• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Disney Epic Mickey: Rebrushed | Review Thread

Draugoth

Gold Member

26db10cf470c7ed0c76282323b09b4f9b80907c92cbf5dbb24b2e63f6e57aaa2

Game Information​

Game Title: Disney Epic Mickey: Rebrushed

Platforms:
  • Nintendo Switch (Sep 24, 2024)
  • PlayStation 4 (Sep 24, 2024)
  • PlayStation 5 (Sep 24, 2024)
  • Xbox Series X/S (Sep 24, 2024)
  • Xbox One (Sep 24, 2024)
  • PC (Sep 24, 2024)
Trailers:
Developer: Purple Lamp

Publisher: THQ Nordic

Critic Reviews​

Analog Stick Gaming - Jeff M Young, Jordan Andow - 6 / 10
Epic Mickey: Rebrushed is a product of its time, and Purple Lamp has done a fine enough job at rebuilding its world and tending to maintain what it was, even if I truly feel it needed some more work to make it fun for today’s standards. Despite my issues with the core game still being a bit too outdated, this is easily the best version of the game as it is considerably better looking and has a far better framerate. It doesn’t bring anything new to the genre that you haven’t seen before, and despite the Paint and Thinner mechanics knocking at that door, they are far too basic to really be revolutionary or inventive, even for the time. Epic Mickey was a fine enough game 14 years ago, but now, it’s an outdated relic that is the definition of paint by number.

But Why Tho? - Mick Abrahamson - 7 / 10
Epic Mickey Rebrushed is a warm welcome, even if several aspects leave you wanting more improvements.

COGconnected - Jaz Sagoo - 75 / 100
Quote not yet available

ComingSoon.net - Tyler Treese - 8.5 / 10
Epic Mickey: Rebrushed is a remake done the right way. Not only does it look and play better than the original, but the original creators were consulted and gave their input as well.

Cubed3 - Az Elias - 7 / 10
Epic Mickey: Rebrushed will be a fun time for any 3D platformer and Disney fan, with all sorts of references to the past. It is a fascinating game that brings people deeper into the characters and worlds that Walt Disney created in his early days, and will be worth exploring Wasteland again for those that played the original Wii version thanks to the improvements made mechanically and visually. This is still a rather basic platformer that treads the line of tedium due to outdated fetch quests, and voice acting could have really benefitted the story scenes, but there is a great charm to this game, despite the darker tone, that will appeal to many.

GAMES.CH - Benjamin Braun - German - 80%
Quote not yet available

Gameliner - Rudy Wijnberg - Dutch - 3.5 / 5
Disney Epic Mickey: Rebrushed is a charming and original platformer that, despite its slower pace, dated storytelling, and occasional control issues, will delight fans of the original while still offering an enjoyable experience.

GamingTrend - David Flynn - 75 / 100
While a gorgeous remake with great quality of life features, Disney Epic Mickey: Rebrushed still suffers by being itself. Outside of the aesthetic and choices, Epic Mickey was a fairly rote platformer with uninteresting challenges and objectives. Rebrushed adds a wonderful new coat of paint, but it's still the same game at its core.

IGN Spain - Estrella Gomez - Spanish - 9 / 10
Disney Epic Mickey: Rebrushed brings back the beloved Wii classic, and does it spectacularly. In addition to having the basics, such as improved graphics, the remake adds new features to the original adventure, such as improved control and new moves for the main character. It is sure to become a real gem for fans of the animation studio.

MondoXbox - Mirko Rossi - Italian - 7.5 / 10
Epic Mickey: Rebrushed is a solid, well-packaged remake that delivers an exciting, entertaining (not just for fans of the Disney universe) and content-rich adventure. More attention to the technical aspect, the introduction of more modern mechanics and the presence of extended voice acting would have allowed it to reach higher heights, but as it is, it remains a highly recommended adventure.

MonsterVine - Spencer Legacy - 4 / 5
Epic Mickey: Rebrushed fixes many of the issues the original game had to craft a much-improved version of the hidden gem. A few irritating issues persist, but for the most part, this is the way Epic Mickey was always meant to be experienced.

Nintendo Life - Mitch Vogel - 8 / 10
Epic Mickey: Rebrushed is a welcome return for one of Mickey's most memorable adventures, this is just about everything one could've wanted out of a revisit to a lost classic. It fumbles its execution a bit with the performance, but there are enough novel ideas and enjoyable gameplay concepts here to make the experience more than worth your while. Enjoyable gameplay, a captivating world, lots of replayability, and a raft of tweaks and improvements over the original make this one an easy sell. We'd recommend this to anyone looking for a big-budget 3D platformer that does things a little differently from the genre norms, and of course to anyone who considers themselves an avid Disney fan.

PSX Brasil - Portuguese - 100 / 100
Quote not yet available

Press Start - Harry Kalogirou - 8.5 / 10
Disney Epic MIckey: Rebrushed is a joy to revisit or play for the first time in 2024. The few design flaws that do present aren't nearly impactful enough to bring down the whole experience. Epic Mickey remains one of Disney's strongest showing in the medium of games, and Rebrushed is a nostalgic and heartwarming reminder why.

Push Square - Ken Talbot - 7 / 10
Epic Mickey is still an enjoyable platformer with impeccable artistic talent driving it. The repetitive combat and exploration remains, but the Rebrushed updates go some way to remedying those shortcomings.

Rock, Paper, Shotgun - Unscored
A strong remaster of a cult classic 3D platformer, which will please long time fans and mostly excite newcomers, even if it's a bit naff in spots.

Spaziogames - Italian - 7.5 / 10
Disney's Epic Mickey: Rebrushed is a solid revitalization of a work with grand ambitions, perhaps weighed down by the high expectations surrounding its creator. While it remains a good game, straddling the line between platformer and action-adventure, the overall quality feels somewhat inconsistent. The remaster smooths out some of the game's more notorious rough edges and improves certain aspects of gameplay, but it can't fully overturn the fate of a title that needed to do much more to leave a lasting impression.

TheSixthAxis - Steve C - 7 / 10
Epic Mickey Rebrushed is the ultimate version of the game and the team at Purple Lamp have clearly put a lot of love into updating the game for a contemporary audience. That being said, the additions to Mickey's moveset are completely unnecessary and the core game remains largely the same. If you've played Epic Mickey before then this version will bring back any nostalgia you have for the game and if you haven't then it is a good way to experience a neglected title. The lack of anything more than a cosmetic upgrade does make the high price a little hard to justify but this is still a solid game for anyone with a fondness for the Mouse.

WellPlayed - Kieron Verbrugge - 8.5 / 10
Although the new coat of paint and quality of life updates probably won't change the minds of anyone who didn't click with this oddity of a 3D platformer the first time, Disney Epic Mickey: Rebrushed successfully recaptures the magic of the original, making it well worth a look-in, both for fans and those that missed it on the Wii.

XboxEra - Genghis Husameddin - 8.3 / 10
Disney Epic Mickey: Rebrushed is an excellent remaster of one of the Wii's best games. It fixes its shortcomings, adds to it with quality-of-life changes, and most importantly makes it available to all on modern platforms. Rebrushed does a good job being both a 3D platformer and a narrative driven-adventure title, sprinkled in with a lot of love for old Disney animation---a fun, unique adventure game for all.

Last edited:

Cakeboxer

Gold Member
Looks decent to me. I recently played SpongeBob SquarePants: Battle for Bikini Bottom - Rehydrated with a 69 Metacritic and had lots of fun.

kruis

Exposing the sinister cartel of retailers who allow companies to pay for advertising space.
That was a wonderful trailer, but then again, I've been a lifelong fan of Disney's animated classic and seeing all those references to vintage Disney cartoon hits all the right notes for me. I got stuck at some point in the Wii version, I'll have to pick up the remaster for either PC or PS and see how much improved it is now.

Last edited:

wipeout364

I had a good time playing it on the original release. I think it was on the Wii. It was a good game with a gimmicky paint mechanic ( motion control). These reviews seem totally in line with what I would expect.

You play this game for the world of old classic Disney primarily, if that doesn’t interest you don’t waste your time.

Mr Hyde

Interested in this as I've never played it before. Any word if the Switch version is broken? That's the one I'm eyeing the most but if it's a trash port I'll go with PS or PC.

JimboJones

Interested in this as I've never played it before. Any word if the Switch version is broken? That's the one I'm eyeing the most but if it's a trash port I'll go with PS or PC.
I played the demo and honestly it looks like it's more or less the same resolution as the Wii original 😅.
It's pretty blurry with wobbly performance.
I didn't really liked the original version much and nothing from the demo has changed my opinion on it. It's not terrible but it's not great either, definitely wouldn't be buying it at full price.
I'm kinda shocked at the scores being relatively high but maybe it's just not for me.

Last edited:

Mr Hyde

I played the demo and honestly it looks like it's more or less the same resolution as the Wii original 😅.
I didn't really liked the original version much and nothing from the demo has changed my opinion on it. It's not terrible but it's not great either, definitely wouldn't be buying it at full price.
I'm kinda shocked at the scores being relatively high but maybe it's just not for me.

Gonna check out the demo and see how it is. I read that the Switch version also has long load times up to 40 seconds which sounds horrible and something I just don't want to bother with.

ManaByte

It's definitely running a higher resolution than the Wii did. But it's still a 17 year old game.

I just tried the demo on Swith and PS5 to compare.. Yikes. I would really like to have the physical Switch version but it truly looks like ass on my 65 inch TV. Or course it's no surprise that the PS5 version looks smoother and crisper but the resolution on Switch has to be well under 1080p for this game. No way.

SpiceRacz

Gold Member
lol @ this reviewing better than the original.

I absolutely love the original despite it's shortcomings. It was a really fun game for the time. I'll probably pick it up on sale.

ZehDon

Never played the original on the Wii, might pick this up when the price comes down. Anything from Warren Spector is worth a look - even if its just a remake.

Daniel Thomas MacInnes

GAF's Resident Saturn Omnibus
This is a good time to point out that Epic Mickey 1 & 2 on Nintendo Wii can still be found for $5-$10 each. This new remaster has really helped to keep prices down, and the Wii's software prices remain very affordable, even though they have risen a little since the GameStop selling spree several years ago (when you could grab nearly everything for a fiver).

Chuck Berry

Gold Member
Might be worth giving a try again then, when it came out it reviewed relatively well but the camera was always listed as what kept it back from alot of reviews calling it good. I remember trying it and yeah the camera was somehow worse than sm64s if I remember correctly.

Yup, I was super hyped for it back in the Wii days and the camera completely killed it for me. I just couldn't get used to the sloppiness and the lack of an option to invert.

Definitely try the demo out. I really enjoyed what I played. Ive been a sucker for Mickey action games since the 16-bit days and this for sure hit the same pleasure zones.

Chuck Berry

Gold Member
Caved and got it. Pretty hyped actually. I feel like it'll basically be my first time playing for real considering I barely lasted an hour when it released. And I was incredibly excited for some dark, twisted Disney at the time. Gotta say, an adventurey, platformer collectathon like this I find way more appealing than say, Astro Bot. The concept and aesthetic alone is way more appealing to me.

I have a feeling this is going to go under most everyone's radar as it's one of the better made remasters/remakes Ive played in awhile (and this is just going by the demo).

Also this is a cool watch

Might throw together a quick OT too unless someone else was planning on it.

Top Bottom