• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Disney Epic Mickey |OT|

Gotta admit, with people being extremely dissapointed with this title, I forsee lots of used copies availible at retailers soon enough. Which is when I will probably pick it up, when its cheaper and used.

markatisu

slasher_thrasher21 said:
Gotta admit, with people being extremely dissapointed with this title, I forsee lots of used copies availible at retailers soon enough. Which is when I will probably pick it up, when its cheaper and used.

Well its a Wii title so common sense tells you it will be lower priced in a few months (Most do)

But GAF does not equal the entire world, so I would not hedge your bets by the handful of people who think the game stinks

Kandinsky

slasher_thrasher21 said:
These "extremely dissapointed people" are just gaffers, dont overeact:lol

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
It's true. The few people willing to champion mediocrity usually do gather in groups like GAF. This game could be much worst off than I had imagined.

Peff

Rez said:
It's true. The few people willing to champion mediocrity usually do gather in groups like GAF. This game could be much worst off than I had imagined.

0KVEQ.jpg

Lijik

Freshmaker said:
Rare's collectathon heyday.
Yeah I know, but its not like the PS2 came out and developers said "Alright! This exploring collectathon shit is over". It just feels weird when people decide to emphasize the n64 part like in Robbienick's last post is all.

Decided not to pick this up until some time in the new year now, and only because I'm a Disney whore. When I think about it, there's just something about how this game was promoted that really irritates the hell out of me.

The way Warren Spector was out doing never ending interviews and constantly showing his face as though he was the Jesus Christ of gaming. Here he'd often go way over board about what this game was 'You can choose to be good or evil, it's unbelieveable!', or 'This has the bestest graphics ever on Wii!', and in the end it was almost inevitable that the game would disappoint.

That might be the way to promote a game on an HD console but as someone who plays a lot of games on Nintendo consoles, I'd rather you got rid of this 'Hollywood Hype' and showed me some amazing gameplay previews and trailers. I remember actually looking for cool gameplay vids to show friends, and not being able to find any. At the time I thought they were just holding back the surprises because of how good the game was, but now it seems they just had people talking with a bit of art work because they had nothing worthwhile showing.

I expected top 'Nintendo quality' with this game, that's what I was promised by Jesus after all, but in the end we're apparently left with something that isn't even close to the level of Super Mario Galaxy or Donkey Kong Country Returns, the latter of which I will be buying instead of this.

Hiltz

I never thought the day would come when Warren Spector would be right up there with Peter Molyneux,Yoshio Sakamoto, and Hideo Kojima. Yes, I mean that in a bad way.

If Spector and Junction Point get a chance, they can redeem themselves with a significantly improved sequel the way Ubisoft did with the Red Steel franchise.... and then watch it sell worse than the original title.

markatisu

Hiltz said:
If Spector and Junction Point get a chance, they can redeem themselves with a significantly improved sequel the way Ubisoft did with the Red Steel franchise.... and then watch it sell worse than the original title.

That is a tad overdramatic dont you think?

If they would fix the camera and put some more time into the levels a sequel with those changes would be well received imho

Red Steel vs Red Steel 2 was demolishing the 1st game to the point where the only thing linking the two was the fact you used the wiimote to aim and slice :lol

Freshmaker

I am Korean.
Lijik said:
Yeah I know, but its not like the PS2 came out and developers said "Alright! This exploring collectathon shit is over". It just feels weird when people decide to emphasize the n64 part like in Robbienick's last post is all.
Rare was just the big dog whoring out the horrible never good or ever interesting fetchathon. The N64 also happened to not have a lot of generic variety in comparison to the competition.

So it seems I was a bit hasty in condemning this game as AWFUL. I stand by my words about the tutorial phase being the worst thing ever pressed to a disk, but the game after that point is much more enjoyable. Still has a lot of problems, but gains better level design, charm, and Mickeyjunk mountain, which won me over the instant I saw the Magical Quest Starring Mickey Mouse SNES cartridge. I rented that like 10 times as a teenager :lol The 2D levels are getting better as well. I unlocked
an Oswald Cartoon, What a Knight
for collecting the film reels in the 2D levels, and that was suuuuuuch a cool unlockable. Made me like the character.

Mega Man's Electric Sheep said:
So it seems I was a bit hasty in condemning this game as AWFUL. I stand by my words about the tutorial phase being the worst thing ever pressed to a disk, but the game after that point is much more enjoyable. Still has a lot of problems, but gains better level design, charm, and Mickeyjunk mountain, which won me over the instant I saw the Magical Quest Starring Mickey Mouse SNES cartridge. I rented that like 10 times as a teenager :lol The 2D levels are getting better as well. I unlocked
an Oswald Cartoon, What a Knight
for collecting the film reels in the 2D levels, and that was suuuuuuch a cool unlockable. Made me like the character.

Yeah, the first couple of hours are a real mistake. I didn't hate them as much as some, but they are so plain, so drab compared to the rest of the game. If gets better in almost every way, visuals included.

one_kill said:
I really like how the game ends, but I'm confused about what happened to the Mad Doctor.

He
seems to be an animatronic
but nothing really happens to him, it seems they left that for the sequel.

BTW, did you know that in the first time we saw the start intro in one of the trailers, the Mad Doctor had his black cloak, that resembles the original character of the Phantom Blot?
Maybe it was something scrapped from the story.

The Mad Doctor in the cartoon short:
2L2UQ.jpg

The Mad Doctor as he first appeared in Epic Mickey:
weexq.jpg

The original design of the Phantom Blot:
Thr_Phantom_Blot_by_zombiegoon.jpg

If you see the first beta screens and the artworks, whole zones, worlds and ideas were totally o partially scrapped.

Ulairi said:
Is there a way to lock on to targets for the paint or thinner or anything?

You can hold down C (the screen will go slightly letterboxed), but it only seems to work for the larger or slower enemies.

This game is really starting to lose me, unfortunately. The errand running is such blatantly tedious busywork it's like some kind of lesson in anti-design.

On the other hand, the boss fights have been entertaining, at least relative to everything else, and unlocking the Oswald cartoon was seriously awesome.

Lijik

Freshmaker said:
Rare was just the big dog whoring out the horrible never good or ever interesting fetchathon. The N64 also happened to not have a lot of generic variety in comparison to the competition.
Right I get its a big point of reference, and people going "Its like an n64 platformer and I like it/mean it in a bad way" doesn't faze me. However for some reason when someone says "Man this is like a bad platformer... ON THE N64" where the n64 part is used as some smoking gun just bothers me. Bad platformers always be happenin yo.

Joe Shlabotnik said:
You can hold down C (the screen will go slightly letterboxed), but it only seems to work for the larger or slower enemies.
I haven't found an enemy I couldn't lock onto yet (granted I've had limited time for games this week and just got to the Tomorrow City hub last night). If you're in range for locking on, a small arrow appears over the enemies head and then just hold C.

KevinCow

Banned
Just finished the game.

It was... I dunno. I don't think my opinions on a game have ever fluctuated so wildly. I loved some parts, but I hated other parts. Overall, through the awful camera, iffy controls, and general unpolished feel of the game, I did like it. Yet, it wasn't anywhere near what it could have been.

I think one of my biggest complaints is how segmented the world feels. It's not like Zelda, where even though the whole world is sectioned off into Hyrule Castle Town, Kakariko Village, Zora's Domain and whatnot, it still feels like an overall world. Instead, it just feels like a bunch of smaller areas connected by completely unrelated 2D segments.

Then on top of that, I didn't like how outside of the four main town type areas, the game locked you off from every area after you completed it. To go back to the Zelda comparison, you can wander into the first dungeon of the game even after you've defeated Ganon, but once you complete the It's a Small World ride or Mickeyjunk Mountain, you can't go back just to look around or even finish up some sidequests.

Still, like I said, I enjoyed it in the end. I even liked the story. I'm not a huge Disney buff, but I'm familiar enough with the company and its history to get a number of the references. But even aside from Disney stuff, I like the way Mickey and Oswald were characterized in the game. And I liked the way the game changed based on the way you played, not just through the morality system, but just based on what you painted and thinned. It makes me want to replay it some time using more thinner than paint.

One question, though: What were pins for? They seemed to be the reward for a lot of sidequests and exploring, but they never actually seemed to do anything. Are they just general progress markers?

If it's successful, I'd love to see a sequel that fixes this one's issues and adds a nice coat of polish. Wait for next-gen for the bump in horsepower, too.

Games aside, I wonder if they're gonna keep Oswald around in the Mickey crew now.

NTom64

Just reached TomorrowLand. If possible, the combat and general gameplay just got even clunkier. Not to mention the camera seems to be on a mission to make sure I land in thinner pits as often as possible.

Sigh. After the nice things I had to say about Mickey Junk Mountain, too. :(

one_kill

SpacePirate Ridley said:
BTW, did you know that in the first time we saw the start intro in one of the trailers, the Mad Doctor had his black cloak, that resembles the original character of the Phantom Blot?
Maybe it was something scrapped from the story.
Wow. That could have been a cool twist!

gamingeek

17 hrs 50 minutes and I completed it. Quite a long adventure here. The end section had a few too many enemies and made you fight a fair few but nothing troubling - it was the last room of the game.

Really excellent ending, the production values and story are really well done. It's not a deep story with tons of twists, it's more an atmosphere and the concept and idea that you are to blame for all this.

Really enjoyed it overall, couple of technical complaints but nothing that really bothered me. The quests were interesting and fun, but they do fall into the Banjo type collect this, talk to him model. Levels were good, really enjoyed using paint and thinner to uncover things or build platforms.

Oh, only thing is, when you complete the game, you can't go back into it later to polish off the quests, you restart your save file from the beginning. Also like I said before the game can close locations off on you so you need to make sure you do everything you want to do in any given area before leaving. Ostown and Mean street are the only areas you can dick around in ad nauseam. If one of the robot characters tells you to get his/her pieces in a particular area, make sure you find them all before leaving the area or you might not get the chance to do it. You can buy the parts from the store but they are ridiculously expensive.

Oh yeah and the game has about 20 hrs of content (I didn't manage all the quests), so bear in mind that the first 3 hours are a little slow and uninspiring, but it gets better and there is a lot of good content in context.

Aside from a couple of paint shooting at feet incidents I haven't had any of the sloppy control or hit detection issues others have talked about. The game feels very polished to me, the camera is manual and could be better but it was nothing that impacted my enjoyment of the game.

KevinCow

Banned
NTom64 said:
Just reached TomorrowLand. If possible, the combat and general gameplay just got even clunkier. Not to mention the camera seems to be on a mission to make sure I land in thinner pits as often as possible.

Sigh. After the nice things I had to say about Mickey Junk Mountain, too. :(

Combat really is, by far, the weakest part of the game. Especially when Beetleworx get in the mix.

NTom64

KevinCow said:
Combat really is, by far, the weakest part of the game. Especially when Beetleworx get in the mix.

Yeah, those Spinner things were pissing me right off. Not really looking forward to dealing with more than one of those things at once, but it seems like they'll be all over TomorrowLand.

NTom64 said:
Yeah, those Spinner things were pissing me right off. Not really looking forward to dealing with more than one of those things at once, but it seems like they'll be all over TomorrowLand.

Dont worry, there are only like 15-20 total in the game, the little ones are the more numerous, the big ones, that are the ones that give problems are only like 5 in total.

KevinCow said:
I think one of my biggest complaints is how segmented the world feels. It's not like Zelda, where even though the whole world is sectioned off into Hyrule Castle Town, Kakariko Village, Zora's Domain and whatnot, it still feels like an overall world. Instead, it just feels like a bunch of smaller areas connected by completely unrelated 2D segments.

I think thats my biggest complain with the game, I would have love that the game felt more like a disneyland park, and it just felt like small zones of a bigger park.
I wouldnt say that the shorts where unrelated with the zones, becuase they usually matched well with the theme of the zone, but I would have liked that they would habe been use as new explorable zones, and not as corridors.

And even if the music is cool and I like it, Im angered with the no inclusion of music versions of the disneyland rides (only its a small world and mickey mouse club march were used). WTF, it was supossed to be a tribute game to disneyland, but the music was not.

[Nintex]

I get a feeling that Spector was making the most awesome game ever and they ended up scrapping a lot of content and replaced it with 'filler'. The pins they do nothing, zilch, it doesn't even unlock shit. Why is half of the challenges in this game so useless...

If Disney rushed this they can screw themselves, and yes they probably did because console game development at Disney will be dead in 2011 :(

Penguin

I like this game, but something just feels.. I don't know.

A lot of it seems to be like a giant playroom, you have a task, you complete it, you jump to a portal, and do a whole new section.

I like that choices don't always seem so black and white, and honestly, I don't know which is "good" and which is "bad" which is a nice thing, not sure how some of it plays out.

The camera is a very special being especially when it no longer shows you Mickey. :lol

hatchx

Banned
TheMagician said:
Decided not to pick this up until some time in the new year now, and only because I'm a Disney whore. When I think about it, there's just something about how this game was promoted that really irritates the hell out of me.

The way Warren Spector was out doing never ending interviews and constantly showing his face as though he was the Jesus Christ of gaming. Here he'd often go way over board about what this game was 'You can choose to be good or evil, it's unbelieveable!', or 'This has the bestest graphics ever on Wii!', and in the end it was almost inevitable that the game would disappoint.

That might be the way to promote a game on an HD console but as someone who plays a lot of games on Nintendo consoles, I'd rather you got rid of this 'Hollywood Hype' and showed me some amazing gameplay previews and trailers. I remember actually looking for cool gameplay vids to show friends, and not being able to find any. At the time I thought they were just holding back the surprises because of how good the game was, but now it seems they just had people talking with a bit of art work because they had nothing worthwhile showing.

I expected top 'Nintendo quality' with this game, that's what I was promised by Jesus after all, but in the end we're apparently left with something that isn't even close to the level of Super Mario Galaxy or Donkey Kong Country Returns, the latter of which I will be buying instead of this.

Best choice you'll make all year.

Wizpig

I see the thread has taken a turn for the ugly after the game came out in the US.

Apparently in this internet world being "just like a N64 platform game" is a baaad thing.

Agreed with TheMagician about the useless Spector hype, though.
"Graphics better than a Wii Nintendo game"... sure. no. not really.

Amir0x

Banned
Wizpig said:
being "just like a N64 platform game" is a baaad thing.

saddy.gif

- shit camera, mediocre platforming that feels like a pale, frail inferior copy of platformers made by infinitely superior developers, tedious collectathoning used to pad out length and mask mediocre level design, iffy controls, wonky framerate

oh yeah, it's an N64 platformer alright!

If only the core ideas weren't so appealing, this would just be complete shit.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Wizpig said:
I see the thread has taken a turn for the ugly after the game came out in the US.

Apparently in this internet world being "just like a N64 platform game" is a baaad thing.

Agreed with TheMagician about the useless Spector hype, though.
"Graphics better than a Wii Nintendo game"... sure. no. not really.
Most of the 3D platformers on N64 are pretty bad, especially the ones not made by Nintendo.

Wizpig

Amir0x said:
saddy.gif

- shit camera, mediocre platforming that feels like a pale, frail inferior copy of platformers made by infinitely superior developers, tedious collectathoning used to pad out length and mask mediocre level design, iffy controls, wonky framerate

oh yeah, it's an N64 platformer alright!

If only the core ideas weren't so appealing, this would just be complete shit.
I just want to make clear that i'm not saying Epic Mickey is the same quality of Mario 64 and Banjo-Kazooie.

But after you hear "it reminds me of N64 3d platformers" can you really say those N64 games were bad just because the focus was on collecting stuff? ...

Amir0x

Banned
To me, collectathoning is bad. It's never fun for me to tediously scour a level instead of facing, say, compelling platforming challenges. And that's what collectathoning generally does in these games... it pads game length by forcing gamers to do something inherently less interesting (while simultaneously attempting to mask a developer's mediocre level design). I don't know about you, by my idea of fun isn't do someone's chores for them or find a fucking coin hidden in a gigantic fucking level. Maybe yours is, but I do think any platformer which focuses on it is inferior than any one which does not.

But even so, even if you LOVED exploration platformers, this is a weak effort by any standard. It's got the core ideas in place - they are strong ideas with, might I say, clear effort behind them - but they simply are executed poorly at every turn. It's infuriating. I love Disney, I love Warren Spector, I love the IDEA of the paint/thinner mechanic being tied to morality choices. Everything that welds these concepts together is just...damn.

Lijik

I like some of the missions in this game, but most of them are tedious as fuck.
The one where you have to make a bouquet of flowers? Goddamn. At least you have the option of getting ice cream instead and being a dick.

I really, really like the game when you get to the actual worlds, but all of the town stuff in between is a chore.

[Nintex]

Lijik said:
I like some of the missions in this game, but most of them are tedious as fuck.
The one where you have to make a bouquet of flowers? Goddamn. At least you have the option of getting ice cream instead and being a dick.

I really, really like the game when you get to the actual worlds, but all of the town stuff in between is a chore.
What I don't like about Ostown is that they use the same hiding places for 3 quests or something. :lol

It's actually much closer in scope, length and design to Conker's Bad Fur Day, anyway (diametrically opposed content notwithstanding), which crushes it like a grape.

AniHawk

Amir0x said:
To me, collectathoning is bad. It's never fun for me to tediously scour a level instead of facing, say, compelling platforming challenges.

Collectathoning can be really awesome, but only when it's tied to platforming. NSMB and NSMBW's best parts were getting the extra coins, because the extra coins required you to complete more difficult platforming challenges.

Owzers

I just got to Mean Street........my disappointment in this game has now turned to anger. They should have just called it Fetch Town. Pressing A next to a door only to have a prompt come up saying " Would like you like to enter ____ , press A if yes B if no" WELL YES, I PRESSED A IN THE FIRST PLACE. Then it does the same thing when trying to exit.

Lijik

sillymonkey321 said:
I just got to Mean Street........my disappointment in this game has now turned to anger. They should have just called it Fetch Town. Pressing A next to a door only to have a prompt come up saying " Would like you like to enter ____ , press A if yes B if no" WELL YES, I PRESSED A IN THE FIRST PLACE. Then it does the same thing when trying to exit.
Real Talk.
I dont mind the fade to black during conversations, but the enter/exit prompts are fucking annoying.

markatisu

[Nintex] said:
I get a feeling that Spector was making the most awesome game ever and they ended up scrapping a lot of content and replaced it with 'filler'. The pins they do nothing, zilch, it doesn't even unlock shit. Why is half of the challenges in this game so useless...

If Disney rushed this they can screw themselves, and yes they probably did because console game development at Disney will be dead in 2011 :(

The pins to me are an inside joke, if you have ever been to Disney World or any of the Disney Parks you would understand the pin obsession.

They have pins for EVERYTHING, and they can cost $$$$ its almost like a religion. My wife laughed when I started playing and she said "well at least they don't charge you for the pins" and I walked into a shop and the character on screen asked me if I wanted to buy one :lol

Amir0x

Banned
AniHawk said:
So this game is basically Okami. Thanks everyone for saving me $50 and a lot of frustration.

lol Okami is a billion times better than this. Seriously, no matter how much people dislike the repeat bosses and what not, everything about Okami is polished. This game is the anti-polish.

AniHawk

Amir0x said:
lol Okami is a billion times better than this. Seriously, no matter how much people dislike the repeat bosses and what not, everything about Okami is polished. This game is the anti-polish.

Really? Okami was polished? How about feeding animals, the fact that you had to go to a loading screen to see a cutscene, and then a loading screen to get back to the game. Or how the game was padded with collectathons (find the dogs! find/roll the big bead things!). Or the minigames you were forced to do again and again. Or the inability to skip cutscenes.

I mean, this is ignoring the standard bad and frequent load times between any area, the subpar-to-decent level design for most of the game, the inability to turn the hint system off (not that you'd need it), the stupid fight system that closed you off from the rest of the world, the stupid leveling system which didn't really mean much outside of combat, and the more obvious padding stuff like the repeat boss fights (which, in Orochi's case, was objectively bad game design).

And that's not to say the overall package was bad. I mean, it held my attention for 36 hours, but the first third was plain ol' drudgery, and it was a slow improvement from then on until the (mostly) great finale. But man, it had problems.

Oh! While I have your attention, I want you to heed this plea: Do not buy Donkey Kong Country Returns. Don't do it. Please, for the love of god. Never ever play it for the rest of your life.

I played ten minutes of this game at a retailer and have never played Sonic Colors. I stumble into this thread to find that the general consensus is that the latest Sonic game is better than Epic Mickey.

My worldview has been shattered.

Top Bottom