• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze |OT| There's always money in the banana stand

For new page:

Made a spreadsheet we can use to find other Gaffers that are buying the game. This will help get some fun competition going, using the in-game leaderboards.

Quote to reveal below. Add your NNID name in column A, and your GAF name in column B:

Through the majesty of Washington State I will have some sweet bud delivered to my doorstep and I will obtain this game well before release date. Time to chill to some sweet tunes.

Nisa65

Picked the game up on Thursday and I'm up to world 3 after several hours of playtime. What I've played thus far has been great so unless the quality of gameplay takes a massive nose dive later on then that 5 out of 10 score at Gamespot is a complete joke.

The game is pretty challenging as well even in some of the earlier stages. Certainly far more difficult than NSMB U was. The music is every bit as lovely as everyone makes it out to be too. Couldn't care less about the lack of use of the gamepad functionality outside of off-screen play.

I think it's safe to say that Wii U owners can boast about having yet another fantastic platform game, and so soon after SM3DW too. Can't wait to play some more.

Hermii

If Im going to guess what Tom Mcshae will criticize its something like

"Its a great platformer but its fucking Donkey Kong. Nintendo shouldn't waste their most talented western team on a platformer".

Madouu

For new page:

Made a spreadsheet we can use to find other Gaffers that are buying the game. This will help get some fun competition going, using the in-game leaderboards.

Good idea but I don't seem to be able to add anything to the spreadsheet, seems like it's read only.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
Picked the game up on Thursday and I'm up to world 3 after several hours of playtime. What I've played thus far has been great so unless the quality of gameplay takes a massive nose dive later on then that 5 out of 10 score at Gamespot is a complete joke.

The game is pretty challenging as well even in some of the earlier stages. Certainly far more difficult than NSMB U was. The music is every bit as lovely as everyone makes it out to be too. Couldn't care less about the lack of use of the gamepad functionality outside of off-screen play.

I think it's safe to say that Wii U owners can boast about having yet another fantastic platform game, and so soon after SM3DW too. Can't wait to play some more.

sweet

Awesome. Are you a reviewer or did you just get the game early somehow?

Yeah, the level design is top notch so far. It's certainly no easier (or more difficult) than Returns was and a nice step up from NSMBU.

I asked it already but is the 5 from gamespot confirmed?

No, the review hasn't gone live yet. BUT I'd say it's most likely true, as this has happened many times in the past with them and the leaked scores were accurate.

so the question is if Gamespot will be the odd one out (which happened in the past) or if the game will get bad scores all over the board

so the question is if Gamespot will be the odd one out (which happened in the past) or if the game will get bad scores all over the board

No idea, but we don't have long to find out. There is also that Kotaku guy who was streaming earlier that absolutely hated it. A lot of people who have posted on GAF who have played it seem very positive about it though. I predict mixed scores.

This is currently the front-runner for my GOTY. It looks amazing in literally every single possible way.

And Gamespot gave this a 5? What in the hell? This just seems wrong, I don’t ev....oh wait! Tom Mcshea reviewed it? The same guy that gave Bioshock Infinite a 4? The same guy who adored Beyond: Two Souls and liked it more than The Last of Us? The same guy who wrote this article on Tropical Freeze closing with “And in my hour with Tropical Freeze, I just don't see anything that makes this game special. Sometimes fun just isn't enough for me.” Yep, his review means literally nothing to me. Complaining that the gamepad doesn’t get used is somewhat valid, but I swear if he complains that the game's too hard or that Retro shouldn’t have wasted their talent on a platformer then he’s just gonna make himself look like a clown.

My favourite developers working with my favourite composer on one of my favourite series? I can't wait to play this game. Everything I saw and heard (without spoiling me) is AMAZING, like the theme in the last direct blew my mind.

ZeroX03

Banned
Got my pre-order in. Generally consider any reviews from Gamespot or Edge to be immediate write-offs so I'm not worried. Impeccable studio record in a great series. Still got some stuff to clean up on DKCR3D, that's something to pass the time.

Burnburn

Can't wait until friday. I hope I'm done with Danganronpa by then, or else it will be degraded to bedtime game.

Retro is going to deliver again!

This is currently the front-runner for my GOTY. It looks amazing in literally every single possible way.

And Gamespot gave this a 5? What in the hell? This just seems wrong, I don’t ev....oh wait! Tom Mcshea reviewed it? The same guy that gave Bioshock Infinite a 4? The same guy who adored Beyond: Two Souls and liked it more than The Last of Us? The same guy who wrote this article on Tropical Freeze closing with “And in my hour with Tropical Freeze, I just don't see anything that makes this game special. Sometimes fun just isn't enough for me.” Yep, his review means literally nothing to me. Complaining that the gamepad doesn’t get used is somewhat valid, but I swear if he complains that the game's too hard or that Retro shouldn’t have wasted their talent on a platformer then he’s just gonna make himself look like a clown.
why do you put someone like mcshea on the review team after all the years of controversy?

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
Great job on the OT, it's a piece of art!

Only days left now, let's do this!!!

jimi_dini

And Gamespot gave this a 5? What in the hell? This just seems wrong, I don’t ev....oh wait! Tom Mcshea reviewed it? The same guy that gave Bioshock Infinite a 4? The same guy who adored Beyond: Two Souls and liked it more than The Last of Us? The same guy who wrote this article on Tropical Freeze closing with “And in my hour with Tropical Freeze, I just don't see anything that makes this game special. Sometimes fun just isn't enough for me.”

You forgot his best troll:
Rayman Legends review. 9/10 for PS3+360 versions, 8/10 for the Wii U version

There is some appeal in playing with a friend because anyone controlling Murfy can torment his or her friend. But, Legends stumbles in these stages, especially compared to the PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360 versions in which you control Murfy with a button tap while running as Rayman.

best version worse than the shitty ports, sure.
It seems he copied+pasted PS3+360 "reviews" and even took 4 additional days for the Wii U review.

Gamespot rated Star Wars Kinect as 5/10. I mean seriously. It's impossible that it's that bad.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
For new page:

Quote to reveal below. Add your NNID name in column A, and your GAF name in column B:

What's column C for? I wrote Europe for good measure

JoeM86

Weird that it releases on Friday but I'm hopeful it will be better than DKCR.
Nintendo has appeared to shift releases in the US to no longer be the Sunday/Tuesday mess that kept happening, instead going on Fridays, with parity in release times to Europe.

spekkeh

Banned
I can certainly understand, and would actually kind of applaud, if reviewers would downrate games that may be really good but don't add anything meaningful. Kind of like in movie criticism. Of course it's all conjecture, but if he says fun isn't good enough as it's still fucking Donkey Kong I can see where he's coming from. In fact it's the reason why I'm still mulling over buying it. I loves me some Retro games but if it doesn't turn things upside down I'm pretty much done with these games, excellent as they may be.

Porcile

I pre-ordered the game. Haven't enjoyed Donkey Kong Country in the past, but the trailers make it look like Retro have really taken it above and beyond.

Top Bottom