• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Disney Epic Mickey |OT|

daakusedo said:
If there is someone who don't know if he can take this game, now it seems really difficult.
If you read what's wrote recently here, we're far from just mixed opinions.
For me now that's just about the quality of situations to decide.

Months ago, we have that preview that describe the things you can do to collect masks for Goofy.
Like use paint to open the back wall of his shop and steal a mask you already give him.

That was pretty encouraging. And I want to know if the game have more of this moments.

I didn't notice ways to "break" the game in that way, but it's quite possible I missed something. I didn't even complete any of the animatronics, to be honest, so I don't even know what happens when you do.

While the results of your choices could be difficult to predict, whatever options you had seemed to be pretty clear--the manual labor "paint" way, the destructive "thinner" way, or the lazy "pay off a Gremlin" way. That's simplifying it but I didn't really see any emergent alternatives.

Lijik

Joe Shlabotnik said:
I didn't notice ways to "break" the game in that way, but it's quite possible I missed something. I didn't even complete any of the animatronics, to be honest, so I don't even know what happens when you do.
Saving Goofy doesn't seem to really impact much, but by saving Donald you unlock a quest chain where a splatter is using a Donald voodoo doll. When you kill the splatter, you get possession of the doll and if you saved Daisy you can give it to her (which i did) or sell it to Pete. Maybe other people want it too, I don't know.

[Nintex]

Lijik said:
Saving Goofy doesn't seem to really impact much
All he does is walk around and vacuum and then he asks where is vacuum cleaner is. Saving Donald doesn't actually do anything at all, if the characters you saved would help you at the end of the game your actions would've meant something. All the time you're like: "I wonder how this'll affect the game" and nothing happens. At some point you're walking around with 40 or so Power Sparks when you need around 20 to get to the last world. The quests feel like a waste of time. In the end this game simply has too much filler because the main quest is certainly worth a look and the story is well done.

Another example is a guy who's sad that all the foilage is gone, so you help him by restoring 20 or so plants. After that he says: "Thank you, now go restore 40 or so plants in a different level!" so you restore those as well and he's like: "Yeah I love plants" and you just wasted 15 minutes of your life.

[Nintex]

gamingeek said:
He also unlocks ******** house, which gives you the locket which you then etc...
Ah yes that's true, but again the guy you give that thing to is like 'thanks' and after each and every quest you're like now what. A slightly different ending cutscene isn't a consequence.

Lijik

gamingeek said:
He also unlocks ******** house, which gives you the locket which you then etc...
Oh yeeeahh I totally forgot that.
I guess I just remembered what Donald nets you since you get two animated cutscenes and I love those.

gamingeek

[Nintex] said:
Ah yes that's true, but again the guy you give that thing to is like 'thanks' and after each and every quest you're like now what. A slightly different ending cutscene isn't a consequence.

When I completed the game the first time I realised that the end sequence is where things would change had you done them differently; as first time through I didn't save one of the animatronic guys.

2nd time through I have saved Goofy and Daisy but only have 1 of Donalds parts. It doesn't help that the game auto saved at a point where floating tables stopped, floating. Godamnit.

sinxtanx

I got the game yesterday and have been playing for some hours today.

Game is fun.

Not being able to choose English as the language, not so fun.

The swedish translation is an ABOMINATION. In such a story-heavy game, this is a pretty big deal.
Whoever made the decision not to include English in the scandinavian release, if we are ever in the same room together I WILL DESTROY YOU
with verbal abuse

I am unable to enjoy the game.

:(

ASDFHWEUIQKBNQIWEUFRHQLDFJKAOSJKlswbhJUAYSkdbnaiofhy8aqdbGUJKKLJHSFKDJBH

Lijik

ItWasMeantToBe19 said:
G4 nominated this for GAME OF THE YEAR while not nominating SMG2, what?
Pfft dude, that game is for kids.
G4 only plays hardcore mature titles like Ratchet and Clank.

MYE

I'm in Tortooga, and i'm stuck:lol

I
released the 3 prisioners, found Billy's Lost Belongings and painted two Lanterns so far. I think i need to find more thinned lanterns but i'm not having any luck

gamingeek

MYE said:
I'm in Tortooga, and i'm stuck:lol

I
released the 3 prisioners, found Billy's Lost Belongings and painted two Lanterns so far. I think i need to find more thinned lanterns but i'm not having any luck

One is right at the top of the highest building. The other I believe you thin out the stairs and drop down the hole.

Lijik

gamingeek said:
And remember that you can only find 3 out of 4 Daisy parts. The last is given to you once you beat the boss and return back to Ventureland.
The same goes for the Donald parts, and I could be remembering wrong but one of his parts is in the boss room.
Would have put me at ease if I had known those bits beforehand.

[Nintex]

sinxtanx said:
I got the game yesterday and have been playing for some hours today.

Game is fun.

Not being able to choose English as the language, not so fun.

The swedish translation is an ABOMINATION. In such a story-heavy game, this is a pretty big deal.
Whoever made the decision not to include English in the scandinavian release, if we are ever in the same room together I WILL DESTROY YOU
with verbal abuse

I am unable to enjoy the game.

:(

ASDFHWEUIQKBNQIWEUFRHQLDFJKAOSJKlswbhJUAYSkdbnaiofhy8aqdbGUJKKLJHSFKDJBH
Set your Wii system languange to English, it did the trick for me and the horrible Dutch version.

Amir0x

Banned
MYE said:
"Childness" is proclaiming that a game is in fact shit and trying to justify positive opinions with "bad taste" or lower standards.

I feel no desire in disscussing about the music, art or other aspects of the game (things that naturally occur during the lifecycle of an Official Topic) when the same people keep coming back to say the same shit over and over and basically hijack the damn thread and prevent it from going anywhere. Thats the reason why when i hate something, i point it out, maybe elaborate on it and leave.

But thats me, i'm not telling how people should behave on message boards, i'm just pissed off that some dont seem to want this one to move on.

And again, i didnt mention names. There are alot of not so positive opinions here that have valid reasons to back them up. Never said otherwise

I'm so fucking tired of this shit. If you don't like the negativity, IGNORE it and post your own thoughts. If you take issue with the problems people have with the game, specifically respond to the various points made. NOBODY is saying you can't love the game, in fact. We're just posting our thoughts. The thing that ruins threads and derails threads is these stupid whiny little comments from those who hate their sacred cows being slandered. Positivity and Negativity are allowed in equal order, whether you like it or not.

It's a discussion forum, not a rainbow and unicorn and fairy dust forum. If you want that, by all means go find the Epic Mickey forum and jerk it off there.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
what bothered me specifically about that guy's posts is that they were always a few below mine and would never actually mention me or anyone else by name or actually address any points.

I want people to call me out on shit if I'm typing a long-rant that's completely off-base. It's the only way I'll learn.

Sadist

Still a shame this game didn't live up to the hype.

I started a second playthrough but quickly asked myself: "why am I doing this?" And no, that's not because I didn't like the game. It has it's magical moments because of the presentation and has a few memorable parts, but for a second playthrough it doesn't have enough content to actually discover. I don't think it's about technical limitations, but about bad decisions regarding the game's structure. The game had to many "open spots" that need to be filled.

so are the rose-colored glasses off for this game yet?

if so, is there a GAF consensus either way? was thinking about picking this one up, but I'd like some objective opinions first.

Amir0x

Banned
Dreams-Visions said:

if so, is there a GAF consensus either way? was thinking about picking this one up, but I'd like some objective opinions first.

I mean, if anything I'd say rent. That's about as strong a recommendation as I can give it. It's hard for anyone to objectively say the game isn't without a metric fuckton of flaws, it's how you measure those flaws that seem to make a difference. So, rent it.

Lijik

Dreams-Visions said:

Pretty much what Amirox said. Don't commit to a purchase before you're sure you can find fun despite its flaws.

sinxtanx

[Nintex] said:
Set your Wii system languange to English, it did the trick for me and the horrible Dutch version.
Didn't work. My disc only has Swedish, Danish and Norwegian on it. GOD FUCKING DAMNIT I HATE DISNEY RIGHT NOW

I AM NOT EIGHT YEARS OLD

I hate that they don't warn you that you're leaving this place forever.
I was at the Jungle collecting those gems, then I entered the treehouse. After entering, you're not allowed to go back out.

JohngPR

*Tries to lighten things up*

Mickey is so full of himself!

ed70.jpg

:p

Well rented this last night since the girlfriends kid and herself were interested in the game. I can say I liked what I played. I def agree with everyone sayings its like an old school n64 platformer. Though maybe thats why I'm enjoying it.

I will say the camera is pretty bad though, and I have to baby it constantly. First attempt Junction Point, isn't terrible but you have alot to learn. From what I have played so far, (about to hit the first boss battle I believe) I'd say they have some sound ideas, but just not enough fine implementation. Though I do love the charm and what they have here... just needed more time (aka polish) imo.

gamingeek

slasher_thrasher21 said:
Well rented this last night since the girlfriends kid and herself were interested in the game. I can say I liked what I played. I def agree with everyone sayings its like an old school n64 platformer. Though maybe thats why I'm enjoying it.

I will say the camera is pretty bad though, and I have to baby it constantly. First attempt Junction Point, isn't terrible but you have alot to learn. From what I have played so far, (about to hit the first boss battle I believe) I'd say they have some sound ideas, but just not enough fine implementation. Though I do love the charm and what they have here... just needed more time (aka polish) imo.

If you are only at the first boss you have the best stuff to come.

Stick with it.

And for people with problems on the flower quest I will just spell it out now:

Thin out the flower garden, there is a hole in the ground. Thin out the wall near the gag factory opposite the bridge. Thin out the wall area behind the houses. Climb the roof of the gag factory (building with the safe)

gamingeek said:
If you are only at the first boss you have the best stuff to come.

Stick with it.

And for people with problems on the flower quest I will just spell it out now:

Thin out the flower garden, there is a hole in the ground. Thin out the wall near the gag factory opposite the bridge. Thin out the wall area behind the houses. Climb the roof of the gag factory (building with the safe)

Well for as much as I'm enjoying the 2 hour slug of a tutorial as some people have proclaimed, I figured once I get past that, I should really enjoy it. I won't give up on it though it is a rental. I'll try to get through it before I return it, but if not we might end up buying it for the kids anyways.

Next up after this is Donkey Kong. Yeah I'm behind!

gamingeek

slasher_thrasher21 said:
Well for as much as I'm enjoying the 2 hour slug of a tutorial as some people have proclaimed, I figured once I get past that, I should really enjoy it. I won't give up on it though it is a rental. I'll try to get through it before I return it, but if not we might end up buying it for the kids anyways.

Next up after this is Donkey Kong. Yeah I'm behind!

It took me about 3 hours or more to get to Mean Street (the hub level) but the game is 17 hrs + depending on how many quests you take up.

I love Epic Mickey so far! with that said I only paid $15 dollars for it.

take that for whats its worth.

edit: Camera kind of sucks, but with the D-pad and double tapping C to center it behind you I have not had to struggle with it much, Also I read a lot of people telling me there is no lock on but holding C seems to lock on for me? am I crazy?

GeekyDad

Amir0x said:
...go find the Epic Mickey forum and jerk it off there.

:lol Do they do circle jerks, I wonder?

I actually find it very interesting when a game has such a distinct division (technical issues notwithstanding).

gamingeek

JetBlackPanda said:
I love Epic Mickey so far! with that said I only paid $15 dollars for it.

take that for whats its worth.

edit: Camera kind of sucks, but with the D-pad and double tapping C to center it behind you I have not had to struggle with it much, Also I read a lot of people telling me there is no lock on but holding C seems to lock on for me? am I crazy?

The game does have a lock on, it's just little sites like IGN, Eurogamer, 1up, Joystiq etc that don't know this.

*facepalm*

BTW this feature is really good:

50 Disney references in Epic Mickey
http://www.gamesradar.com/f/50-disney-references-in-epic-mickey/a-2010120911369605019

markatisu

Rated-Rsuperstar said:
But where are the hidden mickeys?

Yeah i was wondering that as well, they nailed the damn pin thing perfectly. Only thing they are missing is the Pin Traders that they have in the theme parks :lol

Lijik

gamingeek said:
Daisy keeps saying she has some link with Donald but needs electricity? What should I be doing?
Maybe thats what the gear the phone can leave behind is for? I never found a use for it.

I don't think this game is that bad and I've come to enjoy it despite a lot of busted qualities...but I'm shocked that close to eight hours of steadily lowering my expectations for what an acceptable camera is, this game still manages to fly under those inner core standards. I can't believe this is 2010 and a camera this bad exists. This is down there with Drake of the 99 Dragons in the ranks of worst cameras in a game ever. I don't even want to compare it to N64/Saturn/PS1 games anymore.

If they fixed the camera, I would be enjoying this a lot more. It is a disappointment, but maybe my hopes were a bit too high considering the talent and concept. Quality wise it is probably comparable to the C-grade platformers on the ps2, and that's totally fine.

Top Bottom