• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Do you retro game? (games 20+ years old)

Do you retro game

• Yes

Votes: 106 90.6%
  • No

Votes: 9 7.7%
  • Naw dawg, I need multiplayer to Marc nOObZ

Votes: 2 1.7%

• Total voters

Gamer79

Predicts the worst decade for Sony starting 2022
Occasionally a modem day bright spot surprise like ASTRO Bot comes along. I find myself less and less enjoying modern games. Bottom line is despite the eye candy they are less fun in my opinion.

I play my retro games on my phone with the razer kishi and my ser 5 max mini pc.

More and more I find myself playing 6th generation games. Games like Crazy Taxi, burnout revenge, speed devils, skies of Arcadia, metal gear solid the twin snakes, marvel vs street fighter, ready to rumble, just so many more.

Then having the whole nes, snes, Genesis, arcade libraries.

No patches, no advertisement, no politics, no formulas, the real golden ages of gaming

Guilty_AI

Finished Quake a while back and playing through Kings Field 4 right now. That said i still play modern stuff on equal measure.

Ozzie666

I'm a sucker for Analogue products and reliving the 8-16 bit days, the Pocket is a great FPGA device for so many arcade systems and cores.
I also breakout my Neo Geo ASP and Amiga mni often and get my fixes with those.

intbal

I still play Magic Square on my Merlin.

CT2VnEP.jpeg

Fewer than 5% of games from the past ten years are as good as that.

bender

What time is it?
Most of the new games I've enjoyed the most or am looking forward to in the near future or re-releases games in that age range.

Oh yeah, regularly. NES, Master System, Genesis, SNES, PC-Engine etc. Only on original hardware and on a CRT TV.

Great games don't stop being great, just like older books, music and movies don't. For me it's never about nostalgia, it's about quality.

I don't even really like calling them retro games, they're just games.

Last edited:

Fess

Yes it’s where I find most of the joy to be honest, the older I get the more nostalgic I get. Playing lots of Amiga, have the original hardware, C64, have the new The C64 full size, and there is a cabinet for arcade emulators in the living room, love 80-90s shmups and beat’em ups.

Just found a The Last Ninja collection Kickstarter, wonderful 😍

Last edited:

kevboard

I have over 100 GoG games...
Oh My God Wow GIF

Heoric Launcher + Steam Deck
perfect combination to play some retro games.

just recently played through XIII on it.
c961f804cf039a4a1aecb56acbf51788f2cc0f7c5bc04fa1283ac37eceff89fc_392.jpg

even tho the game has zero controller support, with some quick keybinds through Steam's controller settings I had it set up to feel better to play than both the original console release and the mediocre remake.

WHAT WAS KINDA CRAZY, the game has officially no widescreen support whatsoever. but somehow, going into the game's properties inside of the Deck's library, and then forcing "native resolution" makes the game run flawlessly at 16:10 and 1280x800. no UI or HUD stretching, no issues whatsoever. no idea how steam did that, and it's not even a steam title lol. it felt like a native port to the steam deck after all was configured.

StarWars Battlefront 2 plays great on it as well once you got the keybinds set up. also feels better to play than the official console releases.

I also played through MDK on it. and while you can run into some graphical glitches (which somehow fixed themselves after a reboot 🤷‍♂️) it too plays near perfectly on the deck once you set it up correctly.

the game allows for full analog movement even! as it supported flight stick inputs natively, which you can map to the left stick.

HILARIOUSLY the Steam Deck is also my #1 way to finally play all those hundreds of free Epic Games launcher titles they gave away for free over the years.
Heroic Launcher lets you install those too.

Last edited:

StereoVsn

Oh heck yeah. If anything I appreciate the older gena more and more as time passes.

I have been playing Saturn and Dreamcast games lately. Been practicing my Japanese so going through Grandia on the Saturn lately.

Hoddi

Yes, I even bought myself a CRT TV around 4 years ago with proper RGB cables and all that stuff. People rag on CRTs nowadays but they really had a certain something that modern displays can't really replicate.

I only played Chrono Trigger for the first time a short while ago. And it's a shockingly good game even to this day.

dmaul1114

Very rarely. I’d generally rather play a new game for the first time, watch a movie I haven’t seen before etc. than revisit things. Yes, I could play retro games I didn’t back in the day, but for me games don’t age very well for the most part.

Topher

Gold Member
I like to emulate older games that I buy from retro shops on PC.

I still play Magic Square on my Merlin.

CT2VnEP.jpeg

Fewer than 5% of games from the past ten years are as good as that.

Good God man. I had forgot about Merlin. Never had one but they looked really fun in the commericals.

Last edited:

Thebonehead

I own an original Williams defender cabinet from 1981.

Frantic simple arcade fun.

I also have multiple c64s, c128, atari 400/800 , c16, plus4, oric, BBC b, BBC master, Amiga 500, Amiga 1000 plus many more.

I occasionally play on them for a quick nostalgic blast but it would probably constitute less than 2 % of my play time.

Defender about 5% as I love a good session on that

Consoles. I have everything. . All modern plus retro including things like collecovision and vetrex through to xsx, Ps5 and switch.

My play time on those has been zero percent for a few years now.

Last Ps5 have was horizon which I dropped after about 8 hours and the Ps5 hasn't been switched on since.

Xsx was vampire survivors about a year ago I think.

All other gaming is on the pc these days.

Mattyp

Gold Member
It’s 90% of what I play, I might finally do a game room reveal and blow some cunts minds on here that I actually own more Sony games and products than Xbox by a large margin.

Before Sony went to shit.

Natsuko

Occasionally. I recently started Link's Awakening (DX?) on the Switch again. I had to have the avatar pictures from the online thing. :D

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
All the time. I just got a Mister Pi and have been playing old space shooters and platformers this week, plus the all-time classic Symphony of the Night in its original version. Plus I have plenty of old games on my Switch, Xbox and PC, legally bought from modern storefronts, and I play them regularly.

People who answer a clear-cut “no” to this question really puzzle me. Imagine going to school and every book school exposes you to isn’t older than 20 years, treating anything older as completely obsolete shit that could disappear leaving the world exactly as it is. Imagine being a movie enthusiast and only watching stuff from the last two decades. Yeah, I know this comparison is made all the time. But it never ceases being legit. A lot of old games are still perfectly playable and enjoyable, and they offer experiences and gameplay that simply can’t be found today. What is in current games that has completely made old games obsolete? Surely not the bloat, the still embarrassing scripts, the overcomplicated control schemes, the awful pacing, and the utter disrespect of your time.

Last edited:
Definitely. I have a PC and there's plenty of old PC retro stuff I'll revisit once in a while. Like the other day, I played Gabriel Knight 2 and found myself missing the good days when games had FMV.

Holammer

When I want to play something old I usually play some arcade game with MAME. Such games still hold up. Do I want to play some Psycho-Nics Oscar? boot it up! The vertical shmup where you ride a motorcycle and get side carts as upgrades? (intense googling)... Thundercade!
I spent so much time (and money) in the arcades it's my go-to retro fix. Plus the games ran on bleeding edge hardware for the time, so they still look awesome.

Nikodemos

There's a shockingly large number of late-90s to early-00s titles that were never digitalized. The only way to play them is to either hunt for a copy on some online marketplace, or download a rip.

GrayDock

From time to time, but most games that I haven't played or haven't finished at the time.
When some friends come by we try to revive those comfy couch times, playing Mario Kart 64, GoldenEye, MK 2, SF 2, SFAlpha, Contra 3, Streets of Rage, Battletoads, Double Dragon, etc.

Top Bottom