• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

does nier automata get good??

Shifty1897

It's a shame, usually we see eye to eye on game quality GigaBowser GigaBowser . I think Automata is wonderful, the variety in combat you get depending on which two weapons you equip, plus the added game mechanics depending on who you play as and the chip system is very deep.

If you aren't enjoying it, try progressing further in the mainline story. The story really starts taking hard turns once you start Route C.

GigaBowser

The bear of bad news
It's a shame, usually we see eye to eye on game quality GigaBowser GigaBowser . I think Automata is wonderful, the variety in combat you get depending on which two weapons you equip, plus the added game mechanics depending on who you play as and the chip system is very deep.

If you aren't enjoying it, try progressing further in the mainline story. The story really starts taking hard turns once you start Route C.
barely played you have genius taste so i will probably like it iffffffff I play more thirs time i will play longer

Shifty1897

Its all about story.

Which explains itself after 3-5 play throughs.

Personally gave up on 3rd play through.

Cool game though. Enjoyed music, atmosphere etc.
You were so close to the end! The 4th and 5th routes are basically just single boss fights, no more than 30 minutes long each. I don't want to tell you that Route E is worth it and then have you play it and find it as nothing special, but 7 years later I still can't even watch Route E's ending on YouTube without tearing up.

DelireMan7

I tried it beginning of the year due to the praise and a friend that told me it's incredible.
I dropped it after maximum 10 hours.

I like the mood and story. All the rest was boring.
I made the mistake to start in hard. (1h intro sequences with no save and no explanation of basic mechanics like healing ? Some call it genius, I call it bad design).
Then switched to normal mode. I personally find that the difference between normal and hard is too big. Especially when there is a mode above hard.
Normal is very easy, you can literally mash button brainlessly and it works in combat (I tried). Maybe it gets complicated later.

I couldn't get into the combat. I didn't feel I had real control of 2B. To many stuff happen when you press a button.

The constant change of cameras is also something I couldn't get into. Especially on one of the boss when it intentionally put the camera above and very close to your character. Just to allow you get hit and "transfer " into the shooting minigame every 5 seconds.

Environment are bland and empty. Music is not my taste. Sidequest are basic jRPG like.

I think I can like it because the story and mood intrigued me a lot but too many stuff I couldn't bare. Each session ended up in "Well this game is really bad".

I might try in later. I was maybe not in the good state of mind for it.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
I remember thinking that I wasn't too into it for the first hour or so....then it got me big time. Incredible game. I platinumed it.

Ulysses 31

I stoped playing it in this first large desert area after a bit. I can't understand the hype. Maybe I'm missing something
That's about where I stopped too, maybe I'll give it another try someday but I don't see what's so special about it either.

Toots

Gold Member
Personally gave up on 3rd play through.
You have to finish your 3rd playthrough (A2 playthrough)
I think the third playthrough gives you a satisfying definitive ending if i remember correctly...
Only about 4 or 5 endings on 26 (one for each alphabet letter) really makes the plot go forward.

While the game is not a beat-them-all like bayonetta it is just as much of a masterpiece.

Everyone who stopped before seeing adam and eve (end of the desert part) need to go back to it. Put it on easy mode and just rush the story until adam and eve or better even until my man Pascal storyline.

You can use speed chips to make your character go faster if you don't like running back and forth. You also quickly find means of fast travel between locations. Don't listen to hype men telling you the game is the second coming of Christ (which it is by the way), it hasq flaws but just play it anyway.
And yes the intro sequence is total ass and can be trickyeven in normal. This type of gameplay (almost) never happens again you just have to grind it once and you're free to enjoy one of the best story ever told in a videogame.

Last edited:

RaZoR No1

Strange to see so many contrary opinions on this game.
Either you love it and it is one of the GOAT or you hate it/ cant stand the game.
I think people who put it in GOAT category (me included) absolutely love japanese games of any kind.
The Story, the combat, the graphics etc. are great for any J-ARPG player.

The game is probably peak Platinum Games.

Husky

THE Prey 2 fanatic
I accidentally bought Nier Replicant instead of Nier Automata. That shit was so ass I'm not even going to bother with Automata
I think I'll still try Automata, but we're definitely on the same page about Replicant.

sigmaZ

off work detoxing stuffing my face seems like bayonetta but the combat is waaaaay more crud

keep tryin to play but i get bored after 2 minutes and play dead cells

If you don't like the gameplay within five hours, give it up. I found it entertaining and had an interesting atmosphere but some of the design felt outdated to me at the time and the PC version had some issues on release that further hindered the experience. Still was able to finish it though.

emivita

I accidentally bought Nier Replicant instead of Nier Automata. That shit was so ass I'm not even going to bother with Automata

how dare you GIF

Both games are fantastic. It's fine you don't like them, but calling Replicant 'ass' is quite insulting.

Duchess

It's a great game! I bought it due to the praise other Gaffers gave it. No regrets.

I really wanted Stellar Blade to play a lot more like it, but felt the combat was rather inferior.

Shit is fantastic from the very start..so if you don’t like it yet, you probably won’t. Although I enjoyed the content much more after first playthrough and the alt endings.

Rickyiez

If u don't like it, u won't like it. The second arc will repeat everything from first arc, u might even dislike it more after that

kubricks

off work detoxing stuffing my face seems like bayonetta but the combat is waaaaay more crud

keep tryin to play but i get bored after 2 minutes and play dead cells

Don't force yourself to enjoy something, if you don't you just don't.
Drop it and play something else. No game is for everyone.

LordOfChaos

For me I really started liking it more after the first "ending" where it really picks up and gets interesting from there, and then the final ending really resonated. It took a while to get into it.

But if you fundamentally don't like the gameplay, that is what it is.

DonF

I feel like I had a stroke.

the game is awesome, its great from the start. If you dont like it, it wont get better, sorry.

it has a really unique story and way to present it, and the gameplay is solid. You get to play with more character and get more weapons.

Roxkis_ii

I think Neir Automata is a slow burn. Yiu have to have a lot of painence. I almost gave up on route b, but that ending was worth it to me.

I don't even blame you. I dropped this game I think aeound half way and just watched the story on YouTube. It's was waaay more boring then Automata.

El Muerto

Gold Member
The game is good, but if you want something like Bayonetta then play DMC. Nier is it's own thing. I agree the combat isnt that great and can get boring after time but it makes up for that in everything else like the environment and story.

alienator

I accidently bought Nier Replicant twice. (on 360 and remaster)
storywise its even better than automata , but the automata has better combat. though call, love them both.

while its ok to not like a game, i hate this 'i got a 2 minute attentionspan so this game sucks' attitude... so im seriously trying to figure out how people call story driven action games like automata 'boring'... are people that starved for attention? i mean comeon, its a 2016 game, its 8 years old now, i might need to make a topic and post on how resident evil 1 is boring on the psx and if it gets better.

Raven117

It’s for vibes and story. Not amazing combat.

If that’s not hitting for you…. Then.. well… time to move on.

You were so close to the end! The 4th and 5th routes are basically just single boss fights, no more than 30 minutes long each. I don't want to tell you that Route E is worth it and then have you play it and find it as nothing special, but 7 years later I still can't even watch Route E's ending on YouTube without tearing up.

I had no idea. I only did 3 playthroughs and thought that was it. I had a friend who didn't even know there was more than 1 playthrough. Game wasn't to bad but the ending\replay stuff is annoying and they should just make it a normal game. My friend is a pretty hardcore gamer and had no idea about the multiple playthroughs that shouldn't be happening.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
It’s very slow and repetitive, which is typically not my kind of game at all. But, I saw the magic in this one so I decided to fully commit to it and not let those aspects bother me. Got the final ending etc., and it was definitely a special gaming experience.

A.Romero

I really wanted to play it on PC but was upset about the lack of updates at the beginning and the port being sub par. Finally it got to a price on sale that I could swallow.

I modded it and started playing the game. It seemed OK but nothing to write about. Finally finished the first playthrough and decided to drop it, I hate back tracking. Left it there for months and went back to it during the pandemic after reading more and more people praising it. I decided to power through the backtracking and it really paid off.

By the time I finished it I thought it was amazing. Loved the story. Gave a feeling only Kojima games give me.

For me it was all about the story and the art direction. Liked the combat but not as much as Bayo for sure.

Top Bottom