• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Doctor Who Series 10 |OT| He's Back, and It's About Time

Dimefan3

After watching this last episode, I'm becoming more convinced every time I see Matt Lucas that he might be the next doctor in hiding - a few of his mannerisms at the end just seemed to incorporate a few mannerisms of past doctors.

I know it's probably just wishful thinking, but you never know...

After watching this last episode, I'm becoming more convinced every time I see Matt Lucas that he might be the next doctor in hiding - a few of his mannerisms at the end just seemed to incorporate a few mannerisms of past doctors.

I know it's probably just wishful thinking, but you never know...

The next Doctor isn't being cast by Moffat, remember, so it's unlikely to be the case that he's teeing the character up with this long a run-in. At most, if he appears early, it'll be a one-episode thing no doubt with Chibnall assisting.

Also, a lot like with Catherine Tate Lucas has such a massively successful career that they'd be unlikely to be able to get him for more than a series, and even this series it's notable that he's not really 'in' every episode aside from a scene here and there, he'll only actually be fully in about half the episodes. As with Tate he has his own comedy shows to make/run!

mclem

Well, if he is, he certainly doesn't know it, given that he happily talked about being ''rebuilt' at the end of the episode (when muttering to himself, so not actually covering-up for anyone). Could be a Chameleon Arch sort of situation

I must say when I first heard of Matt Lucas in Doctor Who at all I was very skeptical, and his first appearance didn't win me over at all.

But since then, the times we have seen him, I've actually really enjoyed his character. It's not overplayed or too silly, which was my concern. I like Doctor Who when it's humourous without being ridiculously silly, and Nardole actually has been written pretty well. So I'm actually quite pleased to see more of him in this series now :)

He's grown on me quicker than Catherine Tate ever did.

tomtom94

It's really hilarious how Nardole is basically a completely different character from when he first appeared. Not in a bad way, necessarily - same as how S9 Capaldi is different from S8 Capaldi.

Pluto

My series rankings would probably be...

5>9>7>6>8>2>4>3>1
4>2>5>3>8>1>6>7>9

would be my order, I want to tank 6 higher because I love Rory but the "doctor dies for real" plot and way too much River (who I like a lot in smaller doses) ruined it for me.

4>2>3>5>1>6>8>9>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>7

Everything Moffat wrote to do with Trenzalore and the Time War was beyond awful.

Santiako

For me, 5 and 9 are definitely the best series, after that 8 and 4 probably come next. 1,2,3 were good and 6 and 7 were kind of a mess.

I must say when I first heard of Matt Lucas in Doctor Who at all I was very skeptical, and his first appearance didn't win me over at all.

I'm more amazed that Matt Lucas is a regular in Who now and David Walliams just did one guest spot in that awful episode in the hotel- I always thought Walliams was the bigger Who fan out of the Little Britain duo (I mean, they did have Tom Baker narrate the thing).

Oh, are we doing this?

4>8>1>5>3>9>2>6>7

My rewatch of the RTD era has been helping this- I like series 1 and 4 a hell of a lot more now than a month ago, and I like 2 quite a bit less.

tomtom94

Erm.

4>1>5>3>7>8>6>2

Need to rewatch 9 but it's near the top. I might also swap 3 and 7 round depending on what day it is.

4 is mainly top for the strength of the last four episodes - I would say 1 is still the most consistent series of the show to date, it's just a bit dated now. Of course, nostalgia plays its part there.

Surprised at the hate for 7 - I thought there were some good episodes in it and Name is still my favourite Moffat finale.

My rewatch of the RTD era has been helping this- I like series 1 and 4 a hell of a lot more now than a month ago, and I like 2 quite a bit less.

I'm still a big fan of 2. The Girl in the Fireplace, The Impossible Planet, The Satan Pit, Army of Ghosts and Doomsday are all really strong episodes, and this is the one series RTD did with a decent ending that felt logical.

Satan Pit in particular is one of my favourite Who eps ever.

I'm still a big fan of 2. The Girl in the Fireplace, The Impossible Planet, The Satan Pit, Army of Ghosts and Doomsday are all really strong episodes, and this is the one series RTD did with a decent ending that felt logical.

There are individual great episodes, but I don't really like the character arcs and how the series hangs together much at all.

I rank the series based on how I feel about the show as a whole, not just the individual episodes- series 3 has the pinnacle of modern Who (Gridlock) and series 4 has the nadir (The Doctor's Daughter), but I wouldn't dream of swapping them around because the series as a whole works so much better in 4. Similarly, there's absolutely nothing offensive or even very wrong about any given series 7 episode, but the series hangs together so poorly and is so generally flat and uninspired that it belongs right at the bottom.

LeonSPBR

4>2>3>5>1>6>8>9>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>7

Everything Moffat wrote to do with Trenzalore and the Time War was beyond awful.

My list would be almost like yours, but I would like change the third season with the first.

4>2>1>5>3>6>8>9>>>>>>>>9

Also yes Trenzalore part was awful.

Pluto

Surprised at the hate for 7 - I thought there were some good episodes in it and Name is still my favourite Moffat finale.
Amy and Rory had overstayed their welcome at that point, the episodes they did appear in were mediocre and they were then written out in the worst possible way only to be replaced by Clara who wasn't a character but a mystery the doctor had to solve.

Amy and Rory had overstayed their welcome at that point, the episodes they did appear in were mediocre and they were then written out in the worst possible way only to be replaced by Clara who wasn't a character but a mystery the doctor had to solve.
This is all true.

It's also super telling that its highlights were episodes by Chibnall and Gatiss (The Power of Three and The Crimson Horror, respectively).

Oh, are we doing this?

4>8>1>5>3>9>2>6>7

7 is in fact the worst season of Nu-Who. I did a rewatch recently with my girlfriend and season 7 is just a mess of mediocre stories and a shoddy arc that does a poor job of setting up the 50th anniversary special. Glad the 50th turned out so well at least.

The Day Of The Doctor is great because it basically jettisons anything that was going on beforehand besides the War Doctor cliffhanger from The Name Of The Doctor. They make a brilliantly clean break with Clara's S7 bullshit.

Series 7 is, overall, fucking awful. I love Dinosaurs On A Spaceship though. And Hide.

xandaca

For me:

4 > 3 > 5 > 9 > Specials > 1 > 6 > 7 > 8 > 2

(Series 8 actually has fewer good episodes than 2, only really having the Jamie Mathieson episodes and maybe Enter The Dalek in its favour, but the Doctor and Rose in S2 are completely insufferable together and it's a huge relief when they're finally separated)

The main difference between 6 and 7 is that 6 was an ambitious series that didn't come together, whereas 7 was a profoundly unambitious series that didn't come together.

Neither are great, but I'd rather watch the one trying something seriously new. Same reason I'd rather watch Kill The Moon rather than, say, Robot of Sherwood.

There are individual great episodes, but I don't really like the character arcs and how the series hangs together much at all.

I rank the series based on how I feel about the show as a whole, not just the individual episodes- series 3 has the pinnacle of modern Who (Gridlock) and series 4 has the nadir (The Doctor's Daughter), but I wouldn't dream of swapping them around because the series as a whole works so much better in 4. Similarly, there's absolutely nothing offensive or even very wrong about any given series 7 episode, but the series hangs together so poorly and is so generally flat and uninspired that it belongs right at the bottom.

Ah, fair enough.

The Day Of The Doctor is great because it basically jettisons anything that was going on beforehand besides the War Doctor cliffhanger from The Name Of The Doctor. They make a brilliantly clean break with Clara's S7 bullshit.

Series 7 is, overall, fucking awful. I love Dinosaurs On A Spaceship though. And Hide.

I really don't like DOTD. The earth medival stuff is great, but everything that takes it's cues from The End of Time is just....weird.

In "The End of Time" the last day of time time war, the council was saying they were at the furthest reach of the time war and at its frontline, people were constantly dying and were reborn.

At the selfsame time in "Day of the Doctor", everyone is talking about how all the daleks that exist are apparently encircling gallifrey and were about to destroy it.

It also ignores the fact that the doctor using the Moment had nothing to do with the war, he used it to stop Rassilon from using the ultimate sanction, and that was the reason it was the last day of the time war - nothing to do with anything the daleks were doing.

Weird to work so heavily off an episode and at the same time get so many of the most integral parts of it wrong.

Some ratings news, is that The Pilot got a consolidated rating of 6.68M which is quite a bit above the series 9 opener, and Thin Ice got an AI of 84, which is very good.

Solid figures all around from a show in its 10th series.

Some ratings news, is that The Pilot got a consolidated rating of 6.68M which is quite a bit above the series 9 opener, and Thin Ice got an AI of 84, which is very good.

Solid figures all around from a show in its 10th series.

People hungry for Who. Thin Ice was great as well. Hopefully that keeps people tuning in.

I hope the "enhanced" sound will be in the iTunes version, as that's how I've been watching them. (Bought a season pass).

Should be. Binaural Audio is totally compatible with normal stereo, and can add a suitable layer of creepiness to the proceedings. Sound recorded using a binaural microphone has very realistic panning compared to faking it with a knob on a mixer.

Should be. Binaural Audio is totally compatible with normal stereo, and can add a suitable layer of creepiness to the proceedings. Sound recorded using a binaural microphone has very realistic panning compared to faking it with a knob on a mixer.

Oh, that's cool, I didn't know that!

So, why did they make a point of saying to watch on iPlayer if you want the enhanced audio? Are they just assuming that no one uses headphones with their TV's?

Broken Joystick

At least you can talk. Who are you?
http://www.radiotimes.com/news/2017...r-who-series-10-appearance-has-been-confirmed

The latest news is not about a returning character, but concerns a new actor joining the cast who has been kept under wraps until now.

Actress Samantha Spiro confirmed during an appearance on BBC Breakfast that she would be appearing later in the series, although she refused to reveal what exactly her role will entail.

“I’ll be in this series of Doctor Who. I can’t say how, I can’t say who, I can’t say where!” she said on the BBC1 show.

Possibly
Susan
?

Oh, that's cool, I didn't know that!

So, why did they make a point of saying to watch on iPlayer if you want the enhanced audio? Are they just assuming that no one uses headphones with their TV's?

no idea, but the binaural effect isn't as pronounced if you don't use headphones and most peeps wouldn't use headphones on their telly (I do). Or maybe they've downmixed it for the broadcast version because of some technical reasons to do with the stuff they do to audio for broadcast.

this is for a game but it gives you a demo of binaural
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gFdPXCzxMg8

updated: http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/doctorwho/entries/3a068c5d-033a-405c-a8a2-005f567e2010
There's a featurette about this plus clips with and without binaural audio to compared the two

Blader

I loved Trenzalore! The Name of the Doctor is one of my favorite finales.

Weird, I was just thinking about series rankings yesterday after I finished the last ep.

5 > 8 > 4 > 6 > 2 > 9 > 7 > 3 > 1

Something like that.

As cheesy as it sounds - and is - one of my favorite Who moments of all time is the Doctor and Rose's reunion in the TARDIS at the end of The Satan Pit. It's one of the only times where I actually felt onboard with the Ten/Rose romance.

Hmm. Season rankings, huh?

4 > 9 > 3 > 8 > 1 > 5 > 6 > 7 > 2

I think both Moff and RTD started OK, had wicked sophomore slumps, then pulled it out in the end.

Davide

This. 5 and 6 are my favorite. Well written, full if mysteries and discovery, some if the shows best music and awesome doctor speeches and encounters and twists... I could go on...
Yeah, the music, the speeches, and the Silence, the story archs, everything, it felt like Doctor Who reached its peak then. My thoughts on each series:

Series 1: Difficult to judge this series in retrospect. It's very dated and often absurd, it doesn't take itself as seriously - Aliens of London - but on the other hand it's not often dull and it's now classic. The Ninth Doctor and Rose as characters, and their relationship, work. The Parting of the Ways finale is epic and emotional. Moffat wrote the best 9th Doctor story, no surprise. I think this is one of the better early seasons.

Series 2: Tennant's a great Doctor. Rose was the perfect companion for him and the other two were in her shadow. Unfortunately they didn't have many good stories together. As with Season 1, the best episode is Girl in the Fireplace, which is a perfect episode for 10 but doesn't involve much of Rose. Second to that is the two Satan Pit episodes, one of the best Tennant (and Rose) stories. School Reunion was good, with Sarah Jane. Tooth and Claw and The Cybermen introduction is alright. Then there's some really bad and meh episodes, like Fear Her, Army of Monsters, The Idiot's Lantern. It's mixed, with higher highs and lower lows than Series 1.

Series 3: Probably worse than Series 2. Martha was a good companion and she had one of the best introductory episodes, but the rest of the series didn't live up to the opening. The Daleks in Manhattan episodes were awful and the finale with the Master although it started alright ending over-the-top in its ridiculousness. The Shakespeare episode isn't bad, the Human Nature duology is pretty good, and obviously Blink by Moffat is a classic.

Series 4: I'm not a fan of Donna and there were a lot of terrible and boring episodes, excluding the Fires of Pompeii which is one of 10's best. As per usual, Moffat wrote the best story of the series, Silence of the Library. The finale is epic and a great reunion with all the characters, but also absolutely absurd, towing a planet. Of the specials, only one was great - Waters of Mars - and the End of Time had some good moments.

Series 5: This is where it really takes off. Matt Smith and a full Moffat takeover. The speeches. The theme. Amy. The Eleventh Hour is the best Doctor intro, and it has other gems like the Angel duology and Vincent and the Doctor. It probably has the best Doctor Who finale too, The Big Bang is epic and not absurd like RTD's finales.

Series 6: Maintains the momentum very well through the excellent two-part opening in America. Peak Doctor Who. The rest is mixed but rarely bad. Its ambition is admirable. The finale is anticlimactic but probably comes off better binge-watching it and still manages to feel epic. I like A Good Man Goes to War.

Series 7: Mixed. The worst episode of 11's time is by the new show runner, Dinosaurs on a Spaceship. It gets a lot better when Clara takes over, I love The Snowmen and Bells of Saint John. And I think this was Clara at her best. 11's theme gets even better. The finale leads into an epic and absolutely major story for the Doctor which will be difficult to top.

Series 8: A lot of promise. Deep Breath was fantastic and set a completely different tone for the show and the Doctor. Peter Capaldi's great. Listen's great. Unfortunately his and Clara's relationship was kind of awkward and Danny Pink was the worst mistake of the series. It's better than any of RTD's series.

Series 9: The best Doctor Who writing since Series 5? Maybe. The two opening episodes with Davros and Missy are among the show's best episodes ever. The duologies were a good idea. A great speech from Capaldi's Doctor for once. Capaldi's guitar playing. Heaven Sent is possibly the best episode of the series with the best twist ending. Clara's exit is emotional. The finale with the Time Lords is epic but unfortunately leads into...

Series 10: Which seems to have totally lost the momentum from that finale. It's alright. It seems like it's getting better. But so far, it's not compelling. It's at the bottom of my rankings.

5 and 9 are the best.

The main difference between 6 and 7 is that 6 was an ambitious series that didn't come together, whereas 7 was a profoundly unambitious series that didn't come together.
7 unambitious? Nah.

It begins having each episode be like a short movie with high production values, it introduces a companion who starts as a mystery and by far had the most impact on the Doctor's life, and it sets up the end of the Doctor's life cycle with the huge event that was the 50th anniversary episode. It's more ambitious than S6 was.

My ranking is something like 4=5 > 3 > 9 > 1 > 8 > 2 > 7 > 6.

4 and 5 are I think the pinnacle of the show. Two absolutely perfect series, more or less.

3 fails to really stick the landing with elements of its finale (the emotional ending is strong, the literal story ending a mess) but is a consistently great series right through. The Dalek stories are the weakest, but even then it is thematically the most interesting Dalek story modern Who has ever told.

I think Smith's later two series are just poor in different ways for different reasons. Series 6 has a lot to love but it's buried among some real guff, while Series 7 is just strangely unremarkable.

Capaldi's got better as time has gone on, and it reminds me of the sort of improvement we had for Tennant from 2 to 3 to 4, so I'm really hopeful for that year. Maybe this year and next can be another series 4/5 moment if we're lucky.

Protome

My ranking is something like 4=5 > 3 > 9 > 1 > 8 > 2 > 7 > 6.

4 and 5 are I think the pinnacle of the show. Two absolutely perfect series, more or less.

3 fails to really stick the landing with elements of its finale (the emotional ending is strong, the literal story ending a mess) but is a consistently great series right through. The Dalek stories are the weakest, but even then it is thematically the most interesting Dalek story modern Who has ever told.

I think Smith's later two series are just poor in different ways for different reasons. Series 6 has a lot to love but it's buried among some real guff, while Series 7 is just strangely unremarkable.

Capaldi's got better as time has gone on, and it reminds me of the sort of improvement we had for Tennant from 2 to 3 to 4, so I'm really hopeful for that year. Maybe this year and next can be another series 4/5 moment if we're lucky.

Your ranking is about the same as mine with the notable caveat that The Girl In The Fireplace from series 2 is one of my favourite overall episodes with which comes the constant reminder to me that I much prefer Moffat as an episode writer than a showrunner, even if he has ran a few great series now.

So far this Series has been one of my favourites, I hope it keeps this quality up and can go up at the top of that list with 4 and 5 and it's a real shame Capaldi is leaving the show.

A-V-B

Your ranking is about the same as mine with the notable caveat that The Girl In The Fireplace from series 2 is one of my favourite overall episodes with which comes the constant reminder to me that I much prefer Moffat as an episode writer than a showrunner, even if he has ran a few great series now.

So far this Series has been one of my favourites, I hope it keeps this quality up and can go up at the top of that list with 4 and 5 and it's a real shame Capaldi is leaving the show.

Yeah, series 2 is worth it at least for Girl in the Fireplace, and The Satan Pit 2-parter.

Protome

Yeah, series 2 is worth it at least for Girl in the Fireplace, and The Satan Pit 2-parter.

I mean the exchange

Mickey: What's a horse doing on a spaceship?
Doctor: Mickey, What's pre-revolutionary France doing on a spaceship? get a little perspective.

is the best exchange in the entire show ever and you can't convince me otherwise.

liquidtmd

Banned
I mean the exchange

Mickey: What's a horse doing on a spaceship?
Doctor: Mickey, What's pre-revolutionary France doing on a spaceship? get a little perspective.

is the best exchange in the entire show ever and you can't convince me otherwise.

Oh snap, we've just become best friends

Amen.

Harlock

Sorry but it's clearly Chris Chibnall

Or...

adventuretime.jpg

Top Bottom