• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Doctor Strange |OT| By the Hoary Hosts of Hoggoth

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thought it was good. Didn't blow me away, but definitely a lot to enjoy here. I loved how dynamic the fights were (unlike other Marvel movies where it's generally just people punching each other) and the plot wasn't as predictable as I expected at first.

How important is the 3D?

I'm going to go see it tomorrow, and since my free tickets only cover 2D/regular admission, I just went with that. I didn't feel like spending $3 for the glasses, as 3D generally doesn't blow me away.

Syriel

Just saw it, was a complete visual treat, I feel like
mordo's decent onto madness is just a tad too flimsy as i think he should have understood she did what did for the greater good

He's basically
lawful neutral. Following the rules is more important than anything else.

How important is the 3D?

I'm going to go see it tomorrow, and since my free tickets only cover 2D/regular admission, I just went with that. I didn't feel like spending $3 for the glasses, as 3D generally doesn't blow me away.

Important? Not at all.

On a regular screen, 2D is fine. But on IMAX 3D should be very pretty.

Important? Not at all.

On a regular screen, 2D is fine. But on IMAX 3D should be very pretty.

I had heard people talking like it was imperative for this film. But others said it's blurry and gives headaches. (3D has never bugged me, but I don't like paying extra for it.)

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
I had heard people talking like it was imperative for this film. But others said it's blurry and gives headaches. (3D has never bugged me, but I don't like paying extra for it.)

The 3D is fine, but the glasses they used at Scotiabank IMAX are absolute garbage. There was so much light bouncing around the glasses that it sort of almost ruined the movie.

Watching it on a giant screen is really nice though.

The 3D is fine, but the glasses they used at Scotiabank IMAX are absolute garbage. There was so much light bouncing around the glasses that it sort of almost ruined the movie.

That's too bad

I'm just going to see it at the old theatre nearby. It was built in the 90s, but isn't too bad outside of uncomfortable seats that start making my ass hurt after a while.

There's a newer one not too far from here, but I don't feel like driving into the city or paying more because they'll likely have it in 3D/AVX.

I'm only casually interested in this movie, like most Marvel movies (I do wish they'd slow down the production line), so I wasn't going to go to any extra effort and just used a free pass. One of five I got from cereal.

Neoxon

How important is the 3D?

It's not important, but goddamn does it look good.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
I'm going to say this is the best Origin film Marvel has had. First time since WS I walked out of a Marvel movie and felt satisfied. It was a lot of fun.

Just got back from seeing it. Stuck with 2D, and was fine with that.

Some of the effects were really impressive and the set pieces/fight scenes they allowed for were pretty stunning, especially towards the end. The movie really benefited from them.

Outside of that, the movie was decent. Solid, but not spectacular, and a bit boring at times.

Question:

Although I got into the theatre about ten minutes late, I assumed previews would still be airing. The movie had started, though, so I'm curious about how much I missed.

Tilda Swinton was fighting Mads' character and his cronies in New York, wearing her yellow hood, and then appeared in the city afterwards.

Quick

Banned
Question:

Although I got into the theatre about ten minutes late, I assumed previews would still be airing. The movie had started, though, so I'm curious about how much I missed.

Tilda Swinton was fighting Mads' character and his cronies in New York, wearing her yellow hood, and then appeared in the city afterwards.

Nothing that the movie didn't cover a little later on.

Question:

Just Mads killing the previous librarian and raiding the library for the book and tearing the page out.

Saw it today, loved it. Definitly one of the best MCU films imo. I had pretty good expectations for this film and it met them. Film was visually amazing. First film i've seen in a while that could visual impress me. Humor was great and the film kept me completely engaged through out. Cumberbach was amazing and I loved his performance.

- J - D -

6.5/10. Outside of the (very) well done magical sequences, the movie left me a bit cold. It rushes through everything, and no one really gets the development I feel they deserve...not even the title character himself.

Jackpot

Banned
Visuals were great but characters and action scenes weren't compelling at all.

I totally get the Green Lantern movie parallels.

TheFatOne

Really loved this movie. Thought it could have use a little more character development though, but overall I really loved it.

Just read an article where Scott Derrickson said the movie takes place over a year. From Autumn to Autumn. The end is real time in the MCU. Strange is in the hospital / rehab for about 3-6 months.

They were going to make him the Sorcerer Supreme immediately but changed their minds. More plausible to have him be a novice at the time of the attacks.

DeathyBoy

Banned
Just read an article where Scott Derrickson said the movie takes place over a year. From Autumn to Autumn. The end is real time in the MCU. Strange is in the hospital / rehab for about 3-6 months.

They were going to make him the Sorcerer Supreme immediately but changed their minds. More plausible to have him be a novice at the time of the attacks.

I like the film but that doesn't reflect what's on screen, at all. The passage of time is conveyed poorly.

Re: Time Passing

The time pre-magic makes sense. The healing of his hands from multiple surgeries isn't going to take a week or two. The example price of $200k for the latest surgery he was chasing after would've been affordable if he hadn't been spending 6 months or so blowing all of his cash on various procedures.

The time passing in training wasn't really handled well. The only real beat to note was when Wong was surprised that he had read all the books in the time he had, but we have no frame of reference as to how long that's supposed to take for any "normal" student.

When he goes to Christine for the patch up, she doesn't say specifically how long he was gone, just "After all this time".

It would've been more helpful if they'd thrown a few date markers in there, maybe holiday or month specific things.

Wanderer5

Well that was a really awesome time. Marvel did very well bringing in the doctor into the MCU, and the fights were really good for the kind Strange is. Cumberbatch did a great job as Strange, including Strange's big ego that would cause him to be very bitter after the accident.

After having actually read through some of Strange stories in recent times beyond major events and crossovers and seeing this movie, I think the doctor has become one of my favorite marvel superheroes. I shall be looking forward to more of him in the MCU.

Also funny, I was wondering who Kaecilius was in the comics, and I just realize he was a disciple of Mordo lol.

brawly

I'm tired of ranking these movies, but it was great.

Cumberbatch is such a likable mofo and perfect casting. The visual effects are incredible. Couldn't get enough of them. The comedic moments remain one of my favorite parts about the Marvel movies and they're great here. The casting in general was spot on. What I surprisingly loved the most might be the music. That theme and the endcredits. So good.

The villain was kinda meh, as was the endfight but I don't really mind it when it's entertaining throughout. It's an origin movie and it did a great job at that.

I likex it better than Ant-Man, which I thought was solid.

Korgill

So when are they going to make him Sorcerer Supreme? Before Thanos in Thor, someone during the Thanos fight, or during his next solo?

guek

Banned
So when are they going to make him Sorcerer Supreme? Before Thanos in Thor, someone during the Thanos fight, or during his next solo?

I'm betting some time during Avengers 3 or 4. They're going to push Cumberbatch hard as RDJ is being phased out.

Hey, you know what would be really handy right about now.

The time gem D:

This is one Marvel movie where an extended cut would probably be a good thing. Just more time with Strange before the accident and of his time in training.

I also think that
Dormammu should've had scenes inserted throughout the movie with Kaecilius. We know he's a factor mid-movie, so showing him more would've developed the villains a bit better. But maybe it would've felt like Thanos and Ronan in Guardians.

Kickz

Just saw this today and Cumberbatch was phenomenal, he really shined with his acting chops and brought the character to life. And fucking finally a Marvel villain worth a damn.
This shoots upto my number 2 Marvel film just after Guardians of the Galaxy

I'm betting some time during Avengers 3 or 4. They're going to push Cumberbatch hard as RDJ is being phased out.

The time gem D:

your spoiler kills me, pikachan

i agree D:

Re: Time Passing

The time pre-magic makes sense. The healing of his hands from multiple surgeries isn't going to take a week or two. The example price of $200k for the latest surgery he was chasing after would've been affordable if he hadn't been spending 6 months or so blowing all of his cash on various procedures.

The time passing in training wasn't really handled well. The only real beat to note was when Wong was surprised that he had read all the books in the time he had, but we have no frame of reference as to how long that's supposed to take for any "normal" student.

When he goes to Christine for the patch up, she doesn't say specifically how long he was gone, just "After all this time".

It would've been more helpful if they'd thrown a few date markers in there, maybe holiday or month specific things.

Per the director, the entire span of the movie takes place over slightly more than a year, early fall to late fall the next year.

From the wreck/healing/procedures is 3-6 months. The mystical training to the London Sanctum attack is 6 months.

(Random tidbit: Strange dies at least a 1000 times in the final fight.)

I agree the movie should have done more to convey the passage of time.

Jarmel

Banned
I'm a little stunned that people are putting this even remotely near the top of the Marvel movies. This is probably on the weaker end.

Per the director, the entire span of the movie takes place over slightly more than a year, early fall to late fall the next year.

From the wreck/healing/procedures is 3-6 months. The mystical training to the London Sanctum attack is 6 months.

(Random tidbit: Strange dies at least a 1000 times in the final fight.)

I agree the movie should have done more to convey the passage of time.

oooo boy they really fucked that up

Tobor

The time gem D:

Citation needed. Why do people keep saying this? He could go another decade easily.

Symphonia

Banned
Was this shot at a higher FPS than other Disney films, or did my cinema fuck up playing it back? I swear it had that soap opera effect going on.

Hero

I enjoyed it but wish they had cranked up the magical aspect to an 11. Hopefully they were being cautiously reserved for the first one and will go nuts.

DarthWoo

I'm glad Grandpa porked a Chinese Muslim
I was just thinking about this today, but does anyone else agree that it seems that whatever role Mads Mikkelsen is playing, his voice and accent just make him an incredibly soothing and pacifying presence? It doesn't matter if he's just providing exposition or he's in the process of cutting off your leg so he can roast it and feed it to you, it's like you just have to feel relaxed around him.

hydruxo

I enjoyed it but wish they had cranked up the magical aspect to an 11. Hopefully they were being cautiously reserved for the first one and will go nuts.

Huh? They went pretty wild with the magic IMO. I mean it was a main focus throughout.

http://collider.com/weekend-box-office-winner-moana

And with regards to Marvel Studios’ Doctor Strange, distributed by Disney, the superhero pic pulled in $13.4 million over the three-day weekend and $18.9 million for the five-day corridor, which brings its global box office tally to over $600 million in four weeks of release. That means it has surpassed the lifetime box office of The Incredible Hulk ($263M), Captain America: The First Avenger ($371M), Thor ($449M), Ant-Man ($520M), and Iron Man ($585), which means it has set the record for the largest box office for any single-character superhero launch from Marvel Studios. It has also surpassed the domestic totals for all of those films except for Iron Man, so yeah, you could say Benedict Cumberbatch‘s hero is gonna be sticking around for a while.

Dormammu, I've come to make fat jack.

I watched the movie yesterday. I loved the visuals, maybe i should have watched it in 3D. But i did not love the movie. It reminded me a lot with the first Avenger movie in a sense that Shield had a secret weapon program to fight against aliens.
The ancient one tapped into darkness to live longer and fight.
I mean it was generic formula that Marvel has made that frankly warred off long ago.

richiek

steals Justin Bieber DVDs
https://twitter.com/MarvelUK/status/811305091059814400/photo/1

Doctor Strange is coming out on Blu-ray on March 6th 2017 in the UK.

C0JVgRpWEAECbXb.jpg

Just saw this! Enjoyed it to an extent, the action was fun and there was some cool magic stuff. Great effects on the city-bending. Benedict was great and showed off a lot of charisma, but I ultimately think that the film didn't really sell Strange's transition from
selfish asshole who screams "Go away and fuck you, beautiful woman who cares about me"
to
self-sacrificing hero who wants to save us all.
I think that the film ultimately didn't do enough to show that he used to be
an arrogant prick
, which gives his transition even less impact. I guess they wanted us to
like him as much as possible from the very beginning
but I think that spoils the point of the character. Also,
what, there are literally no other strong wizard masters at the school than Strange and Mordo and Wong? No one else to step up? Strange is just the default person to stop this evil threat?
At least the film doesn't make Strange
a figure of prophecy
though it comes awfully close.

I recently finished reading Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrell, so it was fun to see Dr. Strange discovering and learning about magic with alacrity and precocious skill, much as Jonathan Strange does. Tilda Swinton is also a treasure and I appreciated her performance,
it's just a shame that the Ancient One died, because it would have been wonderful to have Swinton remain in the Marvel universe. Well, it's always possible that she'll show up as a Force ghost or whatever.

guek

Banned
Ugh. I bought the Civil War steelbook despite buying the box sets for phase 1 and 2. Will I get this one too? Have I fallen down the rabbit hole?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom