• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DOOM |OT| Rip and tear, until it's done

Moff

maybe I shouldn't have played brutal doom right before but the weapons aren't satisfying at all, they lack punch

I just don't get it, doom 3 had the same problem. the shotgun is just lame
how can you give a doom game a lame shotgun

I'm also annoyed because I can't rebind jump to a mouse button, I always do that but if I do that here it can't start the game after the loading screen so I have to keep it on space

not a great first impression

So what's the deal with those security jackasses? They just keep pushing forward and I can't break their shield. If I try to strafe around them I get bashed by their shield and die pretty much instantly.

Lan Dong Mik

And why would I want them?
So what's the deal with those security jackasses? They just keep pushing forward and I can't break their shield. If I try to strafe around them I get bashed by their shield and die pretty much instantly.

I've been using grenades on those guys and then trying to get to the side of them to shoot but yeah they are pretty fuckin though and annoying when you're being swarmed.

Protip: To defeat the security jackasses, shoot at them until they die.

Spoo

Was gonna say the same. The Nvidia video and the positive reactions in here made me buy the game. Hopefully it's worth it. If only I had a faster Internet connection...

It's a real shame there's only videos of terrible players playing this game. If you're good at FPS, the amount of freedom in combat leads to some ridiculously crazy stuff. And if you're playing on a hard difficulty, you'll start to see where the glory kills not only add to the insanity, but represent quick tactical choices on the battlefield (as does the chainsaw).

I've been using grenades on those guys and then trying to get to the side of them to shoot but yeah they are pretty fuckin though and annoying when you're being swarmed.

Enemies with nearly unbreakable shields slow the pace of the game to a crawl and take all the fun and thrill of the game out.

Protip: To defeat the security jackasses, shoot at them until they die.

Might as well be cyberdemons for how resilient they are.

EDIT: Okay, clear head. These guys aren't that bad. Was just ticked off by their pretty much unbreakable shields that somehow have an indicator for how durable they are, despite pretty much never breaking. When you break them, they get them back up pretty much instantly, so there's no time to punish.

Shredderi

Does she come with it?

13129398_903080496480920_987021132_n.jpg

I think she could make it work somehow.

Raptomex

Took a day off work tomorrow. Meeting my friend right after I leave work. Gonna get some pizza, play some shit, and pick up the game at midnight.

antitrop

It's a real shame there's only videos of terrible players playing this game. If you're good at FPS, the amount of freedom in combat leads to some ridiculously crazy stuff. And if you're playing on a hard difficulty, you'll start to see where the glory kills not only add to the insanity, but represent quick tactical choices on the battlefield (as does the chainsaw).

I'm watching ExcessiveProfanity stream the PC version on Twitch right now and he's pretty decent at it. Both he and his (subscriber only) chat are LOVING the game.

I've been watching him off/on for 3 hours instead of getting back to finishing Uncharted 4, like I was supposed to do today.

Shredderi

Surprised to see so many glowing impressions here. Positively surprised. I was getting ready to write the game off. Don't need another monetary distraction right now though. God dammit. GOD FUCKING DAMNIT.

Momentary

Banned
I'm going to give it a rest until it's released officially tomorrow.

The guns in this game man. And their attachments. So good.

Level layouts are great.

Melee feels good to me in this game.

The berserk power up..HNNNNNGGGG!!!

The satisfaction of finding and figuring out secrets. Damn fine job there man.

This suit of armor. I need one for Halloween and you can't fool around when the heat is on.

I'm currently playing on the hardest default difficulty.

Drewfonse

I'm going to give it a rest until it's released officially tomorrow.

The guns in this game man. And their attachments. So good.

Level layouts are great.

Melee feels good to me in this game.

The berserk power up..HNNNNNGGGG!!!

This suit of armor. I need one for Halloween.

What are you playing it on ?

Nokterian

Dave Oshry closed the video from polygon in 30 seconds when they started playing so did i because that was just plain bad. Like you said seeing that gameplay from nvidia had me my hopes restored..seeing that slow ass gameplay whole year using a gamepad made me worry about the PC version but now with a good player showcasing it well than i can spend my money on it.

would you be you playing on console or PC? I'm playing PC and for me I'm pretty sure it's like 10 seconds tops getting into a game from start up and then level changes. cant recall any loading at all once you're in a level.

I'm a console gamer. If I do get this game it will be on either PS4 or XBox One. It's been over a decade since I played Doom 3, but I remember finding it very dull and unremarkable, so much so that it's never really crossed my mind to play it again. I seem to even recall that some of the bigger levels required load screens. Like I said before, I hate loading screens in games, especially in this generation of consoles. I was really bummed out that Mortal Kombat X had them. But for Arkham City, I could deal with them because they were reasonably infrequent. I hope that Doom is this way too if that's the compromise that comes with modern console gaming.

This is the Easter egg i was alluding to early on in the thread. Had such a shit eating grin on my face.

Now killing my way through hell and enjoying it immensely. The music is soooooo fucccking good.

How dynamic is enemy mods in this game? When I played Doom 3 on the Xbox, I was lucky if I found 4 enemy tops on screen at the same time.

Also, is this game a reboot? And if it's a reboot, is it one in the vein of Batman Begins or Force Awakens?

amrs

Neo Member
The framerate is still not a solid 60@1440p w/ a 980Ti with most settings on medium and a few on high. It seems to hover between 55-65, a few odd drops too, like looking at some planters would drop it down to the 40's. It's mitigated some by Gsync, but performance could be better. Though, drivers haven't been released yet(as far as I know) and that could definitely help to have.

i7 4770k @4.3
16GB Ram @1866
Titan X OC: core +150, memory +250
Windows 10 64 bit
PG278Q - 1440p Gsync monitor @144Hz
Drivers 365.10

I'm getting about 100 FPS almost constantly at ULTRA settings with motion blur disabled... I relly think there is something wrong with your system...

Finished 3 levels and it never felt like it went below 60. I don't constantly watch the FPS counter but I know how subpar 60 fps gameplay is like and I haven't noticed anything bad about it...

biteren

Dave Oshry closed the video from polygon in 30 seconds when they started playing so did i because that was just plain bad. Like you said seeing that gameplay from nvidia had me my hopes restored..seeing that slow ass gameplay whole year using a gamepad made me worry about the PC version but now with a good player showcasing it well than i can spend my money on it.

welcome back

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
Umm, why would you do that, if you don't mind me asking a 970 should run this Game like a dream.

I've seen PS4 footage. It's looks smooth as fuck at 60fps and still looks stunning. That's good enough for me.

Seriously guys, do yourself a favor and don't look at any screenshots if you can avoid them. Some of these easter eggs are really awesome, and it'd suck to have them ruined in my opinion. Throwbacks to old id games and Bethesda Softworks games. Really cool.

Raptomex

Loving the impressions. When Carmack left I was skeptical but it sounds like id still has great talent. They can still make an FPS and if this game is as awesome as it sounds, Marty has proven himself in my eyes. It's still a shame Carmack left.

Spoo

Loving the impressions. When Carmack left I was skeptical but it sounds like id still has great talent. They can still make an FPS and if this game is as awesome as it sounds, Marty has proven himself in my eyes. It's still a shame Carmack left.

I'd imagine his impact is still here. Not only in the snapmap stuff that he confirmed he worked on, but probably in the engine as well. Either way, from a visual standpoint, it's pretty great.

m4st4

Jesus I finally saw a competent player on PS Live and I'm buying this asap! Game looks awesome, that gunplay is insane, especially when you mix it with Gordon's soundtrack.

It's really a shame that so many people were preemptively dismissing id even though they have a stellar track record regarding the quality of their software. Say what you want but Rage was not a bad game and Doom 3, while a different take on the series, was great fun. Good on them for staying vigilant in the face of unwavering doubt. Fuck yes.

Top Bottom