• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Divekick |OT| My sneakers are ready

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
It's impossible to beat Redacted with Shoals. I'm pretty sure it's the toughest matchup in the game. He's way too fast for her. The one advantage you have is you can jump a bit higher.

Correction: It's impossible to beat a good Redacted with Shoals. I've beaten tons of Redacted's with Shoals. It's the Redacted's that know what they're doing that are the problem. Thankfully those tend to be few and far between.

That's pretty much the story of this game. There are a number of matchups that do favour a certain character over another.....assuming the level of play is high. Which most of the time it isn't from my experience online.

So I picked this up on PC and for some reason it runs so goddamn slow. Like Single Digit frame rates, and it shouldn't.

Rocking 2500k @ 4.3ghz 2X 7850s and 8GB of ram.

Has anyone else had a problem?

It's impossible to beat Redacted with Shoals. I'm pretty sure it's the toughest matchup in the game. He's way too fast for her. The one advantage you have is you can jump a bit higher.

Nope, even without a dive gem Redacted still jumps higher than Shoals. Height is NOT what you should be focusing on in the match since it's what gives Redacted the advantage. Footdive at full height is suicide. Building meter for flight cancels is essential. If you need to go on the offensive it must not be at a predictable height and with enought meter to save your ass and punish mistakes.

No way that's the toughest match up though, YOLO Shoals vs Jefaily is way worse.

superbank

The definition of front-butt.
I'm down to 387 now. Lag was killing me tonight. I think I'm playing worse too, ah well. I played "jefailey sucks ass" and we had 4 Double KOs right at the start. Awesome. Also faced a guy in unranked who didn't know how Baz works, getting mad after I kick his foot multiple times. ^^

LakeEarth

Nope, even without a dive gem Redacted still jumps higher than Shoals. Height is NOT what you should be focusing on in the match since it's what gives Redacted the advantage. Footdive at full height is suicide. Building meter for flight cancels is essential. If you need to go on the offensive it must not be at a predictable height and with enought meter to save your ass and punish mistakes.

No way that's the toughest match up though, YOLO Shoals vs Jefaily is way worse.

I just wish Jefailey's giant head didn't completely double his hitbox when someone crosses him up. I hate how he turns around and a foot is in the middle of his brain.

Dahbomb

I just wish Jefailey's giant head didn't completely double his hitbox when someone crosses him up. I hate how he turns around and a foot is in the middle of his brain.
I have gotten hit using Jefailey where the guy's foot was a good half a meter away from his head and it still connected. It happened today twice in fact.

Keits needs to fix Jefailey's head and the auto cross up that happens. I have lost so many matches due to weird hit box issues. One mistake or randomness or lag with a snow balling Jefailey and that's the entire match. I think next time I will try to take a screen shot of it happening to show how ridiculous it is.

Redacted vs Shoals is in favor of Redacted. The crouch cancel messes up Shoals a lot. Still it's not even in the same stratosphere as Jefailey vs Shoals.

I have gotten hit using Jefailey where the guy's foot was a good half a meter away from his head and it still connected. It happened today twice in fact.

Keits needs to fix Jefailey's head and the auto cross up that happens. I have lost so many matches due to weird hit box issues. One mistake or randomness or lag with a snow balling Jefailey and that's the entire match. I think next time I will try to take a screen shot of it happening to show how ridiculous it is.

Redacted vs Shoals is in favor of Redacted. The crouch cancel messes up Shoals a lot. Still it's not even in the same stratosphere as Jefailey vs Shoals.
I'd like to play you because I have no idea how you play Jefailey well. It's hard to choose between charging and losing so many options (kickback, meter building) or leaving the kick button free. But I guess that's the challenge with any charge character lol. What, in your mind, are the pros of using Jefailey? When I use him, a lot more of my hits (me hitting opponent) tend to be headshots but I'm not sure if that's coincidence or really good hitboxes.

superbank

More stories!

The player "game" was hilarious. He would yell every time he got hit or hit me. His brother or someone was in the room so I guess they were having a good time. His friend was giving him good tips even though he's never played the game. "Just wait for him to kick first!"

MyST NAJoH is the biggest shit talker. An ass and a misogynist. Sounded like he was talking to stream viewers so I guess that's what the kids like. The vulgarity of the shit he was puking was actually distracting me. I like to think he was unaware of the open mic situation but I wouldn't doubt he knew he was talking directly to me. Definitely mute this kid.

Dahbomb

I'd like to play you because I have no idea how you play Jefailey well. It's hard to choose between charging and losing so many options (kickback, meter building) or leaving the kick button free. But I guess that's the challenge with any charge character lol. What, in your mind, are the pros of using Jefailey? When I use him, a lot more of my hits (me hitting opponent) tend to be headshots but I'm not sure if that's coincidence or really good hitboxes.
Are you online right now (Steam)? We can play now if you want and I can show you.

I think the pros of Jefailey include the following:

*Great defensive character, he can sit on a lead
*Not too bad of a meter gain on him
*Good hit box on his dive kick hard to approach him
*Big head mode is a double edged sword, he gains ridiculous jump height for a ridiculous head hit box. IMO it's not worth the trade off most of the time as it becomes very easy to choke Jefailey if you land that one dive kick. Your play has to be pristine.
*Charge kicks are good
*Timer scam move is nice, a lot of people forget Jefailey has it and it can earn you a free win. Also useful for running out other player's Kick Factor especially Baz or gaining a clutch moment of extra charge time
*Kick Factor mode is ridiculous on Jefailey, I always build towards that. You become a rushdown god in that mode and its hard for people to get away from you.

Also I always use Dive gem... except against YOLO Shoals in which case I am forced to use YOLO gem.

The cons are pretty high on him though0.

*Without kick factor it's hard for Jefailey to rush someone down which means they get to have a lot of free meter in the match
*Having to choose between meter gain and charging is of course a problem. Charged kicks should give more meter when you use them IMO
*Bad jump height on default mode, pretty much all but 3 characters have a height advantage over him. Obviously he would be too good with better jump on default, that's the design of the character.
*Obviously the head mechanic makes you lose matches that you are winning by a mile. There are times when I am hit by a kick when it's no where close to my actual head.
*The air special is not that great at all, very situational and slow. If it was faster it might be pretty good though or if it was cheaper. Right now it's not as good as it should be
*A lot of bad match ups which is what this game is all about. Dive/Kick own him, Jefailey vs Shoals is the game's only 9-1 match up. Jefailey vs S Kill is bad ,Jefailey vs Stream Monster is bad, Jefailey vs Kung Pao is not great either, same for Sensei. I can still fight these characters minus Shoals. I have the easiest time against Mr.N, Baz, Redacted and Markman if I don't have my head blown up. Actually in fact, I can take on most characters if my head is not huge.

IMO he's bottom 2 character in the game easily. But god damn he is fun as hell.

It's right there in my profile.

Edit: I'm guessing something happened to your connection at the end there. Ggs, that was pretty fun, not to mention the unexpected shenanigans were amusing.

Are you online right now (Steam)? We can play now if you want and I can show you.

I think the pros of Jefailey include the following:

*Great defensive character, he can sit on a lead
*Not too bad of a meter gain on him
*Good hit box on his dive kick hard to approach him
*Big head mode is a double edged sword, he gains ridiculous jump height for a ridiculous head hit box. IMO it's not worth the trade off most of the time as it becomes very easy to choke Jefailey if you land that one dive kick. Your play has to be pristine.
*Charge kicks are good
*Timer scam move is nice, a lot of people forget Jefailey has it and it can earn you a free win. Also useful for running out other player's Kick Factor especially Baz or gaining a clutch moment of extra charge time
*Kick Factor mode is ridiculous on Jefailey, I always build towards that. You become a rushdown god in that mode and its hard for people to get away from you.

Also I always use Dive gem... except against YOLO Shoals in which case I am forced to use YOLO gem.

The cons are pretty high on him though0.

*Without kick factor it's hard for Jefailey to rush someone down which means they get to have a lot of free meter in the match
*Having to choose between meter gain and charging is of course a problem. Charged kicks should give more meter when you use them IMO
*Bad jump height on default mode, pretty much all but 3 characters have a height advantage over him. Obviously he would be too good with better jump on default, that's the design of the character.
*Obviously the head mechanic makes you lose matches that you are winning by a mile. There are times when I am hit by a kick when it's no where close to my actual head.
*The air special is not that great at all, very situational and slow. If it was faster it might be pretty good though or if it was cheaper. Right now it's not as good as it should be
*A lot of bad match ups which is what this game is all about. Dive/Kick own him, Jefailey vs Shoals is the game's only 9-1 match up. Jefailey vs S Kill is bad ,Jefailey vs Stream Monster is bad, Jefailey vs Kung Pao is not great either, same for Sensei. I can still fight these characters minus Shoals. I have the easiest time against Mr.N, Baz, Redacted and Markman if I don't have my head blown up. Actually in fact, I can take on most characters if my head is not huge.

IMO he's bottom 2 character in the game easily. But god damn he is fun as hell.

Great write up! I don't have the Steam version yet but I'll hit you back up when I do.

Dahbomb

I am quitting ranked play on Steam until Jefailey's head is fixed.

2 days ago I was 400+ on Steam ranked (300+ on Jefailey in the top 10). Yesterday my friend played some ranked, lost a few games and got me below 300. I started playing around and trying some new tactics lost a few. Today I played and got 5 straight matches of someone using YOLO gem on me and choking me. Twice it was Dive (the guy was 700+), twice it was Shoals (the guy had 25 CR with Shoals he was playing bad but still won because lol 10-0 match up) and once Kick and Mr.N each. I am pretty sure every character destroys Jefailey with YOLO gem activated except for maybe Baz. I lost 5 times in a row, my CR and PR went below 200 so I am done with ranked play. Scumbag counter pickers.... at least I beat 3 of those YOLO pickers.

I will only play Unranked and Lobby now. The funny part is that my Shoals ranking who is my tertiary character has a CR of 350 and I suck with her.

KEITS FIX PLZ!

superbank

I am now on PSN! Under the same name. My tv definitely has more latency than my monitor though. I've gotten used to it but I'll probably hook it up to my monitor. Network lag seems to be less of an issue for me on PS3. I wonder if it has to do with the standardization of the console compared to custom PCs.

Dahbomb, you should record the hitbox issues. I really haven't seen any though I don't play Jefailey much. The closest thing I've seen to wonky hitboxes is S-Kill getting hit when he's invisible but that's probably lag.

superbank

I beat sanchazpizza on PSN! It's only one round but since he's #1 on the leaderboards and he's won the past two UFGT divekick tournaments (I think?) that makes me pretty happy. I think the key is to just play weird against experienced players. It throws them off for at least one match, it's not enough time to figure out what I'm doing exactly. On the flipside of that I got my fair share of asskickings from randoms and other high level PSN players.

From my experience today it seems like there are less players on PSN. On steam you only have to wait like 30 seconds at the most to get a ranked match, PSN can average from 30 seconds to a few minutes. In unranked sometimes there's no one at all. The pace is definitely affecting my play. The lag, or lack of, has been amazing though. Opponents Warping out of kills almost never happened. I haven't experienced any stuttering/slowdown either.

FluxWaveZ

Wait, what the hell? Nobody told me that an update 2-3 days ago had balance changes!

General Changes

- The leaderboard can now scroll past 100 without any issues.

- Improvements have been made to make finding and joining ranked and unranked matches faster and more reliable. Changes were also made to help players join find lobbies when searching.

- Your CR (Character Rating) value should now be accurate when playing online.

- (PSN ONLY) Fixed a rare crash that would occur at the end of an online match.

- (STEAM ONLY) Fixed a rare desync during online play.

- (STEAM ONLY) Fixed an issue that allowed your screen saver to pop up during gameplay.

Gameplay Changes

The Baz - These changes were made to encourage more thoughtful play. Baz will have access to his moves more often, and making tactical choices with them will be much more meaningful now that, at best, Kickfactor gets you only one round.

- Builds meter ~14% faster.

- Kickfactor now ends if you get a kill with it and will not carry over to the next round.

- Kickfactor is half a second shorter.

- Two Kickfactor Baz players will now pass through each-other instead of a Double KO.

Kenny -

- Baz stance has the same changes Baz has undergone.

- Fixed a bug that was preventing Kenny from getting the correct speed bonus from his stance in Kickfactor after starting a new round with Kickfactor already enabled.

Edit: Or maybe none of that is true? I got the list from this Giant Bomb thread according to this Divekick forum post.

Edit 2: Here's the actual link.

Dahbomb

I still see no fixes to Shoals vs Jefailey or in general YOLO vs Jefailey.

There don't appear to be balance changes in the link provided.

Dahbomb

I can just test this right now by playing Baz myself.

BRB testing.

Edit: OH SHIT THIS IS TRUTH FACT!!!!

Baz indeed only gets one shot at his kick factor now. I even hit the AI with the Kick Factor super early to confirm!

Yeah those Baz changes are legit. Don't know about the Kenny ones.

Dahbomb

I checked some other stuff too.

Redacted still has that side switch stance jump where if you hold down the stance then keep holding down kick and press jump he faces the opposite direction.

Redacted and Dive still have the same meter build.

I will have to get online and test the patch more thoroughly for more hidden changes if there are any.

FluxWaveZ

Interesting. Heh, this at least means there'll probably be less Baz online. Though, perhaps not since he builds meter so much faster.

Dahbomb

There were already less Baz's online after the first 2-3 days. Their gimmicks were figured out. This at least helps with some match ups like Jefailey against Baz but Jefailey can't do much when Baz just sits back and builds meter then activates Kick Factor and gets 2-3 free rounds from it especially if Jefailey is in big head mode.

Now Baz's Kick Factor is one of the worst Kick Factors in the game. It's better to use his KF meter for other special moves now. He also doesn't need the meter build gem anymore because the rate at which he builds meter now is better than the gem provided before the buff.

Now Baz's Kick Factor is one of the worst Kick Factors in the game. It's better to use his KF meter for other special moves now. He also doesn't need the meter build gem anymore because the rate at which he builds meter now is better than the gem provided before the buff.

I much prefer using his specials so I'm perfectly ok with the trade off personally.

Cindres

Vied for a tag related to cocks, so here it is.
Matchmaking's really been fucking me over these last couple of days. Having a hard time keeping over 100 atm and I get paired up against people 3 or 5x my rating? Great fucking job there guys. When I'm ranked 69 and I get put up againt someone 508 it's REALLY fucking annoying.

EDIT: FUCKING HELL, and just like last night, the same guy twice in a row. Fuck this shit, seriously.

I just bought this game for PSN over the weekend, played for an hour or so with a friend and it's fun as hell. I'm liking Dive, Redacted and Mr. N.

Feel free to add me on PSN (kevo_huevo), I usually drop whatever I'm playing if a GAFfer wants to play.

superbank

Matchmaking's really been fucking me over these last couple of days. Having a hard time keeping over 100 atm and I get paired up against people 3 or 5x my rating? Great fucking job there guys. When I'm ranked 69 and I get put up againt someone 508 it's REALLY fucking annoying.

EDIT: FUCKING HELL, and just like last night, the same guy twice in a row. Fuck this shit, seriously.
I believe the game just puts you with the first opponent with the best connection. No limits are imposed with player rating. Every time you're beat you should be learning something about the characters and players. You may want to train in unranked for a bit till you're confident enough to tackle ranked. One thing to keep in mind about ranked is the scaling of point allocation. If you beat one of those high level guys you will get a ton of points. If they beat you they get very little. It's possible that high PR players will mess up and you eek out a win. Happens to me all the time. :(

Dahbomb

Yea there's no actual Matchmaking in this game, you get paired with whoever is available. I have played against players who were 700+ and those who were 0.

mattp

anyone still playing this on psn? it's pretty dead
I've fought someone named damnitkeits like 5 times in a row

also, anyone have issues with trophies not working on vita? I beat a ranked match with the yolo gem and didnt get the trophy for that or choking an opponent

also, anyone have issues with trophies not working on vita? I beat a ranked match with the yolo gem and didnt get the trophy for that or choking an opponent

Yeah I just beat the story mode with everyone on VITA and no trophy on site which pisses me off. I remember reading someone else who had problems with getting that trophy too.

Camjo-Z

I stopped playing because of that, I'm usually not a trophy whore but when I didn't get my trophies for winning with YOLO gem (as Jefailey, no less) and beating story mode with everyone I just couldn't go back.*

*by which i mean Spelunky came out and stole all my time!

Edgeward

Well, the patch seems to have alleviated all my matchmaking issues. Finding ranked matches with no problems on vita now. So yay!

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
It's still good when you build meter to one kick short of it, then it'll activate when Baz has picked his angle and starts to charge forward.

mattp

so...has anyone on psn (ps3 or vita) been matched against someione named "unusual_traedy"?
i think thats the account

because i've been put up against him a TON of times on both ps3 and vita, on different days
and im pretty sure every single time all he's done is mash kick over and over. even in the character select screen. as in, if he's on the left he'll pick dive every time and if he's on right he'll pick kick every time

does someone just have a ps3 in a closet somewhere with a robot mashing a button? haha
it's so bizarre

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
does someone just have a ps3 in a closet somewhere with a robot mashing a button? haha
it's so bizarre
More likely is that person is using a controller with a rapid-fire feature and has something resting on the button, or is just using auto-fire where you don't need to touch anything.

FluxWaveZ

I'll admit, I played it for about three days before dropping it. Maybe it didn't stick the way it should have?

PC might be a bit more lively as Chindogg stated, but not having a great lobby solution might have particularly impacted the game's online activity for the worse.

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
It's depressing this game died out so quickly on PSN. I really really enjoy this game, I don't know what it would take to bring it back. P

A Super Turbo type update with new characters?
Free on PSN plus?

I feel like at this time even improved online features were to roll out nobody would notice without a big marketing push.

Keits

Developer
Free balance update coming soon!

Next Gen release includes at least one new character and one new stage, which will also be free for existing owners of the game!

Wow, that's service!

StuBurns

Banned
Is this the newest thread? Goddamn no one cared about this on GAF after all that hype.

Anyway, I'm bumping this thread because Conor Oberst has an upcoming album, one of the tracks is called Kick, and it's the story of someone called Kick, and it has some names of video games. It could all be a coincedence, but I wondered if anyone could say if the lyrics connect with the plot at all? Here it is:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tkAehe1MsQg

Kick, you know you’re still a kid
And your diet's too full of additives
Passed out on a couch with ashes in your mouth
Dreamin’ that you’re hopping a fence

This world must have it out for you
From the shores of Montauk up to Malibu
The trappings of a name you never could escape
These people wanna live in the past
Some Golden Age that they never had

I thought we lost that Camelot
I thought we lost that Camelot