• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze |OT| There's always money in the banana stand

Kriken

This is gonna be tha shit. Going to be out of town when it comes out, but as soon as I'm back home, it's on.

And if Gamespot really gave it a 5/10... well, I imagine the reactions to that will be interesting.

I wasn't here when Destructoid gave ALBW a 6/10, can I assume it'd be something like that though?

Neiteio

You know what I miss from old DKC - is the Carnival Levels from Donkey Kong Country 2. Those would look fucking amazing in the DKC Returns style.

tumblr_m8z1w1KiXs1re8zjko1_1280.png

dkc2map4b.gif

Donkey%20Kong%20Country%202%20-%20Diddy's%20Kong%20Quest-3-full.png
I'd love the next DKC to have a "dark carnival" theme that essentially sets the entire game in a Krazy Krem World.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
I wasn't here when Destructoid gave ALBW a 6/10, can I assume it'd be something like that though?

Probably worse. A 6/10 from Destructoid generally feels less damning than a 5 from Gamespot, for whatever reason. And the Destructoid review wasn't entirely irrational, either. I didn't agree with it, but whatever. It was pretty fair.

I can smell some bullshit on this one, though.

SuomiDude

I just bought Gizmondo for this game. Didn't know Sony published games for it though, hopefully OP is telling the truth.

Lunar15

Hey, I don't judge reviews. They are what they are. A lot of people disagreed with Destructoid's 6 on ALBW, but mine was closer to that than anything else.

Basically, I don't put too much stock in reviews. If they were all really low across the board, that'd be troubling. If it's mixed and it's a game I'm already interested in, I'll check it out and trust my instincts.

But fuck all that review nonsense. THIS IS FUCKING DONKEY KONG, TIME TO EXPAND DONG.

pupcoffee

The Donkey Kong Returns threads never fail to contain wealthy amounts of love for the old games. You have something special in your hands, Retro.

Skelter

Banned
Off the top of my head:
Rayman Legends Wii U 8/10 while the others 9/10
Bioshock Infinite got a 4/10
Skyward Sword 7.5/10 and he could not understand the controls to save his life

I'll give him Bioshock. I get Skyward too frankly but I'd say an 8/10 but a fucking 5/10? This game just looks like it did everything right and more.

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
Off the top of my head:

i don't disagree with any of that

rayman daily challenges etc felt much better without worrying about touch screen stuff

Christopher

I'll give him Bioshock. I get Skyward too frankly but I'd say an 8/10 but a fucking 5/10? This game just looks like it did everything right and more.

He's played it and you haven't.

Stop being quick to undermine reviews you dont agree with disgusting behavior here.

I want this too though lol my u is hungry

Neiteio

I got this.

ibagtaZwmkk2CG.png

is back! So you can rock out with your dong out!

i49abZLFrniht.png

Prepare to experience an aural feast as the smooth, ambient, yet catchy sounds of Musical Jesus himself carry your unenlightened ass into a euphoric dreamscape of Kong-like proportions!

Samples (no footage):

Assorted Tracks

Mangrove Cove Underwater

Big Top Bop

Staff Credits

(with footage):

Amiss Abyss

Busted Bayou

Wing Ding

An old favorite (spoilers - click at your own risk)

iLCGiEMqfvQe2.png

iLCGiEMqfvQe2.png

iLCGiEMqfvQe2.png
Oh man.

OH MAN.

Amiss Abyss...

I'd easily put Amiss Abyss on similar footing with Aquatic Ambiance and Bramble Blast.

So good!! The OST needs to come out on iTunes!!

Neiteio

Man, it just struck me as a DKC fan since childhood:

This is Donkey Kong Country 5.

I'm still reeling (in the best way) from Reggie's surprise announcement of Returns at E3 2010.

"If you listen closely, you can hear it coming."

Zalman

Man, it just struck me as a DKC fan since childhood:

This is Donkey Kong Country 5.

I'm still reeling (in the best way) from Reggie's surprise announcement of Returns at E3 2010.

"If you listen closely, you can hear it coming."
Such a cool moment (and cool E3 overall.)

Lebon14

Publisher - Sony

wat
I hope this is a joke.

Unfortunately, I won't be picking it soon... as much as I'd like to. Being unemployed sucks money-wise. The game looks so good... And David Wise making the music is like a wish come true. I just wish I had the cash. *sigh*

Off the top of my head:

Those all seem pretty accurate honestly. I'd also rank Rayman on PS3/360 higher than Wii U or Vita (touch-screen Murfy is very very dull in single player), and Skyward Sword is a pretty flawed game on many levels (honestly I'd go a bit lower).

Well, Bioshock is too harsh actually. I'd give that a 6.5-ish. Still not a high review though.

Hermii

My issue with his skyward sword review wasn't the score, but the way he described the controls. He clearly didn't get it.

Made a spreadsheet we can use to find other Gaffers that are buying the game. This will help get some fun competition going, using the in-game friend-only leaderboards.

Quote to reveal. Add your NNID name in column A, and your GAF name in column B:

My issue with his skyward sword review wasn't the score, but the way he described the controls. He clearly didn't get it.

Yup. I can agree with some of his criticisms, but saying the controls are broken is objectively false. I had very few problems with them; there's nothing wrong with a learning curve.

JoeM86

I'm really looking forward to this. However, due to no GamePad features, I guess I'll finally get some decent use out of my Pro Controller. Nuts to using the GamePad for the controller with no reasoning.

Roll on Thursday :D

Yup. I can agree with some of his criticisms, but saying the controls are broken is objectively false. I had very few problems with them; there's nothing wrong with a learning curve.

His issues with the controls were because he was "waggling" (the game punishes you for that) and assuming that things such as the bow were done via IR.

His issues with the controls were because he was "waggling" (the game punishes you for that) and assuming that things such as the bow were done via IR.

Yup. Very unprofessional.

More on topic, I'm still hoping that score is some kind of mistake. I have enough issues with Gamespot as it is, and this would rid them of any credibility they may have left, in my eyes.

wmlk

Any Forest Interlude type of song in this game? What I heard so far sound great but it's missing a lot of the moody synths that Wise was known for on the SNES games.

Any Forest Interlude type of song in this game? What I heard so far sound great but it's missing a lot of the moody synths that Wise was known for on the SNES games.

You'll get some of that. Check out Mangrove Cove Underwater, Scorch n' Torch, and about halfway through Amiss Abyss from my music post. There's another level called Alpine Incline with some great synth, but we don't have a clear video of the music yet.

Dad

The music from 6-2 was pretty moody, and I don't see it getting thrown around a whole lot.

I'm only 1.5 islands in so far, but I'm really enjoying the game. Still getting used to Cranky Kong, because my own instincts are fighting me. Game looks great in motion, animations are cool, and the world is vibrant and detailed. Plus, the level design is great and there are plenty of 'secrets' and stuff to uncover.

LevityNYC

Banned
Was going to buy at Gamestop so I could trade it in when I was done with it.

However, I just noticed it had online leaderboards so I don't think I'll trade it in for a very long time. Day 1 minute digital download for me.

D

Deleted member 8095

Unconfirmed Member
I can't wait! DKC:R was one of the gems of last gen. This game is going to be amazing!

Top Bottom