• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Doctor Who: The Adventure Games |OT| Ep1 - City of the Daleks

Thomper

Sage00 said:
Installing!

What was it?
IP check. If you have a British IP, it redirects you to the download-page and just lets you download. So, basically, really easy.

So far, enjoying the game. Looks pretty awful and not a big fan of stealth-stuff, but maybe it's just the fact that I'm playing a Doctor Who episode, and geeking out about that.

Thomper said:
IP check. If you have a British IP, it redirects you to the download-page and just lets you download. So, basically, really easy.

So far, enjoying the game. Looks pretty awful and not a big fan of stealth-stuff, but maybe it's just the fact that I'm playing a Doctor Who episode, and geeking out about that.
I haven't started watching Season 5 yet. Would you suggest holding off on playing this until I do?

System Check - Negative

Unfortunately your computer has not passed the basic check and it is unlikely the Adventure Games will run on this machine at the moment.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Damn freakin' laptop. I need a real PC.

On an average Internet connection, it should take 10-20 minutes to download.

Well, mine's worse than it seems then, becuase this is gonna end up taking like 2 hours.

RPG_Fanatic said:
I am reading the OP correctly, that the first episode is free?
Also, is the June 5th date for America?
America ain't getting it legally. Yet.

All of them are free. For the UK.

Lijik

RPG_Fanatic said:
I am reading the OP correctly, that the first episode is free?
Also, is the June 5th date for America?
All episodes are free in the UK, June 5th is for the mac version, the game will be available to purchase in America in early July according to the site.

Thomper

Buttonbasher said:
I haven't started watching Season 5 yet. Would you suggest holding off on playing this until I do?
Well, I'd say you should probably watch Series 5 first, or at least the first episode and the Dalek-episode (episode 3). If only because the Daleks in this game are the newly-reset-Daleks from episode 3, and you'd probably want a proper introduction to the Eleventh Doctor and his companion before playing it.

Green Scar said:
On an average Internet connection, it should take 10-20 minutes to download.

Well, mine's worse than it seems then, becuase this is gonna end up taking like 2 hours.
mine downloaded in about five minutes.

which is patently hilarious. but i can't play it for another five hours so you still get to play it first.

i haven't felt this included since they accidentally streamed 'Dalek' live on iplayer without any region checks that one time.

Thomper said:
Well, I'd say you should probably watch Series 5 first, or at least the first episode and the Dalek-episode (episode 3). If only because the Daleks in this game are the newly-reset-Daleks from episode 3, and you'd probably want a proper introduction to the Eleventh Doctor and his companion before playing it.
Makes sense. I'll start tonight then.

plagiarize said:
mine downloaded in about five minutes.

which is patently hilarious. but i can't play it for another five hours so you still get to play it first.

i haven't felt this included since they accidentally streamed 'Dalek' live on iplayer without any region checks that one time.

Damn you Americans and your cutting edge broadband internet! *shakes fist towards the Atlantic*

Also lol at the 'Dalek' thing :lol

Green Scar said:
Damn you Americans and your cutting edge broadband internet! *shakes fist towards the Atlantic*

Also lol at the 'Dalek' thing :lol
I'm British. Just living in the states currently ;)

mclem

Bless. The System Checker thinks that my PC won't run it due to lack of HD space. I currently have 120GB free. That 330MB download must have some impressive compression...

Dr Zhivago said:
To educate and inform.
Basically stupid bullshit no-one cares about.

And although I'm going to be critical when I write up more points, it's good. But for Doctor Who, I expect better. I'm not that far in and it's already lazy. But one of the best free games I've played.

Just finished it. Was nice, not the best game I've ever played, but certainly not the worst. The music is fucking awesome as usual for doctor who.
My game choked up to about 0.5FPS when you first see those
plant thingies
though, and my PC can run crysis on high, so I dunno what went on there.

JonathanEx said:
Whoever decided the game should include "fun facts" about the cab and the underground should be exterminated.
Oh there are worse ones later.

Thomper

Finished it. That was decent. As a free game, though, much more than decent. The game doesn't look great, the controls are pretty bad, and there was a bit too much sneaking around for my tastes, but I still enjoyed playing it. Just hope the next episodes will have slightly more variety, and I don't mean inserting more of those annoying mini-games. I'd certainly love it if they continued to do this every year, though. They've got the engine now, and if that means they can put out 4 of these kinds of episodes a year with relatively little extra effort, that'd be awesome.

Turned it off in a huff when
Amy has to find the Dalek parts
because I'm sick of tedious stupid stealth repetition bullshit.

And don't get me started on the lack of 'logic' in this game.
Yes, you do something wrong in this part, and a Dalek comes through this door and kills you. Then, straight after the section, without being told you're expected to go through that door. I mean I did go through it, but I did expect to be killed straight away as at that stage, that was the logic of the game.
It's everything that Valve wouldn't do in terms of logic.

It feels like a rushed product. If someone actually properly playtested it (seriously, aspect ratios of full screen image on a Laptop? The first thing it loads up? How do you miss that?) it could be redeemed.

And if the second game is more stealth bullshit of the same type then I'm out.

Raydeen

WTF Doctor?!?! I failed processor test??! Sonic that shit!

Downloading now....fully playable Karen Gillian secret mode? Please developers!! :D

Stop It

Perfectly able to grasp the inherent value of the fishing game.
mclem said:
Bless. The System Checker thinks that my PC won't run it due to lack of HD space. I currently have 120GB free. That 330MB download must have some impressive compression...
I have 500GB free on one HDD alone and it said the same. Something tells me if you have too much HDD space it resets to 0 on the checker, or something.

Still, downloaded and will test now, as long as the writing is of the usual high Doctor Who standards I will be happy.

Edit: EXCEPTION_ACCESS_VIOLATION: The thread tried to read from or write to a virtual address for which it does not have the appropriate access.

Well, that went well.

Raydeen

Not bad. Obviously for the younger 'uns with all the fact collectables on Nelson's Column ect. Got to the first save point, certainly not going to complain for a freebie - good stuff, but hardly a challenge. Said my PC processor wasn't good enough on the system check, but got it running full everything at highest res and it's as smooth as butter. 60fps all the way on an old Athlon X2 3200 & 9600 GT.

Burai

shitonmychest57
gcubed said:
wait, so we've moved on from Console exclusives to country exclusives... awesome!

British residents have already paid for this game via the TV licence.

Hixx

Liquid Helium said:
Not really, you can just not buy a TV licence.

And then be harassed by them for owning a tv? They're like vultures. We moved house a couple of years ago and 2 days later they came knocking.

I mean the lass that did come knocking was fit as fuck and was blatantly giving me the look but it was still daft.

Haunted

Well, I hope Brit-GAFers deliver impressions that justify the high expectations for this episode and enjoy themselves.

Downloaded and just seen past the opening credits. Animation varies from great to crap, voice acting is good though. I think Matt Smith's model is pretty damn good. Karen's doesn't look enough like her, though.

Really not bad for free. One question, though - why the hell did they put in a really crappy looking real-time 3D version of the opening sequence rather than just use a video file of the one from the show? Very strange decision.

EDIT: Okay, in-game, the voice acting lacks a certain ambience. Sounds a little disconnected from the action. Also, this game has stealth! I am crouching and walking slowly to sneak past Daleks. :lol

The BBC are filling their public service remit with this by putting in educational facts. There's items you can investigate and it tells you some real world history and whatnot.

OMG Aero

Just finished it and it was pretty good for a free game.
I did have a problem with delayed mouse input though which made those "Drag the part through a maze without hitting the wall" puzzles incredibly annoying though.

mclem

APZonerunner said:
The BBC are filling their public service remit with this by putting in educational facts. There's items you can investigate and it tells you some real world history and whatnot.

Way back in the mists of time, Doctor Who was planned as an educational adventure show in the first place; hence the inclusion of full historicals. That's sort-of continued into the modern show; there's often at least *some* interesting bit of information somewhere in an episode (How many language lovers cheered when
The Master
cried out
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5UQtLzWZ6D8
?).

Part of it is that the show originated in a time where Reithian values - "To Educate, Inform and Entertain" - were at the forefront, of course

Wag

This is total BS. Most of us with cable in the US are already paying for BBC-America to watch the show. I don't get their logic.

Side rant:

I really need to switch to Direct TV. Comcast took BBC America out of my current cable package, though I can still get some on demand programming. Problem is they only have up to Episode 6 of the Moffat series and episode 7 should have been up Saturday. I fucking hate Comcast.

Top Bottom