• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Does anyone think Link should be able to talk and should Zelda have voice acting?

Brofist

ge-man said:
The analogy is not very convincing. Who would have been about the choice ahead of time. Voice acting is one thing, but the cel-shading was a complete surprise for everyone.

I meant after seeing games like JSR. You probably are right, I don't imagine voice acting in a Zelda game in the near future. But anything is possible

Scrow

Still Tagged Accordingly
kpop100 said:
and there was also a time when a person who believed there would be a cel-shaded Zelda would have been laughed out of these forums as well...
so what?

Have any of you ever seen footage from the 3DO Zelda games? Did you hear Link talk? If you had, you would know better than to ask whether Link (or any character) should speak.

If you wanna hear Link talk, go download some old Super Mario Bros. Super Show episodes. I can live without it in the game.

Flynn

DJ Demon J said:
Properly done voice acting, hell yes. Voice acting for the sake of voice acting, hell no.

In video games, dubbing, etc. properly done voice acting is extremely rare.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Voice acting in English releases of games is so annoying... not to mention, most every game picks from the same talent pool as each other... I say we should definitely keep Link silent... I also prefer silence in most RPGs too. Some games have good voice acting... the MGS series, for one, but more often than not, I get whiney voice acting...

Though voice acting as a whole is better than it was in the Turbo Duo days...

I think my problem is that I'm expecting Konami quality voice acting. MGS: TTS, MGS2 and ZOE2 have some very nice voice acting. I don't think Nintendo are capable of that, after all, look at SMS, ironically, it actually sounds like its done by by kids, which is so fitting to Nintendo

joking:p

P90

jiji said:
No. The amount of voice the series currently uses is very effective and *gasp* doesn't require dubbing for localization. Ain't broke, shouldn't be fixed.

The TRUTH. Thumbs up.

I still don't want voice acting in Zelda games. I don't think it will lend anything other than one less thing for the player to imagine and about ten other things to go wrong. Screw that. I'll never agree on that point heh.

NLB2

Banned
Deku Tree said:
Does anyone else remember Miyamoto saying something like "maybe you can use your own voice" as Link @ e3? I do. Insert press release:

Maybe they're going to include this Mic in Zelda Reborn instead of voice acting for Link?
Miyamoto said maybe that he [Miyamoto] would do the voice for Link.

AniHawk

Shoryuken said:
I'm not sure I want any of the characters to talk, but a talking narrator could work pretty well.

I'd like to hear Ganondorf speak. Just as long as the voice acting is above Nintendo's previous standards (think SMS and the cartoons), I'd be fine (Star Fox 64 did this pretty well... except for Slippy).

As much as I'd like to hear these characters acted well, I think Fire Emblem is the Nintendo franchise which deserves it far more.

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
Like many others have said, feel free to give a voice to every character in the game BUT Link. Link has never spoken in any of the Zelda games, so he doesn't need a voice ... but all the other characters have, so feel free to give them one.

AniHawk said:
As much as I'd like to hear these characters acted well, I think Fire Emblem is the Nintendo franchise which deserves it far more.
Well, Fire Emblem games do focus on the intercharacter conversations... all the characters in the game talk, other than "you", right?

AniHawk

DavidDayton said:
Like many others have said, feel free to give a voice to every character in the game BUT Link. Link has never spoken in any of the Zelda games, so he doesn't need a voice ... but all the other characters have, so feel free to give them one.

Well, Fire Emblem games do focus on the intercharacter conversations... all the characters in the game talk, other than "you", right?

Yes. The game is probably low budget enough that they could afford some voice actors to help out. I mean, if La Pucelle Tactics and Disgaea can have VA, I don't see why FE shouldn't.

DDayton

Dragona Akehi said:
Untrue. Zelda II has the only phrase Link utters in the entire series:

"I FOUND A MIRROR."

Absolutely riveting.

I don't remember this scene! Screen shot time, folks... heh.

Although I'm tempted to think it was a bad translation, actually.

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
the last several zelda games already have elaborate, filmic cutscenes. the lack of voice acting is strange and incongruous. it needs to be there.

Korranator

Bleh...

Voice acting is overrated and a waste of time. I'd rather them focus more on gameplay then waste time with filler meanless drivel like voice acting.

Kiriku

SWEDISH PERFECTION
navi.gif

"Hey!"

"Listen!"

DavidDayton said:
I don't remember this scene! Screen shot time, folks... heh.

Although I'm tempted to think it was a bad translation, actually.

It's in the town of Saria. He finds a mirror to get a magic spell. I'll see if I can figure out how to make a movie file of Zelda II and post it if you want irrefutable proof.

The "Come On" in Windwaker would be #2, but I tend to not count it because it isn't in the "script" as lame as that sounds. Or is Hyrulian just English? :p

Socreges

Banned
I'd like there to be voice acting, but Link should remain as is, for reasons that people have already mentioned.

The VA would have to be well done and fitting (ie, FFX VA is *not* fitting), though. Otherwise, I'd rather just have text.

DDayton

Dragona Akehi said:
It's in the town of Saria. He finds a mirror to get a magic spell. I'll see if I can figure out how to make a movie file of Zelda II and post it if you want irrefutable proof.

The "Come On" in Windwaker would be #2, but I tend to not count it because it isn't in the "script" as lame as that sounds. Or is Hyrulian just English? :p

I believe you, I just didn't remember it... a screenshot would be fun, though.

I'd sort of agree with the "Come On" not counting... it's in the same catagory as "vocal grunts", really... sure, it's words, but it's not the same as voice acting and dialogue.

Vargas

If it doesn't take anything away from the game then I think they should add it. I never bought into that whole mute character=you bit anyway. It isn't like you can control how the story develops, so why bother considering myself the character? I did like how it worked in Fire Emblem though.

Speevy

Banned
Didn't Miyamoto hint that you could use your own voice for Link?

Do any of you find it weird that suddenly there's a mic peripheral? :p

AniHawk

Vargas said:
If it doesn't take anything away from the game then I think they should add it. I never bought into that whole mute character=you bit anyway. It isn't like you can control how the story develops, so why bother considering myself the character?

Well you could always name him whatever you wanted with the exception of Four Swords Adventures. I think it's just part of Miyamoto's philosophy on gaming. And since there are SO many games where the lead character isn't mute, and that we've had nearly 20 years of a silent Link, why should we change from that? Now, voice acting is something which should be added eventually to the series, with the option to turn it off. That way people who have been clamoring for it can finally enjoy it, and it doesn't ruin the game for people who had their own voices in mind for the characters.

AniHawk

Speevy said:
Didn't Miyamoto hint that you could use your own voice for Link?

Do any of you find it weird that suddenly there's a mic peripheral? :p

I think it's oddly coincidental, but I think Miyamoto was only kidding around.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
I don't think its necessary, as I liked the "garble speak" some NPCs currently "speak" in the past couple of console Zeldas. But I also wouldn't necessarily mind an option to turn that into full VA. Not Link, though. And if it isn't high quality, I'd rather the option to kill it entirely.

AniHawk

Mejilan said:
I don't think its necessary, as I liked the "garble speak" some NPCs currently "speak" in the past couple of console Zeldas. But I also wouldn't necessarily mind an option to turn that into full VA. Not Link, though. And if it isn't high quality, I'd rather the option to kill it entirely.

Same here. Though I think Nintendo has the resources and smarts to hire a bunch of people who know what they're doing. Meaning, they probably would hire well known voice directors as well as actors.

If La Pucelle Tactics can sound decent on a small budget with Cam Clarke, Jennifer Hale, and Tara Strong, something on the production level of a Zelda game could sound much better.

On the flip side, that's not always true. Final Fantasy X is a game I think was a mixed bag (didn't like Yuna, Rikku, or Tidus- the others were fine though), but had high production values.

JJConrad

Sucks at viral marketing
NLB2 said:
Miyamoto said maybe that he [Miyamoto] would do the voice for Link.
Here is what Miyamoto said:

Shigeru Miyamoto - taken from IGN said:
I actually don't want Link to talk very much. Maybe I'll record my own voice for when he talks, or maybe you can record your own voice [laughs].
Mic use is all but confirmed.

JJConrad

Sucks at viral marketing
Kiriku said:
This begs the question, which Nintendo games have actually featured voice acting?
Almost every Nintendo game since Super Mario 64 has had some level of voice acting. Sper Metroid had some too.

DavidDayton said:
I believe you, I just didn't remember it... a screenshot would be fun, though.

I'd sort of agree with the "Come On" not counting... it's in the same catagory as "vocal grunts", really... sure, it's words, but it's not the same as voice acting and dialogue.

Heh well I present to thee:
IRREFUTABLE PROOF!

But I made an error in my first post: he actually says "I FOUND A MIRROR
UNDER THE TABLE."
Oops. And he does say SOMETHING ELSE (!!!) later on in Zelda II. In the
"HIDDEN TOWN OF KASUTO"
he says
"LOOKS LIKE I CAN GET IN THE FIREPLACE."
where you find a
hidden magic container.

Also...

The first Nintendo game to use voice acting is Star Fox SFC if I recall correctly, not Super Metroid.

Besides General Pepper saying "Good Luck" at the beginning of each mission, there's actual voice acting for the ending:

Fox: Come in Corneria.
Gen. Pepper: This is Corneria, Pepper speaking. Congratulations on a job well done.
Fox: Roger, flight heading back to Corneria.

Also Super Metroid just has a voice clip: it isn't like it's Samus saying it so it can't be considered "voice acting" in the most anal sense.

And yes, I am persistent. I like the spoiler tag too, can you tell?

Li Mu Bai

Banned
No, this would be a terrible idea IMO. For purists it would be like the Master Chief spitting out cheesy Spidey-like one liners.

Brofist

kpop100 said:
and there was also a time when a person who believed there would be a cel-shaded Zelda would have been laughed out of these forums as well...

Scrow said:

It means anything is possible. Was it that fucking hard to grasp? I wasn't dissing the game, don't worry.

Li Mu Bai

Banned
Subitai said:
I don't think Link needs to speak, but everyone else should.

While Link responds only in script? There would seem to be an interactive void, although PC games have been doing exactly that for years.

Top Bottom