• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Doctor Who Series 10 |OT| He's Back, and It's About Time

It's not about when they announce, but how long between the actor currently in the role announces their departure, versus when the new person is shown. And the gap for Capaldi now is rather long, compared to his contemporaries.

But, googling around, it looks like that wasn't the plan. From a pre-series interview:

“In this world where you can’t keep secrets, where it is absolutely impossible to keep secrets, there was no point in trying,” Moffatt told SFX magazine.

“I’d far rather nobody knew until the regeneration. That would be so exciting. But we just can’t do it.

“My idea would have been to announce it halfway through the broadcast of the series and get a ratings spike as a result of everyone talking about Doctor Who, just at the time when it’s difficult to get people talking about Doctor Who."

So, that sounds to me like Moffat wanted to announce mid-season, which makes the fake-out regeneration in The Lie of the Land make a shitload more sense.

Ganhyun

No question in my mind that her footprint in the series is at it's weakest. You could argue for a good portion of the season, The Doctor's relationship with Missy took priority over Bill. The overarching plot of the season was the redemption of Missy. They had a nice, subtle little mentor/mentee relationship - but it was by far the least personal of all the companions, even other one-and-dones like Martha and Donna.

BTW, something for the Clara "fans": Her appearance in the Christmas special will put her at 40 episodes, more than Rose with whom she was tied at 39.

Ugh.. time to get Rose Tyler back for a few random episodes. Maybe the new Doctor visits her and her human version of 10 for some reason.

Also, random thought in my head for the next Doctor. If its possibly going to be a female Doctor, why not regenerate into Donna? Gives another meaning to Doctor Donna as well.

LordRaptor

You know, I kind of agree. I haven't been excited about Kris Marshall at all. It's not even a white male thing. He just seems like a bland choice. I could be wrong and he could be great.

I agree, hes not been particularly charismatic in anything I've seen him in (My Family and those BT ads they tried to turn into Gold Blend ads 2.0) and I think anyone playing the Doctor needs some sort of you know, presence.

I stand by my theory that The Pilot is the Doctor.

I don't think its anything to do with the Doctor and shouldn't be anything to do with the Doctor.
One of the shows running themes is that the universe is a big, fantastical and weird thing, and full of fantastical and weird things that are worth seeing.

Platy

Twelve's final episode being about accepting change would be a perfect lead in to the first female Doctor.

Specially after all the stabs in the double part finale ... "why do call yourselves the time lords", "in the future is all women?" and all that

So, I learned of the Christmas special today, and dammit it has me hooked. However I lapsed on Doctor Who just before Kill the Moon, which I heard was a... divisive episode.

So, any advice for someone wanting to catch up?

Blader

So, I learned of the Christmas special today, and dammit it has me hooked. However I lapsed on Doctor Who just before Kill the Moon, which I heard was a... divisive episode.

S8 and 9 (and their Christmas specials) are streaming on Prime now.

DrEvil

not a medical professional
Also, random thought in my head for the next Doctor. If its possibly going to be a female Doctor, why not regenerate into Donna? Gives another meaning to Doctor Donna as well.

I think the idea of a clean start is to make the ratings go up... not down.

Donna And Bill are the worst two companions of nuWho.

Everyone is entitled to their incorrect opinions. If there's one thing I've learned about Who fandom, it's that for every possible opinion, there is someone that holds it vigorously.

Ganhyun

Donna was my least favorite companion until Bill, but when she was playing up having TimeLord intelligence I didn't dislike her, which is why I suggested it.

If we're honest, I'd rather Tennant come back and have another go.

M.Bluth

Kill the Moon is pretty terrible imo, but you stopped right before some amazing episodes, so keep going!

Judderman

drawer by drawer
After 2 years, I'm finally at the point where I'm waiting for new episodes (Still need to see the last Christmas special). Never thought I'd make it. The Simms reveal made me jump off my couch, last thing I remember making me do that was when they did the Face of Boe/Harkness reveal/tease. Love this show.

The hell you say.

Ceej

Not sure how I feel about it. At first with the thought of a female doctor I was hesitant, but after all the rumors about another "young hot guy" Doctor

I'm just like ...can we get a woman?

I mean Chibnall said he wanted to take the show in a bold new direction... nothing says "bold, new direction" like a young hot male Doctor :/ Maybe I just don't like the idea of any of the current frontrunners. Hoping to be surprised.

Santiako

I heard a rumor that Chibnall is using his cyberwoman as the next companion

f9lUblG.jpg

Blader

I plan on doing a rewatch of the Capaldi era sometime this fall, as I've never seen any of his episodes more than once, and I think I will need more time to really digest S10 and think about where those episodes sit with me. But right now I'm feeling these are my favorites and least favorites of the Twelfth Doctor:

The Best:

Listen
*A clever, compelling subversion of Moffat's own best and worst quirks. Clara grabbing the Doctor's leg from under the bed is one of my biggest spine-chill moments in all of Doctor Who.

Heaven Sent
*Capaldi's one-man show where he gives perhaps his best overall performance as the Doctor. A hell of a bird!

Mummy on the Orient Express
*A no-frills formula adventure story that is superbly executed on all fronts. I wish Jamie Mathieson had been given the reins, but then we'd all just hate him in two years and look back at this as the beginning of the end, and that's no fun.

Dark Water
*One of the darkest, heaviest episodes of Who that I can remember. Exceptionally well-directed with a killer ending.

The Magician's Apprentice/The Witch's Familiar
*A very cool dive into Who mythology that, like Listen, I'm sure rankled many of the classic diehards, but was just really interesting to me. A more fascinating version of Davros than the one I remember from Journey's End, with some really intriguing character dynamics at play (Doctor/Davros, Clara/Missy).

The Worst:

The Zygon Invasion
*Fuck Kate Stewart, fuck UNIT, fuck Zygons. The best thing Chibnall can do for S11 and beyond is never revisit any of these characters again.

In the Forest of the Night
*Basically nonsense. Unlike most people, I actually like Clara's dark suggestion in ultimately "solving" the dilemma -- not because I agree with the actual decision, but like the implication of how a darker Doctor had rubbed off at that point. But the ending is really just nonsense.

Sleep No More
*Fucking dull. I don't remember anything overtly horrible about this because it very nearly put to sleep, more than once, within its 40ish minute runtime.

The Girl Who Died/The Woman Who Lived
*I just thought this was a lame two-parter and, iirc, poorly made. Me is an interesting idea for a character but it didn't come off well in the execution for me. There are worse episodes (e.g. The Eaters of Light, Empress of Mars, Time Heist, Kill the Moon) but this story ends up being so integral to other things (namely, the finale and Clara's fate) that the lameness of what would've otherwise been an inoffensively forgettable two-parter feels more pronounced.

Death in Heaven
*I don't think this one is actually bad, but it is probably the single most disappointing episode of Capaldi's run for me. Again, there are worse eps than this one, but the huge drop off from Dark Water here make this one sting more.

What's really tripping me out is how vividly I recall doing this same "rewatch before Christmas regeneration" marathon just before Smith left, and that was four years ago! Maybe time is just going faster because I'm getting older, but it really does feel like Capaldi barely just got here, even if he did the same four-year stint that Tennant and Smith more or less had.

Sheroking

I plan on doing a rewatch of the Capaldi era sometime this fall, as I've never seen any of his episodes more than once, and I think I will need more time to really digest S10 and think about where those episodes sit with me. But right now I'm feeling these are my favorites and least favorites of the Twelfth Doctor:

The Best:

Listen
*A clever, compelling subversion of Moffat's own best and worst quirks. Clara grabbing the Doctor's leg from under the bed is one of my biggest spine-chill moments in all of Doctor Who.

Heaven Sent
*Capaldi's one-man show where he gives perhaps his best overall performance as the Doctor. A hell of a bird!

Mummy on the Orient Express
*A no-frills formula adventure story that is superbly executed on all fronts. I wish Jamie Mathieson had been given the reins, but then we'd all just hate him in two years and look back at this as the beginning of the end, and that's no fun.

Dark Water
*One of the darkest, heaviest episodes of Who that I can remember. Exceptionally well-directed with a killer ending.

The Magician's Apprentice/The Witch's Familiar
*A very cool dive into Who mythology that, like Listen, I'm sure rankled many of the classic diehards, but was just really interesting to me. A more fascinating version of Davros than the one I remember from Journey's End, with some really intriguing character dynamics at play (Doctor/Davros, Clara/Missy).

The Worst:

The Zygon Invasion
*Fuck Kate Stewart, fuck UNIT, fuck Zygons. The best thing Chibnall can do for S11 and beyond is never revisit any of these characters again.

In the Forest of the Night
*Basically nonsense. Unlike most people, I actually like Clara's dark suggestion in ultimately "solving" the dilemma -- not because I agree with the actual decision, but like the implication of how a darker Doctor had rubbed off at that point. But the ending is really just nonsense.

Sleep No More
*Fucking dull. I don't remember anything overtly horrible about this because it very nearly put to sleep, more than once, within its 40ish minute runtime.

The Girl Who Died/The Woman Who Lived
*I just thought this was a lame two-parter and, iirc, poorly made. Me is an interesting idea for a character but it didn't come off well in the execution for me. There are worse episodes (e.g. The Eaters of Light, Empress of Mars, Time Heist, Kill the Moon) but this story ends up being so integral to other things (namely, the finale and Clara's fate) that the lameness of what would've otherwise been an inoffensively forgettable two-parter feels more pronounced.

Death in Heaven
*I don't think this one is actually bad, but it is probably the single most disappointing episode of Capaldi's run for me. Again, there are worse eps than this one, but the huge drop off from Dark Water here make this one sting more.

What's really tripping me out is how vividly I recall doing this same "rewatch before Christmas regeneration" marathon just before Smith left, and that was four years ago! Maybe time is just going faster because I'm getting older, but it really does feel like Capaldi barely just got here, even if he did the same four-year stint that Tennant and Smith more or less had.

My thoughts are pretty in-line with yours.

"Listen" and "Heaven Sent" in particular will go down in my mind with episodes like "Blink" as some of the definitive NuWho episodes.

Why has it taken me this long to discover the Doctor Who thread. Damn.

Anywhoo, absolutely loved the finale on Saturday, I can still feel the tingles. As for the next doctor, I am hammering on that it's gonna be Matt Smith back. It makes sense, if they are going down the "degeneration" path. It also makes sense in regards to the 50th anniversary episode where all the current doctors came together to save Gallifrey (I don't know how they are going to write themselves out if that one with more doctors), and I'm sorry, but this whole regeneration thing has not been handled as far as I'm concerned. "A whole new regeneration cycle"? I never bought that when Smith was sent that down from the crack in the time vortex.
Smith wants to return and has been public about that, plus it could explain that there was more behind.... Well I will avoid the Adventure in Space and Time spoiler in case people haven't seen it. Add to that, the media haven't picked up on any sightings, meetings, audition processes etc. Smith wouldn't need to audition so that for me also checks out.

Either way it's exciting!

Ganhyun

Why has it taken me this long to discover the Doctor Who thread. Damn.

Anywhoo, absolutely loved the finale on Saturday, I can still feel the tingles. As for the next doctor, I am hammering on that it's gonna be Matt Smith back. It makes sense, if they are going down the "degeneration" path. It also makes sense in regards to the 50th anniversary episode where all the current doctors came together to save Gallifrey (I don't know how they are going to write themselves out if that one with more doctors), and I'm sorry, but this whole regeneration thing has not been handled as far as I'm concerned. "A whole new regeneration cycle"? I never bought that when Smith was sent that down from the crack in the time vortex.
Smith wants to return and has been public about that, plus it could explain that there was more behind.... Well I will avoid the Adventure in Space and Time spoiler in case people haven't seen it. Add to that, the media haven't picked up on any sightings, meetings, audition processes etc. Smith wouldn't need to audition so that for me also checks out.

Either way it's exciting!

Id rather get Tennant back, but Smith would be good too. But what we all really need is more Eccleston.

Well that would be the logic, from a story standpoint alone. With new who doctors, work back to Eccleston (who basically left because of Russel T.) Then, as David Bradley is proving, I honestly don't mind current actors who look/sound like the original old doctors reprising their roles.

Like on the topic of Kris Marshall, I can see a bit of Patrick Troughton in him. He would fit a modern day cosmic hobo style doctor. Whatever actors reinact the original doctors, just add little hints as to who they are. Like give Marshall a recorder and same fashion sense. We have already seen that to some extent with Oswin and stuff. I think it would work very well. I understand the debate that "degenerations" would result in the franchise going backwards and not forwards, but new stories with old doctors has a lot of leverage, and fun for the writers to explore.

I just find it very hard going outside of the age old lore of 12 regenerations to make it canon with storylines we have seen, most namely the 50th anniversary episode. Unless they draw a line under it all and come up with a new regeneration rule, and that the doctors during this regeneration cycle cannot cross paths with the doctors of the old regeneration cycle or something.

Bluth54

The BBC needs to hurry up and announce who's playing the next Doctor. How much longer can they go without the announcement?

Blader

Who said anything about degenerations?

The show works because of regenerations. Always recasting the Doctor every few years keeps things fresh and moving forward. If the show needs to slide backwards into reusing old popular actors to stay afloat, then something has gone wrong. Smith and Tennant are busy with their own stuff anyway.

I don't get the hate the Empress of Mars and The Eaters of Light.

Empress of Mars leans more toward bad-cheesy Gatiss than fun-cheesy Gatiss for me. Eaters of Light didn't really do anything for me. I don't hate either, though. They're just below average to me.

My thoughts are pretty in-line with yours.

"Listen" and "Heaven Sent" in particular will go down in my mind with episodes like "Blink" as some of the definitive NuWho episodes.

Yeah I agree, Listen especially.

Having just rewatched most of 9's series, I'd be good with Ecclston.

I loved Tennant, but I don't want him back. My favorite NuWho Doctor, but I feel like we've moved on.

Smith is by a wide margin my least favorite nuWho Doctor, so no thanks to that. Bring him back as the Master maybe, would suit him better. It would also be a huge instance of the Master fucking with the Doctor, I could get behind that.

The BBC needs to hurry up and announce who's playing the next Doctor. How much longer can they go without the announcement?

Is it not possible to just not have it revealed until it happens in the episode? As much as I'd love it to, I understand that it won't happen.

But on the subject of Chibnall, I'm not sure if I read it somewhere, bit isn't he an absolute stickler for spoilers? They just don't happen with him? Plus, that was one of the major reasons he was on the fence about the job, until he was given assurances that there would be no spoilers whatsoever for the show?

until its about to leak or any time up to Dec 24, 2017.

They probably want to leave a few weeks of Season 10 before starting up that hype machine. I mean, they have 5 1/2 months to play with.

Who said anything about degenerations?

The show works because of regenerations. Always recasting the Doctor every few years keeps things fresh and moving forward. If the show needs to slide backwards into reusing old popular actors to stay afloat, then something has gone wrong. Smith and Tennant are busy with their own stuff anyway.

I said it, based on a theory that's been kicking about for quite a while.

HigXx

The Regeneration limit issue was sorted in Time of the Doctor. Degeneration would be the worst thing to happen, Doctor Who should keep moving forward as it has for 54 years

How so? With a throwaway regeneration cycle given, and no explanation as to why? If fans are happy with that, fair enough. I just think that's piss poor writing. As you say, 54 years of a rule and storyline effectively wiped out with one line which basically says, "meh forget about that. Here's a new rule". It deserves a little more respect than that.

Blader

I said it, based on a theory that's been kicking about for quite a while.

lol, I know you said it, what I'm asking is where did that come from? There are theories about anything and everything kicking around somewhere online, doesn't mean there's a remote chance of it even happening. "Degenerating" into past Doctors for anything other than cameos or maybe a multi-Doctor episode is just bad for the show's longevity, and makes Doctor Who much more about a particular actor than the Doctor.

How so? With a throwaway regeneration cycle given, and no explanation as to why? If fans are happy with that, fair enough. I just think that's piss poor writing. As you say, 54 years of a rule and storyline effectively wiped out with one line which basically says, "meh forget about that. Here's a new rule". It deserves a little more respect than that.

I mean, it was a pretty arbitrary rule in the first place.

hamchan

The regeneration limit was pretty awfully handled by Moffat but as with everything Doctor Who we just keep looking and moving forward.

I think both Tennant and Smith have too much respect for the role of the Doctor to ever come back as a full time "degeneration" instead of giving another actor a chance at the role.

I finally watched the last episode of this season last night. I enjoyed this entire season more than any season since Tennant, honestly. I think Bill was a great companion and like when they move away from companions romantically interested in the Doctor. Anyway, I'm excited for whoever the next Doctor is, but I really think Capaldi shined this season and wish he was in for more.

Tizoc

What're the must watch 6TH Doctor episodes? I've been thinking of getting around to watching 1st-7th Doctor series but 6th is the one who had the troubled period so I'm cautious about what eps. to watch.

What're the must watch 6TH Doctor episodes? I've been thinking of getting around to watching 1st-7th Doctor series but 6th is the one who had the troubled period so I'm cautious about what eps. to watch.

Trial of a Timelord. Simply so you know who exactly the Valeyard is that everyone around here keeps talking about.

I won't claim they are good though. Well, the first story is.

Broken Joystick

At least you can talk. Who are you?
The Regeneration limit issue was sorted in Time of the Doctor. Degeneration would be the worst thing to happen, Doctor Who should keep moving forward as it has for 54 years

Yep.

There should never be a regeneration where the Doctor changes into someone he's been before.

Wanting a certain Doctor to come back for an episode or two? Fine. Short spin-off series (McGann, please), sure!

Having a former Doctor come back and headline a new series? No thanks.

I love The Two Doctors, but that's largely up to Troughton.

The regeneration limit was pretty awfully handled by Moffat but as with everything Doctor Who we just keep looking and moving forward.

I think both Tennant and Smith have too much respect for the role of the Doctor to ever come back as a full time "degeneration" instead of giving another actor a chance at the role.

That's true. I agree with that as well as what Blader said. But from a storyline standpoint, it's gonna take a lot of leg work from future writers to make sure it all stays in line with what's come before in terms of the overall story arch.

Then again, they could just ignore the regeneration thing altogether and run with with Moffatt laid down. It was just quietly sweeped under the rug thats for sure. But as Ham says, the show goes on either way.

Platy

No degenrations !

If ou want smith back lets have more multiple doctor stories than =P

We need those so that the dude who plays Alfred on Gotham can be doctor as he is looking and sounding every day more like his dad

Top Bottom