• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Does the new Thief run like ass on anyone else's comp?

Diablos

It sure does on mine. Using an Athlon XP 2400+, 9800 Pro and a gig of dual channel memory. This game is choppy as hell and you can't control the detail. It's the demo.

But the thing is... games like Painkiller look ten times better than this game and they run silky smooth.

golem

they definitely need better coders at Ion Storm or something (er if they still exist that is)... the game runs OK on my system however (P4 3.0, 9800Pro, 1gb dual as well @ 1024 no AA bloom on). Not choppy at all.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Runs OK for me. Certainly not perfect, but you get 60 fps here and there with a dash of ~40 fps. It rarely drops below 30 fps, thankfully.

Comparing it to Painkiller doesn't make any sense, though. Painkiller wasn't loaded with perpixel effects and didn't feature a unified lighting model. Those aspects are quite demanding...

Oni Jazar

Diablos said:
It sure does on mine. Using an Athlon XP 2400+, 9800 Pro and a gig of dual channel memory. This game is choppy as hell and you can't control the detail. It's the demo.

But the thing is... games like Painkiller look ten times better than this game and they run silky smooth.

diablos you should be getting great performance on your system. Make sure to use the Catalyst 4.4 drivers and maybe put the res at 1024x768

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
ZombieSupaStar said:
what if i have the 4.7s?

and yeah the game ran like kinda poo on my xp 3000 gig of pc3200 and 9800 pro

when i tried the demo

Nope. It only works with the 4.4 Cats. That's what the game was mainly tested with, and ATI broke Thief support in 4.5 and above. I wish they would address that issue...

The game RUNS on 4.7s, but the shadows don't display properly.

tedtropy

$50/hour, but no kissing on the lips and colors must be pre-separated
That's what happens when you center development around a console with PC hardware that's been last-gen a couple of gens ago. ;)

dark10x said:
Nope. It only works with the 4.4 Cats. That's what the game was mainly tested with, and ATI broke Thief support in 4.5 and above. I wish they would address that issue...

The game RUNS on 4.7s, but the shadows don't display properly.

Thats odd, i'm running 4.7s and getting no problem on the theif demo, looks fine to me.

ATI and XBOX ports do seem to have real issues with Catalyst drivers (KOTOR went downhill after 4.2 and has varying degrees of crapitude for the last 3 or 4 releases). So if 4.4 is the only "good" driver, that wouldn't shock me (Given my recent experience with Kotor and having to settle with 4.2). But the demo does have v-sync enabled by default I think. You could try that. I ran the demo on either 4.5 or 4.6 and it was very smooth and I have very similiar specs.

Mrbob

The shadow problem is going to be fixed with the 4.8 drivers. I'm holding out before buying the game.

The demo runs pretty well for me.

Top Bottom