• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Does anyone think Link should be able to talk and should Zelda have voice acting?

personally, I don't mind if they don't add both of the above but I think it would be a great step for the series. Every big title game should have voice acting now, so I really hope Zelda GC will have voice acting. I also want Link to say something for once and it would be even better if they had voice acting for it. Something like Leons voice (Kingdom Hears) or Dante (Devil May Cry) would suit Link perfectly.

Deku Tree

Zelda games have always been about the gameplay for me.

I don't want to see Nintendo focus too much on Voice Acting and cut scenes in a Zelda game...

I agree with Nintendo that Link shouldn't have voice acting b/c it would kill part of the feeling that "you are Link", but I could live with everyone except Link having voice acting.

I don't think he should have more voice acting, but I would like to be a bit more involved into being link. In usual zeldas, you can say/do mean things, but the consequences are typically an ugly face from someone, and then you're given the same choice again. I would like to see a change in that. I mean, Link should always remain heroic and kind, but if you could give him some character flaws that would be slightly reflected in the game, it would be a nice change.

Deku Tree said:
Zelda games have always been about the gameplay for me.

I don't want to see Nintendo focus too much on Voice Acting and cut scenes in a Zelda game...

I agree with Nintendo that Link shouldn't have voice acting b/c it would kill part of the feeling that "you are Link", but I could live with everyone except Link having voice acting.
wow, thats strange, I never feel like Link (thank god). I would mind everyone else having voice acting apart from Link, but I would prefer him to have voice acting. Does anyone actually know if Nintendo confirmed voice acting?

belgurdo said:
Yes. Death to "nostalgia;" Zelda needs change badly
I think you're being a bit unfair. Just because we prefer him not to speak doesn't mean we're holding on to "nostalgia". It simply keeps that wall between the player and the character remains invisible. Less detatched. There's NOTHING wrong with it. Just because every goddamn game nowadays is doing it doesn't mean Zelda has to. Go against the grain Zelda, squirt right in their eye!

hobbitx

I personally like it that there's no voice acting. Not trying to be a purist or anything, but it just fascinates me how the characters in Zelda can be so expressive and funny all through one simple noise or phrase, like the pawnshop owners "Hiyeee", or those two twin dancers hilarious angry grunt. I just can't imagine giving that up for regular voice acting, you can get that in any other game, it's one of the many things that make Zelda so unique. I love this Mr. Bean-like charm about Zelda, with every game it just excites me wondering how each character will sound.

Although I'll admit, it was kinda cool hearing Link talk a little in WW. When I heard Link tell the little statue to "COME ON!" I almost had a heart attack hearing Link not only say an actual word, but an entire phrase too, I loved it. I think the new game might just need some voices though, the goofy noises might be a little silly for this new Zelda, unless maybe they make each characters noise more serious sounding, yet still as expressive. Whatever they do, I'll keep an open mind about it.

belgurdo

Banned
DSN2K said:
no excuse anymore, if everyone spoke besides Link then I would be happy.

I guess this would be good too; give the boy some Skies of Arcadia-like voicing though (basic phrases and responses)

ge-man

At worst, I don't mind that voice acting being used for important NPC. Link should stay a mute.

As a counter question for those who want Link to talk badly--what would you have him say?

Deku Tree

On on the other hand, I'd rather be playing a US version of Zelda Reborn in 2005 w/o voice acting than have to wait till 2006 for translated voice acting.

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
I think Link should stay mute, its easier to become the hero if they dont have a voice, giving link a voice (or lines for that matter) kinda constricts the players opinion of him. Zelda and the other NPCs though, who have set characters and basically deliver the plot should definitely be voiced.

Having said that i dont think they'll voice any of it besides the usual soundbites.

belgurdo

Banned
ge-man said:
At worst, I don't mind that voice acting being used for important NPC. Link should stay a mute.

As a counter question for those who want Link to talk badly--what would you have him say?

Commenting on the environments he's in, complaining about how much certain items costs, "I'm in a game" humor, mental thoughts about how he wants to bag Zelda

hell, maybe even conversational choices that alter the plot

belgurdo said:
Commenting on the environments he's in, complaining about how much certain items costs, "I'm in a game" humor, mental thoughts about how he wants to bag Zelda

LAME

ge-man

belgurdo said:

I know you're joking a little, but honestly I don't think there is much that Link can say without it being annoying or stupid. Link is non-fleshed out by design, which makes it impossible to come up with anything meaningful to say. Nintendo could change that element of the game as well, but now we start getting away from what is essential to a Zelda game. I don't play Zelda games to hear about my characters emotional baggage.

As one of the finest examples of Eastern game design philosophies, I can honestly say I want this Western design choice as far away from Zelda as possible. Let the Western developers concentrate on branching development.

human5892

Queen of Denmark
NO.

And to be honest, I think I'd prefer voice acting be left out of NPCs, too. As someone said, it's part of Zelda's charm.

As one of the finest examples of Eastern game design philosophies, I can honestly say I want this Western design choice as far away from Zelda as possible. Let the Western developers concentrate on branching development.

It doesn't have to alter the plot, but details, just use it subtly, and it will fit a Zelda game. I don't like saying bad things and having no consequences whatsoever other than a cartoony outraged face from the person I'm discussing with, that will all but forget about the last 10 seconds afterwards, and ask the same question again. I would call it pointless.

Musashi Wins!

FLAWLESS VICTOLY!
It's really not important to me at all. At most, very brief phrases, not repeated.

For the defense, I offer you the FUCKING HORRIBLE voice of Mario.

jarrod

Banned
How about focusing on more important components (like dungeon/puzzle/world design)... voice acting wouldn't have TWW any better, it's a superficial concern at best.

Deku Tree

Does anyone else remember Miyamoto saying something like "maybe you can use your own voice" as Link @ e3? I do. Insert press release:

king zell said:
Mario Party 6 revealed!

The game comes with a Nintendo GameCube Mic. Now you can control some furiously fun mini-game action with the sound of your voice.

Maybe they're going to include this Mic in Zelda Reborn instead of voice acting for Link?

Prine

Banned
Id like it to be KOTOR'd

NPCs talking with Link having the ability to choose what to say. With some deliberate humor ofcourse.

Musashi Wins! said:
It's really not important to me at all. At most, very brief phrases, not repeated.

For the defense, I offer you the FUCKING HORRIBLE voice of Mario.

Nintendo doesn't have a huge track record of voice acting experience. I'll deal with SMS' horrible Mario voice if it leads to better quality VO in other Nintendo releases (why the new Metroid releases haven't found a voice for Samus is beyond me).

ge-man

DJ Demon J said:
Nintendo doesn't have a huge track record of voice acting experience. I'll deal with SMS' horrible Mario voice if it leads to better quality VO in other Nintendo releases (why the new Metroid releases haven't found a voice for Samus is beyond me).

She's another character who hasn't had much to say. I can understand giving her a voice now because her character has been greatly fleshed out over this generation. The new MP even has here interacting with galatic federation soldiers as opposed to her being the solitary humoid on Aether. Metroid is pretty much ready for the next step.

Zelda on the other hand...

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
Adding voices to Zelda would be kind of like adding color to the beginning and ending of the Wizard of Oz.

I'll leave it at that.

Mr Gump

Banned
sp0rsk said:
who gives a shit about voice acting? what the hell does that add to the gameplay?
Good voice acting would add a greater sense of immersion i suppose. Come to think of it Zelda needs to get rid of the midi music.

sp0rsk said:
who gives a shit about voice acting? what the hell does that add to the gameplay?
Can't you imagine the sort of masculine bravado voice acting would add to Link's character? I can't imagine voice acting in Zelda any other way -- and if that's the case, I'd rather have voice acting stay far away from the series.

Perhaps it's the cartoons that have me soured on the idea. There's just something present in Zelda that makes me feel like voice acting would destroy any of the series' charm.

Gattsu25

Banned
yes, because of all the franchises I enjoy the Zelda one is the one that evolved the least over the past 2 generations
no, because of all the franchises I enjoy the Zelda one is the one that needs player voices the least

Brofist

sp0rsk said:

I don't think voice acting is meant to add to gameplay, just to add to the experience (good or bad depending on the quality I guess). By that way of thinking what does music really add to most games besides atmosphere. We should just play with the fucking mute button on, shouldn't change the gameplay right?

Anyway this was argued about FF games before FFX, now I can't imagine them going back to pre FFX no voice acting.

DCX

DCX
kpop100 said:
I don't think voice acting is meant to add to gameplay, just to add to the experience (good or bad depending on the quality I guess). By that way of thinking what does music really add to most games besides atmosphere. We should just play with the fucking mute button on, shouldn't change the gameplay right?

Anyway this was argued about FF games before FFX, now I can't imagine them going back to pre FFX no voice acting.
+1 for Athmosphere...videogames is a unique way of expressing entertainment and we need to be immersed, more so than movies, music etc...so yes we need voice acting, we need great music, good visuals and a compelling story...that's what we pay for.

DCX

Scrow

Still Tagged Accordingly
chocoholic said:
Does anyone think Link should be able to talk and should Zelda have voice acting?
No. Absolutely not.
Yes. Death to "nostalgia;" Zelda needs change badly
Zelda can change without voice acting being in it.

Anyway, I'm not worried. This has got a snowball's chance in hell of happening.

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
Mr Gump said:
Good voice acting would add a greater sense of immersion i suppose. Come to think of it Zelda needs to get rid of the midi music.

keep the midi music. zelda is not lord of the rings.

FFIX is utterly unplayable because of the lack of VA in the cutscenes. It's just terrible.

Anyways, I like the grunts from TWW. I don't particularly want to hear him give a monologue though. NPCs could have VA, but what would they say? I think the current intro/reaction one liners are fine.

Brofist

Scrow said:
Anyway, I'm not worried. This has got a snowball's chance in hell of happening.

and there was also a time when a person who believed there would be a cel-shaded Zelda would have been laughed out of these forums as well...

ge-man

sp0rsk said:
keep the midi music. zelda is not lord of the rings.

They you could use better samples at the very least. I'll go out on a limb and say that I think ALTTP sounds MUCH better than the recent console Zeldas.

nubbe said:
I imagine Link sounds a bit like Tidus but with a tad weaker voice
thats just the same as saying he is gay.

technically, Link does talk, but you don't here him, for instance, in OoT where you first visit Zelda's castle and you have to wake up Talon. Talon starts talking and then he says "What? Malon is waiting for me". It's like Link told Talon that Malon is waiting for him, but Talon says it to tell the player what Link said...Im not sure if anyone will understand what I'm saying, but...

Brofist

you ever hear the John Williams version of the Zelda theme...you telling me you wouldn't want the in game music sounding like that..

ge-man

kpop100 said:
and there was also a time when a person who believed there would be a cel-shaded Zelda would have been laughed out of these forums as well...

The analogy is not very convincing. Who would have been about the choice ahead of time. Voice acting is one thing, but the cel-shading was a complete surprise for everyone.

ge-man

kpop100 said:
you ever hear the John Williams version of the Zelda theme...you telling me you wouldn't want the in game music sounding like that..

I've a rip of that, and while it's a great arrangement, I don't think we need that level of presentation. I like the most of the current compostions, it's just the sound samples they are using are underwhelming.

radcliff

Whats weird is that I don't beleive Link has ever said anything in any Zelda game, even in text. People just reply to him as if the question was implied or they just tell him some vague clue. So if they keep this the same, Link doesn't even have to speak. But the other characters should.

Top Bottom