• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DmC Devil May Cry: Definitive Edition |OT| ...And I've got a bigger change log

Fj0823

No, they just cut after "The world is at last your bitch."

Why?
I mean the dialogue is terrible, but this is a M rated game, Lilith's entire character is to be Mundus's personal prostitute.

Maybe the staff didn't like it and it was the director's idea?

Forgot this was coming so soon until I saw someone streaming it on Live from PS... didn't realize it was $40 too. Definitely worth it to me.

Edit: Though I'll probably wait until I have more time to play it. There are newer games I want to play but haven't played yet.

Played it on PC so the performance changes are basically nothing, but my ps4 needs an action game and the other changes look good enough.

gonna have to play this

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Oh, that's good then.
Also, I love the new ending. Way better

Is Tameem still directing? This feels like a Director's Cut lol

The new "ending" is whatever.

He's still the creative director. I don't think anything's changed. There might be more responsibility placed on the combat designer this time around. Tameem certainly has just not been as vocal, and has stayed behind the scenes mostly, which is a good thing.

EDIT: Looks like Rahni Tucker is the new creative director for the DE, though I'm guessing things still have to go through Tameem in the end. He was quoted in that article, anyway.

So from what I'm hearing, pieces of dialogue and things like Virgils hat have been removed as well? I'd love some interviews to get an idea behind why this is all being done. I think they are all great improvements, I really do and gameplay looks great. But this honestly feels like DmC: Revisionist History Edition. Still, I'll take an okay game turned good any day, I will probably pick this up tomorrow.

LTWood12

Wow totally forgot about this! Finally played through the Vergil dlc a couple of months ago on PS3 and really enjoyed it. Playing this at 60 is going to be fantastic.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
So from what I'm hearing, pieces of dialogue and things like Virgils hat have been removed as well? I'd love some interviews to get an idea behind why this is all being done. I think they are all great improvements, I really do and gameplay looks great. But this honestly feels like DmC: Revisionist History Edition. Still, I'll take an okay game turned good any day, I will probably pick this up tomorrow.

They've talked about it a little bit already. They're making a lot of adjustments to fix the game to clearly make it more palletable to the DMC fanbase.

NT said Vergil's hat wasn't their idea. I have no idea whose idea it would be, but that's what they said in an interview. I forgot to Tweet the interviewer about that to find out who was responsible for that travesty.

Sephzilla

Man, I want to pick this up because the gameplay changes actually look legit. But I don't want to have to sit through that god awful story again.

They've talked about it a little bit already. They're making a lot of adjustments to fix the game to clearly make it more palletable to the DMC fanbase.

NT said Vergil's hat wasn't their idea. I have no idea whose idea it would be, but that's what they said in an interview. I forgot to Tweet the interviewer about that to find out who was responsible for that travesty.

That just feels like NT playing revisionist history a little

Tameem isn't involved with DE, he's busy working on Hellblade.

I don't think it's coincidence that DmC kept getting better the further away he got from it. (Vergil's Downfall and now DE)

Gbraga

Honestly, I'd rather they have implemented the opposite: off colors do little or no damage, but retain hitstun and juggle properties. At least they addressed it in some way, and acknowledged that it was an issue.

Yup, completely agree. That almost turned me off from buying the game.

IIRC, it's part of the Hardcore modifier, isn't it? It's not like they rebalanced how they work in the "intended experience", so, being it a modifier, why not go all the way?

I'm still hoping for a patch to completely eliminate this garbage.

Worst case scenario: Keep the color coding for shields, you need to use that color to destroy their shields, but then you're free to use whatever you want.

I don't think it's coincidence that DmC kept getting better the further away he got from it. (Vergil's Downfall and now DE)

Vergil's Downfall was written and directed by Rogerio Silva, who was a game designer in DmC, he was anti-color coding and openly talked about how 30fps limited the boss fight designs. Very nice dude.

He left Ninja Theory though TT_TT

Sesha

Oh, that's good then.
Also, I love the new ending. Way better

Is Tameem still directing? This feels like a Director's Cut lol

You mean was he responsible for the changes to the story? We don't really know. Maybe. Rahni Tucker, the combat designer for DmC, was the director on Definitive Edition, though,

Oh cool, thanks for the info. I'll definitely need to find those and read them later. I feel bad making assumptions about why things have been changed, especially when they were so open to fan suggestions in the first place. I respect them for that.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
The new "ending" is whatever.

He's still the creative director. I don't think anything's changed. There might be more responsibility placed on the combat designer this time around. Tameem certainly has just not been as vocal, and has stayed behind the scenes mostly, which is a good thing.
Actually the combat designer from the original version is the creative director of the definitive edition. Tameem seems to be much more focused on Hellblade.

ezekial45

Banned
The Definitive Edition's development was directed by Rhani Tucker, who did work on the combat engine for the last game.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Oh cool, thanks for the info. I'll definitely need to find those and read them later. I feel bad making assumptions about why things have been changed, especially when they were so open to fan suggestions in the first place. I respect them for that.

I think the reason for the changes are pretty clear. NT observed a lot of feedback from consumers and adopted the changes as necessary. The full changelist is forthcoming this week, but just the reveal trailer listed changes that read almost exactly like a DmC complaint post on GAF. A lot of the additions, including Dante Must Style mode, were things we'd been discussing since release.

Kudos to them for listening.

Actually the combat designer from the original version is the creative director of the definitive edition. Tameem seems to be much more focused on Hellblade.

My mistake. I'll edit my post. It was odd because the interview for that "world is bitch" line has quotes from Tameem on the changes.

Gbraga

Wait, what new ending? does Vergil turn into a t-rex?

We made fun of that shit back then, but it would've been so much cooler.

I still hope one day Tameem can talk about the original story for DmC, after all the changes made to benefit the gameplay.

If you go through the concept art gallery, you see that some levels were completely different, and looked a lot more interesting. Some cool discarded enemy designs too.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
We need to have more women designers in the industry like this chick. What i've seen of the DE's changes makes me really happy they changed all this stuff, and since she's the director its kinda her call i think that the game changed for the better.

Tameem isnt even there i dont think?

niiiice, looks like I'll be able to pick up this game a day early! can't wait to get home and try out that DMC1 costumed goodness

We need to have more women designers in the industry like this chick. What i've seen of the DE's changes makes me really happy they changed all this stuff, and since she's the director its kinda her call i think that the game changed for the better.

Tameem isnt even there i dont think?

He's 100% focused on Hellblade.

Aww I thought DMC4SE was included in this package. Not sure I will get it now :(

Yeah I think if this released with DMC4 aswell at full price I would have picked this up for sure

still seems like a great package, I loved the original but already played it at 1080p and 60fps on PC not sure im willing to double dip even though the improvements made to the mechanics look great

Astral Dog

Now with 100% less hat....m'lady

latest

Little known fact about this remaster.

They completely removed Vergils fruity little hat from the game.

Its weird they got rid of the hat, because that thing thing had potential.

It does not fit Vergil at all, but Imagine how Sparda would have looked with a fedora, more iconic, perhaps.

Or Mundus, he would be a motherfucker stylish businessman with a fedora on the final battle, along with a cigar.

itwasTuesday

He wasn't alone.
Have to wait for pc release if their ever is one. Does look good with all the improvements though.

Maybe I'll mod up the pc release and replay dmd. Haven't tried any of the mods before.

Or go buy a ps4 right now...

Any idea on the ps4 install size? i need to start deleting stuff from my ps4.. I really need a new HDD.

NM first post on this page answered my question even though it didn't show up in my search....

Here's a good interview from the current director of DmC DE:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BzclS_TIDGk

Goes over 60FPS, Turbo mode, balancing etc. Very interesting listen for those who for some reason aren't convinced about the implications of 60FPS in a fast paced action game.

That was an incredible interview. I liked how Rahni Tucker went into detail about the gameplay tweaks and the change to 60FPS. If I hadn't been already planning to pick up Dmc: DE, she totally would've sold me on it here.

Lord Dante

Neo Member
Man, I want to pick this up because the gameplay changes actually look legit. But I don't want to have to sit through that god awful story again.

My thoughts exactly. I'm curious about the changes but the game's awful plot is what's pulling me back.

danthefan

I already own the game on the PC, I'm definitely interested but since I'm double-dipping I think I'll wait for the price to come down. But the list of changes look really great.

My amazon copy just shipped overnight. I can't wait, I loved the game when it first came out and even got all the trophies. Can't wait to do it again, I hope they didn't change the trophies because they probably would have made them harder... then again I'm betting they did =\

Dahbomb

Any reason to pick up the PS4 version over the PC?

Sorry, feeling to lazy to read
Manual lock on, Gods Must Die, Must Style mode, new Dante/Vergil costumes and the various balance changes aren't on the PC version.

Being able to hit colored enemies, multiple dashes with Angel Evade, Turbo mode etc. aren't technically available on the PC either but you can mod your game to have those features.

Most of those features that are new to the additions could very well be added to the PC via mod or just a standard patch.

Taking a break but had a 9 hour streaming session. Completed the game, speed ran to the end boss, skipped all cutscenes and played BP.

Muuuch better than the previous one but...
Hmm...not quite the ideal fix I was hoping for.

Great OT btw ezekial.
...I really hated this. There is no keep colour enemies in. They don't take hitstun which means they can't be launched. They still continue to move an are unfased by your attacks, So you end up using red weapons all the time(no juggle properties either). The game still slows horribly on these enemies.

Looks and plays awesome in 1080p 60FPS though.

I wanted a bit more though.
(Now to make a combo video)

Gbraga

Taking a break but had a 9 hour streaming session. Completed the game, speed ran to the end boss, skipped all cutscenes and played BP.

Muuuch better than the previous one but...

...I really hated this. There is no keep colour enemies in. They don't take hitstun which means they can't be launched. They still continue to move an are unfased by your attacks, So you end up using red weapons all the time(no juggle properties either). The game still slows horribly on these enemies.

Looks and plays awesome in 1080p 60FPS though.

I wanted a bit more though.
(Now to make a combo video)

Man >______>

I really hope they patch this >_>

>_>>>____________>>>>>

Ashilyn

How are people playing this already? All prerelease copies? Or did this come out early and I missed it? I can't wait to play this one.

Top Bottom