• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Do you double space when typing?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
When I was at my first design/publishing job I looked into this issue seriously, and learned that it's obsolete / holdover from the old times. Today's fonts have actual kerning that takes care of things like this, and double spacing looks just wrong.

*edit* as that blurb said - if you need any proof for this, just look at about *anything* published nowadays (and, probably 20 years back or more). You'll never find double spacing after any punctuation.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
The monospaced space may look bigger, but so does everything else in that line. Double-spacing helps punctuate sentences more in a text where all characters have the same shape and flow.

Belfast

Heh, I learned about it, of course, but I never adopted the practice. I just sort of BSed in it class and then went and did my own thing everywhere else. Its pretty silly if you ask me and not one teacher or professor all throughout highschool commented on my typing skills.

Mumbles

Every time. Complain all you want about how it's outdated, but no matter where I go, the old managers insist on it. And yeah, it helps that I learned to type on Apple 2s, so it's pretty well conditioned into me anyway.

Hitokage said:
The monospaced space may look bigger, but so does everything else in that line.
If variable width fonts are supposed to eliminate the need for doubling the space, I would think that would mean the spaces are wider, to compensate. However, in my short comparison of several letters in Times New Roman and Courier New, I found this not to be the case. Relative to the other letters, the Times New Roman space was smaller; the same width as a single period. So using fewer spaces with this font seems backwards.

aaw.gif

Zero said:
I recently realized that the correct way to type is to press the spacebar twice after ending a sentence. Up until that time I had always just pressed the spacebar once.

I don't think it really matters on forums or chats, but for formal word processing do you do it?

Uh this "rule" changed YEARS ago because people realized it was pointless and two spaces didn't make it any easier to read.

miyuru

I've always been double spacing, since I ever started typing, so when I was like 5-6, back in like 1990 :p

I can't stand people that don't. Where do you guys get off!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom