• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Donkey Kong Country Returns 3D |OT| It's on like Dragon Kong!

Yuterald

Picked this up the other day. As someone who completely loved and annihilated the Wii version (got all Shiny Golds), I gotta say I'm a bit disappointed with this version. I feel like the game is borderline unplayable in 3D. Frame rate chugs too much for me. Since one of my favorite things about this game were the Time Trials I was eager to check them out with the new controls. Honestly, I can't stand it. I don't see how some of this is going to be possible without the waggle role. I can't even do the first level after spending an hour on it. I may be in the minority here, but I feel less in control of DK with standard controls. Maybe I just gotta spend more time with it, but after an hour or so aiming for Shiny Gold on the first level, I don't see it happening this time around. Oh well. =/

oatmeal

Banned
I bought the Wii version after reading about the not-so-great framerate.

Got it today, and plaed the first three levels. Seems solid.

Meia

Beat the game with an overall 86%. Got all KONG letters and stopped the K worlds after the fourth, so go pretty far I guess.

Man this game had some of the worst bosses I've ever seen. The early ones are fine I guess, but RNG does not equal a fun boss fight. Throw in the last one not even having a DK barrel and it can screw itself. :p

Playing through this now since I couldn't stand the waggle. Still hard, LOVE it.

Is it me, or are some Puzzle pieces ridiculously hard to find with no real clue or belief for them to ever be in their locations.

I forgot what level, but in one of the Beach levels, I had to ground slam and it bounced out of a palm tree. There isn't any clue of it being there!!

Sagitario

So, how much easier is the new mode? I completely finished the Wii one and I just got the 3DS version.
This not being 60fps [plus, small screen] and getting a bit of hand pain after extended periods of time (3D Land comes to mind) have made me wonder if I should bother with the original mode (because of how hard some of the latter levels and temples are and how obsessive/OCD I will become to finish them).

Is it me, or are some Puzzle pieces ridiculously hard to find with no real clue or belief for them to ever be in their locations.

I forgot what level, but in one of the Beach levels, I had to ground slam and it bounced out of a palm tree. There isn't any clue of it being there!!

Purchase Squawks from Cranky's Shop, he will squawk when Donkey Kong is near a puzzle piece but won't hint how to get to the pieces.

Danj

Has any kind GAFfer got a spare EU Club Nintendo code from this game they'd be prepared to part with? The So Many Games promo ends today, I just need one more code. I have Steam games to trade, or any item on Steam worth up to £7, PM if interested.

Thanks very much to Duo014 and Mr.Sam who both helped out with this!

J

Jotamide

Unconfirmed Member
Got this on release but I just got around playing it today. The game seems to be huge, no that I mind. How many world are there, 10?

StayDead

I finished this on Wii a while ago and I've been playing this on 3DS over the past week. I'm on the factory area and so far I've felt nearly everything has given me issues on Wii mode. Is it harder or am I just sucking?

It's completely kicking my ass :p

Purchase Squawks from Cranky's Shop, he will squawk when Donkey Kong is near a puzzle piece but won't hint how to get to the pieces.

Oh cool, thanks! I dunno why I felt like i would be penalized for it, but I'm guessing my profile will be marked if I use the pig asking me to press start similar to NSMB.

Im just trying to avoid all that. :)

Madouu

Finished all the main worlds and I'm trying to collect all the kong letters and
finish the K levels too
. First time playing DK here since a long while and the sense of improvement you get after playing for a while is pretty satisfying. Game is really rewarding once you get better and wrap your head around the different mechanics and DK's unique momentum.

It was really cool going back to the early levels to collect the letters and flying through them when at first I sucked really badly and kept dying over and over.

Still,
Three K levels to go + the extra bonus world
. This game has so much content and I don't even think I'll try to collect the puzzle pieces! Too many games to play... but I'll be sure to boot up the game once in a while after I finish it for some platforming goodness, that's the great thing about getting a digital version.

I think one of the most fantastic things about this game is how well and carefully it's all put together. When you begin the time trials, and attempt to shiny gold medal the levels, you really begin to appreciate and notice the amount of effort that went into enemy placement, timings, and methods to use them in a speedrun.

Sagitario

I am having trouble getting the timing for the extra airtime (higher jump/bounce) after you jump from an enemy when you have Diddy on your back.
I remember it took me a while in the Wii version, but it seems a bit harder to pull off in this one.

Oh cool, thanks! I dunno why I felt like i would be penalized for it, but I'm guessing my profile will be marked if I use the pig asking me to press start similar to NSMB.

Im just trying to avoid all that. :)
It won't, don't worry.
If you finish a level with the super guide, the level icon will remain red in the overworld (like if you had never cleared it ). If you finish the level again without using the guide, the icon will become blue, indicating you cleared the level on your own.

cube444

Hey guys. I noticed that DKCR has a "new mode" which makes it easier. Easier enough that my 6 year old niece could enjoy the game?

J

Jotamide

Unconfirmed Member
I'm in 2-4 and I just found out you can pound the barrels at the end of the levels to get extra points. What other hidden mechanics am I missing?

Glix

I finished the 8th temple today. Holy shit I need a break before the
ninth world.

Super rough getting KONG on a few of those levels in worlds 7 and 8

Sagitario

Just got to the volcano.
I love the music in this area because it reminds me so much of Metroid Prime.
Also, the game is still hard as heck!

Hey guys. I noticed that DKCR has a "new mode" which makes it easier. Easier enough that my 6 year old niece could enjoy the game?
From the OP:
jbhmEkMeWVOscP.png

Extra health, more items (like portable DK barrels), balloons that keep you from falling, crash guards for extra hits in mine cart levels and cheaper items in the shop.
The game also includes the super guide, so, if she has any problems, she can activate it.

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
I'm in 2-4 and I just found out you can pound the barrels at the end of the levels to get extra points. What other hidden mechanics am I missing?

You can press down and grab to blow. You can do this to feathers and other various objects to get extra flowers, hearts, and sometimes puzzle pieces.

Madouu

I 100% the game on Sunday, felt great. The game overall was excellent... and difficult. Finishing it was very rewarding and the whole experience was fun from start to finish.

I was a bit underwhelmed by the new levels for the 3DS version though, they felt a bit out of place and not as tightly designed as the original ones. Another reason why I'm happy Retro is developing Tropical Freeze and not some other studio.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
So I eventually double-dipped on this, have to say I am pleasantly surprised. I thought 30fps would feel worse than it does, and the visuals are almost just as good as I remember them from the Wii version.

Control wise it's awesome. Rolling with R really makes a difference with those roll jumps, and it's super nice to replay this now anyway in time to get hyped for november!!! I actually played through the whole thing 2 player with my wife on the Wii, so it's nice to get some private time with those monkeys as well! :p

I got this when it was on sale and I'm wishing I hadn't. Controls so bad that I'm longing for the waggle. 3D effect/perspective so bad it's like everything is so far away and everything is super small. This really feels like a half assed port to me.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
I got this when it was on sale and I'm wishing I hadn't. Controls so bad that I'm longing for the waggle. 3D effect/perspective so bad it's like everything is so far away and everything is super small. This really feels like a half assed port to me.

What are the problems you are having with controls? Are you using analogue or dpad?

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
d-pad. I just feel that 30FPS really negatively impacts the responsiveness of the controls.

I actually thought it would be much worse. I play it with 3D off, idk if that has any impact, because I'm not having big problems with it. I agree that the Wii version with 60fps is tighter of course.

I kinda wish that I would have played the Wii-version, but this is still the best 2d platformer ever made. This it's coming from someone who grew up with nes and snes-era platformers. I have since the galaxy games held 3d as the superior form of platformer and this is the only game that rivals that notion.

Played the Wii version all the way through to final boss and could never beat him.

Now I'm stuck on him in the 3DS version. He just feels so cheaply designed and unfair. Almost as frustrating as last boss in Jet Force Gemini.

J

Jotamide

Unconfirmed Member
I've completed the first 2 worlds and so far I'm not digging this too much. The controls are heavy and unresponsive; as far as platformers go, this ain't a Super Meat Boy for sure. The level design is challenging and I feel punished for rolling: it's like if I dare do it, a crab will come from the sand or a pit would be waiting for me. If you're gonna implement a mechanic, at least give me the right to use it. Like dashing in MMX. Also the difficulty goes from hard to very easy, no real middle ground there. Finally, I can't figure for the life of it how to time my button pressing to get bonus points for the end level barrels. I beat the 2nd boss, DK jumps in, I press X & Y like crazy, DK goes "nope" and doesn't pound it a single time. WTF?!

I'll beat 2 more worlds, if this doesn't really change, I might as well just sell it while I still can recover most of my money.

I've completed the first 2 worlds and so far I'm not digging this too much. The controls are heavy and unresponsive; as far as platformers go, this ain't a Super Meat Boy for sure. The level design is challenging and I feel punished for rolling: it's like if I dare do it, a crab will come from the sand or a pit would be waiting for me. If you're gonna implement a mechanic, at least give me the right to use it. Like dashing in MMX. Also the difficulty goes from hard to very easy, no real middle ground there. Finally, I can't figure for the life of it how to time my button pressing to get bonus points for the end level barrels. I beat the 2nd boss, DK jumps in, I press X & Y like crazy, DK goes "nope" and doesn't pound it a single time. WTF?!

I'll beat 2 more worlds, if this doesn't really change, I might as well just sell it while I still can recover most of my money.

Rolls should generally lead into roll jumps. Don't continuously roll with Diddy unless you know the level layout.

When you beat a boss you have to wait for the prompt to get more than one hit.

Physics feel great to me. The later stuff becomes incredibly demanding and DK can smoothly handle all of it. It's a different feel but doesn't hurt playability.

Sagitario

Finally got all the puzzle pieces and mirror mode last night. I really don't have any interest in time attack or mirrored levels, so I guess this is it (I felt the same with the Wii version).

The level design is so freaking good (Monster Games also did an excellent job with the new levels, they are terrific), I am so glad we are getting a sequel this year :D

J

Jotamide

Unconfirmed Member
DKCR is cheapness made game. The controls are utter trash, much much worse than Little Big Planet. At least in that game it didn't prevent me from enjoying it.

Jintor

Man most of my frustrations with the controls are with the L and R buttons because my 3DS has 'em broke lol. Seems fine otherwise.

LayLa

finished the main game yesterday, had zero problems with controls or framerate (played in 2D)
some great level design & boss battles, not a big fan of the rocket levels though.

J

Jotamide

Unconfirmed Member
After fucking HATING worlds 1 though 3 I gave this game a last chance. If world 4 was still bad I was gonna sell it. Well...let's say that it was fucking awesome did deliver. I'm praying world 5 through 8 are as good.

Tom_Cody

A few months in, what is the final verdict on Wii vs. 3DS?

I just started playing this 3DS and the game seems cramped on my XL's screen. In general I spend more gaming time on portables (subway) so I would kind of prefer to play this on the 3DS but would consider going back to the Wii version if this is truly superior.

-Can someone explain the problems with the controls in the Wii version? This is one of the main reasons I had thought to go with the 3DS version to start with.

-Are the new levels worth it?

-Are there any other worthwhile difference that I don't know about?

I just started playing this 3DS and the game seems cramped on my XL's screen. In general I spend more gaming time on portables (subway) so I would kind of prefer to play this on the 3DS but would consider going back to the Wii version if this is truly superior.

-Can someone explain the problems with the controls in the Wii version? This is one of the main reasons I had thought to go with the 3DS version to start with.

- The control problem on the Wii version entirely comes down to how well you tolerate waggle commands, shake to roll is a major issue for some but not for others, generally if you've found that you've not been bothered often by Wii games throwing in the odd motion control movement in place of a button press then you'll probably be fine.

- The new levels are fine additions, the game has a large selection of levels to begin with and these new stages take time and effort to unlock so it's perhaps worth keeping that in mind. I view the stages more as a nice bonus for those of us who already played through the original.

- Wii version runs at 60fps as opposed to the 3DS sticking around 30fps with a few drops, which is to say the Wii version runs a lot smoother.

Though if you already have the 3DS version you should just stick with it, I find that the versions are roughly equal though i'd admittedly lean in favour of the wii version, it's a shame that there's no really definitive version.

Frolow

Banned

The problem with the Wii controls was that you consistently had to waggle the Wiimote to role. A lot of people got use to the waggling after awhile but some aboslutely could not get into the game due to the waggle.

The new levels are pretty fun. They're a bit easier than the main levels but the new mechanics introduced are great.

The FPS is halved in the 3DS version if you didn't know already. You wouldn't notice it unless you've seen the Wii version in the past. The only other major difference is that there's an Easy mode in the 3DS version with more health and more helpful items.

The difference in framerate gives the Wii version a slight edge in my opinion, but if you already own the 3DS version I would just stick with that.

Tom_Cody

- The control problem on the Wii version entirely comes down to how well you tolerate waggle commands, shake to roll is a major issue for some but not for others, generally if you've found that you've not been bothered often by Wii games throwing in the odd motion control movement in place of a button press then you'll probably be fine.

- The new levels are fine additions, the game has a large selection of levels to begin with and these new stages take time and effort to unlock so it's perhaps worth keeping that in mind. I view the stages more as a nice bonus for those of us who already played through the original.

- Wii version runs at 60fps as opposed to the 3DS sticking around 30fps with a few drops, which is to say the Wii version runs a lot smoother.

Though if you already have the 3DS version you should just stick with it, I find that the versions are roughly equal though i'd admittedly lean in favour of the wii version, it's a shame that there's no really definitive version.

The problem with the Wii controls was that you consistently had to waggle the Wiimote to role. A lot of people got use to the waggling after awhile but some aboslutely could not get into the game due to the waggle.

The new levels are pretty fun. They're a bit easier than the main levels but the new mechanics introduced are great.

The FPS is halved in the 3DS version if you didn't know already. You wouldn't notice it unless you've seen the Wii version in the past. The only other major difference is that there's an Easy mode in the 3DS version with more health and more helpful items.

The difference in framerate gives the Wii version a slight edge in my opinion, but if you already own the 3DS version I would just stick with that.
Thanks guys.

I will give it another go.

I think my biggest gripe is simply that the background vs. platforms is a bit harder to distinguished than I'm used to in platforms. I'll play a few more levels and see how it goes.

Tom_Cody

I played through a few more levels. While I'm sure the 60 fps would have been nice my biggest issue is still the general feeling of crampedness in the visuals and the difficulty in distinguishing between the background and actual gameplay platforms. This is a non-issue in the NSMB games so I had sort of forgotten that this issue had always plagued prior attempts at the 2.5D platforming genre.
-

That said, I am really enjoying this. It feels like such a full experience. Count me among those who had been somewhat dubious of the value of a fourth DKC game. I am now a true believer. There are so many fun gameplay elements and gratifying secrets in every level. This really captures the fullness of the collection-based Mario 3D platformers and translates that into 2D.

It is great to play through a first time to complete the level, and then separately play through to collect everything and additionally play through on the time attack setting. I love that every level has a separate time attack mode and that they were clearly designed with this in mind. To speak of another collection-heavy platformer, one of my eternal beefs with Yoshi's Island is that each level can sort of devolve into a scavenger hunt. In YI, it can sometimes feel like there is no right way to play through a level. In DKCR, you always know how you are supposed to approach a level. First play-through and search for secrets, and then move on to trying to beat your best time without having to trudge through hidden areas you have already uncovered.

One more thing: the 3D in this is fantastic. This is another visual high markt for the 3DS.

I started playing this game, it's the first DKC game I play and I'm really loving it so far.

But I feel somewhat lost/confused by some of the game's mechanics, mainly because I've never played one before, or seen others play it, and I don't have the manual for it (my friend gifted me his 3DS XL and games, without boxes).

I watched one youtube video of someone playing the first level 1-1 and it blew my mind when I saw how he used rolling and roll jumps and it completely changed the way I play, but there are still things "I don't get" regarding hit-detection rules, timings or whatnot.

1. Is there a short tutorial/guide/breakdown I can read or watch to learn about play the game? I don't want to "cheat" or spoil anything from the game, I just want to feel confident in knowing that I'm not missing some key info or mechanic that might be hurting my enjoyment and ability with the game.

2. In Time Attack, why does the timer not reset to zero after you die in a level and are forced to restart from the beginning? Doesn't that make achieving record time difficult/impossible after you die once in a level? Only way to get the timer to reset is to hit Start > Retry > Yes to confirm, which is tedious and forces the loading screen.

3. Can I find secret paths without buying special items from the shop?

Frolow

Banned
I started playing this game, it's the first DKC game I play and I'm really loving it so far.

But I feel somewhat lost/confused by some of the game's mechanics, mainly because I've never played one before, or seen others play it, and I don't have the manual for it (my friend gifted me his 3DS XL and games, without boxes).

I watched one youtube video of someone playing the first level 1-1 and it blew my mind when I saw how he used rolling and roll jumps and it completely changed the way I play, but there are still things "I don't get" regarding hit-detection rules, timings or whatnot.

1. Is there a short tutorial/guide/breakdown I can read or watch to learn about play the game? I don't want to "cheat" or spoil anything from the game, I just want to feel confident in knowing that I'm not missing some key info or mechanic that might be hurting my enjoyment and ability with the game.

2. In Time Attack, why does the timer not reset to zero after you die in a level and are forced to restart from the beginning? Doesn't that make achieving record time difficult/impossible after you die once in a level? Only way to get the timer to reset is to hit Start > Retry > Yes to confirm, which is tedious and forces the loading screen.

3. Can I find secret paths without buying special items from the shop?

1. I would just play the game. The mechanics are pretty self explanatory. If you can beat most the K level, the level you unlock for collecting all the KONG letters in a world, then you should be good. If you still think you need help, there's a digital manual.

2. It's just poorly designed.

3. Nope, the only secret paths are unlocked through buying the keys.

1. I would just play the game. The mechanics are pretty self explanatory. If you can beat most the K level, the level you unlock for collecting all the KONG letters in a world, then you should be good. If you still think you need help, there's a digital manual.

That's what I'm doing I guess, and I just learned that you can roll indefinitely with Diddy. I only beat the first world so far because I keep replaying the levels to get all the letters, puzzle pieces, and complete the Time Attack (aiming for Silver at least).
2. It's just poorly designed.

Oh that sucks :(

3. Nope, the only secret paths are unlocked through buying the keys.

Ok that's a relief.

Thanks!

1-4 Sunset Shore... this has got to be the most beautiful thing I've seen on the 3DS. I've loved the look of this stage in trailers and videos, but I was not prepared to seeing it in 3D, the effect is sublime!

Also played the first barrel rocket level in world 2 and loved it. This game is so good.

Volotaire

1-4 Sunset Shore... this has got to be the most beautiful thing I've seen on the 3DS. I've adjusts loved the look of this stage fin trailers and videos, but I was not prepared to seeing it in 3D, the effect is sublime!

Also played the first barrel rocket level in world 2 and loved it. This game is so good.

Yeh playing this on the Wii for the first time, the first time I saw that level it blew my mind. And the jazzy remix of Jungle hijinx sure added to that atmosphere.

J

Jotamide

Unconfirmed Member
After fucking HATING worlds 1 though 3 I gave this game a last chance. If world 4 was still bad I was gonna sell it. Well...let's say that it was fucking awesome did deliver. I'm praying world 5 through 8 are as good.

World 5 did deliver as well. Now I'm actually having fun with this. Might check the bonus levels once I beat the game. :D

Top Bottom