• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Do movies on digital cable come in widescreen if you have a widescreen tv?

Status
Not open for further replies.

goodcow

This is something that's always bothered me... I know the regular networks like CBS, NBC, FOX, transmit widescreen HD versions of their shows if you have a capable television, but what about HBO, Showtime, etc.?

It's so damn annoying to have digital cable, yet all the movies show up in fullscreen. It gets a big fat WHY from me. Even if you don't have an HD tv, you should still have the option to watch everything letterboxed.

Can somebody with digital cable/satellite and a widescreen tv explain how it works for them?

No, they still won't be widescreen. You can artificially matte the picture on a widescreen TV if you wish. Even in 16:9 HDTV, the HBO's and Cinemax's and Showtime's crop scope (Panavision - 2:35) movies to 1.78:1.

golem

your cable company needs to have hbo-hd, cinemax-hd, etc to be able to get widescreen programming.

for example right now on VOOM, HBO-HD is showing Daredevil and Catch me if you Can in HD, Cinemax has Leathal Weapon and The Order, EncoreHD has Blade 2, and PlayboyHD has Loose Morals: In the Streets (but i dont subscribe to it.. yet.. haha)

MIMIC

Banned
With Adelphia Digital Cable, I get these in HD: ESPN, HBO, Cinemax, Starz!, Showtime, ABC, NBC, iN DEMAND 1, and iN DEMAND 2.

goodcow

MIMIC said:
With Adelphia Digital Cable, I get these in HD: ESPN, HBO, Cinemax, Starz!, Showtime, ABC, NBC, iN DEMAND 1, and iN DEMAND 2.

And if you don't have an HDTV, they show up in letterbox?

Cooper

Shogmaster said:
You see blank black screen for those channels with sound only.

This might depend on which connection you use for your set top box. I have an HD STB hooked up to a 10 year old analog-only TV via S-video. The HD broadcasts come in letterboxed.

Cooper said:
This might depend on which connection you use for your set top box. I have an HD STB hooked up to a 10 year old analog-only TV via S-video. The HD broadcasts come in letterboxed.

No, it depends if you have a HD set top box or not. I have none, and I assumed that the question was if you didn't have one as well.

I might have assumed too much. I have a digital cable service, and when I get to the HD channels on my analog 27" TV without a HD set top box (which is likely if you don't have a HD TV ;)), all I get is sound.

Cooper

Shogmaster said:
No, it depends if you have a HD set top box or not. I have none, and I assumed that the question was if you didn't have one as well.

I might have assumed too much. I have a digital cable service, and when I get to the HD channels on my analog 27" TV without a HD set top box (which is likely if you don't have a HD TV ;)), all I get is sound.

Okay, I had assumed that an HD-compatible STB was being used. The HD broadcasts actually look fairly nice on analog sets, like really well mastered DVDs. Anyway, carry on. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom