• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Doom 3 review in September issue of PCGamer

siege

Banned
PCGSeptCover.jpg

Highs: Extraordinary graphics and sound; incredible tension, atmosphere, and mayhem.

Lows: Some stabs at humor fall a bit flat.

Bottom Line: Just as we'd hoped, it's a non-stop ride of tension, carnage and terror. A new classic.

Multiplayer:
1v1, DM, Team DM, and Last Man Standing. There are 5 DM maps shipping with the game.

94%

At first I wasn't very excited by Doom3, but now that i've got a good graphics card it's starting to call to me.

BTW, any word on a demo yet?

TekunoRobby

Tag of Excellence
siege said:
Bottom Line: Just as we'd hoped, it's a non-stop ride of tension, carnage and terror. A new classic.
Yes I'm extremely happy. This is the game I've been anticipating and I'm very happy to hear it will be the game I shall be purchasing.

Of course the real test will be when I play it, hopefully it'll live up to expectations.

akascream

Banned
Definately anticipating the PC version of this game, but I really want some impressions of the Xbox version to see how the co-op turned out. I may have to own both versions of the game. Is the Xbox version out around the same time?

epmode

stupid non-existant 6800 ultra..

does anyone know if this card is actually being sold in retail stores yet? i've been looking for a month now, and i can't find it or the x800 xt.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
epmode said:

does anyone know if this card is actually being sold in retail stores yet? i've been looking for a month now, and i can't find it or the x800 xt.

my local computer store has been selling the x800XT for weeks

epmode said:

just wait for the benchmarks. Supposedly this thing will play on a Geforce 3...

op_ivy said:
yeah, i'd think so

sweet... tight.. rock..

this game is going to rule.. i know its not going to change anything; but its just going to be an amazingly fun romp and a great nostalgic trip...

cant wait for some good 1 on 1 deathmatch matches like back in the day.. need to get some of my old junior high friends that i used ot play doom1 and 2 with over 9600bps modems to buy xbox live and this game.

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."
Video card won't do everything for you.

You'll also need a strong processor.

At least:

P4 2.4 GHz Northwood 533 FSB "B"
AMD 2500+ Barton

And Video cards:
Might get away for the Geforce 4 line, otherwise:
Ati 9600 Pro or up
Nvidia FX5700 or up

SantaC

teh_pwn said:

At least:

Exactly what I have. And 1024mb DDR. My gfx just need an upgrade.

SantaC

Mrbob said:
What video card do you have right now?

Gf4 ti4600

I know I know. I will probably get away with it. But I am so tempted to run this game at max settings :) Cannot really afford it, but...I...must...not..resist!

teh_pwn said:

At least:

AMD 2500+ Barton

And Video cards:
Might get away for the Geforce 4 line, otherwise:
Ati 9600 Pro or up
Nvidia FX5700 or up

yeah I've got an Athlon 2500 mobile

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."
Although, I'm not saying you can't run with weaker hardware. You're just going to have to turn all the settings down, and get a slow fps with tearing.

Ryu

Did the review itself say anything about the miniumum required to run well at a respectable resolution? I know people are throwing around these numbers, but I have to go with the guy who has played the game and reviewed as the know all say all on this one.

siege

Banned
Ryu said:
Did the review itself say anything about the miniumum required to run well at a respectable resolution? I know people are throwing around these numbers, but I have to go with the guy who has played the game and reviewed as the know all say all on this one.

Recommended by PCGamer:
2Ghz CPU
512 MB ram
Radeon 9800
5-channel audio

Supported cards:
GF 4 MX
GF 3
GF 4
GF FX (and higher)
ATI 8500s, 9000s and higher

They said it is playable on lower spec machines - even with a GF 4 MX, but ofcourse it won't look anything like what you've seen in screenshots.

Also, it took the reviewer 24 hours to complete the SP. So it looks like it's going to be as long, if not longer, than FarCry.

Mason

Can someone who knows what they're talking about give me a rough guess how Doom 3 will run based on my specs:

Athlon XP 2500+
512 MB RAM
GeForce 5600 FX Ultra (256 MB)

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
epmode said:
where's it located? i'm in new jersey, and i can't find either card anywhere.

in canada, they're sold out right now... not surprising since they were probably the first in the world to get them in.

Mirk

Newbie said:
BTW, any word on a demo yet?

Not till after the game is out!
twak.gif

I don't know if I can say this but if you search you will find. da beta...
pirate.gif
And if I can't then I will edit this :p

Top Bottom