• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DOTA2 |OT14| i give up like your pubs do

Anbokr

Bull on a Donut
OK well Radiance TB worked out.

Jeraziah being played as a carry sounds quite odd but who knows what HoN players got up to.

I was just citing Jera as an example of a hero in HoN who wanted linken's simply to sustain their mana pool with good stats and decent survivability to boot. So all kinds of mid heroes and safe lane heroes that spammed a spell in order to flash farm would buy linken's first in the same way a carry who flash farms through right clicks buys battlefury first.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
By the way guys, Chitoge won.
cry.gif

TUSR

Banned
SoBayed WHERE ARE YOU NOW ONODERA FANSHITS SoBayed YOU THINK SHE IS THE PROMISED GIRL HUH SoBayed RAKU IS BANGING CHITOGE NOW

Low Tier
SoBayed WHERE ARE YOU NOW ONODERA FANSHITS SoBayed YOU THINK SHE IS THE PROMISED GIRL HUH SoBayed RAKU IS BANGING CHITOGE NOW

Qvoth

haven't read nisekoi since i quit manga
chitoge won? well that's to be expected, she's always been the main girl
i'll get back when i have nothing else to catch up to

on another note, very surprised fnatic 2-0d dc

D

Deleted member 77995

Unconfirmed Member
going from witcher 1 to witcher 2 is pretty damn jarring

Witcher 2 has its fair share of jank but I loved playing through it. I've tried to beat Witcher 1 several times but stopped at chapter 2 or 3. Raymond's quest always sours me.

Witcher 2 has its fair share of jank but I loved playing through it. I've tried to beat Witcher 1 several times but stopped at chapter 2 or 3. Raymond's quest always sours me.

yea i wasn't fond of chapter 2

lol witcher combat lol

it's like going from kotor combat to bloodborne combat

Just wait until you see 3. Its a real achievement

yea hopefully the goty edition comes out by the time im done with 2

Haly

Couldn't get into 1.

Couldn't get into 2.

I'd give 3 a shot but honestly I'm better off playing HYPER LIGHT DRIFTER.

Ruined the game for me. Loved W1 and 2 but honestly couldn't get into W3. W2 was very similar in combat but I guess my standards are higher these days than 4 years ago.

Well you did get a taste of good combat in Dragons Dogma so there is definitely no going back from here.

I only put up with the janky combat in the Witcher games because the story is decent.

Well you did get a taste of good combat in Dragons Dogma so there is definitely no going back from here.

I only put up with the janky combat in the Witcher games because the story is decent.

Dragon's Dogma is the most fun action RPG I have ever played to be honest. Cannot believe how much I enjoyed that game.

Dragon's Dogma is the most fun action RPG I have ever played to be honest. Cannot believe how much I enjoyed that game.

I'm really happy it finally got a PC release. I always wanted to do another play through but i could never go back to the PS3 version. And the PC audience seems to like it a lot as well.
Now we just need a sequel.

In my opinion, western developers have dropped the ball with how shitty virtually all of their RPGs play. These days I consider good game mechanics and tight controls/movement to be absolutely essential. Witcher 3 was better than DD in virtually every single department...other than gameplay and hence clearly the worse game in opinion. I absolutely intend to pick Witcher 3 up again at some point but I will really have to force myself to look past its gameplay.

I used to be more tolerant of jank but life's too short to play stuff that is no fun to play.

Haly

let's be honest here western games never had better gameplay than jp games during any era of gaming

Haly

I stopped playing dragon's dogma because of the localization

no lie, it was legit the first time I was so put off by a localization quirk I lost all will to ply a game

"aught"

facepalm.gif

let's be honest here western games never had better gameplay than jp games at any era of gaming

Depends on what you consider "gameplay". I consider most of the western isometric RPG classics from the late 90s and early 2000s to be fantastic games from almost any point of view. I just recently (2014) finished Icewind Dale (remastered) on Steam and it was excellent. WRPGs have deteriorated once they started catering towards bigger audiences and particularly to the console audience. I've got to be that blunt.

Also, I recall mentioning it in another thread but Morrowind's, Witcher's or Baldur's Gate 2's combat did not bother me overly much actually. Morrowind is oftentimes considered one of the worst offenders with respect to combat but I remember being perfectly content with the fact that my longsword skill was low, hence my misschance high. I could do something about it and leveling up felt impactful. All these games featured very classic, RPG-ey approaches to combat which I was fine with. I did and do not consider it bad gameplay or broken mechanics. In fact, I reinstalled Morrowind + some crazy enhancement mods in 2014 and had a blast for 2-3h again.

However, once you develop an action combat for your RPG, my expectations will obviously shift and will clearly be shaped by what I know in the action RPG genre. I can't help but compare Witcher 3's combat to Dragon's Dogma or Soulsborne. Why wouldn't I?

Incidentally, JRPGs had their golden age during the exact same time period (possibly 1-2 years earlier). I have my fondest gaming memories of the late 90s.

Haly

the best western gameplay is Divinity: Original Sin

However, once you develop an action combat for your RPG, my expectations will obviously shift and will clearly be shaped by what I know in the action RPG genre. I can't help but compare Witcher 3's combat to Dragon's Dogma or Soulsborne. Why wouldn't I?

Comparing the combat in similar games is fine but i wouldn't judge the whole game based on a part of it that some developers deem more important than others.
The parts that are going to stick with me from The Witcher games is not the combat or the janky controls but parts of the story and the side quests.
Similarly i am not going to remember anything about the story in Dragons Dogma. Instead i am going to remember all the fun i had with the combat, crawling through dungeons, picking up loot and swapping pawns.

Story and sidequests and so forth are secondary or tertiary to me personally. I can see why others would put their emphasis on that but I don't. If the gameplay sucks, I'm out.

shira

How is there not a gaming side thread about this?

http://store.steampowered.com/news/22883/

Seems valve have decided the CS:GO scandal and associated lawsuit has enough teeth to start the PURGE: ELECTION YEAR of digital hat gambling sites.

Edit: JK there was a thread, here it is: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1246003

Twitch following suit.
Today Valve released an announcement clarifying the intended use of Steam’s trading system and OpenID API. Valve specifically notes that using “the OpenID API and making the same web calls as Steam users to run a gambling business is not allowed by our API nor our user agreements.”

As a reminder, per Twitch’s Terms of Service, broadcasters are not permitted to stream content that breaks the terms of service or user agreements of third-parties. As such, content in which the broadcaster uses or promotes services that violate Valve’s stated restrictions is prohibited on Twitch. Our Rules of Conduct lists other examples such as playing pirated games and playing on unauthorized private servers.

Maybe this is why EE and RTZ jumped ship

Story and sidequests and so forth are secondary or tertiary to me personally. I can see why others would put their emphasis on that but I don't. If the gameplay sucks, I'm out.

Yeah, gameplay should be the most important factor and developers should strive to make it as good as possible yet i still couldn't tell you whether i like The Witcher or DD more. For me personally they go into two different categories. "Story driven ARPG" and "ARPG".

Top Bottom