• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Donkey Kong Country Returns 3D |OT| It's on like Dragon Kong!

Frolow

Banned
i0YW17OVUoJVA.png

Official Website
Developers - Monster Games (Port), Retro Studios (Original game)
Publisher - Nintendo
Release Dates - (NA/EU) May 24th, (AUS) May 25th, (JP) June 13th, (Thanks to StreetsAhead for the Japanese release date)
Platforms - 3DS, Wii
Game Size - 17,693 Blocks
Genre - Platformer
Multiplayer Local co-op.

created.php

Donkey Kong has returned again, in 3D! This port of the Wii classic features additional levels, new items, and stereoscopic 3D. Donkey Kong Country Returns is considered one of the best platformers on the Wii, including almost everything that people loved in the original trilogy; Rolling through kremlings Tikis, collecting K-O-N-G letters, launching from floating barrels, all of it is back. In addition to this, Retro also implemented a new element to the series of hopping between the background and foreground as you play. The game progresses through eight worlds based on themes such as caves, beaches, and forests. These worlds feature a variety of levels with brand new and returning mechanics in each one. Another first for the series is simultaneous cooperative play allowing for a second player to play as Diddy Kong. The co-op move is similar to New Super Mario Brothers where if one player dies, he can be brought back by collecting a flying DK barrel that appears. Diddy can also hop on Donkey Kong's back allowing for additional moves such as continues rolling and jetpack hovering.

created.php

Extra levels:
jTfyhR7zA363x.png

Eight extra levels unlocked after beating the game. These levels were developed by Monster Games and are based the worlds within the game. They also introduce some new mechanics such as falling tar and rotating gears.

New Mode:
jbhmEkMeWVOscP.png

Essentially easy mode. While the levels themselves aren't changed, you get extra health and some more items such as portable DK barrels, balloons that save you from falling, and crash guards that grant you a few extra hits while in a mine cart. Of course you can always play original mode, which keeps true to the original games' difficulty.

Other Changes:
-3D effect has been added. There's a downloadable trailer on the eShop if you're curious to see how it looks.
-The game is now controlled solely by the buttons.
-The touchscreen displays totals of your current collectables.
-Co-op requires two game cartridges.
-The framerate has been reduced to 30 from the 60 of the Wii version.
-Very minor graphical downgrades.

created.php

created.php

Destructoid - 10/10
Cheat Code Central - 4.9/5
Digital Chumps - 9.2/10
EuroGamer Spain - 9/10
XGN - 9/10
Game Revolution - 4.5/5
Polygon - 9/10
Meristation - 9/10
Nintendo Life - 9/10
IGN - 8.9/10
3DJuegos -8.8/10
Multiplayer.it - 8.8/10
Vandal Online - 8.7/10
IGN Italia - 8.5/10
NintendoWorldReport - 8.5/10
Game Informer - 8.5/10
InsideGamer.nl - 8.3/10
Modojo - 4/5
VideoGamer - 8/10
The Escapist - 4/5
Digital Spy - 4/5
Cubed3 - 8/10
GamesRadar - 4/5
EuroGamer - 8/10
GameSpot - 7/10
EGM - 7/10
NowGamer - 7/10

Destructoid said:
If you missed out on Donkey Kong Country Returns the first time around, or you disliked the motion-heavy controls of the original, pick up this version. With solid tactile feedback, the 3DS edition of the game has cemented itself as one of my favorite platformers of all time without question.
Polygon said:
Monster Games' 3DS version further tweaks the formula, with better controls and a new difficulty mode that feels just right. This is the best version of a densely packed, fast-paced and beautifully designed platformer.
EuroGamer said:
Donkey Kong Country Returns is a game about falling off things, goring yourself on things, squashing yourself under things and occasionally being eaten by things. So it was in 2010, and so it is now. There are worse ways to spend a weekend.
EGM said:
The meager number of additions here—including the useless 3D gimmick—aren’t enough to make this worth picking up if you played Donkey Kong Country Returns the first time around on the Wii in 2010. If it’s your first time, though, and you’re still curious about checking out Donkey Kong’s latest adventure, this is a solid port.

JoV

Really looking forward to this. Skipped the Wii version cause it's just too damn expensive to buy in Australia (still about $80 in most places), so this a new game for me.

Looks excellent.

FSLink

Banned
-The framerate has been reduced to 30 from the 60 of the Wii version.
Still disappointed about this.

I hope the people who don't care for this enjoy the game regardless if they haven't played it before. :)

zroid

Banned
nice OT

Love this game, but there's a bit too much else to pick up in the coming months, so I can't afford to double dip right now. Hopefully someday.

JeTmAn81

Best thread title. I've got this preordered from Newegg. Always wanted to play the Wii version but never found the time.

Draconian

So pumped for this! I've really wanted to play a 2D platformer on the 3DS, and this looks to be one of the best ones to start with. I can't wait for next Friday.

I never picked up the Wii version, although I heard good things about it. I have two copies of this pre-ordered so me and a friend can play together, I'm pretty excited. :)

@MUWANdo

Banned
Best Buy is giving away download codes for Super Mario Bros.: The Lost Levels as a pre-order bonus for the physical version.

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
Friday? That's kinda a weird day for a release. I missed out on the original version since I dun got a revolution, but all the better since people spoke woeful tales of its forced waggle! Got a backlog of 3DS games but still gonna give this a go once I get it!

trixx

I just got this game for the Wii and the controls are driving me crazy died more tines in the first two worlds than in the last two worlds of new super Mario bros u

Double dipping the fuck out of this. Simply my favorite 2D platformer ever :3

Also worth noting that the Dpad control scheme in DKCR3D (Y to run/grab, shoulder to waggle) is the exact same as the classic controller hack in the Wii version.

Salsa

lol best title

that $35 is tempting, but I already played through it once on Wii and Animal Crossing's comin

Neiteio

It's like a billion blocks, but I'm totally downloading this onto my 32GB SD card, along with Animal Crossing next month.

I already beat the Wii version all manly-like, so I might try the easy mode to get to the new levels quicker. Hmm.

Skyzard

Banned
One of the must-buy 3DS titles for me when I hopefully get one, looks wicked! Never played it on Wii, will save it for some handheld goodness like with Rayman.

Is the default game challenging enough? I would have hoped they added a harder mode too. Non-dlc extra levels is great.

Berordn

One of the must-buy 3DS titles for me when I hopefully get one, looks wicked! Never played it on Wii, will save it for some handheld goodness like with Rayman.

Is the default game challenging enough? I would have hoped they added a harder mode too. Non-dlc extra levels is great.

The Wii version wasn't super hard, but it did have a lot of challenging levels. Plenty of optional difficulty stuff too, in the bonus temple levels. You'll probably be fine playing on the original mode.

Neiteio

The default game is one of the most challenging platformers ever, especially if you go after everything.

Lathentar

Looking for Pants

Its far more challenging than Rayman Origins was. There is a harder mode after you beat the game (which was also in the Wii version).

The default difficulty level gets about challenging as you can reasonably expect a platformer to get without becoming frustrating, and there's an unlockable mode that dramatically ups the ante difficulty-wise. If you want a stiff but fair challenge, you've come to the right game. And there's that unlockable mode I mentioned if you really want to push yourself to the limit and possibly throw your 3DS against the wall a few times.

Top Bottom