• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Does HDLDump allow to install JP games on unmodded NTSC PS2 and play them via HDLoad?

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
HDLDump is a PC based utility that allows you to install a game to your PS2 hard drive, which can later be played using the HDLoader, when you plug the drive back to PS2. Why is this good? First of all, it allows you to install the DVD9 games (goodbye loading problems in CoN), and second of all it maybe circumvents the region ID check. I know that some people here were saying that HDLoader checks for the region ID only during the installation proces, but would play the game if it was to be installed on a Japanese console, and a drive transferred to a US console. Well, the common sense tells this utility does not perform any ID checks, but I don't have a single JP game to try it with. Does someone here have an experience with this software? If it works, that would mean an insta-import of Dodonpachi Daijoy and Espgaluda...

Brofist

I don't think HDloader checks for anything as far as when the game is loading, the PS2 does the checks. So I would think you would still need a mod chip, whether the game is loaded via HDLDump or HDloader.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
Hold up, there's a PC app that lets you put games on a HDD and connect to the PS2? Does the HDD need to be a PS2 HDD? Hot damn!

Hajaz

hdldump lets you dump games to the hd by connecting the hd to your pc. When you put it in your ps2 you will be able to load it with hdloader. So in that sence, its possible to dump a backup on the hd, then play it on an unmodded ps2.

Not sure on the pal-ntsc-jap thing tho. My guess would be that it would not work, i'll ask around tho

Marconelly,

I have loaded imports on my unmodded ps2 via fliptop and they work fine. So this Hdldump util should allow the loading of imports just fine. The ps2 only does region check when you press the eject or reset button, so once you get past the first check and the game is on the hdd, you're good to go.

Brofist

Give it a try I guess. I doubt it will work. It may solve the problem of installing the game, but the game most likely wont run. This would have been big news all over ps2owns and other forums if it were the case (like the new OS for PS2)

Defensor

Mistaken iRobbery!
Faceless master or Tenchir could probably confirm if it works or not. This weekend, I sort of installed the HD utility disc on my modded PS2 that had the HDloader thinking I could boot up a game from the PS2 browser. Eh, little did I know that my modchip didn't like this and wouldn't boot games from the browser and it took longer for my PS2 to boot up(like when you have FFXI installed so it takes longer to boot up). Plus after I installed the HD utility on my HD along with the HDLoader, my PS2 wouldn't recognize the Utility Disc anymore giving me the Red screen of death. Luckily, the PS2 Linux disc allows you to reformat the HDD and erase everything on it so I could reinstall the HDloader. Now my modded PS2 will boot up like a normal PS2 without the HDDutility installed and can shut down normally.

However, during the little experiment, I did have some Import games installed on my HDD and then I swapped it into my non modded PS2 and from there any of the games booted up fine, import or not.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
However, during the little experiment, I did have some Import games installed on my HDD and then I swapped it into my non modded PS2 and from there any of the games booted up fine, import or not.

Marconelly,

I have loaded imports on my unmodded ps2 via fliptop and they work fine. So this Hdldump util should allow the loading of imports just fine. The ps2 only does region check when you press the eject or reset button, so once you get past the first check and the game is on the hdd, you're good to go.
Sounds good. I have to first try this HDL dump on someting I know it's supposed to work right with. I'll try CoN later today, although I have no clue what to use to make an ISO with. I can also try PAL Ico and see if that works (the game supports 60Hz mode so theoretically it should work)

Fun times ahead :)

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Btw, another little proggy called "Launch Disk v0.2" allows you to install to HDD any homebrew app (emulators, demos, etc) in the .ELF format.

I'll have to try that as well, as I have this one demo that I'm dying to see on the PS2.

Defensor said:
Faceless master or Tenchir could probably confirm if it works or not. This weekend, I sort of installed the HD utility disc on my modded PS2 that had the HDloader thinking I could boot up a game from the PS2 browser. Eh, little did I know that my modchip didn't like this and wouldn't boot games from the browser and it took longer for my PS2 to boot up(like when you have FFXI installed so it takes longer to boot up). Plus after I installed the HD utility on my HD along with the HDLoader, my PS2 wouldn't recognize the Utility Disc anymore giving me the Red screen of death. Luckily, the PS2 Linux disc allows you to reformat the HDD and erase everything on it so I could reinstall the HDloader. Now my modded PS2 will boot up like a normal PS2 without the HDDutility installed and can shut down normally.

in theory i could try it and personally confirm that it works, but hey, i have a DMS3 mod that i paid good money for, so i don't need to worry about all the extra hassles of playing original imports like fire pro z, king of colosseum and the jp doa2 hardcore... why would i bother to take the HDD out of my PS2 and put it in my PC? sounds like more work to me... but hey, i too have heard it works from various people on IRC and messageboards...

Marconelly said:
Sounds good. I have to first try this HDL dump on someting I know it's supposed to work right with. I'll try CoN later today, although I have no clue what to use to make an ISO with. I can also try PAL Ico and see if that works (the game supports 60Hz mode so theoretically it should work)

Fun times ahead :)
DVD Decrypter ... it's free too...

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
So you can play CoN or any DVD9 games just fine when using HDLDump? If so, I wonder why you can't back them up on the HDDloader itself

tenchir

It should work. Installing games by PC should be no different than installing by modded PS2 and than transfering the HDD to an unmodded PS2. The HDLoader disc basically bypass the disc check whenever it plays a game from the HDD(not the same as installing a game which the PS2 will always check at each eject).

Wario64 said:
So you can play CoN or any DVD9 games just fine when using HDLDump? If so, I wonder why you can't back them up on the HDDloader itself

Some DVD9 games work, I know CON works. The HDloader could install DVD9 games because I think the programmers couldn't figure out how to access the second layer of the disc.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
I wonder if this means that there'll be tools to 'hack' games if Sony ever puts protection in future releases to twart the HDDloader

Wario64 said:
I wonder if this means that there'll be tools to 'hack' games if Sony ever puts protection in future releases to twart the HDDloader

I wonder if it means someone will release new texture packs for Rumble Roses like people did for DOA:XVB.

kpop100 said:
Give it a try I guess. I doubt it will work. It may solve the problem of installing the game, but the game most likely wont run. This would have been big news all over ps2owns and other forums if it were the case (like the new OS for PS2)

What "new OS for PS2"?

Also, I'll be thankful if someone can post or PM me a list of all online stores selling HDLoader, because I have trouble with some websites accepting my credit card, so stores that accept money transfers and such would be great.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
You can almost bet on that. Good thing this HDL Dump exist, although I must admit it's a huge hassle to unplug PS2 HDD, plug it to the PC, then plug it back to PS2, and repeat that every time you want something installed. It's worth it for the JP imports, though.

Brofist

adelgary said:
What "new OS for PS2"?

I'm assuming a similar setup to the user friendly Xbox dashboard

Link Here

Some features

* boot CD/DVD from PS2OS
* enhanced file manager
* enhanced partition manager
* Pen Drive Support
* run applications from HDD- no DMS HDD explorer necessary!
* enhanced memory management
* save memory card files to HDD and vice versa

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
OK, I've tested the whole thing, and so far I must say it's a complete success.

I have actually got PAL version of Ico to work perfectly on my unmodded US console and a plain ole' NTSC TV. Yes, you heard it right. This HDL Dump proggy completely defeats region protection, and if your PAL game supports 60Hz mode (like Ico does), you can freely run it on your US console. Holy crap, I knew that buying that PAL Ico will one day make me even happier than I was when I saw the wonderful box art. Now to finish the game again and see the famous watermelon easter egg, and be able to control Yorda :))

Anyways...

CoN is installed as well (8GB) and works perfectly, load times are so short it's not even funny (1 second or so) CoN requires Mode 3 setting in HDLoader in order to work.

Process for installing the games is incredibly simple. Thanks to Faceless Master to instructing me to use DVD decryptor (I already had it, but didn't thought it could be used for making ISOs out of non-video DVDs) The GUI of HDL Dumb (GUI version of HDL Dump) is very simple and self explanatory. The most difficult part really, is juggling the PS2 drive around. I have attached the PS2 HDD as secondary master (PS2 HDD must be jumpered as master) and the HDLDumb recognized it without a hitch.

I haven't managed to run that precious homebrew demo, as the process of running these homebrew apps still seem to be very, very spotty. I won't give up, and I'm sure there will be better utilities in the future to support this sort of stuff (this new OS already seems to be one such thing)

Now - what is the best place to import Japanese games if you live in Canada? I'm interested in buying Dodonpachi Daijoy and Espgaluda. Maybe Metal Slug 3 as well.

DaCocoBrova

Finally bought a new PSP, but then pushed the demon onto someone else. Jesus.
Instead of putting the HDD in a PC, can't you just use one of these:

US-1352S.jpg

????

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Dacoco, the biggest hassle, really, is removing and re-attaching the drive from and to a PS2. PC side is not that big of a deal (except that you have to power it down/up every time you you attach/remove the disk).

Kleegamefan

K. LEE GAIDEN
What if you had a retail copy of an online game like Splinter Cell:pT and backed it up on the HDD using this new utility........could you then play the game online from the HDD???

We already know that Dual-layer games work, so if this works as well, it might bode well for something like GT4, which is both dual layer and online...

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Klee, newer online games (those that use DNSA) will not work, at least not without some kind of patch/crack (which AFAIK doesn't exist yet) So, if you want online, playing from the actual disc is your best bet for now. SC:pT does not work with HDLoader, btw. (*edit* and I mean doesn't work at all, not just online)

OK, here's a small update of my research with HDL Dump:

I have figured out how to make homebrew software work. Trick is just properly saving an ISO file, transfering it to the HDD, and HDLOader runs it without problem. Methods described on various PS2 sites that utilize "Launch Disk 0.2 and 0.3" are just wrong, and way more complicated than what the real thing actually is. Anyways, now it's possible to run various emulators, demos, etc. off the HDD. I've tried PGEN, and it works, but the ROMS have to be provided on a separate CDR (looks like it won't recognize them if you just dump them into the same ISO with the PGEN executable) and I have yet to make such CDR to test if the emulation really works. Now for the big thing (at least for me) - 'Aura for Laura' demo is working - and is *freakin* awesome. It's, without the doubt, by far the best console demo I've ever seen.

I have also copied the MGS2:Substance to my PC HDD, but have yet to move it over to a PS2. I'm not too eager to do that now that I've read the game may not even work (which is weird, as regular MGS2 definitely works, although that same site claims it doesn't - but then again they claim GTA:VC doesn't work either, which is also BS)

Does anyone know of another good homebrew app that I could try, and can anyone suggest the best way to buy Japanese imports if you live in Canada?

Brannon

HDLoader, the gift that keeps on giving, now enhanced with HDLDump/Dumb?

This is just way too good to be true. But it is.

Now, will this work with the CD version of Contra: Shattered Soldier? That fatal read error was the one niggling point of that game.

Defensor

Mistaken iRobbery!
Tenchir, IIRC, said he got Contra to work on the HDloader by copying your original disc to another media.

Now, will this work with the CD version of Contra: Shattered Soldier? That fatal read error was the one niggling point of that game.
:)Yup, it was one of the first things I tried with this cool little app. Also got my Gradius 3&4 on there with this method as well.

Tenchir, IIRC, said he got Contra to work on the HDloader by copying your original disc to another media.
This method didn't work for me. No matter though, hdl dump nipped this problem in the bud! It also allowed me to play the Burnout 3 demo, which is freaking awesome, btw.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Burnout 3 demo is PAL only, right? And you run it on a NTSC machine?

This is just way too good to be true. But it is.
That's what I'm thinking... It keeps your machine in the pristine condition (no soldering or nothing, great if you ever need the warranty) yet it allows you to run pretty much anything on it now, plus to run it with a huge load speed increase.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
PanopticBlue, check your PM ;) (I guess this is OK, right? I mean, that demo is freeware anyways...)

Marco, MGS2 is a single-layer game, while MGS2:Substance is a dual-layer game
Yep, I know that. MGS2 can be installed on the PS2 the 'regular' HDLoader way (just put the disc in the drive and let HDLoader read it) but substance has to be installed using HDL Dump.

tenchir

Defensor said:

Another solution is to get the DVD version or reburn the CD version onto the DVD(you would have to edit some files and remake the iso), it worked for many people.

BreakyBoy

o_O @_@ O_o
If I use a "3rd party" hard drive, such as a compatible Maxtor 120GB, will I have any problems with hard drive compatible games such as RE: Outbreak and FF XI?

If not, I'm sold. I needs me some imports, and storing my 30 game backlog into a hard drive sounds fantastic.

Oh, and this wouldn't really be a selling point, but more of a nicety: Can you play PS1 games off the HDloader as well? I've got a scratched up copy of Tail Concerto I can't play on my PS2. o_O

tenchir

BreakyBoy said:
If I use a "3rd party" hard drive, such as a compatible Maxtor 120GB, will I have any problems with hard drive compatible games such as RE: Outbreak and FF XI?

If not, I'm sold. I needs me some imports, and storing my 30 game backlog into a hard drive sounds fantastic.

Oh, and this wouldn't really be a selling point, but more of a nicety: Can you play PS1 games off the HDloader as well? I've got a scratched up copy of Tail Concerto I can't play on my PS2. o_O

If you want to take advantages of those games by enabled HDD-support, the you will get problems(they won't work unless your PS2 is modded with DMS3 chip), they just won't install.

BreakyBoy

o_O @_@ O_o
tenchir said:
If you want to take advantages of those games by enabled HDD-support, the you will get problems(they won't work unless your PS2 is modded with DMS3 chip), they just won't install.

Good point and that's good to know, but I suppose I wasn't clear on my question.

Here's a hypothetical:

I have a PS2 w/ Network Adaptor, with a successfully installed 120GB HD using HDloader. I have backed up xxxx GBs of games onto said hard drive. I play them with no problem, because thankfully they're fully compatible with the HDloader.

Now, let's say I decide I want to play some RE Outbreak online. RE Outbreak, for whatever reason, is not backed up to the HD, so I grab my disc, boot it up normally, and I enable the option for faster loading using the hard drive (remember this is already built into RE Outbreak). Will I have a problem since I am not using an official Sony 40 GB hard drive?

In other words, assuming I boot the game up normally (i.e. with the original disc), will I have problems using my "3rd party" hard drive with games that normally use it (such as RE Outbreak and FF XI)?

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
In other words, assuming I boot the game up normally (i.e. with the original disc), will I have problems using my "3rd party" hard drive with games that normally use it (such as RE Outbreak and FF XI)?
Yes, pretty much. FFXI will not work with your '3rd party' disk - at all. That's because the game has to be installed on the HDD to work. RE:O will work as long as you run it from it's original DVD, but you will not be able to install it in any way on your disk (either by HDloader or by the in-game option) I'd imagine this will be the case with future officially HD-installable games as well (GT4) which was the main reason I bought the original disk intead of a larger, 3rd party one.

Oh, and this wouldn't really be a selling point, but more of a nicety: Can you play PS1 games off the HDloader as well?
Nope, PS1 games will not work.

MoxManiac

Another solution is to get the DVD version or reburn the CD version onto the DVD(you would have to edit some files and remake the iso), it worked for many people.

There's a DVD version of Contra SS?

tenchir

MoxManiac said:
There's a DVD version of Contra SS?

Yeah, there is a DVD version. The CD version came out first, then a DVD version was released afterward because some PS2s were having some trouble reading the CD version.

tenchir

Wario64 said:
That's news to me. Are there any other CD based games that swited to DVDs afterwards?

Not that I know of. If you want to reburn Contra SS CD to DVD, the instruction to do it is on ps2nfo.com ... Or you can use HDLDump.

BreakyBoy said:
Good point and that's good to know, but I suppose I wasn't clear on my question.

Here's a hypothetical:

I have a PS2 w/ Network Adaptor, with a successfully installed 120GB HD using HDloader. I have backed up xxxx GBs of games onto said hard drive. I play them with no problem, because thankfully they're fully compatible with the HDloader.

Now, let's say I decide I want to play some RE Outbreak online. RE Outbreak, for whatever reason, is not backed up to the HD, so I grab my disc, boot it up normally, and I enable the option for faster loading using the hard drive (remember this is already built into RE Outbreak). Will I have a problem since I am not using an official Sony 40 GB hard drive?

yes it will have problems... it won't set up the faster caching because it's not an official sony hdd

Burger

So this is confirmed ??

PS2 + HD + NA + HD Loader + HDL Dump = Backups, Imports etc on unmodded PS2 ?

If so, Sony must be pissing their pants.

Top Bottom