• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DOTA 2 |OT6| Plz vote for Keeper of the Light Arcana

Zeth

Holy shit guys the salt is real. Are we really writing essays about how we hate the meta - it's like a parody at this point, same as every year. '

Bummed to see EG and DK out, but I can't not root for RotK.

I am sure this thread is mainly busy with the big eSports thing thats going on right now, but I've got a quick question to throw out there. Just want to see how some people respond because I imagine at least some of you had to deal with this situation.

Here is my question. How do you deal with constantly losing. Losing not because you played poorly but because your team just wasn't good enough. There isn't much of a skill difference between you and the opposing team, not enough to really matter anyway. Sometimes things go their way, sometimes it goes in your favor. Its even enough that its not one-sided in their or your favor. However some members of your team just drag everything down. Maybe they aren't taking things as seriously, maybe they made the wrong pick at the start, maybe they are just not good enough.

tl:dr So how do you deal with giving a solid performance and yet constantly losing because your team is handicapped by players that aren't on the same skill level or are just not playing as well as the other team.

What's to deal with really? It's a team game this is bound to happen sometimes, and it's swings and roundabouts usually. Everyone has shit streaks sometimes, but I've played like 5 games in the last few days where my mid player just stomped and I barely had to do anything, I can't believe this doesn't happen to other people though no one talks about it.

Also recommend watching your own replays sometimes from a neutral perspective, as if you were casting the game. It can often give you some perspective on the game since it's easier to spot other people's mistakes than your own while playing.

Haunted

ok, question for the Dota 2 pros here.

Legion Commander's Duel mutes the caster and the target, the wiki states that disables auto-casting unique attack modifiers. Desolator is a unique attack modifier. But, at the bottom of the page it lists the item abilities affected by the mute... and the desolator isn't listed.

So, simple question: does the desolator armour debuff work or not work during a duel?

Ketch

Legion Commander's Duel mutes the caster and the target, the wiki states that disables auto-casting unique attack modifiers. Desolator is a unique attack modifier. But, at the bottom of the page it lists the item abilities affected by the mute... and the desolator isn't listed.

So, simple question: does the desolator armour debuff work or not work during a duel?

Does not work. Hit them once before u dual too give debuff. But deso is prob not the item to get.

dave is ok

aztek is ok
Why did they remove the compendium point purchasing before they revealed what the emoticon is going to be?

Guess I'll stay at level 70. I'd be pissed if I was closer to 100.

delicious fanboy tears
cry.gif
crazy.gif

E: fuck mason

I'm a little late on this but

fuck mason

why the fuck wouldn't universe play void with his track record. One man chronos do not win you games.

Desolator does work in duel, so does Eye of Skadi and chain lightning. Lifesteal orbs don't work tho and I think feedback doesn't. The UAM thing is probably just referring to stuff like frost arrows.

BigAT

Deso 100% works, just tested it in game. I'm pretty positive that what that is referring to is toggleable UAM skills for opponents, like Clinkz's Searing Arrow and Vipers' Poison Attack.

Hylian7

I KNEW IT. I knew it was too small

GG volvo, remove all the cool things from the set and then fuck up the hitbox.
Oh man, that is pretty similar to the mistake that led to the creeper being created in Minecraft.

I'm jealous of you people actually in Seattle. Next year, next year.

BraXzy

Is there a timer for when the grand finals start? I've got a few things to get done and don't want to miss them. Am I right in thinking the stream starts at 9am PDT and the actual matches start half an hour later?

Acinixys

Im dumb so someone pls explain the following terms to me because you guys use them all the time and Im lost. I know theyre twitch emotes but im lost on the meanings

BibleThump
ResidentSleeper
Kreygasm

LiQuid!

I proudly and openly admit to wishing death upon the mothers of people I don't like
They need to nerf abilities that damage towers. Shit like Nether Blast and Diabolic Edict are way too good at melting towers very early in the game. It takes a carry a long time and a lot of farm to be able to melt a tower the way those abilities do after only 5-10 minutes.

xKebob

Is there a timer for when the grand finals start? I've got a few things to get done and don't want to miss them. Am I right in thinking the stream starts at 9am PDT and the actual matches start half an hour later?

http://www.timeanddate.com/countdown/generic?iso=20140721T22&p0=110&msg=TI4
I think it'll be an hour before the games start

Im dumb so someone pls explain the following terms to me because you guys use them all the time and Im lost

BibleThump
ResidentSleeper

Kreygasm
http://twitchemotes.com/

Maybe a general buff to building durability to nerf pushing?

IDK, it's up to chilltoad how he wants to balance the game.

Also holy shit the Divine Anchor set is selling for 10 bucks on the Market, Kunkka's gonna be happy.

TUSR

Banned
Im dumb so someone pls explain the following terms to me because you guys use them all the time and Im lost. I know theyre twitch emotes but im lost on the meanings

BibleThump
ResidentSleeper
Kreygasm

BibleThump = crying/sad

ROTK interview BibleThump

ResidentSleeper = boring

Wow this 70 minute chinese dota game is really gooResidentSleeper

Kreygasm = orgasm/amazing

CM finally picked Kreygasm

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
They need to nerf abilities that damage towers. Shit like Nether Blast and Diabolic Edict are way too good at melting towers very early in the game. It takes a carry a long time and a lot of farm to be able to melt a tower the way those abilities do after only 5-10 minutes.

Eh, is it a problem at your level? I'm not really seeing dedicated push strats in my games so much as just a lot of gankball

Hylian7

Nah, that's part of the point of those abilities.

One thing I am hoping for with the more organized pubs of Dota 2 is a style of Techies play where they play here like DP, going mid and blowing up the tower quickly, trapping important locations on the map and rotating for more towers. I expect many bad Techies, but I also expect decent ones that take towers.

ZeroX03

Banned

Most of the heroes with those sort of abilities are pretty much glass cannons anyway. If a Leshrac / Pugna / Jakiro all need to get within tower range to use those sort of skills, you can push to keep the creep camps at bay or have someone gank.

kvk1

BibleThump
ResidentSleeper
Kreygasm

BibleThump

cry.gif

ResidentSleeper

sleeping.gif

Kreygasm

surprise.gif

Roughly.

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
no... just no... This is why dota is an awesome game, an evolving meta. Months ago, EG helped usher in this greed meta of naga mids, offlane void, etc... just cores everywhere even as your 5 support (i.e. wraith king, mirana). The strategy these Chinese teams came up with to crush this shit, is... 5 man push. Crush one of the main cores with a lane molester like venomancer and then push before these heroes can get items and go late game.

Adapt or lose. EG failed to adapt. Alliance failed to adapt. Navi failed to adapt. Dota is all about adapting and coming up with new strategies, and this time around, the two best teams, Newbee and VG, won out and outplayed the rest (all having to struggle through the group stages and win a shiiiit ton of bo3's against the best teams).

Sorry that every match can't be pure team deathmatch and press R to win. Tide/enigma don't automatically win every game. People seem to have a thing against strategic dota and killing buildings...which is what the entire game is about rofl. You get too greedy with your drafts, you get punished for it, and VG figured out the perfect way to punish all these greedy ass teams. "guys china is so boring just farm for 80 minutes." "guys split push is so dumb." "guys wtf china is winning games in 20 minutes so dumb even i can do it and i am 2k mmr." Literally won't be happy until the game becomes wtf mode with everyone zapping each other with spam lina ultimates.

My point is this: if one single unchanging strategy (5 man deathball) has been unable to be successfully countered by literally every single other team invited to the event, then isn't it at least worth considering that the strategy is slightly overpowered in the current meta?

Most of these games haven't even been competitive. Just insane domination which is objectively bad for a spectator game. It's easy to say "they didn't adapt right" but NOBODY did, so really the more logical conclusion in my mind is that it's not even really possible to deal with consistently.

My point is this: if one single unchanging strategy (5 man deathball) has been unable to be successfully countered by literally every single other team invited to the event, then isn't it at least worth considering that the strategy is slightly overpowered in the current meta?

Most of these games haven't even been competitive. Just insane domination which is objectively bad for a spectator game. It's easy to say "they didn't adapt right" but NOBODY did, so really the more logical conclusion in my mind is that it's not even really possible to deal with consistently.
just pick kotl ez counter

why am i not in ti4 valve plz

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Sorry that every match can't be pure team deathmatch and press R to win. Tide/enigma don't automatically win every game. People seem to have a thing against strategic dota and killing buildings...which is what the entire game is about rofl. You get too greedy with your drafts, you get punished for it, and VG figured out the perfect way to punish all these greedy ass teams. "guys china is so boring just farm for 80 minutes." "guys split push is so dumb." "guys wtf china is winning games in 20 minutes so dumb even i can do it and i am 2k mmr." Literally won't be happy until the game becomes wtf mode with everyone zapping each other with spam lina ultimates.

I like variety. TI3, IIRC, actually featured good variety. Some 80 minute farm fests. Some 20 minute push dominations. A lot of ~45 minute "protect the carry until teamfights" games. This International has seemed more homogenous in terms of strategy and therefore more boring for me to watch.

Quesa

I like variety. TI3, IIRC, actually featured good variety. Some 80 minute farm fests. Some 20 minute push dominations. A lot of ~45 minute "protect the carry until teamfights" games. This International has seemed more homogenous in terms of strategy and therefore more boring for me to watch.

Yeah I think the complaints stem more from seeing one type of play dominate than from watching the actual strategy itself.

That said I think this year's TI has shown us a lot of variety in terms of play and characters, especially when you consider that there have been a few occasions where the same characters have been played in different positions (though not always beneficially). And while I rooted for EG and don't want Newbee to win, I'd be stupid if I didn't say that EG didn't adapt/were too greedy and Newbee/VG didn't earn their wins -- I mean Newbee had to work their way up from Phase 3! The only thing I'm miffed about is the lack of lycan picks, but that's just me.

Game 2 of C9 vs Vici was one of the best games I've watched, and they showed they could counter Vici's deathball, although maybe they had to play out of their skull to do it. Who knows if they hadn't suddenly decided they were playing in a GiantBomb tournament for game 3 maybe it could have been a different TI.

Yeah I think the complaints stem more from seeing one type of play dominate than from watching the actual strategy itself.

That said I think this year's TI has shown us a lot of variety in terms of play and characters, especially when you consider that there have been a few occasions where the same characters have been played in different positions (though not always beneficially). And while I rooted for EG and don't want Newbee to win, I'd be stupid if I didn't say that EG didn't adapt/were too greedy and Newbee/VG didn't earn their wins -- I mean Newbee had to work their way up from Phase 3! The only thing I'm miffed about is the lack of lycan picks, but that's just me.

Hard to pick someone when he's banned all the time!

God I wish I could have seen what VG and Newbee could do with a Lycan on their team. 10 mins T3 ez.

Ketch

Wow, Really surprised desolater works in dual. I don't think it should… You're supposed to be muted and it's a UAM. Does that mean deso works if you've been doomed as well? Are there other UAMs that work while muted? Pretty sure Icefrog is just what they call the magic 8ball in the valve office.

On the subject of the only thing that actually matters: How can anybody think that push strats are OP in dota? I'd say that they're traditionally cheesy gambles that normally don't work out… VGs play at TI4 doesn't all of a sudden make the strategy OP.

EG could have won, but they made terrible decisions in the draft and in the game. I would go so far to say that they should have won. It's not like VG's plan was a secret. Of all the the teams they beat yesterday EG had the best opportunity to develop and execute a counter strategy… but they failed, spectacularly. After all day of watching VG push their way to victory, they get to game 3 of the most important series of their career and say "I don't know, I guess imbersaw is good here?". And it's not that one pick lost them the game, it's that they didn't have a clear answer to what should have been an obvious problem.

You need to come to game 3 of that series see a first pick NP, second pick Veno and KNOW what they're going to do and exactly how you're going to stop it.

Then, even if you don't know what to do and you draft a shitty line up… and you make a shitty decision that's going to cost you Rax, you don't GG out of the semi finals because you're probably going to loose. Fuck that. You play that game out, even if playing it out means you team wipe again defending t4's 60 seconds from now.

Ask LGD why you don't GG out when you loose Rax.

Hylian7

Trying to climb from the solo 3k hell sure is fun.
Fuck people like that. Why do they even play ranked, especially if they don't care about their MMR and would rather just shit up everyone else's. Reminds of the boot stealing Windrunner I had on my team the other day.

Tobe

Finally unbanned where is everybody gonna be ice been sitting at 108-110

Also is anybody staying till the 23 and want to share a room I'll pay half of that night or might point me to some cheap last day option?

Top Bottom