• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Donkey Kong Country Returns 3D |OT| It's on like Dragon Kong!

addyb

Oh my god 4-3 is kicking my ass. AHHHH

I surprisingly did it on my 3rd attempt. I did however do it around 30 times on the Wii though Lol. Not got all the jigsaw pieces on it though. There is one part that confuses me. How do I get to the lower part of the track where I can see a jigsaw piece? Its almost like I have to jump off unsighted off the bottom of the screen to land on a bottom rail or something.

cjkeats

I surprisingly did it on my 3rd attempt. I did however do it around 30 times on the Wii though Lol. Not got all the jigsaw pieces on it though. There is one part that confuses me. How do I get to the lower part of the track where I can see a jigsaw piece? Its almost like I have to jump off unsighted off the bottom of the screen to land on a bottom rail or something.
I've died at least 30+ times already. I think I know the pice you're talking about. I can't see anywhere to even change tracks.

Mr-Joker

Banned
Level 4-5 is a royal pain that can just get lost, went in the level with 81 lives and finished it with 51 lives remaining. Worse part is that I am going to have to go back since I didn't get all the Kong letters and Jigsaw pieces. ;_;

Also does anyone get annoyed when the games tells you to take a break after playing long period of times?

I wonder why the sound level is so low in this game, headphones, external speakers......it's all so low.

Anyhow, love the game for my second trip through ;-)

Raptomex

After beating this I think I can honestly say I like the Wii version better. However, the controls here are superior thanks to no "waggling". But the 60 frames and playing on the big screen is more preferable to me. Still an amazing game and I'm glad to have it on the go.

Coolwhip

Banned
Damn, I'm loving this game. I didn't know the 3DS could do these kind of visuals. And music is so damn good. Make sure you play this game with headphones on. Retro did an awesome job, the gameplay is fun and everything is so polished.

Draconian

Yeah 5-8 is terrible. Not only is there AI chasing you but it's also AI that seems to accelerate whenever you slow down? Give me a break.

KONG letters in 4-3 were a cakewalk compared to 4-5 for me. K,O are OK, the rest are crazy. I was down to almost 20 balloons before I got 10 from the end of the level barrel.

Do you guys buy balloons at Cranky Kong's shop? I think I might have to face that ignominy.

Draconian

I don't get 5-K at all. It's not giving me any of the bounces off of the platforms and I'm hitting the button exactly the same place I always hit it. It's freaking annoying.

EDIT: Ah yes, yet another level that has an over inflated difficulty due to the lack of Diddy at the beginning. Annoying.

Finally got to and finished all the new Cloud/World 9 levels.

While they're considerably easier than most of the main game, they're still fun and mostly creative levels in their own right and, impressively, have their own original gimmicks that are not seen in the rest of the game. These are definitely not just remixed, copy-and-paste type levels, and if Monster Games truly designed these from the ground up themselves, then kudos to them - they've got some talent over there.

I'd still say the first eight worlds mostly overshadow them quality and content-wise, and you're not missing anything absolutely essential (well, except for one level) if you decided not to double-dip. But they're certainly fun in their own right, and are a nice little something extra for those who've played the original Wii version.

9-5 (the Forest level) was absolutely the highlight of the new stages for me,
because I'm a sucker for music-based platforming levels, and this one is awesome
. 9-4 also has a neat twist that I rather enjoyed, and 9-7 was particularly interesting, fun, and creative. If there's one new level I felt was particularly weak/forgettable, it's 9-6... it just wasn't very fun and was pretty basic, by-the-books platforming for the most part.

Overall, though, I'm really glad I double-dipped, new levels or not. I had just as much fun playing through it again on the 3DS as I did the first time on the Wii, and the brilliantly layered 3D visuals almost made it feel like a whole new game. Plus, playing with headphones really helps the excellent soundtrack stand out!

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
After beating this I think I can honestly say I like the Wii version better. However, the controls here are superior thanks to no "waggling". But the 60 frames and playing on the big screen is more preferable to me. Still an amazing game and I'm glad to have it on the go.

More or less my thoughts. It's a weird in-between, because the extra levels in the 3DS version are great (a proper world nine is very welcome), and button controls are superior. And stereo 3D looks gorgeous. But the rock solid 60fps and resolution have the Wii version edge out the 3DS version to me. That 60fps is such a deliberate design related technicality that, at half the performance, just feels completely regressive and unsupportive to the kind of level design and game pacing DKCR enforces.

So yeah. Masterful game, but where DKCR was a 9/10 for me, DKCR3D is an 8/10.

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
KONG letters in 4-3 were a cakewalk compared to 4-5 for me. K,O are OK, the rest are crazy. I was down to almost 20 balloons before I got 10 from the end of the level barrel.

Do you guys buy balloons at Cranky Kong's shop? I think I might have to face that ignominy.

I'm currently in world 8, which is a bitch btw, and must have bough about 190 balloons from him. I wasted 30 lives on 8-2 alone, that level is INSANE

one of the great things about this game is auto-saving puzzle pieces. Without that, I woulda lost even more lives

heringer

More or less my thoughts. It's a weird in-between, because the extra levels in the 3DS version are great (a proper world nine is very welcome), and button controls are superior. And stereo 3D looks gorgeous. But the rock solid 60fps and resolution have the Wii version edge out the 3DS version to me. That 60fps is such a deliberate design related technicality that, at half the performance, just feels completely regressive and unsupportive to the kind of level design and game pacing DKCR enforces.

Agree. Though to be fair it's the kind of game I rather play on handhelds.

Raptomex

I think I found the 3DS version easier. The Wii version felt much more fast paced. Maybe because of the 30 frames. I should mention I'm playing through on original mode. I definitely died a lot more in the Wii version, though.

Frolow

Banned
Finished collecting all the KONG letters in mirror mode. It didn't do anything besides change the star symbol on your save from red to blue. However, I've yet to beat the final boss and bonus levels in mirror mode. 'm curious to see if doing that unlocks anything in conjunction with the KONG letters.

Mr. Fix

My god, that 1-K. It hurts so good.

Are there any penalties for losing all your balloons? I received 4 more when I lost my batch.

I'm liking the first world, and getting the KONG letters was pretty easy for the first world except on 1-6. I love the controls, and I luckily don't notice the difference between 30/60fps. Sunset Shore's pretty damn pleasing to play through.

Bulbasaur

Banned
In my opinion its just not the same without the Kremlings and King K Rool etc.

Was there ever a reason given why they were omitted?

Murrah

Banned
welpj.jpg

Second time doing it, never again. I only recommend it if you hate yourself

On a more positive note the new levels, which I mostly dismissed on the regular run through, seemed more balanced for mirror mode. I dunno if that was on purpose, but I definitely appreciated them more mirror'd

I still think Wii version is better, but this was damn close so it doesn't really matter anyway

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
So like a week later my rage has soothed. Still to heck with that final boss. To heck with all the bosses besides maybe the third one! After lotsa fun playing through the levels each world an eventually the game ended on a mega sour note cause of these unfun jerks. I'm not anti-bosses, just anti-bosses that suck! 10 hours 46 minutes ta beat the game an 60-some percent complete. I'd have checked out all of those keylocked levels I initially passed over buy my entire supply of coins got knocked down to 0 by the final boss an I didn't feel like grinding out coins to open other levels. At least the next time I pickup the game I won't have ta worry about bosses so it'll be smooth fun sailing from here! Totally a really great game overall!

RM8

I was weak willed and I bought this game.

I'm enjoying it so much on 3DS for some reason even if it's the same game, I really can't hide the fact that I enjoy handhelds way more than home consoles. 3D is great, can't wait to reach the new levels. Really glad I got this!

I'm currently in world 8, which is a bitch btw, and must have bough about 190 balloons from him. I wasted 30 lives on 8-2 alone, that level is INSANE

one of the great things about this game is auto-saving puzzle pieces. Without that, I woulda lost even more lives

feel your pain.

i am now on 8-4. wasted so many lives on 8-2 and 8-3.

JeTmAn81

I finally beat 9-9! It was a long journey but a lot of fun. This is a great platformer and I'm glad I was finally able to play it. Some of the levels are diabolically hard but rarely felt unfair. Managing to snag all the KONG letters in a rocket or minecart level or barely skating through the end of a temple level gives a real old-school sensr of satisfaction.

Stuneseht

Stage 6-K took me forever to beat... Because i refused to bring diddy with me. I actually had to beat the stage twice just to collect all the puzzle pieces. I'm so glad the developers had mercy on us player by not requiring us to collect all puzzle pieces in one session- like the KONG letters.

Also, it's amazing how different the game plays when you dont have Diddy alongside with you.

I'm waiting for my code to download this right now. I'll probably be served divorce papers when the Best Buy credit card bill comes in but I just CAN'T not play this any longer...

...even though I technically already own it on the Wii. I'm a hopeless Nintendo sheep. And I'm fine with that.

Gartooth

Decided to pick this up a couple of days ago despite having played the ever living hell out of it on the Wii, and right now I'm in world 5.

Game is just as good as I remember. I definitely prefer the controls to the Wii version, however I never had an issue with waggle on the Wii so while obviously button controls are a preference, I'm able to manage either way.

In terms of how the game looks, the Wii version blows this one away not only in terms of framerate, but I also remember the textures looking better on the Wii version.

Still haven't gotten to the new levels but I'm looking forward to them, it was the main reason I picked up the game considering I don't want to play on easy mode. (I practically got 100% on the Wii version a few puzzle pieces aside, so playing through this again isn't too challenging)

Overall, game is still as good as I remember. Right now I would say the Wii version is superior given it's better presentation (and I'm indifferent to the difficulty changes) but considering I have yet to play the bonus levels I'm leaving my judgment for the 3DS port up in the air. (it's still excellent though)

isny

napkin dispenser
Should I tough through the last boss in Volcano to get to the ninth zone? Or should I just give up, lol

The ultimate final boss tip:
You can actually bounce on the hands without taking damage when they prepare for the clap making evasion of that usually strict move incredibly easier.

Frolow

Banned
Should I even attempt to get shining gold medals for every stage? I've managed to get them in some of the rocket barrel and mine cart stages, but those don't require nearly the same amount of optimization as the pure platforming levels do.

VanWinkle

I gave in and got this, despite having the Wii version. I'm enjoying it, but it constantly reminds me of how much I hate the small screen and how horribly uncomfortable the OG 3DS is. I seriously hate it. I don't like using the circle pad for 2D platformers and it doesn't grip well, but the dpad is in a horrible spot that cramps my hands. Plus, why is there a separate control scheme for circle pad and dpad? Why not just multiple control schemes and you can use either circle pad or dpad?

So just started it and i like it. Question about the KONG letters and puzzle pieces. Does collecting them all pay off with any extra levels or is it just collecting for collectings sake?

Top Bottom