• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"DodgeBall" [insert pun here] the competition

Status
Not open for further replies.

MIMIC

Banned
#1 "Dodgeball: A True Underdog Story"..........................$30 million......(**)
#2 "The Terminal"........................................................ $18 million .....(**)
#3 "Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban".................$17.4 million ..($190.3 million)
#4 "Shrek 2"................................................................ $13.6 million ..($378.3 million)
#5 "Garfield: The Movie"............................................... $11 million .....($42 million)
#6 "The Stepford Wives"................................................$9.2 million ....($39.5 million)
#7 "The Chronicles of Riddick"........................................$8.3 million ....($41.4 million)
#8 "The Day After Tomorrow..........................................$7.6 million ....($166.8 million)
#9 "Around the World in 80 Days"...................................$6.3 million ....($9.6 million)
#10 "Troy"....................................................................$1.7 million ....($129 million)

Box Office Mojo

btrboyev

Garfield > Riddick

looks like harry potter won't make as much as the previous two, which quite frankly makes me think wtf?

All-Time United States Boxoffice
http://imdb.com/boxoffice/alltimegross

1. Titanic (1997) $600,779,824
2. Star Wars (1977) $460,935,665
3. E.T. the Extra-Terrestrial (1982) $434,949,459
4. Star Wars: Episode I - The Phantom Menace (1999) $431,065,444
5. Spider-Man (2002) $403,706,375
6. Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King, The (2003) $377,019,252
7. Passion of the Christ, The (2004) $370,025,697
8. Shrek 2 (2004) $364,681,000
9. Jurassic Park (1993) $356,784,000
10. Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers, The (2002) $340,478,898

Wow! This weeks takings will take Shrek 2 past Passion of the Christ -- both 2004 releases -- on the all time list and there's Spiderman 2 to come!

btrboyev said:
looks like harry potter won't make as much as the previous two, which quite frankly makes me think wtf?

Yeah looks like it which is a shame because I think it's easily the best in the series thus far. It can probably thank Shrek 2 and *groan* Garfield for taking a chunk of it's takings.

For reference sake:

Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone (2001) $317,557,891
Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets (2002) $261,970,615

Phoenix

tracky_dacks said:
All-Time United States Boxoffice
http://imdb.com/boxoffice/alltimegross

1. Titanic (1997) $600,779,824
2. Star Wars (1977) $460,935,665
3. E.T. the Extra-Terrestrial (1982) $434,949,459
4. Star Wars: Episode I - The Phantom Menace (1999) $431,065,444
5. Spider-Man (2002) $403,706,375
6. Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King, The (2003) $377,019,252
7. Passion of the Christ, The (2004) $370,025,697
8. Shrek 2 (2004) $364,681,000
9. Jurassic Park (1993) $356,784,000
10. Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers, The (2002) $340,478,898

Wow! This weeks takings will take Shrek 2 past Passion of the Christ -- both 2004 releases -- on the all time list and there's Spiderman 2 to come!

Are these just gross dollars or adjusted gross dollars (i.e. original values adjusted for the value of todays dollars)? I wish they would just rate these by number of tickets sold - would be so much easier.

Mama Smurf

My penis is still intact.
How much did Azkaban cost?

They should have released it at Christmas (as difficult as that would have been last year, maybe delayed it this year instead). I looked forward to my Christmas dose of Harry Potter.

Mama Smurf said:
Are these just gross dollars or adjusted gross dollars (i.e. original values adjusted for the value of todays dollars)? I wish they would just rate these by number of tickets sold - would be so much easier.

I think it's just gross dollars, though I'm not 100% sure.

Phoenix said:
How much did Azkaban cost?

Production Budget: $130 million
Marketing Costs: $50 million

Phoenix

btrboyev said:
Garfield > Riddick

Marketing marketing marketing. TW blew #3 by not playing to the mass market. The fans are going to go see the movies regardless but you have to spend some dollars to target the masses and get them in there.

Mrbob

Dodgball tearing up the box office!!! Awesome! Great to see for the funniest movie I've seen since Old School!

Oh and I wouldn't cry too much for Potter. Still has an awesome total gross plus the movie is tearing it up overseas.

Memles

The real race here will be how well Shrek 2 performs overseas...Potter has already passed it Worldwide, since Shrek hasn't seen a worldwide opening, as of now. When it comes to final overseas gross, it will be a tight race.

Not surprising the see the fall of Harry Potter through the three films...it is definitely not quality based, this second drop (The first was, in my honest opinion, as the first film seemed more enjoyable than the second). Very simple, sequels aren't supposed to do better than their first films, especially as the craze dies down. I think that if Rowling releases the 6th Book next July, somehow, it will spark new interest in Goblet for November. The third film is the best, but the concern lies in the fact that Shrek 2 opened so close before, and proceeded to take upwards of $25 million in the first weekend alone, and throughout the week (Where vacationing school children could be seeing Harry Potter) many were seeing Shrek 2 instead. Potter also enjoyed solid success in the Christmas Period in the November Opening slot, and there won't be that kind of rejuventation here. I'd expect it, however, to perform well long term, like Finding Nemo and Shrek 2 did. Throughout the week, it will continue to dominate the box office through schoolchildren, and thus will end up probably at about $225-$250 million. There's no other huge kids' movies to release that will have the same effect (Only Princess Bride 2/Cinderella Story, and both of those are tween girl based).

Should be interesting to see how this November turns out. Dreamworks has Shark Tale in Mid October, what looks to be an unfunny, relying on voice acting adventure, and the first true test of whether or not computer animation sells tickets. Much like Sinbad before it, I don't see much in this film, and I think the trailer puts too much focus on the voice talent and not enough focus on the actual quality of the story. Thus, if the movie performs well, it will likely be all on its computer animation, not on its actual quality. Judging from the trailer, looks uninteresting, other than a few little gags. Pixar's The Incredibles releases in the beginning of November, in the same slot as Monsters Inc. and the rest of the Pixar lineup before it. Considering their summer success with Nemo, I think this more applicable to adults super hero story has more of a chance during a period where the kiddies aren't off school all week. Other than that, I believe Spongebob releases at the same time, but outside the amazing teaser trailer I don't see much interest in that one.

Should be interesting to see how the three perform, box office wise.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom