• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Donkey Kong Country Returns |OT| Retro Studios Has Done It Again!

Sinthetic

Nocturnowl said:
The games percentage scale exceeds 100% and goes to 200%, 100% itself is pretty respectable though and certainly an achievement. Now if you collected everything, did mirror mode on every stage and as a bonus got shiny gold medals for all stages than it's far more than simply being an achievement. I sure as hell can't, those unseen images in the gallery torment me, damn you mirror mode!

Honestly, I was over it by the time I completed the original mode once. Damn you backlogs!

That's sometimes the problem with going above and beyond with completion, instead of remembering the game for the amazingness that it was, you shudder at the thought of ever touching it again. I'm happy with the former.

I would never be able to do 200% because of certain mirror mode bosses (Colonel Pluck would cause me insanity with only one heart) and the idea of jagged jewels in said mode actually terrifies me. I got to about 170% and i'm too impatient for the time trials due to the odd reloading/retry method.
DK games always have some insane criteria for max completion, it's like how I've got full completion of DKC 2 and 3 but you can get the percent number even higher by using the hard modes, yeah I'm fine with 102%, you can keep 105%.
I did manage the full works for DK64, Jungle Beat and Jungle Climber since they have no higher difficulty criteria for a higher percentage like the previously mentioned games (JC was fiendish with its extra stages though, never again!)

Haunted

Amazing game, but I'll never understand why they removed on-the-spot rolling.

It didn't outright ruin the game for me, but it comes damn close when I'm about to tackle those tough levels. Really surprised that Retro let that design decision slip through.

Murrah

Banned
Nocturnowl said:
I would never be able to do 200% because of certain mirror mode bosses (Colonel Pluck would cause me insanity with only one heart) and the idea of jagged jewels in said mode actually terrifies me.

Hahaha, those are the exact two areas when I was running through mirror mode that caused me to almost lose it, with the world 6 boss coming in right behind. I vividly remember spending well over an hour on each of those stages at like three in the morning during winter break last year and swearing after I got 200% that I'd never even think about entering Mirror Mode again. But after seeing your post I actually do wanna replay it now, 200%ing it was one of the most fulfilling times I've ever had playing a game

Levyne

Banned
Murrah said:
Hahaha, those are the exact two areas when I was running through mirror mode that caused me to almost lose it, with the world 6 boss coming in right behind. I vividly remember spending well over an hour on each of those stages at like three in the morning during winter break last year and swearing after I got 200% that I'd never even think about entering Mirror Mode again. But after seeing your post I actually do wanna replay it now, 200%ing it was one of the most fulfilling times I've ever had playing a game

Wow, 200%? I beat the game and had to put it away. Not because I didn't like it, but because simply BEATING the game was a challenge for me.

Bravo, good sir.

Murrah said:
Funny thing is that I was planning to mention Thugly along with those two examples myself. If you do replay it you can just stick to the standard game so you don't crack, i'd say you've proven enough! though it feels a bit weird having the jetpack back after playing a bunch of stages on mirror mode, I felt like i'd finally mastered the weighty control of DK and then Diddy throws that right off with his tempting extra bit of air traversal and trickier bounce timing.

World 4 boss is such bullshit in mirror mode. I think his last phase is completely random, and one hit will do you in.

Jagged Jewels? No problem. But I can't handle randomness like that when it's one hit to kill.

Takuan

I just picked up a Wii late last week, and this was the first game I loaded up - just wonderful. The remixed music really brought back some memories.

I wish I had a display for dedicated Wii use, however, as the game doesn't look as it should on my LCD. Maybe component cables will help, but I'm doubting they'll do much. I need to find out what sort of displays they use for Wii demo stations and buy one of my own. Or maybe I'll just play on CRT.

At least it doesn't look as bad as Monster Hunter Tri (which, IQ issues aside, is also quite the romp).

Aeana

I started a replay last night. I don't know if it's just because I'm coming off of Sonic Generations, which I didn't like, but the game feels even more incredible to me now than it did the first time. I'm up to the forest area (5?), just got the -K and -B levels left to do, and have 100%ed everything so far. Such fun.

boiled goose

good with gravy
This game is great, but some key design decisions prevent it from being perfect.

No CC control option. (make it an option retro! that way you can play with standard wii controls and ppl cant complain about the forced waggle, which was honestly terrible)

rocket and cart levels should not be 1 hit = dead. it should be like in previous games where if u have an extra kong you can get hit twice. This would have greatly greatly reduced the tediousness and trial-and-error nature of those levels.

So, after dying ~60 times, I've come to the conclusion that the final section of Crowded Cavern (4-5) is pretty much the most asshole thing ever.

So, after dying ~60 times, I've come to the conclusion that the final section of Crowded Cavern (4-5) is pretty much the most asshole thing ever.
It certainly feels that way until you notice the rhythm (or pattern) to the shockwave blasts, the world 7 boss will always be the most asshole thing in the game to me, that guy doesn't even stick to a pattern half the time!

Nabs

You mean the part where you just follow the bananas? If it's that tough to beat, just take a break.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
This game is pretty incredible. The level design is so well-thought, so sofisticated...it's unbelievable what Retro did with this game. Unbelievable.

Yeah, I would've opted for water levels with mandatory Enguarde instead of rocket barrel levels. Only 'major' thing I have against Returns really.

Phatcorns

Anyone who uses the Classic controller mod, do you know if there is a way to modify the code to allow for the analog stick to be used instead of the dpad?

I softmodded my Wii to play Xenoblade and have the Gecko OS on it. Is there a way to get the control mod that way? If so, how? I'd love to give this game a try again.

Alucard

Banned
I started this tonight, and just finished the first world. This game feels FUN. It has SNES charm written all over it, and it's beautiful. I have no clue how I missed some of the puzzle pieces in some of these levels, as I thought I'd been pretty thorough.

Anyway, I love the pacing, exploration, control, and everything else.

Torraz

I already have Fire Emblem and Monster hunter. The free game I want is Animal Crossing.

I'm not sure on the third game to qualify for the free game though. I am thinking of getting either this game, Donkey Kong Country Returns, or Luigis Mansion.

Any opinions?

Sakujou

Banned
HEY, i spotted a few days ago someone via streetpass who had donkey kong country returns 3ds in Germany, Hamburg.

HOW IS THIS POSSIBLE!?!?!

addyb

Good to see its getting solid reviews. Really looking forward to it as I never completed the Wii version.

Its also the 3rd game for the promotion (have Luigi's and Fire Emblem)

Animal crossing freebie. :)

Joei

I just bought this game and started playing it last night, and wow, it was really fun. I'm at then end of the 1st world and think the visuals look amazing. The Sunset level was super cool and my favorite of the ones I played. As I was playing, I was thrown back into my 13 year old self playing the first DKC, lol.

And off topic, but when I was playing I couldn't help but think that Retro would make a killer Mega Man game.

Drencrom

Meant to post this here:

So yeah, playing DKC:R at the moment and the waggling controls are pretty damn shitty imho (dislike motion-controls in general). I've heard there is a mod that removes the waggle and maps the attacks to a button, can anyone link or share it with me if so?

Joey Fox

Self-Actualized Member
Just picked this game up for Wii, even though I didn't like the original trilogy. I may have to revisit that now as this game is awesome.

I just spent an hour mastering the platforming level of the jungle, and I'm all stocked up on balloons, lives and jumping skills!

3DS version or Wii version should be played? I'm not a fan of motion controls, but I'm hearing that regardless of 3D turned on or not the 3DS version is always 30 fps.

Edit: Nevermind, going with the Wii Version

Top Bottom