• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DmC Devil May Cry: Definitive Edition |OT| ...And I've got a bigger change log

Dahbomb

20% is actually decent speed.

Something that people don't know about DmC is that at high ranks the game becomes even faster. This effect is more pronounced in DE. I saw someone play Turbo mode and when he was getting S+ ranks the game was moving really god damn fast.

TLDR: 20% speed boost is perfectly fine.

SkylineRKR

Beat this today, enjoyed it a lot. I think I prefer the gameplay of DMC4, but i prefered the level design of DmC. Some levels were actually fun to traverse, especially from Mission 15 onwards.

The penultimate boss was anticlimatic though, boring and easy fight. Expected more from that.

I used Turbo mode since Chapter 8 or so and never looked back. Its noticable, and feels perfect.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
I'm hoping Turbo mode doesn't feel too fast for me. I did think the original release was a bit slow but I'm not a particularly skilled player of character action games. Haven't played too many.

People who are new to DmC, don't feel intimadated with turbo mode. In fact, it should be the default in my honest opinion since it ramps up the combat to more of the intensity that Dmc3 brought. Turbo mode isn't stupidly fast, it works very well with the game now that its at 60 fps.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
People who are new to DmC, don't feel intimadated with turbo mode. In fact, it should be the default in my honest opinion since it ramps up the combat to more of the intensity that Dmc3 brought. Turbo mode isn't stupidly fast, it works very well with the game now that its at 60 fps.

Once you go Turbo you never go back.

Good to hear. Really looking forward to playing this at 60fps.

SkylineRKR

I got much better scores once I ramped it up. I was usually moving way too fast anyway, as enemy swinging animations are rather slow i finished my sidesteps often too early. Turbo makes them faster. The flow is just excellent with Turbo mode, do it. Once you're used to it, its a party. Esp the final fight went ridiculously fast but I barely got hit, loved it. That 3 angel evade dodge is worth it. Forgot to use Devil trigger, I hardly ever used this on Nephilim... its something for higher difficulties.

Unlocked SoS, it seems you have to beat that to unlock those other difficulties as per DMC4. Could be painful for those who beat vanilla already too.

About the color enemies, you still need the appropriate weapons. You can hit them with the other.. but they won't stun or launch at all so its sort of pointless.

Good to hear. Really looking forward to playing this at 60fps.

Yeah, not to mention the fact that you already played the base game on PS3. Might as well enjoy it differently.

I think Nephilim difficulty plus turbo mode plus hardcore mode is going to be ultimately create a unique play experience that really changes the game up.

It's also the best initial settings to take for trophy hunters since it accomplishes a lot of requirements. Which is great to me because I only have two platinums (Resogun and Walking Dead)

Dahbomb

I think anyone who has played action games before should be playing on Nephilim plus Turbo/Hardcore mode.

Must Style mode I would stay clear of until you are proficient with the combat engine.

We did a Let's Play of our pre-release copy, but admittedly, we'd never played a DMC game, and our humor can be a little grating for some people.

If that didn't totally turn you off, check out the first episode.

Hey, not bad. I didn't think the humor was grating at all. No dick jokes, no racist jokes, you're good. But to be honest the guy with the black cap was kind of a debbie downer. You know, just struck me as one of those people who look like they wish they were doing something else other than playing/watching video games. The other two guys in the checkered shirts were great, good game knowledge, good chemistry etc.

Best of luck on your channel and thanks for sharing.

Is Nephilim the highest available difficulty available at the outset? If it is, I STRONGLY suggest people choose that.

Remember guys you have gold orbs that revive you on the spot, Healing items, infinite checkpoints that are spaced very closely together.

So choosing Nephilim isn't elitist at all, like others have said it's more representative of the 'normal' mode you'd come to expect from a DMC game.

ezekial45

Banned
Is Nephilim the highest available difficulty available at the outset? If it is, I STRONGLY suggest people choose that.

Remember guys you have gold orbs that revive you on the spot, Healing items, infinite checkpoints that are spaced very closely together.

So choosing Nephilim isn't elitist at all, like others have said it's more representative of the 'normal' mode you'd come to expect from a DMC game.

Yeah, Nephilim is the highest it goes on start.

Dahbomb

Yeah Nephilim is the highest difficulty available at the start but it's actually Normal, not Hard.

It's probably posted in the first post but I will post the difficulty scaling again in regular gaming terms:

Human: Very Easy
Demon Hunter: Easy
Nephilim: Normal

Son of Spard: Hard
Dante Must Die: Very Hard
Gods Must Die: Extremely Hard

Of course adding modifiers makes things harder like Hardcore but it's not a huge increase in difficulty. In all honestly Hardcore mode is how the game should've been from the start in terms of mechanics.

wow I'm really bad, my brain is just sending bayonetta and OG DMC signals every time I try to do anything in this game. I have to relearn it from scratch it seems like.

I did remember at least how to combo the first two quick rebellion hits into the arbiter smash at least...

I feel like getting style points is really difficult in Hardcore mode, like harder than OG DMC, but maybe its because I'm so rusty still

Trust me, it feels like a lot. 50% increase would be like the game was broken.

I disagree with that. While 20% is the standard turbo mode and a fine increase I feel that this game does benefit from a more enhanced turbo. SamD even primarily played on 50% turbo for a period of time.

ZeroX03

Banned
Do we have any confirmation this is going live at midnight? Normally games which don't have a preload go live during the store update during the day.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
I disagree with that. While 20% is the standard turbo mode and a fine increase I feel that this game does benefit from a more enhanced turbo. SamD even primarily played on 50% turbo for a period of time.

Honestly, I think this is a pretty good argument for having variable turbo modes available for people should they want it.

When 20% isn't enough for you.

Dahbomb

Gregaman where's the changelog man?

Looks like I will have to get on stream and try to find some of the changes myself. It's been a couple of years since I played the game so I bet a crap ton of stuff is just going to be placebo effect and playing on different modifiers.

There are mods that'll apply some of the stuff in the PS4 ver. to the PC/Steam ver.
I personally want to know if there can be a paid upgrade thing to match it with the PS4 ver. :/

Im in the Same boat where I bought DMC on sale on Steam but never got around to playing it....

what are the mods to get to make it like this new version?

Dahbomb

4 minutes until the game's release.

I guess all those people with crazy fast internet will get to play this early. Just have to get the game first thing in the morning.

jett

D-Member
20% is actually decent speed.

Something that people don't know about DmC is that at high ranks the game becomes even faster. This effect is more pronounced in DE. I saw someone play Turbo mode and when he was getting S+ ranks the game was moving really god damn fast.

TLDR: 20% speed boost is perfectly fine.

Huh...I beat the original game at every difficulty easily getting S+ ranks and I never noticed that.

Dahbomb

I beat the original game at every difficulty easily getting S+ ranks and I never even remotely noticed that.
Yeah no one noticed it but the people at NT have sworn by it.

The speed up wasn't that high though in vanilla, it's like very marginally faster. But that bonus is greater in DmC DE. I have seen it in action and it's noticeable for sure. With Turbo mode, a good player and at high style ranks the game runs at blistering speeds.

My theory on this is that when you are styling on enemies with high style ranks you are feeling yourself and the adrenaline is pumping so your reflexes heighten to accommodate the speed increase naturally. That's why no one has been able to notice it.

Dahbomb

I forgot, did they balance out the style point outputs for the Demon weapons? Shit was massively OP.
Heavily. Nerfs to demon dodge as well. Like that gif that everyone posts with the SSS from the Trinity Smash, it does not work anymore.

It's stated in the interview I posted as well.

So I've seen a few videos of the game. And they changed a lot of things from lost soul placements, to key placements, and even some visual/auditory changes like the shotgun sounds a bit different. It's get a more deeper echo to it, more bass to it if that make sense.

Top Bottom