• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Doom II XBLA |OT|

Gravijah

Chip N Chance said:
Yup, it does have it. :D
awuwiv.jpg

OK, might have to buy it sooner than later.

Goron2000 said:
Can anyone say how online is? The original was unplayable in deathmatch.

True. But either way, i always played Doom for the singleplayer. I remember back when Doom 1 was released on xbla (week of E3 06?), i met Jeff Gerstmann in a game of Deathmatch, and ended up friending him on Live. Weird coincidence.

Mar

All over my etc.

JRW said:
Needs mouse + keyboard

Doh

This is DOOM. You don't need a mouse, although a keyboard would be useful. The only thing that gets a bit difficult is weapon switching in the heat of battle.

itxaka

Defeatist
They better have good netcode this time. Doom 1 was horrible. Couldn't connect half of the time and having lag like mad didn't help me enjoy as much as I should.

hw5Xj.jpg

Still, getting this was awesome :D

JRW

Mar said:
This is DOOM. You don't need a mouse, although a keyboard would be useful. The only thing that gets a bit difficult is weapon switching in the heat of battle.

Guess im a bit old school, I was first introduced to Doom 1 on a 486/33 based PC with a 14.4k baud modem lol, I became accustomed to mouse + keyboard ever since then with FPS games.

Not saying I cant manage a controller with FPS games but when it comes to Doom it just feels odd in comparison. I was also heavily into PC's Doom 2 DM online for years using mouse + key.

Mar

JRW said:
Guess im a bit old school, I was first introduced to Doom 1 on a 486/33 based PC with a 14.4k baud modem lol, I became accustomed to mouse + keyboard ever since then with FPS games.

Not saying I cant manage a controller with FPS games but when it comes to Doom it just feels odd in comparison. I was also heavily into PC's Doom 2 DM online for years using mouse + key.

No, I'm saying DOOM never required a mouse. The aiming system was built for a keyboard and while you could get a greater range with the mouse, it wasn't required. In fact I always found it hampered more than helped because it also moved your character around as you were aiming.

Actually, a mouse was pretty handy for quick turns. So I guess it's not all bad.

Wait there's an extra episode?!?

My only Xbox time this year has been Perfect Dark and now Doom 2. Who knows what late 80s game I'll get to next.

Raide

jim-jam bongs said:
Wait there's an extra episode?!?

My only Xbox time this year has been Perfect Dark and now Doom 2. Who knows what late 80s game I'll get to next.

All we need next it for MS to announce Quake HD and the world will be perfect. :D

syllogism

I hear the extra episode (it's 9 levels) is very good. Amusingly, the new WAD can be extracted and it works on the PC version just like that

voltron

syllogism said:
I hear the extra episode (it's 9 levels) is very good. Amusingly, the new WAD can be extracted and it works on the PC version just like that

haha that is awesome. And appropriate.

So someone has surely extracted it out of the Jap version already right?

gooooogle.....

I just hope they will buffer the weapon cycle controls.
I need to triple tap the button and then see the third weapon appear. In Doom XBLA you had to wait for the weapon to appear and then cycling to the next --- wich is breaking Doom gameplay.

What? I downloaded and played through the demos' two levels already. It was great. New campaign has those wonderfully obtuse level designs we've all grown to love. One thing though: for some reason, the crosses on health packs were removed. Dunno why. :lol

TheCardPlayer

Likes to have "friends" around to "play cards" with
Vampire Baseball said:
What? I downloaded and played through the demos' two levels already. It was great. New campaign has those wonderfully obtuse level designs we've all grown to love. One thing though: for some reason, the crosses on health packs were removed. Dunno why. :lol

Still not working. I click on Doom 2, and it brings me to a Looking for something at Xbox.com? page, instead.

TheCardPlayer said:
Still not working. I click on Doom 2, and it brings me to a Looking for something at Xbox.com? page, instead.

You can't download it, and now I can't buy it. Damn errors. :lol

Edit: Went back to the xbox.com page and it's not letting me download the full game from there either. Damn, should've got it the first time around instead of the demo.

C4Lukins

After playing Duke3D, Marathon, Perfect Dark, and Wolfenstein on 360 it is funny that Doom is really the only fps game of that era that holds up. I mean the graphics are dated, the find the key at point b, return to point a, so that you can find the key that opens point c, and so on is dated, but the simple fantastic gameplay is still there. It is the Mario of FPS games, and Doom2 is even better, and the controls translate well to at least two of the three big consoles. I will be there day one.

Acheteedo

TheCardPlayer said:
When you click it, it brings you to an error page. FFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

Dangit, I get the same. I got 800pts free with Red Dead too, everything was falling into place :(

I need them avatar awards!

Whimsical Phil

Ninja School will help you
I was able to purchase the full version through Xbox.com. I've already earned four achievements and unlocked the avatar T-shirt.

Man, I love this game!

Vampire Baseball said:
It's up for download from xbox.com already. Go get it.

Thanks for the head-up. I don't know why other people are getting an error page; it worked for me. I purchased the full version immediately, and I've just finished the first few levels. Pure gaming bliss, I tell you! :D

They've made a couple of minor but welcome improvements. First, no, they didn't change the weapon selection speed or let button presses stack (grrr). But they did make the D-pad into a quick select - up selects shotguns, left is energy weapons, right is bullet weapons (chain gun, pistol) and down is everything else (rocket launcher, chainsaw, fist). It cycles through the weapons on each button at the same slow speed, starting with the most powerful.

The only other improvement I noticed is an "always run" option, which is great since the game has analog control anyway. Now my left trigger finger can relax!

Fantasmo

Mar said:
No, I'm saying DOOM never required a mouse. The aiming system was built for a keyboard and while you could get a greater range with the mouse, it wasn't required. In fact I always found it hampered more than helped because it also moved your character around as you were aiming.

Actually, a mouse was pretty handy for quick turns. So I guess it's not all bad.

It's not like there's much to do in Deathmatch besides aim PERFECTLY, especially in the small maps. Until my friends switched, I could just run past, 180 and kill them everytime. Your character moves really fast in Doom.

We were really into it though, custom maps, weekend marathon sessions, tons of soda and pizza :lol

For nostalgia or a bit of singleplayer or coop fun, I'm sure the 360 pad is fine.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Pandoracell said:
How's the netcode?

I played for about an hour tonight and had no problem. I have a 10Mbps DSL connection and live on an island off the east coast of North America.

That being said, very few maps are strategic. The corridors are often pretty cramped, you can easily spawnkill people and camp power weapons, and since you can't jump and there are no good hiding spots, you basically just run around like crazy.

I've got about a 1:1 KDR so far and have about 75 kills after that hour.

GhaleonEB

I never got to play through DOOM II back in the day, so this is a rare combo blast of old school nostalgia and new stuff mixed together. Through the first five levels so far, and it's just awesome. Better - and somehow more devious - level designs than the first game. Hearing a door open...somewhere...after picking up a key card never ceases to freak me out. :lol

tedtropy

$50/hour, but no kissing on the lips and colors must be pre-separated
1. Came home from work.
2. Saw wife on couch playing Super Mario Galaxy 2.
3. Pushed wife off couch, fired up 360.
4. Bought the shit out of this game.

Top Bottom