• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DOTA 2 |OT6| Plz vote for Keeper of the Light Arcana

pompidu

Anything over MAYBE 5 minutes for spawn camping is super, duper rare. 5 minutes even is very rare. Let's be real here they'll get a few kills then end it. It might feel like 20 minutes but just no.

Was over exaggerating spawn camping. Its annoying. Now 20 mins to end a game that has no way of coming back is common. I would like a surrender button so I can move on to the next game, and not wait for the opposing team to decide to end it.

shira

I opened 5 got none fucking icefrog

UrDZj4i.gif

Blessed are those who hunger and thirst for righteousness, for they shall be satisfied

Was over exaggerating spawn camping. Its annoying. Now 20 mins to end a game that has no way of coming back is common. I would like a surrender button so I can move on to the next game, and not wait for the opposing team to decide to end it.

You should be looking for ways to come back. It's more likely to happen than you think. Smoke ganks, smart warding, sneaking roshes, intelligent pick offs and good team fights can do wonders.

VanMastaIteHab

Neo Member
I have a random noob question (at like 600 hours into the game lol) after watching TI/a lot of videos where this happens. When killing a jungle camp, why do people always kill the biggest creep first, then go for the smaller ones? It would make more sense to me to kill the smaller ones first because you'll do it quicker and therefore reduce the amount of damage you take overall.

I have a random noob question (at like 600 hours into the game lol) after watching TI/a lot of videos where this happens. When killing a jungle camp, why do people always kill the biggest creep first, then go for the smaller ones? It would make more sense to me to kill the smaller ones first because you'll do it quicker and therefore reduce the amount of damage you take overall.
I think most of the time it's to remove auras like the satyr hp regen, wildkin armor, wolf damage etc from the small ones making them easier overall.

I'm pretty sure someone has done all the math for hp to damage and figured it was best to kill big creeps first from a DPS you'd be taking stand point as well, pretty sure I saw a spreadsheet with that on it.

Maybe just think of it as maybe the enemy is right next to you and if you only have a chance to get one, get the one with the most gold and xp, if you have to get out quick and leave him with shit.

Kreunt

Banned

The bigger creeps also hit a lot harder, so you could argue its more hp efficient to get rid of them first (i haven't actually done the maths on this though).
Additionally, bigger creeps are worth more gold/xp so you want to take them out first in case you need to abandon the camp, bigger creeps also usually have spells/stuns you might want to get rid of first.
It's probably mostly just a habit thing though.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist

For most creep camps, it actually works out that you will take less damage if you kill the big one first, they normally do far more DPS then the small ones. I think the only exception I can think off the top of my head is the Ogre camp, the blue one has less HP but does the same damage. There is detailed posts that go over which creep you should target first for every camp.

VanMastaIteHab

Neo Member
I think most of the time it's to remove auras like the satyr hp regen, wildkin armor, wolf damage etc from the small ones making them easier overall.

I'm pretty sure someone has done all the math for hp to damage and figured it was best to kill big creeps first from a DPS you'd be taking stand point as well, pretty sure I saw a spreadsheet with that on it.

Maybe just think of it as maybe the enemy is right next to you and if you only have a chance to get one, get the one with the most gold and xp, if you have to get out quick and leave him with shit.

Interesting, ok thanks. That seems so counter-intuitive but then again Dota is not the most intuitive game.

The priority differs per camp. At a Centaur camp it's true that the smaller one has half the bigger one's health, but it does less than half his damage, that plus the fact that the bigger one gives a attack speed aura that makes you take more damage the longer it lives means that you'll want to kill it first.

To give another (easier) example, at the Wildwing camp the smaller ones have a slightly higher damage:health ratio than the big one, but the big one has a +3 armor aura that decreases your damage by a lot early on, so you'll want to kill it first most of the time.

There was a good YouTube video on this but I'm on my phone.

Interesting, ok thanks. That seems so counter-intuitive but then again Dota is not the most intuitive game.
It's not really counter-intuitive.

For example:

http://dota2.gamepedia.com/Large_Satyr_Camp

The largest neutral in the camp does over 2x the damage that the other 2 creeps in the camp do. It is in your best interest to kill off the large, damage-dealing creep first. It also gives you the most experience, which could mean leveling up. This is true for virtually every neutral camp in Dota 2, LoL, or Smite. Get rid of the biggest damage dealer and its passive, then focus on the insignificant creeps that remain.

I'm not really sure why any of this is surprising to you or why it would require in-depth explanations after 600 hours. But hopefully a bit of further research on your own will help you answer your own questions. People don't do it out of habit or some other nonsense. Frankly I'm surprised nobody bothered to actually offer more than a half-assed answer already. It's far from a mystery.

fallagin

It really depends on a lot of things. Sometimes it is a good Idea to take out weaker guys first on some camps, but sometimes you have spells that will take them out anyways so its more efficient to do damage to the large creep. If you have a battlefury it is the same sort of thing, the cleave will damage the weaker ones usually enough to kill them. Not to mention the one that steve said about auras.

Anyways, I'm not sure if it is set in stone that you must do that. Especially early on it can be pretty beneficial to take out weaker guys, except in a snow ghost camp, that slow is messed up.

but look at him he's smiling and all
highfive.gif

Eh, it's a vague smirk at best.

For example:

The largest neutral in the camp does over 2x the damage that the other 2 creeps in the camp do. It is in your best interest to kill off the large, damage-dealing creep first. It also gives you the most experience, which could mean leveling up. This is true for virtually every neutral camp in Dota 2, LoL, or Smite. Get rid of the biggest damage dealer and its passive, then focus on the insignificant creeps that remain.

I'm not really sure why any of this is surprising to you or why it would require in-depth explanations after 600 hours. But hopefully a bit of further research on your own will help you answer your own questions. People don't do it out of habit or some other nonsense. Frankly I'm surprised nobody bothered to actually offer more than a half-assed answer already. It's far from a mystery.

I think the general videogamer tendency is to burst down the enemy with the smallest HP pool as quickly as possible so you can to lower their total DPS, and it holds true in a lot of games like JRPGs or RTS games, or boss battles that include henchmen. It's just that the large creeps in MOBA jungle camps are disproportionately stronger than the small ones, and the weaker creeps don't really do much damage at all.

Yo Cyborgmatt, I was thinking of buying Shagbark the Plush from welovefine, but I'm a bit low on cash for the moment -- do you think it'll be stocked for a while? It's too cute, lol.
I'd imagine that any stock not sold at TI will go back to the site stock, so yeah you should be ok for the time being.

VanMastaIteHab

Neo Member

For example:

By counter-intuitive, I meant that while you're playing it doesn't really seem like the big ones are doing all that much more damage. But when you look at the numbers it does make sense.

Anyway, thanks for all the answers people, very helpful.

Man every game since getting back from TI has been a struggle. Magnus farming rapiers to charge into the well as we try to take rax that turns a won game into a 25 minute stalemate by giving a Sven with Io support the biggest present ever. Venos deciding that they are core after one kill and stealing farm from Anti-Mage. Shadow Shaman buying Diffusal first item. The jungling Sniper from the other day. CD captains that bans Bloodseeker and TA so that he can first pick Slark, last pick a random Axe, and then feeds from 12-4 to 21-15.

Like I am even winning most of these but it bums me out because I feel like I am playing Fantasy Babysitter and not Dota =/

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Man every game since getting back from TI has been a struggle. Magnus farming rapiers to charge into the well as we try to take rax that turns a won game into a 25 minute stalemate by giving a Sven with Io support the biggest present ever. Venos deciding that they are core after one kill and stealing farm from Anti-Mage. Shadow Shaman buying Diffusal first item. The jungling Sniper from the other day. CD captains that bans Bloodseeker and TA so that he can first pick Slark, last pick a random Axe, and then feeds from 12-4 to 21-15.

Like I am even winning most of these but it bums me out because I feel like I am playing Fantasy Babysitter and not Dota =/

Dumb Speculation: The game booming is causing MMR inflation to entire the system. Due to our period of inactivity, our MMR stayed static, where the average moved up. In addition, young players tend to be both really good at the game and having no fucking clue at what they are doing, so they often come off as idiots.

In other news, BLACK OFFICIALLY FREE AGENT!!
http://t.qq.com/p/t/429921075623801

Dumb Speculation: The game booming is causing MMR inflation to entire the system. Due to our period of inactivity, our MMR stayed static, where the average moved up. In addition, young players tend to be both really good at the game and having no fucking clue at what they are doing, so they often come off as idiots.

In other news, BLACK OFFICIALLY FREE AGENT!!
http://t.qq.com/p/t/429921075623801

I am going to hold on to this theory.

Also ready for NaVi.Black

Really cool to see so much support for him in the comments there. Hope everything works out for him and can find a decent team. He's been in the scene for so long but hasn't really had any big stand out accomplishments

DpUDOfQ.png

that subtle plug to get him on Na'Vi or EG. :333333

pls make it so. he's the Kevin Love of Doto free agents.

WHY DO PEOPLE WHO DONT WANT TO WIN PLAY THIS FUCKING SHITTY GAME

I (Lina) was playing with satch (Huskar) and ties (mirana) abandoned cause his internet went down and the lone druid we had left right after. So then it's just Lina, Huskar and Ember Spirit left against CM, Earthshaker, Invoker, Brewmaster, and Undying. They couldn't push against us, they could barely win teamfights against us without losing 3 or 4 people. Huskar was tanking everything, they focused me down for some reason, and Ember was tearing them apart with sleight + battlefury + crit. Even with roshan, they couldn't push past t3. Then ember starts pussying out of fights and not spamming sleight like he should be and ripping their squishy ass team to shreds. He would just watch me and satch die after one sleight and try to escape like this was a normal game and he had to preserve his life at all costs. Like does it fucking matter if you die when it was a last ditch effort?

god, I'm fucking angry, we were going to win against them

i7P5XjyWgoNt2.gif

According to reddit Peruvian summer vacation is coming up soon, so NA servers will be temporarily flooded by Peruvians kids that even other Peruvians don't want to queue with.

WHY DO PEOPLE WHO DONT WANT TO WIN PLAY THIS FUCKING SHITTY GAME

I (Lina) was playing with satch (Huskar) and ties (mirana) abandoned cause his internet went down and the lone druid we had left right after. So then it's just Lina, Huskar and Ember Spirit left against CM, Earthshaker, Invoker, Brewmaster, and Undying. They couldn't push against us, they could barely win teamfights against us without losing 3 or 4 people. Huskar was tanking everything, they focused me down for some reason, and Ember was tearing them apart with sleight + battlefury + crit. Even with roshan, they couldn't push past t3. Then ember starts pussying out of fights and not spamming sleight like he should be and ripping their squishy ass team to shreds. He would just watch me and satch die after one sleight and try to escape like this was a normal game and he had to preserve his life at all costs. Like does it fucking matter if you die when it was a last ditch effort?

god, I'm fucking angry, we were going to win against them

i7P5XjyWgoNt2.gif

Those feels. Ya'll need to start inviting ya boy to some games.

I'm just sayin. I have good internets. 3,000+ games, 0% abandon rate.

According to reddit Peruvian summer vacation is coming up soon, so NA servers will be temporarily flooded by Peruvians kids that even other Peruvians don't want to queue with.

queue EuroW if it's a big concern to you. personally, I haven't found English speakers to behave much better.

Awesome. For some reason I thought you made them yourself, hah.
I spent just under a year getting the product from concept to retail. The idea of making them myself would keep me awake at night.

Here's one of the many prototypes that will show just how far we came with the finished version.

BCDc8IC.png

Grakl

I spent just under a year getting the product from concept to retail. The idea of making them myself would keep me awake at night.

Here's one of the many prototypes that will show just how far we came with the finished version.

BCDc8IC.png

lol, that's still not too bad. The finished product is really great, though. A whole year for the concept seems pretty crazy.

How am I suppose to make a Furion set if every one else keeps making sets for him.
EDa6OQX.gif

I also need to come up with an idea that lets me get shades in. Kind of how ixmike got his stache in with the shoulder piece on CM.

Top Bottom