• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Doctor Who: The Adventure Games |OT| Ep1 - City of the Daleks

logo.gif

Introduction

The BBC have funded production of four Doctor Who Adventure Games. They're free to download for all UK residents, and are being produced by an impressive ensemble:

Charles Cecil (Beneath a Steel Sky, Broken Sword)

Sumo Digital (Virtua Tennis 2009, Sonic and Sega All Stars Racing, Broken Sword: Sleeping Dragon and Angel of Death).

Phil Ford (Doctor Who special "The Waters of Mars", brilliant if you haven't seen it)

James Moran (Torchwood miniseries "Children of Earth", very well recieved).

The first of these games, City of the Daleks, has now been released.

What is Doctor Who?

Longest running science-fiction show in the world. Its also wonderful, and very easy to jump in to.

The premise is simple and usually follows this formula:

forumla.gif

The Official Site, Wikipedia, and Tardis Wikia are good places if you want more extensive information. They can tell you all about Shada, the Hand of Omega, The Valeyard, Season 6B, Morbius' Past Regenerations and the Blinovitch Limitation Effect.

Who are the main players?

The Doctor

thedoctor.jpg

The Doctor is the last surviving member of the species knows as Time Lords. They were benevolently managing most of the universe and its laws for billions of years. They don't look human, humans look Time Lord. The Time Lords and their planet, Gallifrey were wiped out in the Last Great Time War, and now the Doctor travels around the universe with human companions to right wrongs and have fun.

The Doctor doesn't like violence and weapons, and will use his brains and charm to sort out evil.

Amy Pond

amy.jpg

The Doctor's newest companion, she's a brave do-gooder who has been wanting to travel in The Tardis since the Doctor crashed into her back garden.

Rory

Who?

The Tardis

tardis.jpg

A living spacetimeship that is dimensionally transcendental (its bigger on the inside). It can take you anywhere and anywhen, and was grown by the Time Lords as a tool of temporal stability. Then it broke down and The Doctor nicked it from the repair bay. It looks like a Police Box because The Doctor likes Police Boxes.

The Daleks

thedaleks.jpg

The worst thing in all of creation. Mutated survivors of a Nazi-like regime battling racial purity over a poisoned planet. They removed every emotion except for hate, and exist solely to kill (EX-TERR-MINN-NAATE!) everything that is not a Dalek. They're a superintelligent race of rutheless conquerors, and fought the Time Lords (and destroyed them) in a crippling battle for the multiverse. Give them a reason to keep you alive, or they will shoot you and destroy your planet.

The Cracks

cracks.jpg

Cracks are appearing in space and time. They appear and grow, and their calm lures people into them. They erase the existence of anyone and anything they touch. Don't go near it. Don't touch it. They're bad enough to scare The Doctor, and he's fought Satan and won.

The Games

Episode 1 - City of the Daleks

UK Release Dates: Saturday 5th June (PC); Tuesday 15th June (Mac)
Rest-of-World Release Dates: July 2010
Size: Approx. 300MB
Price: (UK) FREE; (REST OF WORLD) UNANNOUNCED

MattSmithKarenGillenInteractiveBBC.jpg

Premise: The Tardis materialises in 1963, but time has been changed. The Daleks have dominated Earth and exterimated the human race. They have some plan to restore their long lost homeworld, Skaro. The Doctor and Amy must stop them!

Episode 2 - Blood of the Cybermen

UK Release Dates: Saturday 26th June
Rest-of-World Release Dates: UNANNOUNCED
Size: Approx. 300MB
Price: (UK) FREE; (REST OF WORLD) UNANNOUNCED

adventure_07.jpg

Premise: The Cybermen have returned.

Episode 3 - Unannounced title

Possible Art

adventure_concept_02.jpg

Episode 4 - Unannounced title

Possible Art

adventure_concept_06.jpg

From released media, its certain that the future episodes will involve alien planets, an ice cave, an industrial complex and The Cybermen.

Screenshots

gafshot2.jpg

gafshot1.jpg

adventure_03.jpg

adventure_06.jpg

adventure_12.jpg

Trailers

Episode 1: City of the Daleks Trailer (IGN)

System Requirements

Windows PC

Operating System: Windows XP (with Service Pack 2)

Central Processor Unit: Intel Pentium4 1.6 GHz+ or AMD Sempron 2800 + or higher

Main Memory: Windows XP / Windows 7 - 512 MB, Windows Vista - 1GB

Free Hard Disk Space: 2Gb (pus additional working space)

Sound Card: Direct X 9 compatible

Graphics Card: 100% DirectX 9 or above compatible. 128 Mb memory. Pixel Shader 2.0 or above with the latest drivers for your card.

The game supports onboard graphics cards that have Pixel Shader 2.0 capability (includes the Intel chipsets) but may have reduced framerates.

Apple Mac

Intel CPU

2GB hard disk space (pus additional working space)

Reviews

NeoGAF - 6 out of 10 ("was good")

I'm outside the UK, how do I get the games?

Official response from the Beeb:

I live outside the UK - can I play the Adventure Games?

If you live outside the UK, the first Adventure Game will be available to purchase in early July. We will have more information shortly on release dates and where you can buy them, so watch this space!

Download Links

Episode One - City of the Daleks

Rikyfree

WANT! I may be stateside but that doesn't mean I don't love me some Doctor Who! Grew up watching the old ones with Baker and can't wait to play these! Just hope there is some way NA can get this!

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
To my great shame I've never gotten into Doctor Who, mainly because I dont know where to start and its so big (and because TV is low on the art/entertainment medium interest scale for me). But this looks cool and the talent behind it looks pretty good.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Mama Robotnik said:
The Doctor

thedoctor.jpg

The Doctor is the last surviving member of the species knows as Time Lords. They were benevolently managing most of the universe and its laws for billions of years. They don't look human, humans look Time Lord. The Time Lords and their planet, Gallifrey were wiped out in the Last Great Time War, and now the Doctor travels around the universe with human companions to right wrongs and have fun.

The Doctor doesn't like violence and weapons, and will use his brains and charm to sort out evil.

51j6UhVHP4L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Development started before Tennant left?

Reknoc

I was sold as soon as Charles Cecil was mentioned.

HK-47 said:
To my great shame I've never gotten into Doctor Who, mainly because I dont know where to start and its so big (and because TV is low on the art/entertainment medium interest scale for me). But this looks cool and the talent behind it looks pretty good.

You might aswell start with the current series. Then Matt Smith will be your Doctor and you can hate every Doctor after until they manage to prove they're really good.

EctoPrime

Do UK pc magazines still have coverdiscs, if so that might be a way to get the game in places that get a lot of uk mags like Australia.

The_Technomancer said:
Agreed, is there any legal obstructions to them somehow being hosted for non-UK residents?
It seems the BBC are treating them like a TV show in terms of how they are commissioned. They're license fee paid "episodes" of a "show", so rights would need to be bought for worldwide distribution. So, yes.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
I would be hyped for this if the BBC weren't dicks and shared it with the rest of the world.

MOFFAT

MOFFAT I TRUST YOU

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
HK-47 said:

The 4 seasons since the relaunch are available on Netflix streaming. Not a bad place to start
With the superior Ninth Doctor

http://www.netflix.com/WiMovie/Doct...ed8d_0_srl&strkid=1581473347_0_0&trkid=438381

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
HK-47 said:

Start with the 2005 revival with Christopher Eccleston and Billie Piper. First episode is Rose.

So I'm assuming I should get caught up on the new series before playing these, right? I'm all caught up until before this current one.

border

I've got to imagine this will have some unofficial sources to download from. The game itself might do a region check, but who knows if it will require a region check (read: it won't run unless you're connected to the internet).

Any idea what the system requirements are? My videocard died some months ago and I'm worried how this thing might look on an Intel Integrated Graphics chipset.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
border said:
I've got to imagine this will have some unofficial sources to download from. The game itself might do a region check, but who knows if it will require a region check (read: it won't run unless you're connected to the internet).

Any idea what the system requirements are? My videocard died some months ago and I'm worried how this thing might look on an Intel Integrated Graphics chipset.

Given the BBC's total lack of interest in people downloading their shows (and in the case of Top Gear, bragging about how many people download it) I don't think they'll go out of their way to protect the game outside making official downloads UK only..

Yes, I'm hoping this game will be playable in America. If it isn't, then the people putting this game are so much less than the very best of something something.

border

goldenpp72 said:
why does the doctors model look so fucking horrible but the rest looks good?

Check the trailer -- nothing about this game looks very good technically. Considering that it's being given away for free and has had maybe less than a 12 month development time, I'm kinda skeptical that it'll be any good even beyond the technical aspects.

Still though, it's Doctor Who so I don't mind checking it out. The OP should really be updated to mention that the game is FREE so people are more likely to give it a spin.....maybe it's worth waiting to see how/if it can be played in America.

PJV3

From Eurogamers hands-on.

How to leave it, then? Despite the potential niggles, City of the Daleks is fun to play, authentic and amusing in its casting and dialogue and part of an online strategy that puts other broadcasters to shame. It's also clear that it's a better product than the drivel that's seeped out of big-budget American shows like Lost and Prison Break over the past few years. What's more, to underline, if you live in the UK it's going to be free. Did I mention that already?

I can't stand here and say that this first episode is going to be an all-out success as a self-contained game - especially not for an older and more game-literate audience - but when viewed as a story-focused episode built to complement, and indeed stand alongside, the current excellent run of Doctor Who of a Saturday night, it will fare better.

Iron E Man said:
My macbook probably wont be able to run it :(
I believe it's been designed to run on hardware specs that match those big old Texas Instruments calculators. Your Macbook'll be fine, I suspect.

I've only started watching Doc Who this season so I'm not sure if I'll go through the hassle of getting this yet. I like Karen Gillan though!

Green Scar said:
It's spelt download, not dowload. :p

Anyway, yeah, this looks great. Also fuck you about the Rory thing :lol :(

Fuck you about changing your avatar :mad:

watkinzez

Charles Cecil erased any disappointment that these aren't being done by Telltale. Will play as soon as they're available here!

Mad_Ban

Fuck!

FUCK!!!

YES!!! :D

*downloading*

On a related sidenote, it says I don't have enough HDD space when I have 150GB free. :p

They could have atleast tried it on a laptop and realised that the first thing, the bloody BBC logo, is the wrong aspect ratio. Figuring out 16:10 on a PC game isn't hard, this is just sloppy.

infiniteloop said:
Will wait for purchase :(
If it's reasonably priced...

But yeah, I'm a British citizen. Does that mean I'm officially a British resident even if I don't reside in Britain?

I mean I technically am, and I'm technically not.

Connundrum.

Top Bottom