odd for Epic Mickey to use text and storyboard-like cutscenes instead.

Oh, no, I'm happy it isn't. The voices would only irritate - by necessity - and I sort of like the old-school Nintendo vibe given by text boxes and noises to imitate speech.

EzLink

Banned
This seems like it has the potential to be one of the best games in recent memory to play through stoned. Very excited for that :D

I'm still a little hesitant though. I absolutely love the concept and art style and everything else, but it seems like there is potential for the execution to not be as tight as it should. Of course that is always a concern in any video game, but for some reason I'm feeling a little more concerned about it here.

Probably just me not wanting to acknowledge that I'll have to drop another $50 this month on a game though

farnham

Banned
Htown said:

EVERY. ONE.

There can be ten Wii threads for interesting recent/upcoming games on the front page, and in every one of them someone says "HERP FINALLY SOMETHING I CAN DUST OFF MY WII FOR" or "DERP FIRST WII GAME THAT LOOKS GOOD IN THE LAST YEAR AND A HALF" or "HAVEN'T TURNED MY WII ON SINCE MARIO KART" or something stupid like that.

Pay attention or STFU. Nobody cares how dusty your Wii is - that's your problem not the console's.
yeah the dusty wii joke got old ages ago

[Nintex]

Htown said:

EVERY. ONE.

I care I'm trying to complete my chart by the end of the generation
vyldhi.jpg

The M.O.B

Htown said:

EVERY. ONE.

Quoted for Great Justice.

WillyFive

EzLink said:
I'm still a little hesitant though. I absolutely love the concept and art style and everything else, but it seems like there is potential for the execution to not be as tight as it should. Of course that is always a concern in any video game, but for some reason I'm feeling a little more concerned about it here.

It's a valid concern. Other than the big guy, the studio is still new. Epic Mickey is their first game, I think.

And the gameplay videos I have seen definitely show less polish going into it as, say, Kirby, Sonic or Donkey Kong.

But if anything, it means that the experience will be a lot better since you expected less.

whatevermort said:
If it beats this, it'll be one of the best games ever full stop.

castle%20of%20illusion%20mickey%20mouse_002_Cuk.jpg

THIS. God, I loved this game. How I would love for this to somehow make it to the VC.

Htown said:

EVERY. ONE.

Honestly, lack of games hasn't been a problem since the first few months of the Wii's life. I feel like I have too many and I still haven't gotten around to picking up some I've been interested in.

MYE

Htown said:

EVERY. ONE.

My dusty Wii has no gaems. Its been in the closet since Resident Evil 4 :(

lol, i hate this shit too

WillyFive

[people] said:
wii is dusty

What I don't understand is the logic behind the dust argument.

Playing the Wii won't make the dust go away. In fact, the more you spend time around it, the more dust there will be, since dust is made up of your dead skin cells.

If it was unused in a closet, it should be perfectly clean. If your Wii is dusty, just clean it.

This is noticeable on your computers. It should be a compliment.

Willy105 said:
Yeah.

?

Since when is Kingdom Hearts fully voiced

Pretty much the only fully voiced JRPGs this generation have been Tales of Vesperia PS3 and....FFXIII, maybe?

Edit: Or did you mean only in cutscenes, because "full voice acting" has a different meaning.

Penguin

Htown said:

EVERY. ONE.

I've always found it kind of funny because dust can accumulate even when you use a product, clean your friggin rooms!

Not having played the game yet, I must say that I really hate the color palette used based on the screens I've seen. I'm by no means an expert when it comes to art, but those green shades mixed with that blue and purple almost makes me want to puke. I really thought that was something they were going to fix after seeing the initial WIP-screens a while ago.

Willy105 said:
I like the name. It's simple and powerful.

And makes absolutely no sense. It's three random words jumbled together, not a title. Seriously, Disney Epic Mickey. And call it a day. It gets the point across alright, I guess, but they could've done better.

That nitpick aside, I'm really looking forward to this. Probably won't pick it up till Christmas, as my gaming dollars are going to DKCR first, but I can't wait to try this out.

MYE

elementman said:
Not having played the game yet, I must say that I really hate the color palette used based on the screens I've seen. I'm by no means an expert when it comes to art, but those green shades mixed with that blue and purple almost makes me want to puke. I really thought that was something they were going to fix after seeing the initial WIP-screens a while ago.

You mean this?
Maleficent-maleficent-2400209-800-600.jpg

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
timetokill said:
So true :lol

But hey, if they can't port-beg, it's the next line of attack, generally.

I know, right?
2010 was packed full of great Wii games, we had freakin SMG2 and we got DK in a few days, so it's kind of funny to hear stuff like that. It ain't the Wii's fault you don't wanna play it.

but I guess I'm veering a little off topic, sorry

Willy105 said:
What I don't understand is the logic behind the dust argument.

Playing the Wii won't make the dust go away. In fact, the more you spend time around it, the more dust there will be, since dust is made up of your dead skin cells.

If it was unused in a closet, it should be perfectly clean. If your Wii is dusty, just clean it.

This is noticeable on your computers. It should be a compliment.

Actually, don't electronics attract more dust by running? I mean the *inside* of my old G4 tower got dusty.

WillyFive

megashock5 said:
Actually, don't electronics attract more dust by running? I mean the *inside* of my old G4 tower got dusty.

Exactly.

Prince of Space said:
And makes absolutely no sense. It's three random words jumbled together, not a title. Seriously, Disney Epic Mickey. And call it a day. It gets the point across alright, I guess, but they could've done better.

When figuring out a name, 'making sense' is not that high in the 'importance list'.

A game with a name like Mickey Goes To The Wasteland would make sense, but it certainly isn't going to sell, because it sounds incredibly boring.

But say something like Epic Mickey, and suddenly you have people's attention. It could mean so much.

Carlisle

Damn, with Epic Mickey, Goldeneye, and Sonic Colors, I can't remember a time when I had so many Wii 3rd party games to be stoked about in one month

Top Bottom