• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Doctor Who: The Adventure Games |OT| Ep1 - City of the Daleks

V_Ben

Banned
Wag said:
This is total BS. Most of us with cable in the US are already paying for BBC-America to watch the show. I don't get their logic.

Yes, but you're not paying a UK TV license. Cable is a whole different thing.

Wag

V_Ben said:
Yes, but you're not paying a UK TV license. Cable is a whole different thing.
Maybe so but we're still paying to watch the show. They should have done the right thing by the fans and released it for free to everyone (which I thought they were going to do to begin with).

mclem

Wag said:
Maybe so but we're still paying to watch the show. They should have done the right thing by the fans and released it for free to everyone (which I thought they were going to do to begin with).

BBC Worldwide are the company that handles licensing to other countries, and - despite the name - they're significantly distinct from the BBC itself. So the issue is actually whether BBC Worldwide would be interested in looking into licensing the web content from the BBC, I would imagine.

One small tidbit about the game itself, since the documentation doesn't seem to mention it anywhere: WASD works fine instead of the arrow keys. Bonus points there for the devs!

http://static.bbc.co.uk/doctorwho/ic/bil/304x171//doctorwho/tag/winter-of-terror304.jpg

winter-of-terror304.jpg

Winter of Terror. Looks like BBC just leaked the name for Episode 2.

EDIT - bigger version found through URL manipulation:

http://static.bbc.co.uk/images/ic/qe/crop/946x532//doctorwho/tag/winter-of-terror304.jpg

V_Ben

Banned
Wag said:

Technically, yes you are. But, the way the British system works is that all families have to pay a fee if they have a TV, and the fee goes to the channel providers. The BBC in the UK don't air ads, and as such the fees help subsidize their costs

handy diagram;
pieCharty2.gif

The online + other costs here are probably what is funding the doctor who game. BBC America is a different entity, and as such has a different financial model. Unfortunately, "doing it for the fans" is a difficult thing for BBC America to do, as the fees you pay for them involves their licensing of other channel's content (Peep show, to name one example. That's a channel 4 program.) Also, BBC America carries adverts.

From the BBC America web site;
Why does BBC AMERICA carry advertisements when the BBC in the UK does not?
In the UK, the BBC is funded by British TV licensing fees. However, by law, the BBC is not allowed to use this money to fund channels outside the UK, therefore BBC AMERICA is reliant on advertising sales. Without advertisements, we would not exist.

Hence, it's probably harder than you think for them to give the doctor who game away for free, due to costs such as bandwidth for downloads, and the fact that the game was funded through UK TV licensing fees. Though it would be nice, I agree.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
V_Ben said:
Technically, yes you are. But, the way the British system works is that all families have to pay a fee if they have a TV, and the fee goes to the channel providers. The BBC in the UK don't air ads, and as such the fees help subsidize their costs

handy diagram;
pieCharty2.gif

The online + other costs here are probably what is funding the doctor who game. BBC America is a different entity, and as such has a different financial model. Unfortunately, "doing it for the fans" is a difficult thing for BBC America to do, as the fees you pay for them involves their licensing of other channel's content (Peep show, to name one example. That's a channel 4 program.) Also, BBC America carries adverts.

From the BBC America web site;

Hence, it's probably harder than you think for them to give the doctor who game away for free, due to costs such as bandwidth for downloads, and the fact that the game was funded through UK TV licensing fees. Though it would be nice, I agree.

Maybe you can answer a question for me. If there are no ads why are some BBC shows like Top Gear a full hour long yet Doctor Who episodes are usually 45 minutes about the length of American shows without commercials? What fills up that extra 1 5minutes, or is a hour block not a consideration in scheduling?

V_Ben

Banned
DrForester said:
Maybe you can answer a question for me. If there are no ads why are some BBC shows like Top Gear a full hour long yet Doctor Who episodes are usually 45 minutes about the length of American shows without commercials? What fills up that extra 1 5minutes, or is a hour block not a consideration in scheduling?

For the BBC, scheduling can be an interesting idea. They sort of chuck it together willy-nilly, if you'll pardon the expression.
This Saturday, Doctor Who runs from 6:40 - 7:30, with oddly lengthed programs filling out the schedule until 10:00. Basically, the BBC show what they want in the order they want, and leave it up to the public to use their watches to watch whatever program they want. It's strange. Sometimes they have little 10 minute shows, to fill in the gaps.

JonathanEx said:
Not everything is strictly an hour. It has a 45 minute timeslot.

That too. The length suits the program most times.

mclem

It's worth adding that Doctor Who was specifically *designed* for sale to other countries, too, hence making it a length which ends up as an hour when padded with adverts. Top Gear wasn't originally planned that way (and is instead cut - often heavily - to fit the slots available)

I believe the mini "making of" documentaries in the more recent Attenborough series were intended to serve a similar purpose; making the programme fill an hour-long slot nicely, but very easily removable for export to other countries so they can include adverts instead.

Shaheed79

dabbled in the jelly
I would actually be interested in this because I have become a huge DW fan since the new series. I even went back and watched ALL previous series just to familiarize myself with all the Doctors. Sadly I won't buy this due to the current Doctor trying so hard to imitate the last doctor instead of being genuinely new doctor which is the ultimate sin of a new Doctor. I cringe every time I hear Smith say a line Tennant made famous in hopes of invoking his addictive and eccentric spirit. Be yourself Smith not Tennant lite.

DrForester said:

Doctor Who is 'built' for exporting, too. Doctor Who gets a good chunk of its money from BBC Worldwide sales as well as taxpayer money. When they bought it back the trio in charge - Russel T Davies, Julie Gardner and Phil Collinson - conceived it as having 45 minute episodes and 13 episodes to a series so it'd be easier to sell overseas.

Most BBC entertainment shows and dramas run an hour long and only have 8 episodes to a series... and both of these things make them difficult to export.

so for free i enjoyed it. if i were to pay for it in american dollars i think $5 would be the upper ceiling i would pay for the experience.

Matt Smith was much more subdued in his portrayal as the Doctor here. He was still good, but his Doctor came over all Peter Davison rather than Patrick Troughton.

I prefer how he plays it on TV to be honest. Karen was pretty much the same, and obviously Nick Briggs was great if that even needs saying.

Well, I pay for a UK TV licence and as I'm working abroad I can't get the game. It can't be that hard to make some kind of login system to get the content if you track the TV licence number to the owner.

CryptiK

dreamcastmaster said:
Well, I pay for a UK TV licence and as I'm working abroad I can't get the game. It can't be that hard to make some kind of login system to get the content if you track the TV licence number to the owner.
The region locking is shit on this thing.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Mama Robotnik said:
James Moran (Torchwood miniseries "Children of Earth", very well recieved).[/i]

Just wanted to point out that he wrote the episode titled The Fires of Pompeii, which was crap.

Shaheed79 said:
I would actually be interested in this because I have become a huge DW fan since the new series. I even went back and watched ALL previous series just to familiarize myself with all the Doctors. Sadly I won't buy this due to the current Doctor trying so hard to imitate the last doctor instead of being genuinely new doctor which is the ultimate sin of a new Doctor. I cringe every time I hear Smith say a line Tennant made famous in hopes of invoking his addictive and eccentric spirit. Be yourself Smith not Tennant lite.
What. What is this I don't even...you're bonkers. Smith is so much better than Tennant, it's not even a fair comparison. And I loved watching Tennant.

The game is decidedly "eh". Gotta love Smith and Gillian's voices, and there were some nice bits of dialog. Gameplay is very boring overall, though, which is a shame. I'd say it's worth a look if you're a Who fan, but this isn't going to win the show any new viewers.

dak1dsk1

Banned
HixxSAFC said:
And then be harassed by them for owning a tv? They're like vultures. We moved house a couple of years ago and 2 days later they came knocking.

I mean the lass that did come knocking was fit as fuck and was blatantly giving me the look but it was still daft.
Vultures? You are too kind. They are more like the Gestapo!

Regulus Tera said:
Just wanted to point out that he wrote the episode titled The Fires of Pompeii, which was crap.
it's my wife's favourite episode.

it isn't my favourite, but it is far from crap!

RocketDarkness said:
What. What is this I don't even...you're bonkers. Smith is so much better than Tennant, it's not even a fair comparison. And I loved watching Tennant.

Yup. Smith certainly isn't simply doing a bad Tennant impression. While there's going to be a flavour of Tennant in there simply by virtue of the crossover of writers and the need to have some kind of continuity from one Doctor to the next, he's quickly making the part his own. Love the little mannerisms he's lifted from older Doctors (I see bits of Troughton and Hartnell in there every now and then) and the moments when he is completely oblivious to human niceties or emotions, and it's nice to have a slightly odd-looking Doctor again.

Dynoro

CryptiK said:
So I live in Australia and if I were to obtain this game it would be completely illegal correct?
Correct; I imagine it could be sold outside the UK so it most likely will be available eventually.

Regulus Tera said:
Just wanted to point out that he wrote the episode titled The Fires of Pompeii, which was great.

Fixed.

The title sequence isn't a video to keep the download size down.

Erm, its installing episode 2 data

Episode 2 comes before Episode 1. The barrier to understanding time is empirical thinking. I suggest a lateral approach.

Shaheed79 said:
Sadly I won't buy this due to the current Doctor trying so hard to imitate the last doctor instead of being genuinely new doctor which is the ultimate sin of a new Doctor. I cringe every time I hear Smith say a line Tennant made famous in hopes of invoking his addictive and eccentric spirit. Be yourself Smith not Tennant lite.

wat. The only Tennant thing Smith's said was the "you beauty!" line in Victory of the Daleks. The writers are writing the character of the Doctor so he's not going to change all that much. Smith has really made the part his own, imo.

Dr Zhivago said:
Episode 2 comes before Episode 1. The barrier to understanding time is empirical thinking. I suggest a lateral approach.

I bet they just swapped the order round to lead the series with Daleks. Cos kids love Daleks. And it was too much work to change all the reference files.

Or maybe a typo, it's funny to go through the files (mostly all unprotected, especially the audio which is nice) and see the silly names and typos in there.

Oh, and going through the files it appears across the series there'll be a total of 7 different types of minigames. At least it means we get to repeat different ones each episode!

To me, the game feels overly repetitive - probably because Sumo haven't made such a short game before. Such levels of repetition would normally be fine over 10 hours, but over 1.5 it's like "what, I'm backtracking this bit I've just done right now?" and then you get to do it again later in the game too!

Oh, and I'm not impressed by the way the BBC have been treating it - they released a near-final but not final version? You wouldn't do that with a bloody TV show, don't do it with a game. And it's Doctor Who. The best of Doctor Who is some of the best of British TV - the game won't be the best thing ever but there are high standards to match.

Wag said:
Just like every other licensed game is given for free to those who watch the original material?

Soooooooooo

That was pretty good for a free game. Though Matt Smith whispering all his lines wasn't great. I also didn't like the plot's liberal re-writing of Dalek history (Skaro is timelocked dammit!). The game was fun enough.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
border said:
So is there a way I can download this if I'm in the states? Am I even allowed to ask? :p
The download is restricted to IP addresses in the UK, if you have a UK IP address then you can download, if you don't have a UK IP address then you can't download. If you can find a way of having a UK IP to start the download then you will be able to download a copy.

RetroMG

Green Scar said:
Soooooooooo

That was pretty good for a free game. Though Matt Smith whispering all his lines wasn't great. I also didn't like the plot's liberal re-writing of Dalek history (Skaro is timelocked dammit!). The game was fun enough.

Skaro's also been blown up several different times. If you're big on continuity, Doctor Who isn't for you. Also, shouldn't the
Emperor Dalek have been white, isntead of blue? I thought the game identified the white Daleks as supreme commanders?

Anyway, got what I'd guess is about halfway through last night before falling asleep. It's great for being free. If I'd had to pay, I think I'd feel ripped off.

EDIT: That bit about continuity came off harsher than I intended. Sorry. :lol

CryptiK

JonathanEx said:
Oh, and I'm not impressed by the way the BBC have been treating it - they released a near-final but not final version? You wouldn't do that with a bloody TV show, don't do it with a game. And it's Doctor Who. The best of Doctor Who is some of the best of British TV - the game won't be the best thing ever but there are high standards to match.
What do you mean only near final where did you get this info? I thought it was the final version.

Dynoro

CryptiK said:
What do you mean only near final where did you get this info? I thought it was the final version.
Having just played it; it seems like a final version to me (no bugs thus far). I can't see them selling that though unless its a couple of quid an episode or a tenner for the whole series. The voice acting and sound weren't bad, especially given what the budget probably was but the graphics are pretty poor though that's probably intentional so you could even play it on a netbook or a 5 year old PC.

Omikaru

Wag said:
BBC =/= BBC America. If you don't pay for it, whether directly as it will be abroad, or get it for "free" (at the point of service) due to the TV license domestically, then you're a pirate.

By your logic, just because you've subscribed to the Cable TV channel that broadcasts your favourite TV shows, that gives you an instant moral right to get any game adaptations for free.

RetroGamer42 said:
Skaro's also been blown up several different times. If you're big on continuity, Doctor Who isn't for you. Also, shouldn't the
Emperor Dalek have been white, isntead of blue? I thought the game identified the white Daleks as supreme commanders?

Anyway, got what I'd guess is about halfway through last night before falling asleep. It's great for being free. If I'd had to pay, I think I'd feel ripped off.

EDIT: That bit about continuity came off harsher than I intended. Sorry. :lol

Nah, it wasn't harsh at all. You're right, Doctor Who isn't great for continuity, but I can want things :p

Shiggy

Omikaru said:
BBC =/= BBC America. If you don't pay for it, whether directly as it will be abroad, or get it for "free" (at the point of service) due to the TV license domestically, then you're a pirate.

You don't become a pirate just because you download a game provided on the official website, do you? Isn't it their duty to make sure that it's only accessible to people who pay for the TV fees? Unless they ensure that this is the case, they cannot blame anyone but themselves.
Nevertheless, I haven't read their ToS as the game wouldn't run on this PC, don't know what that states.

Zomba13

Just finished it now. Seemed pretty final to me. No bugs as far as I could see (apart from some flickering textures/background object when I was playing on low on my crap laptop)
Not bad for free. The puzzles were a bit lame but the stealth sections were pretty good and it did feel like an episode of Doctor Who (although with bits missing). The voice acting was pretty cool but didn't feel connected, like it wasn't coming from where they were.
I'm looking forward to the next one.

OMG Aero

Shiggy said:
You don't become a pirate just because you download a game provided on the official website, do you? Isn't it their duty to make sure that it's only accessible to people who pay for the TV fees? Unless they ensure that this is the case, they cannot blame anyone but themselves.
Nevertheless, I haven't read their ToS as the game wouldn't run on this PC, don't know what that states.
I'm pretty sure it's still pirating as this version is intended for the UK only and some people in this thread have said they will charge for it in other countries later.
Just because the region check is easy to bypass that doesn't make it legal, just like if a game has easy DRM to get past it doesn't suddenly become their fault.

McBradders said:
I really sincerely don't understand why you're complaining.
It's not so much that specifically - it just is another bullet point on the "lack of polish" with this game. It just seems silly to release a few days early before it's done for no reason. It's more about how the BBC have treated it rather than it's out before it's done.

Shiggy

OMG Aero said:
I'm pretty sure it's still pirating as this version is intended for the UK only and some people in this thread have said they will charge for it in other countries later.
Just because the region check is easy to bypass that doesn't make it legal, just like if a game has easy DRM to get past it doesn't suddenly become their fault.

It's not illegal to use a proxy, but it's probably illegal to bypass a DRM (in my country it is). As we don't have international law yet, one can assume that it's illegal in one country but legal in another. To call it piracy, the BBC must have enforced a more secure region-restriction technology imo as you can easily download it without any illegal means.
Do you know whether the ToS of the game provide any additional information of who is allowed to use the game? I cannot find any reference on the BBC website that it is illegal to download the game for free if you are outside the UK.

OMG Aero

Shiggy said:
It's not illegal to use a proxy, but it's probably illegal to bypass a DRM (in my country it is). As we don't have international law yet, one can assume that it's illegal in one country but legal in another. To call it piracy, the BBC must have enforced a more secure region-restriction technology imo as you can easily download it without any illegal means.
Do you know whether the ToS of the game provide any additional information of who is allowed to use the game? I cannot find any reference on the BBC website that it is illegal to download the game for free if you are outside the UK.
I just ran the installer again and the license agreement you have to agree to before installing the game says:
Provided you download and use the Software and Documentation for use in the United Kingdom only and comply with all conditions for use of the Software and Documentation and do not bypass the digital rights management package and routine then we hereby grant you a non-exclusive license to use the Software and Documentation on any computer.
So yeah, it sounds like it would be against the ToS to download the game currently on the UK website for free if you don't live in the UK.

Is it just me or can you not change the resolution? For some reason it doesn't automatically update the resolution you choose, you have to reset the game (what a great idea). But when you do reset, it doesn't save your resolution that you chose?

Shiggy

OMG Aero said:
I just ran the installer again and the license agreement you have to agree to before installing the game says:

So yeah, it sounds like it would be against the ToS to download the game currently on the UK website for free if you don't live in the UK.

Then there we have a definite answer ;)
You can download it, but the use is against the ToS.

Top Bottom