• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze |OT| There's always money in the banana stand

Replayed this over the weekend.

1. Fuck Bopopolis
2. 2nd best game of the year behind Bayonetta 2 re-confirmed
3. Fuck Bopopolis

It's ok, Bopopolis never had a chance against Cliffside Slide anyway.

Randomly got sick yesterday so I'm gonna start Bayonetta 2 today. Been reading a lot about it and the situation seems eerily close to DKCR/TF. Returns/Bayonetta 1 both have amazing core gameplay with a few unrelated issues that bring the experience down (Returns' presentation, Bayo's QTEs and genre switches), while the sequels seem to iron that stuff out. I'm thinking Bayo 2 is going to be a vast, vast improvement for me.

Bayonetta is a top 10 all-time game for me, so when I say "I actually can't go back to Bayonetta 1 after playing 2 so extensively with all its various improvements, big and small, subtle and obvious", it means something

It's ok, Bopopolis never had a chance against Cliffside Slide anyway.

Randomly got sick yesterday so I'm gonna start Bayonetta 2 today. Been reading a lot about it and the situation seems eerily close to DKCR/TF. Returns/Bayonetta 1 both have amazing core gameplay with a few unrelated issues that bring the experience down (Returns' presentation, Bayo's QTEs and genre switches), while the sequels seem to iron that stuff out. I'm thinking Bayo 2 is going to be a vast, vast improvement for me.

I actually was ever so slightly disappointed in Bayo 2. But then again, I didn't love the first game the way most people did. I was hoping Bayo 2 would be as good or exceed what I feel are P+'s greatest efforts, TW101 and Vanquish, but to no avail. It's still a great game and will probably be in the middle of my top 10, but Tropical Freeze is still at the top for me. The Evil Within is right behind it, and the only games left that have a shot at dethroning it are Sunset Overdrive, which I'm not sure I'll even get to play this year, or Captain Toad.

I fear Tropical Freeze will barely make the 11-20 bracket.

isJHXRO93nZkA.gif

If W101's "how do I play this game this sucks" brand of gameplay can make #13 last year with TLOU, Bioshock Infinite, GTAV, SM3DW and Zelda sucking all the votes, then surely Tropical Freeze can make it in a weaker field with no true heavyweights for GAF crown.

xtortionist

what reason would I have to overhype a game past its potential and reasonable worth

to troll nocturnowl?

no
Such commitment all for me, I'm touched.

I fear Tropical Freeze will barely make the 11-20 bracket.
Fortunately for DKC most hyped titles this year either under delivered to various degrees or got delayed into next year so that leaves the top 10 like anyone's game right now, the power of Dong Expansion will overcome those who gripe about 2D retail release platformers in 2014.
I have faith in GAF, like when they re-voted on 2008 to right the wrongs of the past, hang on MGS4 won that once again, well shit, Ground Zeroes Game of the Year confirmed.

Ground Zeroes is really fantastic but all it really did is make me more hyped for TPP. But goddamn, TPP is gonna be amazing.

I think Dark Souls 2 will come out swinging in a big way. It's still one of the highest rated games of the year and seemed to have a very broad appeal on GAF. If I was a betting man (I live in Vegas, so what the heck), DS2 is what I'd go with right now.

Beyond that, no idea. Bayo 2/Tropical Freeze/MK8/Shovel Knight/Smash are all A+ but...Nintendo platforms. Wolfenstein is pretty great but I'm not sure if the appeal is there to boost it up. I suppose I can see Shadow of Mordor doing quite well.

Goty 2014 is going to be a madhouse.

Such commitment all for me, I'm touched.

Fortunately for DKC most hyped titles this year either under delivered to various degrees or got delayed into next year so that leaves the top 10 like anyone's game right now, the power of Dong Expansion will overcome those who gripe about 2D retail release platformers in 2014.
I have faith in GAF, like when they re-voted on 2008 to right the wrongs of the past, hang on MGS4 won that once again, well shit, Ground Zeroes Game of the Year confirmed.

Sadly, I don't. Off the top of my head, these are the games I see being ahead of TF:

Mario Kart 8
Bayonetta 2
Super Smash Bros. Wii U
Dark Souls 2
Wolfenstein: The New Order
Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes
Destiny
Shadows of Mordor
Sunset Overdrive
Assassins Creed: Unity
Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare
Far Cry 4

And if they count, the next gen ports of The Last of Us and Grand Theft Auto V. I'd like to be wrong but I see Tropical Freeze around the 15 spot or so.

Ground Zeroes is really fantastic but all it really did is make me more hyped for TPP. But goddamn, TPP is gonna be amazing.

I think Dark Souls 2 will come out swinging in a big way. It's still one of the highest rated games of the year and seemed to have a very broad appeal on GAF. If I was a betting man (I live in Vegas, so what the heck), DS2 is what I'd go with right now.

Beyond that, no idea. Bayo 2/Tropical Freeze/MK8/Shovel Knight/Smash are all A+ but...Nintendo platforms. Wolfenstein is pretty great but I'm not sure if the appeal is there to boost it up. I suppose I can see Shadow of Mordor doing quite well.

Goty 2014 is going to be a madhouse.
I keep forgetting Dark Souls 2 is a thing that happened, which is odd seeing that it's still likely to end up in the middle of my list, yeah despite some of the backlash it's seen it's still a top contender, after all Bioshock Infinite last year garnered many a negative thread and still sailed into the top 3 amongst stiff competition.
Tropical Freeze probably has more competition from its own console than anything else, Mario Kart has that broad appeal and Smash has that tenacious fanbase, unlike 2008 both are also not breaking the fan bases this time it seems

Sadly, I don't. Off the top of my head, these are the games I see being ahead of TF:

*list*

And if they count, the next gen ports of The Last of Us and Grand Theft Auto V. I'd like to be wrong but I see Tropical Freeze around the 15 spot or so.
Nah I don't really have faith so to speak either and less so looking at the list among remembering other dark horse candidates but it's not so much about the ranking for me (after all I'm like never really in line with most of it anyway), it's about those write ups.

At least Tropical Freeze looks good for Soundtrack of the Year though right?

Yeah, I can see Dark Souls 2 coming in at top 3 on a fair number of lists, and I think it'll be mid-top 10 on the majority of lists. That game was huge when it came out. Consistency is what's going to get it up there, similar to Metal Gear Rising last year.

It'll be a fucking crime if Tropical Freeze doesn't win soundtrack of the year, but it's a Wii U game so we're gonna have to all hold hands and say a prayer or something.

edit - to expand:

While Shovel Knight's OST is incredible, Tropical Freeze's dwarfs it in size. Transistor was pretty good but nobody played it. Smash is/will be fantastic, though I'd feel a bit dirty voting for an OST that's almost all remixes. Wolfenstein's was nice but I could barely hear it.

edit 2 - Hotline Miami 2 definitely has a shot but god knows when we'll play it.

Nah I don't really have faith so to speak either and less so looking at the list among remembering other dark horse candidates but it's not so much about the ranking for me (after all I'm like never really in line with most of it anyway), it's about those write ups.

At least Tropical Freeze looks good for Soundtrack of the Year though right?

It had better... Honestly it's the only game I played this year to have a stand out soundtrack. Bayonetta 2's was pretty good, but not nearly as memorable as all those delicious TF songs.

Underrated Tropical Freeze tracks, go. Because I'm tired of niggas linking to the same 3-4 songs(grassland groove, Amiss Abyss, Twilight Terror-stickbrush symphony, fruit factory)

Personally, I like how un-melodic Emmentaler Stollen is

Lunar15

I think DKC:TF is probably the only time I actually had a beef with reviewers giving a game the cold shoulder. I still don't really get why it got shrugged off by so many outlets. Artistically incredible, gameplay that was fun and varied until the end, and that fucking soundtrack.

I think DKC:TF is probably the only time I actually had a beef with reviewers giving a game the cold shoulder. I still don't really get why it got shrugged off by so many outlets. Artistically incredible, gameplay that was fun and varied until the end, and that fucking soundtrack.

Yeah, it was weird. Most reviewers acknowledged it improved upon Returns, but gave it a lower score. Personally I feel it's Retro's 2nd/3rd best game behind Prime, tied with Corruption.

Neiteio

Replayed this over the weekend.

1. Fuck Bopopolis
2. 2nd best game of the year behind Bayonetta 2 re-confirmed
3. Fuck Bopopolis
Oh man, Bopopolis drove me crazy. Ultimately, I developed a rhythm that allowed me to sail through it without trouble, but I bet if I were to go back now I'd have to learn it all over again. Incredible sense of accomplishment when you beat it, though. I actually consider it one of the game's best levels.

And yes, I'm currently 1) Bayonetta 2 and 2) DKC:TF with my GOTY rankings, as well. :)

Yeah, it was weird. Most reviewers acknowledged it improved upon Returns, but gave it a lower score. Personally I feel it's Retro's 2nd/3rd best game behind Prime, tied with Corruption.

I agree.

imo

1. Prime
2. TF
3. Echoes/Corruption (tie - Corruption is the most immediately playable and enjoyable, while Echoes is deeper and more demanding, though much more satisfying because of it)
5. Returns

All are 9.0+ for me.

Retro ranking? I got to use tiers for this one

Prime
Tropical Freeze

Middle
Prime 2
DKCR

Bottom
Prime 3
Kiddy Kong's K.Rool Konundrum

It'll be a fucking crime if Tropical Freeze doesn't win soundtrack of the year, but it's a Wii U game so we're gonna have to all hold hands and say a prayer or something.

edit - to expand:

While Shovel Knight's OST is incredible, Tropical Freeze's dwarfs it in size. Transistor was pretty good but nobody played it. Smash is/will be fantastic, though I'd feel a bit dirty voting for an OST that's almost all remixes. Wolfenstein's was nice but I could barely hear it.

edit 2 - Hotline Miami 2 definitely has a shot but god knows when we'll play it.
I figured Hotline Miami was set to be the main rival but it seems to have subtly stepped into next year.
Still waiting on Shovel Knight's release over here, I think it's just one more week now.
I'm not even sure what I'd put as my 2nd an 3rd place right now, it feels like most games I've played have had a heavy dosage of remixes as well.

Underrated Tropical Freeze tracks, go. Because I'm tired of niggas linking to the same 3-4 songs(grassland groove, Amiss Abyss, Twilight Terror-stickbrush symphony, fruit factory)

Personally, I like how un-melodic Emmentaler Stollen is
Is Mountain Mania underrated? I want to believe it's not but I don't see I brought up much and it's like the jauntiest of festival polka made to fit a Rhino knocking shit to bits, which is to say a wonderful combination.

Frosty Fruits is the champ remix/half remix, cooler than Bashmaster's toenails, fave five material but everyone's always banging on about this stickerbush stuff.

And you've already tackled Baobab Bonanza so yeah, it's like DKC3 Eveline Fisher by way of David Wise.

I do wonder if the disappointment factor of the games reveal for some just spilt over into some reviews, I'm learning from every Retro thread around here and no doubt those in the future as well that the butts are still well and truly hurting for some over a year later, some of the reviews don't even try to hide the fucking Donkey Kong factor (hey there Eurogamer how ya doin?).
A case of being judged for what it's not as opposed to what it is? I'd add something about it being an iterative sequel but so is like every big Wii U game this year and few were actually knocked for it, so basically Retro should have reskinned the game to be Super Mario Country and watch the praise roll in, those claims of unfair difficulty morphing into genius enemy placement and exceptional difficulty curve, oh crumbs I'm only half joking here.

jnWake

Obligatory

2441610-0680281564-tumbl.png

Someone at NOA probably felt similar!

Orgen

I'm sitting here at 196% and only 2 stages left to beat in hard mode (final boss and 6-K).

I've got all the puzzle pieces, KONG letters (red and blues) but no time attack medals... and I'm still missing 6 images ¿?¿? (they're locked). Will they be unlocked when I beat the 2 stages I've got left? Is 200% the final number? Do I have to get the gold medals in time attack mode to get the images?

Thanks in advance!

P.S: Tropical Freeze will make top 10 in the GOTY list, for sure.

I'm sitting here at 196% and only 2 stages left to beat in hard mode (final boss and 6-K).

I've got all the puzzle pieces, KONG letters (red and blues) but no time attack medals... and I'm still missing 6 images ¿?¿? (they're locked). Will they be unlocked when I beat the 2 stages I've got left?

Yes.

6-K is by far the toughest stage in Hard Mode. Good luck!

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Tropical Freeze will make GOTY for sure.

It's a goddamn masterpiece.

Orgen

Yes.

6-K is by far the toughest stage in Hard Mode. Good luck!

Thanks! I'm beating the stages in order (except world 7) and last night I lost 20 lives trying to beat this 2 stages... I think I'll suffer more with the last boss and his damned broken hitbox. Just writing it makes my blood boil brbrbr hahaha

6-K won't be easy but with Dixie (best Kong hands down) I'll beat it tonight for sure!

Not necessarily the most difficult stage but I lost a tens of lives in the autumn falling leaves stage. I don't remember the name or the number but I'll never forget my frustration playing it :|

Thanks! I'm beating the stages in order (except world 7) and last night I lost 20 lives trying to beat this 2 stages... I think I'll suffer more with the last boss and his damned broken hitbox. Just writing it makes my blood boil brbrbr hahaha

6-K won't be easy but with Dixie (best Kong hands down) I'll beat it tonight for sure!

Not necessarily the most difficult stage but I lost a tens of lives in the autumn falling leaves stage. I don't remember the name or the number but I'll never forget my frustration playing it :|

Sorry, But I had to laugh at this. 20 lives isn't anything close to suffering in a platformer. Try going through about 400 lives over 3+ hours on a single stage in 1001 Spikes like I did yesterday. :p. Finally beat that shit though.

jnWake

Yeah 20 lives is nothing. I think I lost hundreds of lives in Champion's Road in Super Mario 3D World (and I did it with all 5 characters and no power-ups... I was a bit crazy back then!).

Orgen

Sorry, But I had to laugh at this. 20 lives isn't anything close to suffering in a platformer. Try going through about 400 lives over 3+ hours on a single stage in 1001 Spikes like I did yesterday. :p. Finally beat that shit though.

Yeah 20 lives is nothing. I think I lost hundreds of lives in Champion's Road in Super Mario 3D World (and I did it with all 5 characters and no power-ups... I was a bit crazy back then!).

Hahaha yeah, 20 lives is not a lot. But it's not the same losing 20 lives in DK:TF (redoing the whole stage) than losing 20 lives in Super Meat Boy for example.

I was just playing for one hour, so 20 lives seemed a lot to me in that time. And I probably lost a lot more than 20 lives because I was getting more lives while I was trying to beat the 6-K. Finally I beat the stage last night but the final boss kicked my ass again :/ I'll try to beat him tomorrow!

I think Mario 3D world counts the lives lost right? And I think my number was in the hundreds too... Champion's road is my next objective!

Pila

Yeah, I feel you. You can't be bitter about a game because it's not something else, it doesn't make sense. Tropical Freeze is maybe the best platform game on the Wii U and, well, it's not like they had no opponents. I rarely read reviews these days so I personally don't care but it's bad for sales when they do that. If you don't feel like reviewing games, make an article about Nintendo and their choice to make a lot of platform games, those get heavily clicked.

Yeah, I feel you. You can't be bitter about a game because it's not something else, it doesn't make sense. Tropical Freeze is maybe the best platform game on the Wii U and, well, it's not like they had no opponents. I rarely read reviews these days so I personally don't care but it's bad for sales when they do that. If you don't feel like reviewing games, make an article about Nintendo and their choice to make a lot of platform games, those get heavily clicked.

How it has a lower average than Rayman Legends, New Super Mario Bros. U, AND fucking Trine 2 is just embarrassing.

bumpkin

Yeah, I'm very LTTP, but I finally beat the game last night. Still gotta go back to try and track down missing puzzle pieces and all that to get to stages I missed, but all in all, damn, awesome game! All of the little touches from DK's hidden idle animations (playing DS games) to the ways they transition from mine cart or rocket barrel segments back into standard gameplay are brilliant and made me smile. I was actually surprised that they managed to make the bosses challenging in their own ways, and the fact that once you finally beat 'em, it was satisfying.

Retro Studios rocks and frankly, I think Tropical Freeze might just be the best game on the Wii U.

...so where is my official soundtrack, Ninty/Retro? I would buy it in a heartbeat!

Top Bottom