• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DOOM 3 Theme Song Composers Unveiled (Not Tool)

BuddyC

http://www.gamedaily.com/pc/article/?id=7227&game_id=237&source=00001

id Software, one of the world's leading video game developers, today announced that noted producer-composers Chris Vrenna and Clint Walsh have produced the theme song to the highly anticipated DOOM 3, set for release August 3rd, 2004.

A terrifying battle with the forces of Hell, DOOM 3's dramatic storyline, incredible action, mind-blowing graphics, 5.1 surround sound and ground-breaking technology are fused together to draw gamers into the most frightening, shocking, and gripping first-person gaming experience ever created.

Renowned as one of the founding members of Nine Inch Nails, Chris Vrenna is recognized as one of the top producer-remixers in the music business, having worked with a 'who's who' of artists such as U2 for Lara Croft : Tomb Raider, P.O.D. for The Scorpion King as well as Weezer, David Bowie, Smashing Pumpkins and Rob Zombie amongst many others. Vrenna recently released his second Tweaker album (created with collaborator Clint Walsh) titled 2 a.m. wakeup call on the Waxploitation label.

"I have been a fan of almost every game id has developed", said Vrenna. "I grew up on DOOM, QUAKE and Wolfenstein, so this was a huge honor for me to have been asked. Clint and I have created something worthy of the task, that both game and music fans will be into."

Vrenna has produced and composed music for a number of video games including American McGee's Alice, id Software's QUAKE (as a member of NIN), The Sims II, Enter The Matrix, as well as upcoming games such as Tabula Rasa and Area 51.

"We asked Chris to create a modern DOOM 3 theme song that reflected the character and intensity of DOOM3, and we couldn't be happier with the final product," said Todd Hollenshead, CEO, id Software. "Chris and id have shared a mutual appreciation for each others work, and it was exciting to be able to team up on something that fans of both id and Vrenna will appreciate."

For more information on DOOM 3, VRENNA'S music and background, and id Software, visit www.doom3.com, www.tweaker.net, www.waxploitation.com, and www.idsoftware.com.

BuddyC

Gattsu25 said:
I personally would love to hear a soundtrack that's a mix between Doom (PSX) and Quake 1's :D
Apparently, there's no actual music in game. The only real music is the theme song.

No music makes Baby Jesus cry. I'm all for ambient sounds, but it's fucking DOOM ferchrissakes. I want heavy metal/industrial ownage to get the blood pumping. Quake 2's soundtrack, now that's what I'm talkin' 'bout.

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
DJ Demon J said:
No music makes Baby Jesus cry. I'm all for ambient sounds, but it's fucking DOOM ferchrissakes. I want heavy metal/industrial ownage to get the blood pumping. Quake 2's soundtrack, now that's what I'm talkin' 'bout.

Its horror, not action. (i was just blabbering about how i hate the absense of music in games, but horror is the only genre where this works throughout the whole game)

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
DJ Demon J said:

I don't think it would fit in with what they were doing. This IS a Doom sequel, of course, but they were clearly trying to create a VERY scary game and drew some ideas from stuff like Silent Hill. Doom 3 is a slow paced game now, unlike the original two. I think they wanted to pay tribute to the older games while offering a new kind of experience...

Of course, you can still have pumping music while maintaining the fear. System Shock 2 had some fast paced techno-ish tracks, and they actually worked great.

BuddyC

questions3.gif

Things to note..

from the PR:
id Software, one of the world’s leading video game developers, today announced that noted producer-composers Chris Vrenna and Clint Walsh have produced the theme song to the highly anticipated DOOM 3, set for release August 3rd, 2004.

from Reznor's access:
our idea was to have no music, apart from a main theme i'd write for the intro. no rock, nothing current sounding, nothing to date the game.

I know that id wanted to go for a slower paced Doom this time, and I know the PR announcement focused around the theme song, but my complaint still stands, the lack of any metal/industrial music (even if not a constant BGM and only something that occurs at key events), is very disturbing. This had better be one goddamn amazing display of ambient sounds.

DJ Demon J said:
I know that id wanted to go for a slower paced Doom this time, and I know the PR announcement focused around the theme song, but my complaint still stands, the lack of any metal/industrial music (even if not a constant BGM and only something that occurs at key events), is very disturbing. This had better be one goddamn amazing display of ambient sounds.

It'll probably work better than you think.

System Shock 2 had very little music, just at certain points and usually they were only a minute or less long. Though I didn't mind it, people actually complained that it distracted from the mood a bit and pulled players from the immersion.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
The Shadow said:
It'll probably work better than you think.

System Shock 2 had very little music, just at certain points and usually they were only a minute or less long. Though I didn't mind it, people actually complained that it distracted from the mood a bit and pulled players from the immersion.

That isn't true, though. System Shock 2 had a lot of music and most of it would play during your stay in a specific section.

Top Bottom