• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Doctor Who Series 10 |OT| He's Back, and It's About Time

That was legit creepy in a lot of places. Good stuff.

And that ending, such a tease...
The fact whoever is inside got happy at the prospect of young people being eaten leads me to believe it is pre-Missy Master or Missy herself in there.

I don't know if anyone saw this already, but I spotted this on Facebook a few days ago:
5ZKOfgW.png
Writer of The Martian, if anyone is wondering. Maybe he'll be doing an episode of DW?

On the other topic of the day, I really enjoyed todays episode. I wasn't expecting the feels at the end. Possibly my favourite this season so far.

Santiako

That was great. This series has been fantastic so far. I like how it's all been smaller stories that focus on people.

Bill quickly climbing the ranks of companions to get into my favourites.

xandaca

Wasn't especially mad about that, Suchet was great and it was nice to see Bill working something out, but it was absolutely by-the-book formula Who. Bill calling the Doctor her grandfather further reinforces the belief I put forward after The Pilot that she's the regenerated Susan. The Master (I'm guessing not Missy, since she was last left on Skaro with a plan) being in the vault seems the most obvious outcome, though hopefully it's something more surprising and original than that. So far...

The Pilot - 5/10
Smile - 6/10
Thin Ice - 7/10
Knock Knock - 6/10

Hoping things get into gear from next week's episode since Jamie Matheson is three for three, but the eps from Extremis (E6) onwards, going by the synopses, hint at really upping the stakes.

CorrisD

badchoiceboobies
Going to copy from Reddit my "out there" guess I make for this season based on little to no actual facts or evidence that will likely not even be remotely correct or near the truth.

With the picture of The Doctors granddaughter on his table, Bills joke that he is her grandfather in this episode, and with the picture/s of Bills mother that were taken by The Doctor, that Bill is his great granddaughter. Bills mother being his granddaughter who last we heard was left on earth who eventually regenerates into Bills mother, who at some point has Bill when something tragic happens and she regenerates into someone else and as such "dies" and leaves Bill. I would also suggest that maybe Bills adoptive mother Moira is actually her mother who had then regenerated but didn't want to explain the whole time lord thing to her daughter and take her into that world so she could live a normal life and ends up hanging out with The Doctor anyway.

Just random thought that popped into my head while watching.

Joqu

I'd place a cheeky bet on the Thirteenth Doctor being the one in the Vault, myself.

Maybe I'm reading too much into it but vault person seemed rather comforted by people getting eaten in the Doctor's story, you'd think if it were 13 they'd be pleased when they heard about the alien bug part? That didn't give me a particularly "Doctor" vibe.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
I'm a sucker for this type of creepy mansion story. Fun episode, although the alien logistics were a bit naffer than usual. I liked Bill's crew so I actually liked that they returned at the end, even though it didn't make any sense. Good acting and chemistry between all involved, and it once again elevated the material. Great season continues to be great.

Maybe I'm reading too much into it but vault person seemed rather comforted by people getting eaten in the Doctor's story, you'd think if it were 13 they'd be pleased when they heard about the alien bug part? That didn't give me a particularly "Doctor" vibe.
Well, there's only two characters that it realistically could be in there- the Doctor, or the Master.

Personally, I'm pinning my theory on the Doctor saying that the takeaway was just for him.

Boem

Just watched the binaural version after having just a bit too much to drink.

Yeah, this is my favorite episode of the season so far. Good stuff.

I really enjoyed that. This series has felt quite back-to-basics so far and it's been refreshing, especially for a Twelfth Doctor series - with Twelfth coming off the back of the 50th anniversary and inheriting Clara and Series 8 having a number of Eleventh Doctor references, this is the first time a new Capaldi series has felt like a fresh start.

The ongoing arcs (or potential ongoing arcs?) are simple and intriguing without making episodes feel continuity-heavy too.

We just need some really original standout episodes later on to make this a well remembered series.

Joqu

Well, there's only two characters that it realistically could be in there- the Doctor, or the Master.

Personally, I'm pinning my theory on the Doctor saying that the takeaway was just for him.

I mean I think you're right there, so I guess I feel like it's probably the Master. But that would really suck because it'd mean it's been spoiled for us already so yeah...

... Clearly it's captain Jack Harkness

Well, it's obviously the Master, isn't it? Dude loved eating people up after he came back to life.
They've played up both Gomez and Simm way too much in the marketing for either of them to be a satisfying reveal for half a season's worth of mystery.

I'm not, of course, discarding the idea that it is one of them, but Moffat's usually a little savvier than that.

Effect

Damn. This episode is way more creepier then I expected. This isn't your normal Doctor Who horror. This is close to horror horror for me.

hamchan

I enjoyed the concept of this episode but something about it didn't gel with me. Maybe an editing issue or perhaps they could have done another take on a lot of scenes, because a lot of the dialogue and conversations felt really awkward to me.

Anyways I totally think it's the Doctor himself inside the vault. The thing in the vault reacting to people being eaten could be more a curiousity standpoint rather than an evil glee view, just like the Doctor.

Bluth54

Another solid episode and a really great horror/haunted house type episode.

We haven't had a super amazing episode this season yet but I think all of the episodes have been pretty enjoyable and I hope they continue to keep up the quality.

Sheroking

Bill continues to be one of the most charamatic and likeable companions of recent memory. Looking forward to this episode though, I love the concept of this episode though, the creaks and taps in the background of your house... being something else.

I don't think NuWho has ever missed on a companion.

As far as casting leads go, I have the utmost confidence in them. It's never been a problem.

Bluth54

I was thinking the same.

It's way too obvious for it to be the Master, and I doubt Moffat would go for the obvious option.

I feel like it would be really, really hard to keep the identity of the 13th Doctor a secret if them filmed scenes with him even if they did it with a minimal crew and few people at the BBC knew about it.

Still if they're able to pull something like that off without it leaking it would be pretty great.

JoeM86

I feel like it would be really, really hard to keep the identity of the 13th Doctor a secret if them filmed scenes with him even if they did it with a minimal crew and few people at the BBC knew about it.

Still if they're able to pull something like that off without it leaking it would be pretty great.

I would love for there to be a regeneration and for us to not know about the results. Hell, I'd have loved for this season there to be the regeneration and we not have known about it at all.

Hell, even the inevitable John Simm reveal would have been so hype if they hadn't put it in that trailer.

hamchan

Pretty annoyed they spoiled the John Simm Master. Just imagine how hype it would have been if the vault opened and John Simm came walking out and we didn't know he was going to come back.

Shy Fingers

Banned
4 episodes in and all have been great.

Kinda makes me sad Capaldi was held back by having Clara around the whole time. It feels more like his attributes were more alluded to rather than explicitly stated.

liquidtmd

Banned
I know it's not... but imagine the outrage if Clara walked out of that vault :D

Haha holy shit. The meltdowns...

* KNOCK KNOCK KNOCK KNOCK

Capaldi: "No. The vault...it's opening. In there is something that never again be unleashed into Time. It was banished. Sealed away. The world could not bear to hear it's sound again"

* Door opens

Jenna-Coleman1.gif

hank_tree

They didn't do a great job keeping it secret, in fairness. It seems pretty certain that it's
Kris Marshall

Ozium

Well he said all the chinese food was for "me".

I'd place a cheeky bet on the Thirteenth Doctor being the one in the Vault, myself.

The_Valeyard.jpg

tomtom94

Yep, another really good episode - I think the hiatus allowed them to lock in the scripts and make sure they were tight before they started filming. Really good scares with an underplayed element of satire.

The only issue I have is that (similar to the problem some people have with Get Out) the early scary moments for the Landlord don't make sense in light of the reveal - specifically him appearing in sealed rooms and not knowing who the Prime Minister is, which are clearly meant to imply he's alien. I suppose you could argue it's deliberate, though.

(Speaking of the Prime Minister, I see the Doctor mentioned Harriet Jones but I couldn't hear if he mentioned Harold Saxon...)

So I just read the Doctor Who Magazine and holy hell, the next five episodes sounds awesome.

Oxygen sounds amazing and it's clear that some serious shit is about to go down

Plus the three part 'Monk Triology' sounds cool. Great way to deal with a mid series lull

hamchan

Let's get one thing straight- the Valeyard will NEVER appear in Doctor Who again. He's a bad character with a nonsensical, tossed-off role.

Besides, he's clearly the second Tennant Doctor.

I mean, if anyone is daring enough to take a shot at the Valeyard it's Moffat.

Top Bottom