• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Doctor Who Series 10 |OT| He's Back, and It's About Time

What an amazing episode.
had to watch the 3 last episodes in a row and the last one got out with a bang!

Nardole is really being awesome as more episodes pass.

Also, reading the new aliens=mondasian cybermen is actually pretty fun and makes a lot of sense. Dont think its going to be the surprise, but if it is, i will not even be mad to know it before the reveal becuase its quite fun and well thought.

They should totally have gone for a Rick & Morty tie-in and have the aliens be these guys.

MV5BMTQ2MTMwMTU2MV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwOTY3ODM0MjE@._V1_.jpg

Boem

They should totally have gone for a Rick & Morty tie-in and have the aliens be these guys.

MV5BMTQ2MTMwMTU2MV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwOTY3ODM0MjE@._V1_.jpg

I'm happy I wasn't the only one who made that connection.

Rick & Morty could totally do an episode where Rick jumps into a live action dimension, where he's played by Capaldi.

I'm not sure the BBC would be happy about it though.

Diablos54

Badass Nardole was, well, pretty badass! Loving this season, really sad it's Capaldi's last, especially since it seems like it could very well be his best, still excited to see who's next though! Same goes for Moffatt, but I'm a lot more apprehensive about what's coming in that aspect...

That was a great episode. Loved all the Vatican stuff, I kept expecting Tom Hanks to run in. The overall menacing tone was great, and I jokingly said to my mate next to me "this is going to be one of those Voyager episodes where none of them are real" and then Nardole references Star Trek... brilliant.

Well, yeah. I wouldn't either. That's basically my point, she did her time on the show, moved on to more rewarding things and sees no particular affection for her contribution that would validate a return.

I have no idea what she's like elsewhere, and obviously she seems like a nice enough person, but I really, really didn't like her time on Who. Part of that falls on RTD, who defined her character as "not Rose" and gave her nothing exciting to work with. But part of it is just her lack of charisma.

Bill is night and day, and someone I would definitely be upset to see never return, given that she's killing it right now.

Martha was great! Super competent. And while she was annoyingly doe-eyed towards the Doctor, at least RTD gave the character enough agency to leave.

random thought: it would be kind of funny if Bill only existed within the simulation and the next episodes are 'Bill who?' with a certain outcome.

Also, on Missy:
I'm going to wager she's actually regeneration in reverse now, with Simms being her regen as to basically leave the show with an 'unsoiled' Master when it changes showrunners. Would also mean we could get one more round of Derek Jacobi as the character, because we only got a hint of what his version of that role would be. I'd kinda like to see what he would do with a bit more than that.

tomtom94

I've just updated the OT. Just so people know, I am going to be super busy with work this week so I won't be looking out for preview clips to post and I don't know when I'll actually get to watch Pyramid.

I liked Martha. Restrospectively, I like how they actually made it her choice to leave the TARDIS. Out of all of the companions in the new series, she's still the only character who made a choice to leave rather than written out in some bullshit way that wasn't death but some convoluted reason why the Doctor could never see them again.

I mean, kill Rose, Donna, Amy, Rory and Clara if you want to write them out in a final way or just let the characters go and do something else. I think 'fed up' with the danger is good motive for leaving behind the Doctor.

I think the thing about Martha is people forget her whole thing was designed to

1) Bridge Rose
2) Build a roving companion for the RTD Who Universe

Like, it would've felt wrong to just jump from Rose to somebody/something new given the intensity of that relationship, so you need to do something to bridge it. Moffat bridged Amy off-screen, but we still have in the canon months - years - of the Doctor moping in Victorian London with Vastra and crew looking after him. (It's funny to think how out of character this is, him staying in one place for ages, especially this year where the vault plot is built on how he doesn't want to do that, but the Amy grief is such that he does.)

So the mentions of Rose and the Doctor being unintentionally awful to Martha don't weaken or cheapen her, I think, because she grows around that and through that, and has a lot of agency throughout the series. It culminates, really, in The Sound of Drums where the Doctor tells Martha to do something and she just snaps back-- "I'll do what I like!!" which is something that, ultimately, most of the other companions would do. They'd either do it silently and face the music afterwards (Amy, Rose, Clara all have instances of this) or not at all. I think by the point she was ready to shout at the Doctor like that she'd already decided to leave the TARDIS, deep down.

But then she leaves, and the whole point is - again, people forget - she walks out of Doctor Who and straight into half of Torchwood series 2, and the thing about her there is that she becomes the Doctor-like character who is respected as an authority versus the rest of the cast. Then she's back in Doctor Who S4, and then she was meant to be in Sarah Jane Adventures but was replaced by the Brig because at that point Freema's career was taking off and she was getting offers from US TV shows. The interesting thing about the way she's been built, too, is she's absolutely primed to come back in a long time as a Kate Stewart style figure, as is Mickey - and that's cool stuff.

But anyway... the point is, the idea that Martha really got the short end of the stick I don't get. She's a well-developed character with a storyline that makes sense. The only two things that fall flat are due to RTD reaching too far - her family was too big so they just had to unceremoniously write the brother & his girlfriend/baby out, and then they spent all of her Series 4/Torchwood appearances building up her off-screen boyfriend before deciding for neatness it'd be better if she ended up with Mickey. Those two things are messy, but other than that she's brilliant. I'd put her above Clara - but truth be told we've not had a bad companion yet.

Sheroking

I liked Martha. Restrospectively, I like how they actually made it her choice to leave the TARDIS. Out of all of the companions in the new series, she's still the only character who made a choice to leave rather than written out in some bullshit way that wasn't death but some convoluted reason why the Doctor could never see them again.

I mean, kill Rose, Donna, Amy, Rory and Clara if you want to write them out in a final way or just let the characters go and do something else. I think 'fed up' with the danger is good motive for leaving behind the Doctor.

I don't agree.

I think part of what NuWho has done better than classic Who is establish and earn these deeper bonds between The Doctor and his companions. Even Sarah Jane Smith, for all her popularity, was treated with nowhere near the seriousness or gravitas in classic Who as she was in NuWho.

For that reason, them simply leaving him and the TARDIS because they're fed up with danger doesn't quite work, since we spent literal years watching them fall in love with him - in different ways - and his life of danger. They would all rather die than leave. Hell, Amy, Rory and Clara all technically did die.

Contriving ways for them to leave without it being as cold and cynical as straight up killing them is part and parcel of it being aggressively optimistic family TV. Bittersweet, never bitter.

I mean, the only thing that has been bugging me about this episode is that why did everyone just kill themselves? Why didn't they tell everyone on Earth through some sort of mass media style broadcast and then kill themselves.

I didn't understand the secrecy.

Razmos

I mean, the only thing that has been bugging me about this episode is that why did everyone just kill themselves? Why didn't they tell everyone on Earth through some sort of mass media style broadcast and then kill themselves.

Because it would have caused widespread chaos and fear. People would be killing themselves and each other, the basis of religion, of society, of self would all be shook to the core.

They killed themselves because the secret was too horrible to comprehend, inflicting that on the entire world would be downright evil

Bluth54

If it got out to the entire world that they were just in a simulation the aliens probably would have just restarted the simulation.

Boem

Just in case anyone's worried about Doctor Who's future, the BBC is selling options up to series 15.

I figured that, even if the quality and viewership drops with a new showrunner/Doctor (a risk every single time), they'd sooner lower the budget rather than cancel it.

They already lost Top Gear (well, the 'real' Top Gear) and Bake Off. Sherlock might be finished, or at least gone for the forseeable future. Pretty much all the attempts at Who-like adventure series have fizzled out (and none of them worked, at least the little I've seen of them). They need to hold on to the few big names they have left.

Saturday's episode has been slightly edited following the Manchester attack.

This week’s episode of BBC sci-fi series Doctor Who will have a section of dialogue removed as a mark of respect to victims of Monday night's terrorist attack in Manchester, RadioTimes.com understands.

The excerpt in question from upcoming story The Pyramid at the End of the World made passing references to terrorism as part of a more general discussion of threats to Earth, but the BBC has decided that as a matter of sensitivity it should be removed.

kyo2004

From what I've heard they're planning a full show redesign/soft-reboot similar to Matt Smith/Moffat's start. So new logos, intros, tardis...etc. I think the show needs it, a big new push, new doctor, new stories.

I've been enjoying this series though, damn good stories being told.

Nooooo, this version of the TARDIS is the best... :(...

From what I've heard they're planning a full show redesign/soft-reboot similar to Matt Smith/Moffat's start. So new logos, intros, tardis...etc. I think the show needs it, a big new push, new doctor, new stories.

I've been enjoying this series though, damn good stories being told.

I'm really hoping one of the features coming back with the Chibnall Era is the TARDIS itself travelling in the vortex.
For some reason, Moffatts Era has never hard this, or if it has, its been once in a blue moon.

I'm really hoping one of the features coming back with the Chibnall Era is the TARDIS itself travelling in the vortex.
For some reason, Moffatts Era has never hard this, or if it has, its been once in a blue moon.
Used to be a regular thing during season 5 but it matched the intro vortex. I guess because of the intro to 8 they don't want to make the vortex look like a giant clock or some hamfisted Tim Burton thing

Used to be a regular thing during season 5 but it matched the intro vortex. I guess because of the intro to 8 they don't want to make the vortex look like a giant clock or some hamfisted Tim Burton thing

Did it?
I swear it was only seen in the intro and credits, and never in the show itself bar once or twice?

I know the RTD Era used it a lot, which was nice.

Never mind this stuff except for that it never gets put back in when it's time for the home video releases...

agreed. that stuff cut from Robots of Sherwood (whatever the merits or otherwise of that episode) did change the episode in a meaningful way
oh he's a robot,
too, that makes much more sense, why did they keep that cut?

iFirez

Nooooo, this version of the TARDIS is the best... :(...

I can't talk a huge amount about what I've heard, just that a director I've worked with a few times who also works with Chris Chibnall a lot has passed a few interesting tidbits onto me. Such as the fact that at his last meeting they still hadn't decided on who the next doctor was -- which surprised me greatly because I thought they had already filmed the regeneration scene but maybe it only starts this series and then ends at christmas? I'm sure we'll hear about casting soon. I've also heard they're building a new Tardis set and have graphic designers and animators already working on new logo and intro designs. Expect a younger, fresher aesthetic to the show that embraces the new and the modern -- I feel like this could annoy some fans of the Capaldi era a lot.

I'm not surprised by lack of choosing the next Doctor - when the ink's on the contract, I think we'll know in days. It can't be kept secret so they do the big announcements.

Good to hear they're taking it as a revamp though. I'm happy with a lot of things for now but it doesn't meant they can't learn from those and the show refreshing is part of the charm.

Series 5's promo vortex was the best vortex the show ever had.

Did it?
I swear it was only seen in the intro and credits, and never in the show itself bar once or twice?

I know the RTD Era used it a lot, which was nice.

The only time I actually remember it being in the show itself was when they flew the dome through it in The Doctor, The Widow and The Wardrobe.

The problem was that the title sequence was done by Framestore, while most of Doctor Who's regular CGI was still being done by The Mill, who weren't keen on using another company's work.

It's only May. The next Doctor only needs to film like one 2-minute scene this year, assuming the next series is going to be late 2018.
Ed Russell said on Twitter that series 11 filming will be well underway by Christmas.

If the rumour about a reduced episode count is on the money, they could start filming in September or October and be ready for an Easter start.

Ed Russell said on Twitter that series 11 filming will be well underway by Christmas.

If the rumour about a reduced episode count is on the money, they could start filming in September or October and be ready for an Easter start.

Oh good! Cool!

Reduced episode count though? Going from 13 to 12 was bad enough...

iFirez

Again, it's all rumour and people in the know, but there was fairly reliable rumour going round a while back that Chibnall was going for 10 episodes, possibly at an hour long each.

I've heard similar things too. Its a much more common format - the 10 episode season - these days anyway. I imagine we'll know who the next Doctor is by September and they'll likely squeeze the regen scene in at the end of the Christmas special with an after episodes reveal on when the next series would be starting.

Again, it's all rumour and people in the know, but there was fairly reliable rumour going round a while back that Chibnall was going for 10 episodes, possibly at an hour long each.

I'd be amazed to see them go to an hour as it actually makes overseas sales more difficult, as with ad slots a 45 minute show is an hour. This is also why Sherlock is 90 minutes; it was conceived as 60, then 75, but neither of those fit as well for international as 45 or 90. International sales potential actively influenced the structure of these shows - RTD chose the format because it'd be easier to sell.

Blader

I think I'm more bothered by a possible 60-minute runtime than a reduction to 10 episodes. Rarely do I finish a Doctor Who ep and think, "that was good, but it really needed another 15-20 mins." More often than not, the longer Who eps feel too long to me.

I really liked the Ice Warrior's big bulky tank-like appearance and square emotionless eyes. It seems cliche to make the female smaller and rounder. It would have been fun if they made the females of the martian species the bigger ones, as sometimes happens in nature.

Totally cool to see the original Cybermen, just for the novelty of it. I'm not the biggest fan of their most recent Ironman appearance.

Penis Monster and Gimp Mask

I love Doctor Who.

Oh god....I see it now.

I love the gloves on the Mondasian Cybermen. Uncanny valley of hands.

I really like that they seem to be going the surgical body horror route with them.
Particularly with the shots of the half-converted ones walking around with drips.

ghstwrld

Here's an interesting little note -- it seems Freema (Martha) turned Big Finish down for 10th Doctor audio stories - on the latest Big Finish podcast they say they've asked her but she's not interested in returning to Doctor Who right now:
https://www.bigfinish.com/podcasts/v/2017-05-22-tenth-doctor-and-rose

Wonder why that is, hmm. Freema has arguably had the second-most post-Who success out of the companions after Karen Gillan becoming part of Marvel and all that what with the main cast roles in Sense8 and that Sex and the City prequel, but I'm still surprised she said no, hmm. When she was actually on the show she was one of the most deeply embedded/involved - read a load of audio books, did Torchwood, etc.

here for more Martha tbh
hhfMpEz.jpg

Ephidel

So we're all going to die because one scientist is tired and hungover and the other one's neighbour broke her reading glasses.

Sure, why not. Somehow a disastrous scientific accident sounds almost optimistic compared to politics and/or war.

Top Bottom