• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Disney Infinity 3.0 |OT| Episode 3: The Playset Awakens

El_Cinefilo

"Hmmm, we always added 2 figures and a playset but we already are launching the majority of Civil War characters seperately...who's missing, Panther, Vision, Ant-Man, Spider Man, Agent 13 and Bucky are just Cap and Widow, wait, isn't there another character in the movie?...OH I KNOW!

LET'S SHIP IT WITH JUST CAP AND THE PLAYSET!"

CZGeky3WwAA8lX8.jpg

Disappointing, Have they announced a price?

RK128

Disappointing, Have they announced a price?

Going to assume due to only having one figure and the playset piece....20-25 bucks (around the same price as the Expansion Disks Takeover and Raceway); they can't charge 35 bucks again when we are missing a figure (where playsets always come with two). But considering its Disney, I could see this being charged at 30 bucks at launch.

Going to assume due to only having one figure and the playset piece....20-25 bucks (around the same price as the Expansion Disks Takeover and Raceway); they can't charge 35 bucks again when we are missing a figure (where playsets always come with two). But considering its Disney, I could see this being charged at 30 bucks at launch.

Takeover and Raceway are $20 each MSRP, but don't come with figures. Regular playsets are $35 each MSRP, but come with two figures. So yeah, a $25 or $30 MSRP price point seems likely. Hopefully it's the $25, but I wouldn't be surprised if it is $30.

RK128

Takeover and Raceway are $20 each MSRP, but don't come with figures. Regular playsets are $35 each MSRP, but come with two figures. So yeah, a $25 or $30 MSRP price point seems likely. Hopefully it's the $25, but I wouldn't be surprised if it is $30.

I agree; 25$ or 30$ is the likely price for this when it launches. It coming with a figure (15 bucks) and the playset (10-15 bucks) is quite a fair price honestly.

The 35$ playsets are a great deal too, as you get one figure for 15 bucks, one for 10 and the playset piece for 10. Disney is fair with pricing, so I don't expect it to be more then 30 bucks for the Battlegrounds Playset.

RK128

Incredibly disappointing. The Marvel Boys' Club continues.

There always is 4.0 Curb :l.

I could see 4.0 being the time where they open the door a bit more on the Marvel side, as they could pool in more IP from TV shows and movies (Jessica Jones, Daredevil, Luke Cage, Doctor Strange, Wasp, Captain Marvel, ect). That isn't even touching on the Inhumans and other Spider-Man characters they could pull in too.

Marvel has a lot of female heroes, they just like giving the male ones to the Infinity series only. I feel this is the case of Marvel's restrictive control over their IP for Disney Infinity popping up again and hopefully this issue goes away by this fall when 4.0 launches.

curb

Banned

I could see 4.0 being the time where they open the door a bit more on the Marvel side, as they could pool in more IP from TV shows and movies (Jessica Jones, Daredevil, Luke Cage, Doctor Strange, Wasp, Captain Marvel, ect). That isn't even touching on the Inhumans and other Spider-Man characters they could pull in too.

Marvel has a lot of female heroes, they just like giving the male ones to the Infinity series only. I feel this is the case of Marvel's restrictive control over their IP for Disney Infinity popping up again and hopefully this issue goes away by this fall when 4.0 launches.

I'm not counting on anything changing. This seems to be a long-standing Marvel issue. Even now, want to put a new movie into the MCU slate? Easy, push Captain Marvel. Do a Black Widow movie? No, thanks. Marvel does a lot in their actual comics but when it comes to the movies and merch, it's all about the boys.

I know it's kind of a silly reason but my interest in Battlegrounds has dropped significantly because of how Marvel is treating the platform.

I don't think they will touch the Netflix shows, not appropriated for their audience (kids) and Disney is always cross-promotional. Neither Agents of Shield. Dr. Strange yes, but due to the film. Too early for Inhumans, but sure more Spidey.

Bring up the Muppets!

RK128

I'm not counting on anything changing. This seems to be a long-standing Marvel issue. Even now, want to put a new movie into the MCU slate? Easy, push Captain Marvel. Do a Black Widow movie? No, thanks. Marvel does a lot in their actual comics but when it comes to the movies and merch, it's all about the boys.

I know it's kind of a silly reason but my interest in Battlegrounds has dropped significantly because of how Marvel is treating the platform.

I agree, they are only using the Infinity games as a marketing platform, far more then Disney is using it with their IP and Star Wars.

Baloo being his original animated design really says it all honestly; they could of used the realistic look to push the live action remake but nope, use the one we all know and love instead :).

Disney is using it as a marketing platform (Zootopia characters appearing for example) but Marvel is more known for this. Every hero has there design lifted from the MCU or based on the cartoons on air (Spider-Man cast comes to mind). Not complaining about this but it limits what characters they could put in the game.

And even if they are treating it as a marketing tool, then were is Daredevil, Luke Cage, Killgrave/Puple Man, Jessica Jones, Wasp, and Doctor Strange? All of them have either shows out, new seasons coming or a feature film coming this fall. They could of been added to the Marvel side of Infinity.

But nope, just strictly focus on the male cast of Civil War. Will likely sell more but it really is more blant then many would like.

RK128

I don't think they will touch the Netflix shows, not appropriated for their audience (kids) and Disney is always cross-promotional. Neither Agents of Shield. Dr. Strange yes, but due to the film. Too early for Inhumans, but sure more Spidey.

Bring up the Muppets!

You're likely right about the Netflix shows, even if they would be great additions :(.

Muppets (3-6 figures) and Kingdom Hearts (1-2) are the IP's I see appearing in 4.0 this fall honestly; the former could push the show while the latter could push KH3 coming early 2017 (if its releasing then).

curb

Banned

Bring up the Muppets!

I think JV has already specifically stated that Daredevil isn't being considered because his Netflix character doesn't mesh with the tone and age bracket of Infinity. I'm sure that extends to the other Netflix shows. Agents of Shield will only ever get a nod or a townsperson type representation at most.

I certainly didn't expect her for Battlegrounds but all I really want is a Captain Marvel. Or like, three or four of them because I have more than one desk.

Guys, you are seriously thinking about Disney releasing a Killgrave figure???? Even that the shows are extremelly sucessful, they are adult shows. They will be miles away from Jessica Jones, Punisher, etc. Cage could have been out due to the Spider-man cartoon, but they ruled him out (with White Tiger 😞). Maybe Daredevil, in a really bold move (not really).

MAtgS

Even if they weren't adding a female character that doesn't completely account for the lack of a 2nd figure, what about War Machine or Winter Soldier?

Think I'll skip this playset, I don't need a 2nd Cap or an inferior Smash clone that badly.

I picked up the Starter Pack yesterday, but only had time last night to meander around the hub area and get tutorialized at. Still, I could almost immediately appreciate the appeal of this game. Walking from Halloween Town right on over to Tatooine is truly something special. It's very akin to the feeling of playing Kingdom Hearts for the first time.

So, yeah, I haven't actually done any of the game part of this game yet, but Best Buy is having that sale and I'm a GCU member, so...long story short, I now own eight Infinity figures.

I'm exactly the kind of person this game is most dangerous to. I weep for my wallet.

Boba Fett was apparently listed on Amazon briefly. Said it was available in 2 to 3 weeks. So that's presumably when his exclusivity ends, sometime around the beginning of February.

LaNaranja

After 20 minutes of waiting I finally managed to get one game in Flynn's Arcade. 9 matches to go for that trophy that I will never have the patience to get.

It took me several hours across three days to get that damn trophy. They have to have known what a pain in the ass it was going to be to get into ten games. There is no other explanation for why they would make it a gold trophy. I was just on my laptop while I left the game running in the background.

"Hmmm, we always added 2 figures and a playset but we already are launching the majority of Civil War characters seperately...who's missing, Panther, Vision, Ant-Man, Spider Man, Agent 13 and Bucky are just Cap and Widow, wait, isn't there another character in the movie?...OH I KNOW!

LET'S SHIP IT WITH JUST CAP AND THE PLAYSET!"

CZGeky3WwAA8lX8.jpg
This is incredibly disappointing. Has anyone bitched at Johnny V on twitter yet? Dude seems pretty responsive. I am going to be really upset if we don't at the very least get Scarlett Witch. I'm just going to go ahead and throw the dream of Quake ever getting a figure away. :/

Gee, thanks for helping me resist guys. Picked up 8 3.0 characters today at Best Buy. Finished the Inside Out fellas, got Minnie and Nulan, Darth Maul and Kylo Ren, and Sabine, because, well, Sabine. ;p

MAtgS

This is incredibly disappointing. Has anyone bitched at Johnny V on twitter yet? Dude seems pretty responsive. I am going to be really upset if we don't at the very least get Scarlett Witch. I'm just going to go ahead and throw the dream of Quake ever getting a figure away. :/

Bitch at Marvel, it was probably their call.

Can't make out what that box says. 12 levels or 32? Also, it's 4 player local, right? Figured they'd make a 4 player stand though I guess you can use two of them?

Yeah, Marvel thinks of itself as a boys company. Probably they are the ones to blame for having just Cap in the Battlegrounds playset. DI staff could have preparing Wanda for it but the figure could have been void at last minute.

Is there any info available on the 4 player aspects of Battleground? As in, since the portal only allows for 2 characters at a time I'm assuming it's just a matter of scanning the extra 2 characters, or is some kind of expansion hardware required( maybe why they only went with Cap instead of the usual 2 characters per playset, perhaps an expansion piece is part of the set)? Because $29.99 for just the playset piece and Cap is at least $5-6 too much.

But not Marvel figures. There have been two female Marvel figures both packed in with other male figures.

I doubt neither Widow or Gamora would drive many sales on their own, that said I can't see characters like Drax being huge movers either. Is there any concrete data on the best selling figures?

curb

Banned
I doubt neither Widow or Gamora would drive many sales on their own, that said I can't see characters like Drax being huge movers either. Is there any concrete data on the best selling figures?

I think you're correct and I'm not saying Marvel needs to release a bunch of solo female figures but if (and of course it's all speculation) Marvel's position is that (solo) female figures won't sell in DI then they haven't really had an actual scenario to base that on. There are plenty of 3.0 female Star Wars figures including a solo Sabine so there must be something with Marvel themselves not thinking it's worth putting out a 3.0 figure (at least at this time - more could be coming).

I think you're correct and I'm not saying Marvel needs to release a bunch of solo female figures but if (and of course it's all speculation) Marvel's position is that (solo) female figures won't sell in DI then they haven't really had an actual scenario to base that on. There are plenty of 3.0 female Star Wars figures including a solo Sabine so there must be something with Marvel themselves not thinking it's worth putting out a 3.0 figure (at least at this time - more could be coming).

The thing is, there are quite a few popular female marvel characters that haven't made it into Infinity, for all sorts of behind the scene political reasons. The X-men have multiple heroines like Storm, Jean Grey/Phoenix, Rogue, all of whom I think would be commercially successful figures. That's just off the top of my head. Heck, as far as the GOTG set goes, they were probably better off having Drax and Groot as the starter set. Starlord and Rocket will sell as standalones, and staying on topic I think Gamora would have made for a better standalone than Drax.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Marvel Infinity figures are promotion for the movies. All important female characters have Infinity figures, beside Scarlet Witch, and she is tied to the X-Men, too.
X-Men wont happen because Marvel dont release X-Men Merchandise anymore.
We have to wait until Captain Marvel most likely and its a shame, but I think your theory with Marvel beeing a boys company is not correct. They are pushing a lot of female characters lately.

curb

Banned
I agree that until the film rights change, there'll never be X-Men in Infinity.

Scarlet Witch is different though as her MCU version has appeared in merch and she's also in Civil War so she's merch-able and in an upcoming movie. There's no reason for her not to have a figure unless either A] there were production issues and got pushed back or B] Marvel's not allowing it (now or ever) for some reason.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Maybe she will get a figure after the movie? Ant Man also had to wait until Civil War.
I can image her beeing in Dr. Strange, maybe she will get her figure then.

curb

Banned
Maybe she will get a figure after the movie? Ant Man also had to wait until Civil War.
I can image her beeing in Dr. Strange, maybe she will get her figure then.

It's completely possible that a figure is coming for her. It's all just speculation as we really have no idea what's going on at Marvel over this. It just seems like a perfect fit to me to have her ready for Battlegrounds given Civil War and all that but there has to be a reason (good or not) for her to not have a figure now.

In the end, I don't care if Wanda gets a figure but I think it looks bad on Marvel for going with all dudes in 3.0 (so far). I'm only concerned because it makes me wonder if Captain Marvel will ever get a figure.

I agree that until the film rights change, there'll never be X-Men in Infinity.

Scarlet Witch is different though as her MCU version has appeared in merch and she's also in Civil War so she's merch-able and in an upcoming movie. There's no reason for her not to have a figure unless either A] there were production issues and got pushed back or B] Marvel's not allowing it (now or ever) for some reason.

She got some good mainstream exposure through Age of Ultron and would make a good character powers-wise. I'm hoping she gets a figure, though it makes you wonder why she wasn't announced in this new wave with Panther and Ant-man. The battleground theme is clearly playing off the Civil War, as far as I'm concerned pretty much every character in the film should have a figure. I'd like to know why the new Cap figure is the lone figure for the playset, that would have been a great opportunity to put Scarlet in there if they didn't want to go the standalone route.

curb

Banned
She got some good mainstream exposure through Age of Ultron and would make a good character powers-wise. I'm hoping she gets a figure, though it makes you wonder why she wasn't announced in this new wave with Panther and Ant-man.

She really seemed like a no-brainer for this playset. As I said, there must be a reason for her absence. She had go have at least been on the table for this release.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Toys r us is having some nice discounts this weekend. Finally time to grab some players and extra figures.
http://infinityinquirer.com/2016/01...sney-infinity-deals-this-saturday-at-toysrus/

This Saturday (1/23/16), both online & in-store, you can pick up the following deals….

50% off ALL Disney Infinity Playsets
$39.99 Disney Infinity 3.0 Star Wars Starter Pack regularly priced $64.99
2 for $17 ALL Disney Infinity 3.0 Single Figures

Nice, thanks for the heads up.

MAtgS

New details on Battlegrounds 1 figure issue.

JV said:
As a bonus, if you pre-order the Play Set today through March 14, you’ll receive a free Disney Infinity (2.0 Edition): Marvel Super Heroes figure of your choice at participating retailers in the US, while supplies last. Be on the lookout for more special deals coming soon!

Well it is true I still have not gotten all of the 2.0s yet (only a couple of days ago ordered Hawkeye at BB in fact) but this is really strange fix for the 2nd figure status. Would've made more sense if the deal applied to the new of 3.0s.

JV said:
You guys know that the Disney Infinity team is always listening to your feedback, and we make changes along the way based on what we hear from the community. Your feedback has led to one significant change in our Play Set configuration. We heard from you that you want more choice in how you expand your Disney Infinity collections, especially with the Play Sets. With this in mind, the Marvel Battlegrounds Play Set Pack will come with the Play Set piece and one figure (Captain America – The First Avenger). Now it’s up to you to decide which other Marvel Super Heroes and Super Villains you want to fight with in Marvel Battlegrounds from a selection of 25 characters and with more to join the roster soon!
A choice that's only available to the fanatics who pre-order, not the regular customers who just buy things when they're on shelves.

She really seemed like a no-brainer for this playset. As I said, there must be a reason for her absence. She had go have at least been on the table for this release.

Ike Perlmutter..

He doesn't want to do female hero merchandise.

And he finalized the Infinity releases.

Wanda is the most requested and now MCU and its merch isn't under his umbrella which is why on the theater promos and posters Wanda is there instead of Sharon who is on the earlier promo stuff.

Top Bottom