• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Donkey Kong Country Returns 3D |OT| It's on like Dragon Kong!

Mr. Fix

Up to 3-2, and the game just keeps getting better. The K levels are really well done.

So just started it and i like it. Question about the KONG letters and puzzle pieces. Does collecting them all pay off with any extra levels or is it just collecting for collectings sake?

Collecting the KONG letters in each stage of a world unlocks that world's hidden level.

Gartooth

OK just finished all the levels in the game and unlocked mirror mode.

In terms of the 8 new levels that Monster Games added, I think they did a good job trying to replicate the DKCR style levels. I was surprised at some of the cool gameplay concepts they had, and overall they did feel like an extension of the main game.

However, I do feel that the levels on the whole lacked the polish and quality of the Retro levels. In addition they felt like a step down in terms of difficulty, so it was surprising going back to the final stage in the game (originally the final secret level in the Wii version) and being hit with a sudden difficulty spike.

Overall though the levels were very fun, I don't think they justify repurchasing the game for those that already played the Wii version and don't care to go back, but as someone who loved the original DKCR and wanted more, these levels were icing on a great cake.

JeTmAn81

Dammit. I don't think I will be able to do it. Just the KONG letters in each level are killing me and I am only in world 6.

Just take it one level at a time and be patient. Don't forget to use banana juice or the extra heart and/or have Diddy to help out when necessary.

Just completed world 6. I love the feeling of weight DK has. Very different from other platformers. Also love how the world shakes at the start of a level when he lands. (To my shame, this is actually the first Donkey Kong game I've spent a reasonable amount of time playing).

Just take it one level at a time and be patient. Don't forget to use banana juice or the extra heart and/or have Diddy to help out when necessary.

I might have to do that for the K levels. I haven't been using them for main levels.

Tendo

How does the game actually look on 3ds? Videos online make it look super jaggy and ugly. Is it that bad when you are playing? I loved it on Wii but the videos online make it look really bad. I know the 3d is great and I'm fine with 30 fps but those jaggies are scaring me off for now if it looks like that when I'm actually playing.

VanWinkle

How does the game actually look on 3ds? Videos online make it look super jaggy and ugly. Is it that bad when you are playing? I loved it on Wii but the videos online make it look really bad. I know the 3d is great and I'm fine with 30 fps but those jaggies are scaring me off for now if it looks like that when I'm actually playing.

It doesn't look GREAT, and definitely not at the level of the Wii version, but it's certainly not ugly or anything.

Jintor

Man I'm telling you: I can't play platformers on consoles anymore, only on PC or handhelds. I got to like World 4 on Wii and stopped, but when it's on my 3DS I can sneak in a level here and there.

Also: no waggling. Yessssss

zroid

Banned
So, while I was waiting for my turn to play the E3 Wii U demos at Best Buy, one of the Nintendo reps there offered me his 3DS to play something. DKCR 3D was available, so I tried it out. Only played a little bit, so my impression might not be representative of the whole game, but, honestly...

...I think I prefer the waggle controls. Don't kill me, GAF.

Why? Well, I'm not quite sure, but I think after playing the 3DS version, I just felt the pacing of the courses wasn't quite proper. Something about the cadence of waggling (Wiimote+nunchuk, not sideways Wiimote) feels satisfying and intuitive for this game and its level design. I don't know whether waggle is definitively better, but I have a new appreciation for how Retro designed its stages to make the controls feel just right. It makes the game overall more satisfying to play, in my view. I think I'm going to re-play DKCR on Wii now!

So, while I was waiting for my turn to play the E3 Wii U demos at Best Buy, one of the Nintendo reps there offered me his 3DS to play something. DKCR 3D was available, so I tried it out. Only played a little bit, so my impression might not be representative of the whole game, but, honestly...

...I think I prefer the waggle controls. Don't kill me, GAF.

Why? Well, I'm not quite sure, but I think after playing the 3DS version, I just felt the pacing of the courses wasn't quite proper. Something about the cadence of waggling (Wiimote+nunchuk, not sideways Wiimote) feels satisfying and intuitive for this game and its level design. I don't know whether waggle is definitively better, but I have a new appreciation for how Retro designed its stages to make the controls feel just right. It makes the game overall more satisfying to play, in my view. I think I'm going to re-play DKCR on Wii now!

I 100%d the game on Wii with the wiimote/nunchuk and I honestly never felt they were anything less than intuitive. I complained about it a lot before I played it, because it doesn't sound like a remotely good idea, but the controls did work very well for me and felt very tactile.

I'm not saying that my experience was the de facto experience, but for me the controls did not cause an issue. I'm looking forward to finally getting my 3DS, though - my copy of this is taunting me from the shelf.

hongcha

I just got it today and played for about an hour. Honestly it is super jaggy and not very pleasing to the eye. The framerate really sucks, it often dips BELOW 30fps, which is just unacceptable. The 3D adds nothing. Everything often feels too zoomed out, the characters and enemies too small. You really feel like you're playing a console game on a portable. Really disappointing game visually, especially when you have played something like 3D Land.

However, the game is pretty fun. So far I do not like it nearly as much as NSMB2 (one of my favorite platformers), but maybe that will change as I progress through the game.

m.i.s.

Banned
I just got it today and played for about an hour. Honestly it is super jaggy and not very pleasing to the eye. The framerate really sucks, it often dips BELOW 30fps, which is just unacceptable. The 3D adds nothing. Everything often feels too zoomed out, the characters and enemies too small. You really feel like you're playing a console game on a portable. Really disappointing game visually, especially when you have played something like 3D Land.

However, the game is pretty fun.

Yes, this has been my experience too. I've not played this game before on the Wii so I'm not complaining too much. I still find it stunning to look at and play and quite like the 3D effect. But a ground up DKC specifically for the 3DS would have been so much better. Even a tweak of the levels so it doesn't zoom out so much would've been preferable.

Went to Best Buy to try Tropical Freeze. The game looked lovely.

I really hope that game has a no-motion-control control setup. Maybe it was just because I was used to the 3DS controls but I died about 80% into 1-1 on the demo. Glad I didn't try DKCR on the Wii. I don't know if I would have persevered. I am bad enough at the game without trying to struggle with the controls.

I've been playing the game a fair bit since I got it. I'm enjoying it, for the most part. It's a well made game. The environments are gorgeous, the levels are mostly challenging and well structured. I wouldn't call it perfect though.

The Rocket riding levels. They aren't fun; they aren't challenging. They're just frustrating and dumb. They drag the game down a fair bit for me. They just feel cheap, like something I'd expect to get from Mobile games.

NIN90

I'm up to 7-1 now and I think the controls are very bad.
Just feels very sluggish and unresponsive. I don't know if it's because of the 30FPS or not because I faintly remember having the same complaint with the Wii version. I feel like I'm missing jumps all the time that I definitely should have nailed.
I would have loved to have a speed in between the slow-as-fuck regular walking speed and the way-too-fast-to-judge rolling speed.

Such a shame because I love how inventive the levels are.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
After the DKCTF announcement for the Wii U I somehow regret to having re-played this on the 3DS (I fear overexpposure to the brand and mechanics)..but I received a review code for it so...I'll be happy anyway ;D

Frost_Ace

Downloaded the game with the "so many game" promotion. Never tried the wii version before but it's SO GOOD maybe even better than 3D land.

m.i.s.

Banned
I'm up to 7-1 now and I think the controls are very bad.
Just feels very sluggish and unresponsive. I don't know if it's because of the 30FPS or not

There is definite slow down [which I initially thought was analog control related].

I want to switch to playing it on the Wii but I'm already 24 hours in.

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
You can't do a continuous roll in this game with DK and diddy like you could on the wii version. That's weird.

And those gold medal times seem IMPOSSIBLE

bangai-o

Banned
anyone think a weekly time attack challenge could work?

i was trying to figure out how to best do it. Basically we would pick a level for the week and we run through it. At the end right before you hit the barrel, you suspend the software. It will give you a screen indicating the day/date on the top right, while on the bottom left you see the your time. Take a pic of that and post it here.

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake

it looks amazing on a XL screen. Slightly worse than the Wii version, but you've got to concede something to the little machine

sure, if you've got amazingly high standards for a handheld game, you'll probably end up a bit disappointed

bangai-o

Banned
it looks amazing on a XL screen. Slightly worse than the Wii version, but you've got to concede something to the little machine

sure, if you've got amazingly high standards for a handheld game, you'll probably end up a bit disappointed

there is also the fact that looking at a handheld game on a pc screen is not going to look good. Even Vita games look like crud on a pc screen.

I wish Monster Games was doing Tropical Freeze. The new levels are just as creative as Retro's, and lack the cheapness and GOTCHA moments that Retro seems so fond of. World 9 is my favourite world in the game. Not terribly challenging, mind you, but terribly fun.

urfe

I really can't get used to how DK jumps off vines/walls etc. It's like he goes horizontally across with zero arc.

Just finished 8-7 with the KONG pieces. Just the boss fight left (unless there is some SM3DL type of twist). I think I died more in that level than in the whole of NSMB2.

I wish Monster Games was doing Tropical Freeze.

tumblr_maqd8aOEuY1qbjqln.gif

I wish Monster Games was doing Tropical Freeze. The new levels are just as creative as Retro's, and lack the cheapness and GOTCHA moments that Retro seems so fond of. World 9 is my favourite world in the game. Not terribly challenging, mind you, but terribly fun.

Uh, do we even know Monster designed those? As far as I know, Retro set aside a few people to help with DKCR3D's development meaning the new levels were probably their doing.

(Or they were already mostly created from the DKCR days.)

oatmeal

Banned
For someone who played maybe two levels on the Wii version, is this worth it or should I get the Wii one?

I hated the roll mechanic in the Wii one.

also

Banned
For someone who played maybe two levels on the Wii version, is this worth it or should I get the Wii one?

I hated the roll mechanic in the Wii one.
I avoided the Wii version due the waggling but the controls on the 3DS feel terrible. The ~30fps + frame rate drops make controlling DK feel very sluggish and imprecise. Plus the circle pad sucks compared to a proper analog stick and I can't use the D-pad because the controls are not customizable (can't use B+A to run and jump). I really regret buying it and I can't imagine the Wii version controlling worse.

Berordn

I avoided the Wii version due the waggling but the controls on the 3DS feel terrible. The ~30fps + frame rate drops make DK feel very sluggish and imprecise. Plus the circle pad sucks compared to a proper analog stick and I can't use the D-pad because the controls are not customizable (can't use B+A to run and jump). I really regret buying it and I can't imagine the Wii version controlling worse.

I'm sure it's been mentioned many times already but the Wii version's waggle is pretty innocuous. Plus if you have a homebrew enabled Wii you can map the waggle functions to other buttons and play with the Classic Controller instead, and that's also pretty great.

also

Banned
I'm sure it's been mentioned many times already but the Wii version's waggle is pretty innocuous. Plus if you have a homebrew enabled Wii you can map the waggle functions to other buttons and play with the Classic Controller instead, and that's also pretty great.
I know, but at that time I still hadn't installed the homebrew channel and then the game kind of fell of my radar. I bought the 3DS version because because I prefer portables and wanted to play the extra levels. I never really had frame rate related problems before, so I thought this version would be fine but I was so wrong. This game made me really realize how important it is to have a high and stable fps in a platformer, especially if it focuses on momentum.
I thought Nintendo cared about tight controls so it's really disappointing to see them ship the game in its current state. The graphics didn't really impress me either so the bad frame rate seem even worse.

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
I know, but at that time I still hadn't installed the homebrew channel and then the game kind of fell of my radar. I bought the 3DS version because because I prefer portables and wanted to play the extra levels. I never really had frame rate related problems before, so I thought this version would be fine but I was so wrong. This game made me really realize how important it is to have a high and stable fps in a platformer, especially if it focuses on momentum.
I thought Nintendo cared about tight controls so it's really disappointing to see them ship the game in its current state. The graphics didn't really impress me either so the bad frame rate seem even worse.

I think people should still give this a shot if they're interested. You can play this game at most 3DS kiosks at Target.

I played the entire game 100% on classic controller on the Wii. I think the game controls just as fine as it did on Wii on the 3DS d-pad. And the frame rate doesn't bother me one bit. I am just really loving playing this game on a portable and have no complaints whatsoever. If anything I prefer it because of the portability and the 3D looks great.

I say give this game a try yourself. People's opinions are very divisive on the controls and frame rate. But if you don't have a problem with either then you'll be in for a great experience. It's an amazing game and one of if not my favorite platformer of all time.

Velcro Fly

Really enjoying the game but I can't ignore the fact that it controls like absolute ass. I can't tell you how many times I've died because I did or didn't do a roll. It feels so imprecise sometimes that I want to throw my 3DS across the room.

edit: And then as soon as I say that I play a couple amazing levels in 3-3 and 3-4. 3-3 especially was fantastic.

edit2: so what the hell am I supposed to do in 3-5 with that stack of yellow things? I die every time because by that point I have like one hit left and I have no idea what to do. As if getting the O in that stage isn't awful enough.

Really enjoying the game but I can't ignore the fact that it controls like absolute ass. I can't tell you how many times I've died because I did or didn't do a roll. It feels so imprecise sometimes that I want to throw my 3DS across the room.

edit: And then as soon as I say that I play a couple amazing levels in 3-3 and 3-4. 3-3 especially was fantastic.

edit2: so what the hell am I supposed to do in 3-5 with that stack of yellow things? I die every time because by that point I have like one hit left and I have no idea what to do. As if getting the O in that stage isn't awful enough.

You'll only roll if youre moving when you press the roll button.

For the yellow biters. Bait then into toppling over and move backwards.

also

Banned
So I've been playing and I just finished the 7th world. Are any of the K levels harder than 1-K? I don't know if it was because I was still getting used to the controls (especially the timing for the 2nd jump) but I've lost more than 100 lives on that stage. The other K-levels didn't even come close in terms of difficulty

Finally completed the final boss fight. Holy Shit, what a game. That music!

Got All the KONG letters. Would that have counted as 100% in the original game? I don't have the patience (and the skill) to play through the K levels. Will stop here. Would have been nice to play World 9 though.

Also, I can't seem to find it in iTunes or elsewhere. Was an OST ever released?

Finally completed the final boss fight. Holy Shit, what a game. That music!

Got All the KONG letters. Would that have counted as 100% in the original game? I don't have the patience (and the skill) to play through the K levels. Will stop here. Would have been nice to play World 9 though.

100% is every level in the game. The final level in DKCR3D's world 9 was originally unlocked in the Wii version by beating all K levels.

If you are playing new mode, you can buy orbs from each world's shop which will count as beating that world's K level.

100% is every level in the game. The final level in DKCR3D's world 9 was originally unlocked in the Wii version by beating all K levels.

If you are playing new mode, you can buy orbs from each world's shop which will count as beating that world's K level.

I played it in the original mode. I might do new mode some other time and buy the orbs to play world 9. I am just happy I completed the game. I was so tempted to buy banana potions for the final boss but I resisted.

Thanks.

Top Bottom