• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DOOM |OT| Rip and tear, until it's done

Nzyme32

Wait a minute, thought Gordon could do no wrong here.

Difficult to really tell when there is so little of the game available to hear. The gamespot stream has had metal music in there, there is a brief bit in the nvidia vid too mixed with electronic stuff - but these are all from somewhat set pieces where you clear out an area. Everything else is a kind of grungy ambient electronic noise thus far. Would have to play the game a lot longer to really judge it.

Green Yoshi

Not only has the player never used a controller before but they didn't bother updating the game with the day 1 patch that fixes the tearing.

polygon.vdaf8146.png

Lazy devs that sell broken games that need to be fixed by day one patches. Maybe they should wait until Polygon updates their video. It's their first version of the video after all.

Yes. Day one patches are necessary for online stuff, but the singleplayer campaign should be flawless. Because one day there will be no possibility to download the patch anymore.

Truant

Played for about 40 minutes earlier, the game feels so much better with the unlocked framerate. Even though I only got to around 85 for the most part with my 970 it still felt much better than the locked beta.

All the encounters I've had so far have been pretty fun, game is fast and quite punishing on whatever difficulty is the highest available on the first playthrough.

A little webm I made for funsies.

https://my.mixtape.moe/heujfp.webm

Great video! What settings are you playing at?

There is, though it's kind of a weird, high pitched, tinny voiceover. Not the best IMO. Note: based on the beta. Haven't played the final game yet.

The announcer is the same voice as an AI in the campaign, so I guess that's why they went with that. Still sounds really weird.

I know it's supposed to have secrets, but I'm guess each level is supposed to have at least a couple or a few of them, and worth while to get?

Xyber

Great video! What settings are you playing at?

Mostly medium, maybe a thing or two on high. Still looks pretty good. Didn't change between the different anti-aliasing options, so don't know if I can gain any performance there and bump up the other settings some more. Currently using the standard (TSSAAx8 or whatever it was called).

NotLiquid

Oh my god the Gamespot stream is showing a SnapMap level where someone designed a music maker, complete with a drum sequencer. What

That was badass. Xbox One version looks great.
Runs like a motherfucker, too. Only noticed framedrops in one particularly large area so far.

My only main gripe is the weapon switching. In a world where so many games have done the slow-down-time-but-keep-moving weapon wheel, having one that forces you to stand still is baffling. Especially a game that focuses on movement as much as this one.

Anung

Un Rama
The music is incredible in this. Really bad ass industrial riffs for when you are slaughtering your way through demons. It changes up in dynamic ways though as it'd get a bit overbearing. Some nice mood building ambient pieces for when things slow down and operatic vocal based bits for when you are in hell. The cool bit is how naturally each sound shifts into the other without missing a beat. The way the sounds mix with the guns create a wonderful cacophony.

The slower parts have good me interested in seeing how Mick Gordon handles a horror game like Routine as he certainly doesn't let genres constrain him.

The double barrel in this puts most shotguns to shame. Doom Guy is wearing literal super armour and it still packs such a heavy kick.

Lazy devs that sell broken games that need to be fixed by day one patches. Maybe they should wait until Polygon updates their video. It's their first version of the video after all.

Yes. Day one patches are necessary for online stuff, but the singleplayer campaign should be flawless. Because one day there will be no possibility to download the patch anymore.

Okay this beside the point.

Mechazawa

Is anyone else having issues actually reading the codexes(yeah yeah, I know) with mouse and keyboard?

The scrolling bar doesn't actually work so I'm just stuck with text that cuts off.

Woorloog

Banned
Is anyone else having issues actually reading the codexes(yeah yeah, I know) with mouse and keyboard?

The scrolling bar doesn't actually work so I'm just stuck with text that cuts off.

Select something else and then back to the thing that was stuck. Seems it doesn't load them properly at first or something.

Q

Queen of Hunting

Unconfirmed Member
do you actually vs many cyberdemons in this or is it doom 3 bullshit of one of kind

Nzyme32

so whats the origin of the protagonist ? does the story explain it later on ?

Wouldn't be much of a story if it didn't. The opening is enough to have an idea that the protagonist's origin is being eluded to, but if it goes much further - we'll have to play the game!

Arkanius

I feel ashamed but I'm absolutely at lost on where to go. I've destroyed 2 hives but I cant find neither the blue keycard or the yellow keycard.

I'm at the Stop the Meltdown objective.

I have even found the
classic level secret

Chiggs

Gold Member
One of the Valve guys popped into the Steam Controller thread "to set expectations". Basically it will allow simultaneous mouse and gamepad controls, but for now the game's tool tips / icons will keep switching between mouse & keyboard / gamepad. They'll be working with id to fix it post launch with a patch.

All in all not bad really, considering previous games haven't been able support simultaneous mouse and pad.

Thanks for the info.

Used it during the beta and felt right at home. Singleplayer will obviously play differently, but I can't imagine it changing the experience that much.

Very nice!

Well, it seems as though I'll be able to play a LOT more DOOM this weekend because I appear to have contracted pneumonia. On the one hand, yay, more DOOM! On the other hand, GOD HELP ME, MY LUNGS FEEL LIKE THEY'RE MADE OUT OF SPONGE CAKE!

Mr. Tibbs

Well, it seems as though I'll be able to play a LOT more DOOM this weekend because I appear to have contracted pneumonia. On the one hand, yay, more DOOM! On the other hand, GOD HELP ME, MY LUNGS FEEL LIKE THEY'RE MADE OUT OF SPONGE CAKE!

Holy shit, that's no joke! Wishing you a fast and full recovery!

dogen

Loving the impressions. When Carmack left I was skeptical but it sounds like id still has great talent. They can still make an FPS and if this game is as awesome as it sounds, Marty has proven himself in my eyes. It's still a shame Carmack left.

I think you attribute way to much to single people.

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member

Hope you get better soon dude, pneumonia ain't nothing to fuck about with.

Nemic77

Just saw a stream of someone playing a level on Hell. Soundtrack was great, choirs and everything...

Would be cool if they made the soundtrack available tomorrow. Will only be able to play tomorrow night.

The1Ski

Mostly medium, maybe a thing or two on high. Still looks pretty good. Didn't change between the different anti-aliasing options, so don't know if I can gain any performance there and bump up the other settings some more. Currently using the standard (TSSAAx8 or whatever it was called).

YO WHAT!?!? That's what mostly medium looks like!?

d3vnull

Playing on Nightmare is the right kind of hard and so much fun!
I suck at finding the secrets though. Keep missing them.

Top Bottom