• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Disney Infinity 3.0 |OT| Episode 3: The Playset Awakens

curb

Banned
Ike Perlmutter..

He doesn't want to do female hero merchandise.

And he finalized the Infinity releases.

Wanda is the most requested and now MCU and its merch isn't under his umbrella which is why on the theater promos and posters Wanda is there instead of Sharon who is on the earlier promo stuff.

It seems to be representative of an old boy's club mentality when it comes to these things. It's not just Marvel though. There was that news of a supposed merchandising insider who said a lot of the Rey merch for Force Awakens was axed so they could focus on Kylo Ren who they apparently thought would be the breakout character. Star Wars and Marvel toys are still almost exclusively boy focused even though there are all kinds of young girls (and adult women) who love the properties. It's just sad and Marvel isn't the only one to blame for shortcomings like this in Infinity.

Toys r us is having some nice discounts this weekend. Finally time to grab some players and extra figures.
http://infinityinquirer.com/2016/01...sney-infinity-deals-this-saturday-at-toysrus/

This Saturday (1/23/16), both online & in-store, you can pick up the following deals….

50% off ALL Disney Infinity Playsets
$39.99 Disney Infinity 3.0 Star Wars Starter Pack regularly priced $64.99
2 for $17 ALL Disney Infinity 3.0 Single Figures

Awesome, glad I held off on the 9.99 bestbuy deals this week.

RK128

She really seemed like a no-brainer for this playset. As I said, there must be a reason for her absence. She had go have at least been on the table for this release.

I am thinking Quicksilver and Scarlet Witch's exclusion was due to issues with Fox/X-Men instead of Disney not caring. I mean, if they don't have the licensing for toys/games for the two characters, then they would have issue putting them in Infinity (even if its the Age of Ultron Versions).

Otherwise I don't get why they ignored those two for 3.0 :(. I guess they figured "Who cares, we got our male heroes the boys will love getting :D!" or something like that.

curb

Banned
I am thinking Quicksilver and Scarlet Witch's exclusion was due to issues with Fox/X-Men instead of Disney not caring. I mean, if they don't have the licensing for toys/games for the two characters, then they would have issue putting them in Infinity (even if its the Age of Ultron Versions).

Otherwise I don't get why they ignored those two for 3.0 :(. I guess they figured "Who cares, we got our male heroes the boys will love getting :D!" or something like that.

I'm fairly certain that Marvel has all the licensing for all their characters. There's all kinds of AoU twins merch from them on lunch boxes to Hot Toys figures. I don't think there's anything from stopping them from being in Infinity except Marvel themselves.

I'm fairly certain that Marvel has all the licensing for all their characters. There's all kinds of AoU twins merch from them on lunch boxes to Hot Toys figures. I don't think there's anything from stopping them from being in Infinity except Marvel themselves.

Yeah and that goes back to Ike.
Will have to wait and see if more merch is added now that the MCU isn't under Ike.

Lets see if we get more female characters added with Dr. Strange and Thor 3.

curb

Banned
I wonder who handles merchandising for the MCU now that the movie divsion has been split out - Marvel Studios or Marvel Everythingelse.

Toys r us is having some nice discounts this weekend. Finally time to grab some players and extra figures.
http://infinityinquirer.com/2016/01...sney-infinity-deals-this-saturday-at-toysrus/

This Saturday (1/23/16), both online & in-store, you can pick up the following deals….

50% off ALL Disney Infinity Playsets
$39.99 Disney Infinity 3.0 Star Wars Starter Pack regularly priced $64.99
2 for $17 ALL Disney Infinity 3.0 Single Figures

Nice! I'm gonna grab Rise Against The Empire, Han, Chewie, Poe and Kylo!

sTiTcH AU

Just grabbed Kilo Ren on sale and when I got home noticed that the box was slightly open and the redeem code was missing. Back to the store I go.

I would think that having their own versions of Quiksilver and SW in the MCU( an interesting twist) makes those figures fair game for marketing figures if they're being used elsewhere. I mean what is Scarlett's connection with Fox, anyway? I wasn't aware there was one.

I also believe BBY will match this as well. So if you have GCU, even more bonus.

Thanks, I actually live outside NA and no GCU, so I'd have to order it online.

//ARCANUM

Are there any sites up yet doing a pre-order for marvel battlegrounds and letting you add an additional marvel figure to your order for free? As is supposed to be the deal?

fernoca

Are there any sites up yet doing a pre-order for marvel battlegrounds and letting you add an additional marvel figure to your order for free? As is supposed to be the deal?
Gamestop seems to be the only one and a choice of a Marvel 2.0 figure. They are also charging the regular $34.99 for it and is in-store only.

Amazon has it for $29.99 or $23.99 with Prime. So they already priced it lower than the $34.99 of a playset with 2 figures.

Seems to vary by retailer rather than an universal deal.

//ARCANUM

Gamestop seems to be the only one and a choice of a Marvel 2.0 figure. They are also charging the regular $34.99 for it and is in-store only.

Amazon has it for $29.99 or $23.99 with Prime. So they already priced it lower than the $34.99 of a playset with 2 figures.

Seems to vary by retailer rather than an universal deal.

huh. interesting that disney is toting it as "THE DEAL" when retailers aren't really applying it. Also, I find it funny that retailers have been clearancing all these 2.0 figures to get them off shelves and now Disney wants retailers to have them on shelves again....

fernoca

huh. interesting that disney is toting it as "THE DEAL" when retailers aren't really applying it. Also, I find it funny that retailers have been clearancing all these 2.0 figures to get them off shelves and now Disney wants retailers to have them on shelves again....
Yep and since the figure is given at the moment you preorder, options will be even more limited.

If anything people should wait that they get (if they get) any specific figure and preorder that moment.

But seeing how the retailers will technically charge you for it, is not completely free.

Now if Amazon ups the price and starts giving away the figure...then my advise would be to preorder on Amazon just in case they change things.

fernoca

Yep. Just noticed Best Buy joined.
Seems it was a last minute decision based on the bad impression the $30 pricetag left on many. So stores are slowly joining.

Need help picking a 2.0 character to go along with new Cap (as I have none other than GotG PS)

I know this is subjective, but could I get a few suggestions for a really fun 2.0 Marvel character, hopefully someone powerful too? Thanks

They need to not limit it to 2.0 marvel figures. Those things are being frequently sold at $5 nowadays. Now, if you could get Hulkbuster, Ultron, or one of the upcoming Antman/Panther figures free with it, then we're onto something.

Need help picking a 2.0 character to go along with new Cap (as I have none other than GotG PS)

I know this is subjective, but could I get a few suggestions for a really fun 2.0 Marvel character, hopefully someone powerful too? Thanks
Flying characters are always fun! Nova and Spidey are two of my favs but I guess they're not part of the deal. Hawkeye is very powerful fully leveled.

nightmare-slain

Gold Member
i'm thinking of getting into this game but trying to figure out how it all works.

i downloaded the steam version yesterday but it had horrible v-sync/screen tearing. i tried forcing it through AMD crimson but tearing was still there. i happen to also have a ps4/xbox one so will be looking to play on them instead. how is the performance on them? what resolution/fps? surely both ps4/xb1 can do 1080p 30fps? not sure about 60fps.

what i'm looking at buying right now are Disney Infinity 3.0: Star Wars Starter Pack and Infinity 3 Force Awakens EU Playset Pack. I will get the other Playset with Luke/Leia at some point.

As I understand it these will allow me to play both Twilight of the Republic and Force Awakens Playsets. What I'm not sure about is the Toy Box mode. Do I need to buy access to that AND the modes or just the modes?

I will be buying mostly Star Wars figures so I will be able to play with those characters in any of the Star Wars playsets? For example, Kylo Ren in Twilight of the Republic or Luke in Force Awakens? Apart from Star Wars figures I will probably also look to buy Micky Mouse/Toy Story figures but these are from earlier version of the game. I will still be able to use them in Toy Box mode? I'm guessing the same is true going forward with Star Wars figures I buy. In 4.0 they won't be available in playsets but will be playable in Toy Box mode?

curb

Banned
i'm thinking of getting into this game but trying to figure out how it all works.

i downloaded the steam version yesterday but it had horrible v-sync/screen tearing. i tried forcing it through AMD crimson but tearing was still there. i happen to also have a ps4/xbox one so will be looking to play on them instead. how is the performance on them? what resolution/fps? surely both ps4/xb1 can do 1080p 30fps? not sure about 60fps.

what i'm looking at buying right now are Disney Infinity 3.0: Star Wars Starter Pack and Infinity 3 Force Awakens EU Playset Pack. I will get the other Playset with Luke/Leia at some point.

As I understand it these will allow me to play both Twilight of the Republic and Force Awakens Playsets. What I'm not sure about is the Toy Box mode. Do I need to buy access to that AND the modes or just the modes?

I will be buying mostly Star Wars figures so I will be able to play with those characters in any of the Star Wars playsets? For example, Kylo Ren in Twilight of the Republic or Luke in Force Awakens? Apart from Star Wars figures I will probably also look to buy Micky Mouse/Toy Story figures but these are from earlier version of the game. I will still be able to use them in Toy Box mode? I'm guessing the same is true going forward with Star Wars figures I buy. In 4.0 they won't be available in playsets but will be playable in Toy Box mode?

PS4/XB1 is 1080/30. I've seen some complaints on Reddit about the XB1 version but I don't have anything concrete. I've got the PS4 version and it seems fine to me but I'm not a performance guy.

The Starter Pack is just Twilight. Force Awakens is sold separately.

All Star Wars characters are playable in all Star Wars sets but if they you want a character from a different playset (say Kylo Ren in Twilight) you'll need to find their character coin in game to unlock them.

All characters so far have been forwards compatible in the Toy Box mode and I doubt that will stop anytime soon.

nightmare-slain

Gold Member
PS4/XB1 is 1080/30. I've seen some complaints on Reddit about the XB1 version but I don't have anything concrete. I've got the PS4 version and it seems fine to me but I'm not a performance guy.

The Starter Pack is just Twilight. Force Awakens is sold separately.

All Star Wars characters are playable in all Star Wars sets but if they you want a character from a different playset (say Kylo Ren in Twilight) you'll need to find their character coin in game to unlock them.

All characters so far have been forwards compatible in the Toy Box mode and I doubt that will stop anytime soon.
thank you for the reply. think i'm gonna pick it up.

//ARCANUM

Wow. So the best buy deal is live

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/offer/153601/pcmcat748301635321.c?id=pcmcat748301635321

BUT, when you select the free figure, the only options are to go pick it up in store (double the amount of trips) or getting it shipped, in which case they won't ship it with the battlegrounds set and are charging you to ship both items individually... thus making it pointless for a 4$ (after GCU) figure.

edit - I might just get this on amazon and forgo the free $5 figure, just because amazon is less of a hassle and it will be the same price since i have prime.

double edit - eh, decided to not be lazy and placed the order through Best Buy. I'll just have to swing by there sometime in the next week to pick up my free $4 hawkeye figure lol

Enjolras

Neo Member
I will be buying mostly Star Wars figures so I will be able to play with those characters in any of the Star Wars playsets? For example, Kylo Ren in Twilight of the Republic or Luke in Force Awakens?
Having picked this game up last week, I feel the need to add that if you wish to play as a designated villain (e.g. Maul, Vader, Kylo or Boba), you need to get the Champion Coin from their own set as well - they can't be played straight away. I found it slightly frustrating having just picked up the Force Awakens set and not being able to play as Kylo straight away.

FUCK TOYS R' US!

Ordered a Guardians of the Galaxy playset from them and it arrived today with Gamora having no head. Going to set up a return, and their site says there will be a $7.95 fee for returning it. It costs $15, and I'm giving them $8 to ship back the broken toy. They are sold out and there doesn't appear to be any way to get a replacement. So, I essentially just gave Toys R Us $8.

In their chat right now bitching, so we'll see how that goes.

EDIT: Alright, I might say un-fuck Toys R' Us. This might work out here...

EDIT 2: I'm getting a full refund and don't have to return the item. So, I got a free Guardians playset with a headless Gamora. Toys R' Us is alright. What a journey...

Target has Disney Infinity 3.0 for $39.99 this week. Thought about getting it, but then realized I'd also want the two Star Wars expansions and the Inside Out expansion for my daughter. A $40 game just became a $115 game.

Nope. :-(

I bought the speedway expansion for $10 at gamestop yesterday and been playing that mode quite a lot. Really surprised by it.

Anyone have this game on Xbox One? Would love to have more people to play online with this. My gamertag is the same as my username on here.

I think the power discs are way over priced

At $10, absolutely. But they've been on sale routinely for $5, which is reasonable. I mean, plenty of cosmetic DLC costs $1.25 a piece or more, and at least here you're getting a physical item that may hold (or even increase) its value long-term.

At $10, absolutely. But they've been on sale routinely for $5, which is reasonable. I mean, plenty of cosmetic DLC costs $1.25 a piece or more, and at least here you're getting a physical item that may hold (or even increase) its value long-term.
I'd rather buy them digitally for the ability to access the content without the need to place the discs every. Single. Time.

Polygon: HOW THEY MAKE THE TOYS FOR SKYLANDERS, DISNEY INFINITY AND SHOVEL KNIGHT

Interesting article about producing Toys To Life figures. Standard development time for a DI figure is 15 months with the shortest possible time being 10 months.

Polygon said:
Mike Wazowski from "Monsters, Inc." is the best-selling toy of the group, with the Hulk just overtaking Elsa from "Frozen" for second place.

I never would have thought Mike Wazowski would be the best selling Infinity figure.

Me neither. Hulk doesn't surprise me but while Monsters Inc is well liked, I didn't it would move that many figures.

Elsa in #3. Too bad female figures don't sell.

The Top 3 is really quite fascinating. For one, both Mike and Elsa being from 1.0, yet selling the most, makes it seem like 2.0 wasn't as successful as 1.0. Granted, 1.0 has been out for one additional year, but 1.0 figures haven't been common on store shelves essentially since 3.0 launched, so that's some amount of time 2.0 has had to catch up.

The other thing that is strange is Hulk, who was a PlayStation exclusive for the first 6 months (or whatever it was), outselling all the other 2.0 superheroes. I suspect this is largely because Iron Man was packaged in the 2.0 starter pack, as well as in the separate Avengers 2-pack, which they clearly aren't counting when tallying the numbers. I imagine Iron Man might even beat Mike Wazowski for #1 overall if he'd been a standalone release.

And another thing about Elsa, she was also in a 2-pack with Anna, which I'd bet a whole bunch of parents bought, so she probably sold crazy amounts when you add those sales in.

curb

Banned
I would love to see some actual numbers in how many they sell of what SKU. I find those types of business stats fascinating.

If anyone has the store dollar general around the Disney infinity characters are half off. The 3.0 ones are $7 and 2.0 are $5

I saw these at mine
3.0 - $7 each
Chewbacca
Darth Vader
Yoda
Obi-wan
Minnie Mouse
Olaf

2.0 - $5 each
Hulk
Tinkerbell
Maleficent

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
If anyone has the store dollar general around the Disney infinity characters are half off. The 3.0 ones are $7 and 2.0 are $5

I saw these at mine
3.0 - $7 each
Chewbacca
Darth Vader
Yoda
Obi-wan
Minnie Mouse
Olaf

2.0 - $5 each
Hulk
Tinkerbell
Maleficent

Thanks for the heads up.

Still haven't figured out how to use the Toy Box. Every ti,e I download a level there are no enemies in it. Am I doing something wrong or just picking the wrong levels? Do you guys have any recos?

Still haven't figured out how to use the Toy Box. Every ti,e I download a level there are no enemies in it. Am I doing something wrong or just picking the wrong levels? Do you guys have any recos?
Toy boxes don't necessarily have to have enemies. Sometimes they were created for the purpose of theme and gimmicks, a lot like Little Big Planet user content.

Durden77

Why the hell is the Marvel Battlegrounds playset bundle so expensive? It's 34.99 at GS. All it comes with is the playset (10 bucks by itself) and Steve Rogers Captain America. That's 25 bucks just for the Captain!

Well GS has a deal to where when you pre-order it you get a Marvel 2.0 figure for free. So I put 5 bucks down on it and got Hulk for free. I'll just cancel it later or move it over to the playset by itself.

RedStep

Why the hell is the Marvel Battlegrounds playset bundle so expensive? It's 34.99 at GS. All it comes with is the playset (10 bucks by itself) and Steve Rogers Captain America. That's 25 bucks just for the Captain!

Well GS has a deal to where when you pre-order it you get a Marvel 2.0 figure for free. So I put 5 bucks down on it and got Hulk for free. I'll just cancel it later or move it over to the playset by itself.

It's $20 at Best Buy ($16 with GCU) and includes a free 2.0 figure (of the ones in stock). Much better deal.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/disney-interactive-studios-disney-infinity-3-0-edition-marvel-battlegrounds-play-set/4847003.p?id=bb4847003&skuId=4847003

Top Bottom