• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Doctor Who Series 10 |OT| He's Back, and It's About Time

Ceej

Sorry if this has been answered already, but...

The Doctor Falls. He gets cyberhugged by Bill which seems to do some damage, indicated by a glimpse of regeneration energy on his hand. He shakes it away, holds it in. Then he's blown up, hauled back to the TARDIS, a tear from Bill, and his regeneration surges forth again.

If he'd started to regenerate before, wouldn't being blown up mid-regeneration (or between regenerations) actually kill him?

Or did he somehow use just enough energy to heal himself of CyberBill's damage before undergoing a full regeneration due to the explosion?

Don't forget he was shot too :p Dude had a rough ep.

Anyway, I think he's meant to be dead-dead before the tear, and the tear is what kind of reboots his regen ability or something. That's why he was talking to himself before he blows the floor... he knows he's not going to survive it and doesn't want to.

Davide

What a finale and even followed up well to its first part. One of Moffat's best finales in his worst series. Compelling, emotional, maybe even consequential. Really looked like
the Master was dead without regeneration even if it's likely not going to last forever.
It really made you not want to Capaldi to go.

I'm sure the plot falls apart thinking more about it though, there were already several questionable elements for me like the evolved Cybermen suddenly appearing. Bill's fate was the best we could expect from Moffat I guess.

It's a series I unusually may never rewatch but will skip to the finale for.

I don't know if people can still complain about Clara being so OP now in comparison to Bill.

So apparently
a former companion
is returning for the Christmas Special.... it's
.......Clara.......
Best news.
I'm assuming he'll regain his memory of her

Jenna's back for Christmas! Is it a spoiler when it's announced as part of the PR for the episode? Of course not. If you didn't want spoilers about Doctor Who, you wouldn't click on a Doctor Who discussion thread, would you.? I'm confused

Back to soundtrack talk.
While I like Murray Gold's stuff, I'm about ready for a new musical composer. His work just hasn't had the same impact on me since Capaldi took over. That and the Capaldi version of theme tune is so awful.

I'd love to see Murray take on big action films at some point since his orchestral stuff has so much life to it. A Star Wars film would be ideal

And if you think about it, by now he's probably scored more hours of Doctor Who than Dudley Simpson. While Simpson worked on the show for a bit over 15 years, he didn't score every story in that time

Symphonia

Banned
Am I crazy in thinking that The Pilot could, in fact, be a future incarnation of the Doctor, if not the next incarnation? He doesn't know her (which is understandable, as she's from the future) and they share a lot of similar traits. Endless, benevolent explorer, symbiotic relationship with her sentient, invisible 'ship', needs company/humanity. She even knew how to fly the TARDIS. It would tie in nicely in to the rumoured
past/present/future
plot of the Christmas special, along with the First Doctor and Twelth Doctor.

tomtom94

Is it a spoiler when it's announced as part of the PR for the episode? Of course not. If you didn't want spoilers about Doctor Who, you wouldn't click on a Doctor Who discussion thread, would you.? I'm confused

Thread policy is anything announced by the BBC is fair game, unofficial leaks go in spoiler tags.

In this case, that spoiler is still a spoiler because it hasn't been announced by the BBC yet as far as I can tell.

thefil

Finally got around to watching An Adventure in Space and Time. Great production. I know some disagree, but I think David Bradley does a great version of the character. It's not as spot on as I thought it was at first glance, but it captures the essence of the thing.

I wonder how much credit I should give to this dramatization, though. It does seem to make everything rather neat with an emotional bow on top.

Broken Joystick

At least you can talk. Who are you?
UefdHVu.gif

masterhighfivebbjdz.gif

Davide

Finally got around to watching An Adventure in Space and Time. Great production. I know some disagree, but I think David Bradley does a great version of the character. It's not as spot on as I thought it was at first glance, but it captures the essence of the thing.

I wonder how much credit I should give to this dramatization, though. It does seem to make everything rather neat with an emotional bow on top.
Amazing that it was written by Mark Gatiss. How does the same guy write Sleep No More?

tomtom94

Amazing that it was written by Mark Gatiss. How does the same guy write Sleep No More?
I would say Sleep No More is a pretty good script with the exception of the sleepydust origin which should have been changed. That episode for me failed in the execution.

Fury451

Banned
I'm surprised they are getting rid of Bill after just one season already.

I think multiple series (2-4) companions have been the exception rather than the rule historically, no?

She had some good moments, but overall wasn't much of a fan personally.

I think multiple series (2-4) companions have been the exception rather than the rule historically, no?

She had some good moments, but overall wasn't much of a fan personally.

Rose - 2 seasons + a few later episodes
Martha - 1.5 seasons + some Torchwood
Donna - 1 season + 2 specials
Amy (+Rory) - 2.5 seasons
Clara - 2.5 seasons
Bill - 1 season

Bill would probably be the shortest lasting by episode count, even assuming that she's in the Christmas special.

iFirez

Clara - 2.5 seasons
Bill - 1 season

Bill would probably be the shortest lasting by episode count, even assuming that she's in the Christmas special.

Bill is the ninth doctor of the Moffat era... a character who left too soon after being a highlight of their first season.

Re: Missy. I'm pretty certain she comes right after Simm's master. I'm also pretty certain that if she remembered being pinned against the wall and told to have a spare part for her Tardis, she'd also remember shooting said person in the back a few hours later. Chances are she had some protection against the shot, even if her memories are vague of her Master days.

Still want Joanna Lumley as the Doctor. If the Comic Relief special taught me anything, an older female comedian would make an amazing choice. If she was still with us, I'd like to see Victoria Wood as the Doctor.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I'm surprised they are getting rid of Bill after just one season already.

They clearly left it open - the pilot literally said she could be made human again - just atoms after all

I don't think she will be back but it's up to chibnall

Didn't Mackie say she's spoken to Chibnall? Not that it's confirmation she'll return or anything.

I thought Bill was great. I was sad to see her go.

Goldrush

They clearly left it open - the pilot literally said she could be made human again - just atoms after all

I don't think she will be back but it's up to chibnall

Hated that line. Without it, her "death" would be similar to and just as tragic as River's.

Not gonna lie I would be interested in a Bill/Heather Big Finish series just as much if not more than a Bill/Twelve one.

I'm not sure I would. Then again, I am not sure exactly what the Pilot's limitations and abilities are. Something like a Cyberman or a Dalek doesn't seem like it would be a threat to her.

We're talking higher level stuff as she seems more advanced than the Doctor.

Maybe the Eternals or the Black and White Guardians.

The Pilot offers exactly what the Doctor offers. Travel with me through space and time. It's just the deluxe package without the crotchety old man and the clunky time-space ship.

I don't blame Bill one bit. She was killed under the Doctor's watch.

Fury451

Banned
Clara - 2.5 seasons
Bill - 1 season

I meant more as a whole in the series since it started, but I think Bill is more notable because of how prolific Amy and Clara were in terms of being ingrained into their respective series (or the mythos in Clara's case). Bill feels pretty incidental comparatively.

Sheroking

I meant more as a whole in the series since it started, but I think Bill is more notable because of how prolific Amy and Clara were in terms of being ingrained into their respective series (or the mythos in Clara's case). Bill feels pretty incidental comparatively.

No question in my mind that her footprint in the series is at it's weakest. You could argue for a good portion of the season, The Doctor's relationship with Missy took priority over Bill. The overarching plot of the season was the redemption of Missy. They had a nice, subtle little mentor/mentee relationship - but it was by far the least personal of all the companions, even other one-and-dones like Martha and Donna.

BTW, something for the Clara "fans": Her appearance in the Christmas special will put her at 40 episodes, more than Rose with whom she was tied at 39.

Probably the point that Doctor/Missy was more the focus than Doctor/Bill - the Doctor ends up getting Bill turned into a fucking Cyberman because of his willingness to have her help lead Missy to salvation. That's why it stings so much when she gets converted, and why he's so ready to just finally die rather than regenerate when things like that happen.

tomtom94

It doesn't help that Clara was around for four real-life years, and Moffat was clearly reacting to the reaction to her in how he wrote Bill.

Blader

I just hope Moffat doesn't do the same thing he did during his last regeneration ep, where Eleven has this tender hallucinated goodbye with Amy, while Clara's sitting on the sidelines like, "Uh, who's Amelia? Hello, I'm over here?"

Sheroking

I just hope Moffat doesn't do the same thing he did during his last regeneration ep, where Eleven has this tender hallucinated goodbye with Amy, while Clara's sitting on the sidelines like, "Uh, who's Amelia? Hello, I'm over here?"

Well, unlike Amy, they have the ability to have Clara actually show up.

Probably the point that Doctor/Missy was more the focus than Doctor/Bill - the Doctor ends up getting Bill turned into a fucking Cyberman because of his willingness to have her help lead Missy to salvation. That's why it stings so much when she gets converted, and why he's so ready to just finally die rather than regenerate when things like that happen.

It's one of the things I love most about the finale - the Doctor tries to do one good thing that he knows may go wrong and it all blows up in his face in the worst possible way. His friends all either die or leave him and he's left alone and dying himself.

Looking back, it's one of the nice recurring themes of the Capaldi Doctor - his need to tinker and try to make good coupled with a blind belief that it'll all work out. It's kind of grim to think that Clara, Bill and Missy all died because the Doctor couldn't leave well enough alone.

The Doctor equivalent of calling your ex's name out during sex

tomtom94

Final minute of last night's Newsnight showed a clip of
Phoebe Waller-Bridge
avoiding the subject of whether they'll be playing 13 in a Youtube interview. More details here:

Spoiler in URL

Highly unlikely to mean anything of course...

Final minute of last night's Newsnight showed a clip of
Phoebe Waller-Bridge
avoiding the subject of whether they'll be playing 13 in a Youtube interview. More details here:

Spoiler in URL

Highly unlikely to mean anything of course...

And, look, the only other name being bandied around is Kris Marshall, and he’s such a lazy choice that he’d be in danger of killing the series dead.

You know, I kind of agree. I haven't been excited about Kris Marshall at all. It's not even a white male thing. He just seems like a bland choice. I could be wrong and he could be great.

There have been rumours about Phoebe Waller-Bridge before. I'd be up for it.

wetflame

Pizza Dog
You know, I kind of agree. I haven't been excited about Kris Marshall at all. It's not even a white male thing. He just seems like a bland choice. I could be wrong and he could be great.

There have been rumours about
Phoebe Waller-Bridge
before. I'd be up for it.

Not to single you out, but there's no point in having spoiler tags if people are going to openly discuss the contents of the spoilers. This is all just speculation and not actual spoilers so it's no big deal, but the moment something leaks I know there's going to be people commenting about the content of those leaks without using tags. It's a shame because it makes it that much harder to avoid and have a proper reveal. I could just avoid the thread but I like reading along with the non-spoilery discussion.

Not to single you out, but there's no point in having spoiler tags if people are going to openly discuss the contents of the spoilers. This is all just speculation and not actual spoilers so it's no big deal, but the moment something leaks I know there's going to be people commenting about the content of those leaks without using tags. It's a shame because it makes it that much harder to avoid and have a proper reveal. I could just avoid the thread but I like reading along with the non-spoilery discussion.

It's not a spoiler. At all.

It's bloody speculation based on a maybe from a Newsnight segment.

This is hilarious.

BBC will announce the new Doctor before you ever see the regeneration and the news will be everywhere.

Come on. We've been through this a billion times.

wetflame

Pizza Dog
It's not a spoiler. At all.

It's bloody speculation based on a maybe from a Newsnight segment.

This is hilarious.

BBC will announce the new Doctor before you ever see the regeneration and the news will be everywhere.

Come on. We've been through this a billion times.

I said in my post that the discussion in that specific example wasn't a spoiler, and that it was speculation. It just made me think of how John Simm's return and
Clara coming back for the Christmas special
have been openly discussed outside of spoiler tags, and the closer we get to an announcement the more likely that sort of thing is to happen. But I get it. I mean, it's not like we can sit here and not talk about that stuff, and it's never clear where speculation becomes an actual spoiler, I guess it's just one of those things that happens.

Blader

There have been rumours about Phoebe Waller-Bridge before. I'd be up for it.

Hasn't she denied them before, though?

Top Bottom