• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Doom II XBLA |OT|

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
ok, its been a while since my last doom II play through...

what the hell (see what i did there?) do i do in "dead simple" after killing the crap out of everything?

Pete Rock

Hmm, an extra set of levels, an avatar suit and the same busted netcode for $10...

Or I could play Skulltag for free (yes I paid for the wads originally) on even my oldest PC, with 32 players, ctf/invasion/etc. Bummer. I really hope they don't release Quake the same way, with all the advances in the clients it's really come into its own as a classic package that's been meticulously updated throughout the years.

LCGeek

formerly sane
Seda said:
Its actually not that bad. The finishing blow has to be with your fists, not using ONLY your fists.

I did it in the "super secret" level (Map 32: Grosse) on the easiest difficulty. Save at the beginning of the level just in case and grab the berserk power-up (it lasts the whole level, a lot of people don't realize this).

A Cyberdemon is the only baddie in the level. Basically bombard it with rockets, saving every now and then. Basically whittle down his health until one more rocket will kill him (loading most previous save if you kill him with a rocket). After he's weak, grab the invulnerability power-up in one of the secret rooms and punch him once or twice and you're good.

There are doom guides that say how much each baddie can take of each gun so that suggestion along with knowing the exact amount can go a long way.

Doom2 multiplayer sounds fucked with the speed and a pad it was hard enough with a pc setup on a console that has to be a roll of laughs.

op_ivy

op_ivy said:
ok, its been a while since my last doom II play through...

what the hell (see what i did there?) do i do in "dead simple" after killing the crap out of everything?

anyone?

after the spider things, nothing else happened and i'm stuck in the "arena" with nothing to do. gamefaqs said stairs should appear to the center platform (?) but that never occured. glitch?

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
op_ivy said:

there's a switch in the middle of the map that looks like an eye

push it

op_ivy

Stumpokapow said:
there's a switch in the middle of the map that looks like an eye

push it

thanks, but see my post above... i cant get there. must be a bug, i'll probably have to reload the level. hope i have a rocket left to kill myself :(

meddow

Played for 2 days now online

hardly anyone connects, im in uk so may be different for USA peeps.

I really love doom 2 1st level, wanted to play it online again but looks like no one wants to share my love :(

Doom 1 was dry online rather quickly also, they are not games people hang around with or like myself only play single player.

Ask some gaffers, I would play but I don't own it yet.

NinjaBoiX

I AM JOHN! said:
I am excited for Doom II. But the new way of denoting official threads is shitty.

It's shitty.

It's shitty

Whoever thought it was a good idea: no,
I dunno, it's better than "the official *** thread of wanky overly long name just to fit in some obscure unbelievably nerdy joke that only 10% of the forum undertands". "OT", perfect.

Marvie_3

Banned
Seda said:
Its actually not that bad. The finishing blow has to be with your fists, not using ONLY your fists.

I did it in the "super secret" level (Map 32: Grosse) on the easiest difficulty. Save at the beginning of the level just in case and grab the berserk power-up (it lasts the whole level, a lot of people don't realize this).

A Cyberdemon is the only baddie in the level. Basically bombard it with rockets, saving every now and then. Basically whittle down his health until one more rocket will kill him (loading most previous save if you kill him with a rocket). After he's weak, grab the invulnerability power-up in one of the secret rooms and punch him once or twice and you're good.
That's a really good idea.

KittyKittyBangBang said:
Holy.....Hell.....

There's a CyberDemon with an invincibility powerup on either side of his room at the end of Level 10 (one's in a secret area that you'll have to find first), and there's also a couple of Berzerker powerups in the level (that give you awesome fisty punching power for the rest of the level). Get to work. :D

Swifty said:
Using quotes from the infamous Doom comic book for the achievements is brilliant. :lol

I didn't realize that's where they were from (presumably because I've never seen this comic). That's funny.

I'm having such a great time with this, taking my time and making sure I get triple 100%'s on each level. I hate to sound too greedy, but now that this has, at long last, arrived, I want more. Bring on Doom 64! That one's actually my favorite, no disrespect to id (it was made by Midway). I just love the re-designed monsters, especially the Pain Elemental, and the richer textures and nice graphical effects. Not that the original didn't look fantastic and play great, but it'd be nice to use dual-analog controls, play in HD, and bump up the gamma level.

Whimsical Phil

Ninja School will help you
Sooooooooo satisfying.

2fjdnvh

You Have Huge Guts
Kill a CyberDemon using your fists in Single player
dxb3h6

Acquired 5/29/2010

I also earned the Doom suit Avatar Award. Here's what it looks like for those still wondering:

29jcxfv

Question:

I know there are weapon shortcuts on the D-pad...
Can you choose wich weapons you want there or there's only one preset?
If you can't choose, what is the preset?

Pydte

Unbiased Basturd said:
Question:

I know there are weapon shortcuts on the D-pad...
Can you choose wich weapons you want there or there's only one preset?
If you can't choose, what is the preset?
Up: Super Shotgun, Shotgun
Down: Rocket Launcher, Chainsaw, Brass Knuckles
Left: Plasma Cannon, BFG9000
Right: Chaingun, Pistol

I'm pretty sure you can't change the presets, unfortunately.

Pydte said:

Interesting. But the Chainsaw is too perfect for killing red demons. I wanted it to be in first before Rocket and Knuckle but oh well, I guess I might buy it since there are the shortcuts at least. This will offset the the slowweapon changing problem a little.

Marvie_3

Banned
Whimsical Phil said:
Sooooooooo satisfying.

2fjdnvh

You Have Huge Guts
Kill a CyberDemon using your fists in Single player
dxb3h6

Acquired 5/29/2010
Got that this morning too. :D

TheVampire said:
Is it just me or at the levels in Doom 2 alot longer and harder than Doom 1?
Depends on the level.

TheVampire said:
Also does this game have coop?
Yes.

Marvie_3

Banned
This is probably a stupid question, but how do I get the red key in Level 15? Walkthroughs are telling me that its right next to you when you start but its not even in the same building. I can get right to where its at but the gap between ledges is too far to "jump".

Edit: nevermind, I'm an idiot. :lol

GhaleonEB

The later levels of this game are just sooooo good. Holy shit. From The Factory on, the levels just get better and better. Several times in the past week I was up past one in the morning - when I had work the next day. It's been a couple years since a game did that to me.

I'm going back through on Ultra Violence now, and that feeling of running desperately from room to room scrounging ammo, hunting desperately for secrets and busting out the chainsaw to conserve ammo is simply intense. A couple nights ago I spent well over two hours limping through The Pit and Refueling Base, trying to build up beyond a sliver of health a few shells here and there while inadvertantly running into enormous piles of huge enemies. What's behind this door...? Ah. Eight Cacodemons, two Pain Elementals and 15 Imps. I think I'll take my five shotgun shells and a chainsaw and head the other way. Of course, I have this stubborn insistance on killing everything I can find, which is why I keep staying up so late inching through. :lol

This game still has that magic most games are missing today.

Marvie_3 said:
This is probably a stupid question, but how do I get the red key in Level 15? Walkthroughs are telling me that its right next to you when you start but its not even in the same building. I can get right to where its at but the gap between ledges is too far to "jump".

Edit: nevermind, I'm an idiot. :lol

Not a stupid question. I was stuck here also and that gap that you're speaking of - I don't get it, as I can sometimes make it across and other times, I can't make it across. Is there a secret to making the jump 100% of the time?

I've since passed this level but am curious how you can always make that jump 100% of the time. Anyways, the level design is brilliant and the game still holds up well to this day. I wish there were more fps in the vein of Doom that are created these days....

GhaleonEB said:
The later levels of this game are just sooooo good. Holy shit. From The Factory on, the levels just get better and better. Several times in the past week I was up past one in the morning - when I had work the next day. It's been a couple years since a game did that to me. :lol

I'm going back through on Ultra Violence now, and that feeling of running desperately from room to room scrounging ammo, hunting desperately for secrets and busting out the chainsaw to conserve ammo is simply intense. A couple nights ago I spent well over two hours limping through The Pit and Refueling Base, trying to build up beyond a sliver of health a few shells here and there while inadvertantly running into enormous piles of huge enemies. What's behind this door...? Ah. Eight Cacodemons, two Pain Elementals and 15 Imps. I think I'll take my five shotgun shells and a chainsaw and head the other way. Of course, I have this stubborn insistance on killing everything I can find, which is why I keep staying up so late inching through. :lol

Yup, ditto for me. I've been staying up late on many nights, when I know full well that I have to work the very next day. :lol This game is brilliant and agreed, it has the magic that many games lack these days. I actually didn't bother starting the game at the default difficulty setting and went straight to ultra violence difficulty and holy crap, is it hard, but damn good. :D

Also, I did play Doom on PlayStation 1, but that port wasn't PC perfect. It's nice to finally be able to play Doom with nothing lost from the PC version, or so I think this is a perfect port of the pc version.

Raide

GhaleonEB said:
The later levels of this game are just sooooo good. Holy shit. From The Factory on, the levels just get better and better. Several times in the past week I was up past one in the morning - when I had work the next day. It's been a couple years since a game did that to me.

Bang on!

Doom 1 and 2 still have a huge amount of tension built into them. The moments you sneak around the corner, press the door button and the hiss of waking imps and revenants kicks in, it still manages to scare the crap out of me. :lol

Have you played any of the new episode? A little short but has some truly awesome level design and stunning monster setups.

Raide

speculawyer said:
Nice to see a classic get some exposure.

I just hope it sold an insane amount of copies so id will start working on QuakeWorld. :D

I would also kill for Heretic and Hexen.

Raide said:
I just hope it sold an insane amount of copies so id will start working on QuakeWorld. :D

I would also kill for Heretic and Hexen.

Yeah, Id really need to go back to their roots and make a new version of Doom with today's powerful PC tech that play like the old Doom's.

nextgeneration said:
Not a stupid question. I was stuck here also and that gap that you're speaking of - I don't get it, as I can sometimes make it across and other times, I can't make it across. Is there a secret to making the jump 100% of the time?

There's a secret, yes. It's not to try the jump at all. I was stuck there for a long time, too. In fact, I NEVER made the damn jump; after a few tries I decided I should be looking for a switch or something. It turns out if you go in the teleporter off to the right, and then come back through it again, you end up right on top of the key.

Leondexter said:
There's a secret, yes. It's not to try the jump at all. I was stuck there for a long time, too. In fact, I NEVER made the damn jump; after a few tries I decided I should be looking for a switch or something. It turns out if you go in the teleporter off to the right, and then come back through it again, you end up right on top of the key.

Ah, thanks. I had to resort to saving my game at that location before the jump and just kept trying until I finally made the jump. :lol

GhaleonEB

Raide said:
Have you played any of the new episode? A little short but has some truly awesome level design and stunning monster setups.
Yup, I played through the new episode right after the main game. They have a very different style to them, are much more compartmentalized and the encounter rate is a lot more dense. One of the levels was really tiny but little layers of the walls kept opening up every time I did anything unleashing an avalanche of hell spawn. I'm almost afraid to get to it on Ultra Violence. :lol

I preferred the second half of the primary episode to the new ones, but they were a very nice bonus. Some of the puzzles and the last level especially were quite unique.

It's been a long time since I played a game that both equipped the player with absurdly powerful weapons, and then put down a gauntlet as thoroughly as DOOM II does. The way it lets me feel like a badass in short bursts before putting me back in place a couple moments later is simply evil - yet addicting. And I do love the numerous "fuck it, let's throw 20 Barons of Hell and 10 Spider Demons at him" moments. :D

Raide

GhaleonEB said:
Yup, I played through the new episode right after the main game. They have a very different style to them, are much more compartmentalized and the encounter rate is a lot more dense. One of the levels was really tiny but little layers of the walls kept opening up every time I did anything unleashing an avalanche of hell spawn. I'm almost afraid to get to it on Ultra Violence. :lol

I preferred the second half of the primary episode to the new ones, but they were a very nice bonus. Some of the puzzles and the last level especially were quite unique.

It's been a long time since I played a game that both equipped the player with absurdly powerful weapons, and then put down a gauntlet as thoroughly as DOOM II does. The way it lets me feel like a badass in short bursts before putting me back in place a couple moments later is simply evil - yet addicting. And I do love the numerous "fuck it, let's throw 20 Barons of Hell and 10 Spider Demons at him" moments. :D

Some of the encounters they throw at you are truly insane. Most times I think "WTF? I have no chance!" but when you manage to come out of the end alive, its just so awesome.

The Double Barrelled Shotgun is still pure bliss when you first get it.:lol

One thing I noticed about Doom, and subsequently lost on nearly all modern FPS games, are the amount of secrets to find. Not just the hidden door stuff but the hit timed switch, sprint around the level and get in secrets. :lol

I hope they have some more WAD's out for Doom 2. Going by the second episode, I would love some more designed like that.

I had bought the original doom on the 360 and somehow never really enjoyed it much despite being a huge nut when it was the shit on the PC.. It just doesn't transfer well to a console/controller for me..

Pydte said:

FUUUUUUUUU. I just played the entire fucking thing switching through the weapons with the face buttons. SO many times I thought that there should be a quick way to change from shotgun to rocket launcher... :lol

Unlike the original that I played as a kid (and loved again on XBLA) this was my first time playing Doom 2 and although I really like it, I don't think the level design was that strong. It lacked the eerie atmosphere that made the first game so great and at times it was so abstract and arbitrary with hidden passages. I know that the original Doom had levels that were like mazes, but I feel like in this game there were times when I was stuck and just had to run along each wall mashing A hoping something would reveal itself to me. Most annoyingly was when I'd find a hidden area, collect whatever was in it, then wander around for 15 minutes before going back to that area and realising I could walk through the back wall to find a missing key.

Just seemed a bit too much and frustrated me a lot. Still a top game, though. :D I'm gonna go on to the new episode tomorrow now and see how it differs from the design of the original game.

Foliorum Viridum said:
FUUUUUUUUU. I just played the entire fucking thing switching through the weapons with the face buttons. SO many times I thought that there should be a quick way to change from shotgun to rocket launcher... :lol

Unlike the original that I played as a kid (and loved again on XBLA) this was my first time playing Doom 2 and although I really like it, I don't think the level design was that strong. It lacked the eerie atmosphere that made the first game so great and at times it was so abstract and arbitrary with hidden passages. I know that the original Doom had levels that were like mazes, but I feel like in this game there were times when I was stuck and just had to run along each wall mashing A hoping something would reveal itself to me. Most annoyingly was when I'd find a hidden area, collect whatever was in it, then wander around for 15 minutes before going back to that area and realising I could walk through the back wall to find a missing key.

Just seemed a bit too much and frustrated me a lot. Still a top game, though. :D I'm gonna go on to the new episode tomorrow now and see how it differs from the design of the original game.

I agree, I've always felt Doom 1 had better level designs. But II adds the Super Shotgun and several great new enemies, so it's hard to call 1 the better game (although that's still my personal feeling).

jvm

Gamasutra.
One of the games I still envy Xbox 360 owners for. Would really dig this on the PS3. Wolf3D is all we got... :(

Leondexter said:
I agree, I've always felt Doom 1 had better level designs. But II adds the Super Shotgun and several great new enemies, so it's hard to call 1 the better game (although that's still my personal feeling).
I don't think that makes up for the inferior level design, personally.

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
Does uh, anyone else's 360 freeze up on episode 4? (The new maps?) I didn't have this issue going through the other maps...

jvm

Gamasutra.
V_Ben said:
I had actually forgotten that we got Wolf3D :lol
Yeah. I'd rather have had nothing, in a sense. Getting Wolf3D but not Doom is like having a 286 but not a 386. :(

Leondexter said:

Ditto for me. The first Doom on 360 had better level design, but the 2nd one is still very good. They're both must plays and both stand the test of time because of the excellent level design and gameplay.

Top Bottom