• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Donkey Konga PAL videos (the songs not on the US version)

I captured the PAL songs that don't appear on the US version of Donkey Konga so you could all see whether or not you think the discs worth importing. I'll be getting the US disc myself to add to my collection alongside this one. These were all done at chimp level, and the only one I miserabley fail was actually pretty easy.. go figure. Check out the Smash Bros Melee Theme -- absolutely awesome!

====================

Artists that originally recorded the songs are in parenthesis.

All videos are Windows Media Video (wmv). Windows Media Player or a compatible player with appropriate codecs will be needed to view these files:

Alright (Supergrass)
Canned Heat (Jamiroquai)
Don't Stop Me Now (Queen)
99 Red Balloons (Nena)
Tubthumping (Chumbawumba)
I Want You Back (Jackson 5)
Cosmic Girl (Jamiroquai)
Richard III (Supergrass)
Lady Marmelade (copy of Christina Aguilera, My, Pink & Lil'Kim version)
September (Earth, Wind & Fire)
Back For Good (Take That)
Donkey Kong Country Theme (from Rareware / Nintendo's Donkey Kong Country on Super Nintendo)
Rainbow Cruise (from Nintendo's Mario 64 on Nintendo 64)
Super Smash Bros: Melee Theme (from HAL Labs / Nintendo's SSB:M on Nintendo Gamecube)

====================

These videos won't be up forever. If for any reason you think you may need to look at them again a few days from now or whatever... then please download them and keep them safe.

Thanks

Thom

edit: having a temporary problem with Smash Bros and Tubthumping download, bare with me on those

mrklaw

MrArseFace
can someone post the 'on US but not PAL' playlist, so I can see it its worth importing the US software only?

Also if there are any differences in the Japanese version vs others, and the japanese sequel?

Here ya go!

Code:
Diddy's Ditzies
Bingo
Campfire Medley
Pokemon Theme
Kirby Right Back at Ya
We Will Rock You
Like Wow
I think I Love You
Shining Star
Rock This Town
Right Here Right Now
Rock Lobster
Stupid Cupid
What I like About You
Whip It
On the Road Again

Hooker

OMG, this is sooo awesome. I was a bit hesitant about buying this but I haven't laughed and had this much fun while hitting my desk to the song.

Thanks dude!!

I got the pal version yesterday its fantastic, love it some much i want to get the US version with the extra set of bongo and the 2 Jap versions aswell. I never imported beofre though.

Will a freeloader work with all 3 non PAL ones, and if so where is the best place to get them on the net (i live in europe BTW)

Meier

Jamiroquai - Canned Heat, aka the song that plays in the GREATEST DANCE SCENE OF ALL TIME in Napoleon Dynamite.

P.S. Want You Back should have been in the US version. :(

Thanks radioheadrule83, should have made the question a bit clearer though. I also wanted to know where to get the 3 version of konga that i dont have any ideas on that?

Whats the best online import shops that will get them to me QUICK!!!

Vlad

I really hope that if Nintendo does decide to release another Donkey Konga game, they throw in the songs from other regions' versions of the original game. Those PAL exclusive songs really are worlds better than most of the US exclusives.

Drakken

Thanks! I'm playing along to them right now; I like them so far, especially the Nintendo songs. I think I may import the Euro version now.

Question: Will this Freeloader play the European version and save properly? Also, does the European version have the same timing issue (have to hit a little before the beat) that the US does?

Acrylamid

Vlad said:
I really hope that if Nintendo does decide to release another Donkey Konga game, they throw in the songs from other regions' versions of the original game.
I'd prefer themed games, for example a disc with 30 Nintendo songs or with 30 pieces of classical music.

Vlad

Acrylamid said:
I'd prefer themed games, for example a disc with 30 Nintendo songs or with 30 pieces of classical music.

Well, yeah, that'd be the ideal solution. However, I was keeping my ideas in the realm of plausibility. I'd love Nintendo to go nuts with Konga and do themed discs, but I really doubt it'll happen.

The PAL exclusive songs are so much better than the US exclusive songs it hurts. Wow we got sucky ass songs.

Hungarian Dance No. 5 in G Minor is still my favorite song in the game.

goodcow

I've yet to play Donkey Konga, but from all the videos it seems to be just like Samba but with kongos... am I wrong?

iapetus

Scary Euro Man
Looking at the US exclusive list, I feel glad I didn't import. Only tracks I'd like from there are We Will Rock You and the Pokemon theme. :)

mrklaw

MrArseFace
goodcow said:
I've yet to play Donkey Konga, but from all the videos it seems to be just like Samba but with kongos... am I wrong?

yes but.

Strangely its very similar, but I don't feel quite such an arse as I do when I play samba. Even though I have a small pair of barrel shaped bongos between my legs, and I'm clapping like a loon :)

Lots and lots of fun.

FOR PAL FREELOADER DISC ONLY
I'm using a PAL action replay disc borrowed from a friend. That works with the UK game on a US gamecube, and the other way around. Its universal. I think the only difference is the region it defaults to.

eg, On the version I have, it defaults to playing US games (assuming a PAL gamecube). I have to press Y and select the European flag to play PAL games on a US cube.

And it also saves fine on a US memory card

sorry bout the Supergrass - Alright one.... I'd accidently typed an extra number into the filename... should work now.

Didn't know Freeloader was universal.

I'll be importing the US disc but it looks like it will be $50 + import duty for the game and an extra set of bongos. I can't find the game seperately.

Speaking of Samba, I saw it for nearly £200 boxed in Liverpool the other day! :eek:

Kiriku

SWEDISH PERFECTION
Some of the songs in the PAL version are just excellent in my opinion. Jamiroquai, EW&F, Jackson 5. 99 red balloons sucks though, the original German version is so much better.

Anyway, the problem with Donkey Konga for me is, it just sounds wrong most of the time. Most songs just don't fit together with congas, it sounds out of place. As I mentioned before, some of the songs in the PAL version are excellent, but they don't work well together with congas. One of few exceptions would be the Jackson 5 song.

I don't feel they're taking advantage of the fact that you're actually playing on congas. Needs a lot more latino/samba rhythms to get things going. It's like making a guitar game that only lets you play euro-techno or something. The game can still be fun, but it's not exactly taking advantage of the fact that you're playing a guitar. This is also a problem with Taiko no Tatsujin IMO...and even Dance Dance Revolution to some extent.

But on the other hand, I realize they want well-known songs to attract the casual players, so the more reasonable musical choices has to go.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Speaking of Samba, I saw it for nearly £200 boxed in Liverpool the other day! :eek:

woah! Maybe I should ebay my boxed copy? Its in perfect condition. It would help my 'buy a new PC' fund.

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
Kiriku said:
Anyway, the problem with Donkey Konga for me is, it just sounds wrong most of the time. Most songs just don't fit together with congas, it sounds out of place. As I mentioned before, some of the songs in the PAL version are excellent, but they don't work well together with congas. One of few exceptions would be the Jackson 5 song.

I'm not sure if this even touches upon your complaint, but I did notice that the whole beat/song connection doesn't seem to really fit the songs until Gorilla mode. In Chimp and Monkey, the general lack of notes results in sporadic beat matching... with Gorilla, all the drumming flows with the song really well.

Also, the alternate bongo sounds can work really well at times... using the Big Band set with the swing songs really improves the feel.

BuddyC

radioheadrule83 said:
I captured the PAL songs that don't appear on the US version of Donkey Konga so you could all see whether or not you think the discs worth importing. I'll be getting the US disc myself to add to my collection alongside this one. These were all done at chimp level, and the only one I miserabley fail was actually pretty easy.. go figure. Check out the Smash Bros Melee Theme -- absolutely awesome!
Awesome, thank you very much.

Check your PMs :)

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
Kiriku said:
I don't feel they're taking advantage of the fact that you're actually playing on congas. Needs a lot more latino/samba rhythms to get things going. It's like making a guitar game that only lets you play euro-techno or something. The game can still be fun, but it's not exactly taking advantage of the fact that you're playing a guitar. This is also a problem with Taiko no Tatsujin IMO...and even Dance Dance Revolution to some extent.

Which is exactly why I think the zelda theme on the US disc is so bad assed. Its a classic nintendo song, ut it is really fused into the konga theme.

there should have been more mixes like it imo.

question for people playing this with freeloader. Does the PAL version save on a US cube with freeloader?

Is the Euro version of the game the same as the Ausie version?

Kon Tiki

Banned
99 Red Balloons (Nena)
German one is better.

I do not follow music games, but some of these songs are not made for this. I see drumming where there would not be.

Should have drum heavy songs. The only thing close to that is one Santana song.

Some of the drumming doesn't fit in monkey or chimp but its really tight in gorilla, and quite hard. All three difficulties are fun, which is what matters really, unless you're a hardcore drummer or something..

anyway, I'm off to work, I Pm'd you BuddyC! I've exceeded my monthly bandwidth quota, so these will be coming down very soon. Feel free to download them, and reuse them / upload them wherever you like if you want.

Cheers,

Thom!

Top Bottom