• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DOTA2 |OT15| anime only please

Anbokr

Bull on a Donut

dam, so riot is like the neogaf of mobas
laugh.gif

Hylian7

The art direction looks offendingly ugly. Is it as bad ingame as on pictures?

I won't sugarcoat it: It's very anime, but it hasn't really bothered me.

The UI and some of the art style choices look damn nice though. One in particular I liked was how the people that are just "the crowd" that you can't talk to and are walking everywhere are just colored silhouettes. It's a really neat stylistic thing.

The FE characters covering their faces is a nice touch (with the exception of Tiki). Enemies' weaknesses can be figured out by looking at what weapon they are using too. (Sword/Axe/Lance/Bow are added to the usual SMT/Persona weakness chart).

They also censored stuff too for the western release, but it didn't bother me too much other than one chapter that was about gravure models that really misses the point with the censorship.

Also the music is fucking great: https://youtu.be/9zs4iDaU6do

Neol

You can get banned because your team didn't want you to pick a champion?

The crux of the whole thing is that Riot doesn't want people picking champions that traditionally aren't meant to be in the support role. For comparison its like putting a hard carry in a position 5 role where in some games it can work but in others you'll lose because of the lack of CC and supporting abilities that people expect from that role.

However Singed, the champion in the argument, has a good amount of supporting abilities with a slow and a disable that is pretty effective and I can honestly see him doing decent in the role. If there were heroes that I had to compare him with it would be like putting a Dark Seer or an Alchemist in position 4/5 where it seems alright but not for every game.

inkls

The crux of the whole thing is that Riot doesn't want people picking champions that traditionally aren't meant to be in the support role. For comparison its like putting a hard carry in a position 5 role where in some games it can work but in others you'll lose because of the lack of CC and supporting abilities that people expect from that role.

However Singed, the champion in the argument, has a good amount of supporting abilities with a slow and a disable that is pretty effective and I can honestly see him doing decent in the role. If there were heroes that I had to compare him with it would be like putting a Dark Seer or an Alchemist in position 4/5 where it seems alright but not for every game.

wasn't there a support mf played at worlds less then a month ago?

Neol

wasn't there a support mf played at worlds less then a month ago?

Yes there was!

MF, traditionally a carry champion, is a decent support cause she has a decent slow and a great early game making it easy to dominate lane and get kills for your carry early on. The main reason why it was picked in world's however is that she is a hard counter to another support called Zyra who spawns plants that attack creeps and heroes, similar to Venomancer plague wards, and MF has an autoattack passive that allows her to kill those plants easier. She also worked in this sense cause she was picked along side another carry called Ashe who also has a slow and a huge stun as her ultimate making it easy to pick out targets and burst them to death in this case being Zyra who has no mobility skills to escape from the heavy CC.

So while that worked in worlds a lot of people don't recognize that you need specific reasons and a comp to work around it which lead to her winrate taking a massive hit after worlds.

With the discussion at hand Singed can be a decent support and I personally don't find it to be a bannable offense but since he's not a traditional support people have to work around his faults and liabilities which is kinda asking much for a lot of people. Its different in Dota where the heroes are a lot more flexible but its like putting Dark Seer in position 5.

Can it work? Yes. But would I rather have that than a rubick or bane? No.

Titanfall 2 has made me cut my DOTA time for the last couple of weeks. Game is pretty good and hitting a pilot in mid—air after a double eject feels just as good as any 5 man echo slams i've ever had.

Campaign is one of the best FPS campaigns i've played in ages. Only DOOM 2016 comes close.

I wouldn't go that far, I feel Press Turn is deeper, as it's easier to exploit, and Session offers no defensive advantages (in many boss fights in SMT games, the answer isn't necessarily offense, but to have one demon that nulls/repels whatever the enemy uses).

I was surprised to see the enemies using Session though, definitely was not expecting that.

I do hope that they are able to incorporate parts of the session system in future (spin—off) SMT games, kind of like the system that they used in strange journey. My main gripe with that system was that you were forced to use demons with the same alignment. But i really like the idea of team—up attacks.

Hylian7

Titanfall 2 has made me cut my DOTA time for the last couple of weeks. Game is pretty good and hitting a pilot in mid—air after a double eject feels just as good as any 5 man echo slams i've ever had.

Campaign is one of the best FPS campaigns i've played in ages. Only DOOM 2016 comes close.

I do hope that they are able to incorporate parts of the session system in future (spin—off) SMT games, kind of like the system that they used in strange journey. My main gripe with that system was that you were forced to use demons with the same alignment. But i really like the idea of team—up attacks.

Yeah, demon co-op was neat, but there was one thing that bothered me about SJ in general: You had to decide all your moves before any were executed (whereas in Nocturne and SMT4/SMT4A it's executed immediately after you choose it per demon). So if you use an Agi spell and kill something, and another demon uses Agi as well, and then the other thing left repels fire...RIP. I'm glad SJ didn't have quite the alignment hell older games had, where you couldn't even SUMMON demons that weren't in the right alignment. They had one of the "difficulty hacks" in Soul Hackers be to remove that restriction, and honestly I can't say I blame people that used it.

shira

how is riot still doing this shit. Especially awful since a lot of the public faces of league (pros, casters) don't seem to agree with riot on this.

You have 100M people playing. You need different rules to keep people happy and spending money in that super casual/young adult market

I'm sure if Dota 2 had 100M people playing and they were making 10x what they are now there would be advanced algorithms that maximized profit/action taken.

You have 100M people playing. You need different rules to keep people happy and spending money in that super casual/young adult market

I'm sure if Dota 2 had 100M people playing and they were making 10x what they are now there would be advanced algorithms that maximized profit/action taken.
wha? banning people for not conforming to an arbitrary meta is not more casual friendly, it's less. It's a massive barrier to entry and necessitates reading guides/following pro league/being up to date on the game even when you've taken a hiatus.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Because the majority of players just say "good riddance". For every one player they alienate, a hundred others applaud rito for making league great again.

Because the majority of players just say "good riddance". For every one player they alienate, a hundred others applaud rito for making league great again.

Is this even true though? I mean in the heat of the moment yeah people get assmad about offmeta picks, but when you ask them outside a game? I'm skeptical very many people would be for banning this. Especially if you explain to them that Riot's reasoning is because it's a "refusal to communicate with your team" which should also imply that you're not allowed to play heroes that you haven't played before, or your team doesn't like, or you have a low winrate on, or isn't a winning matchup, etc.. In practicality, Riot's justification is totally nonsensical since there are near infinite instances in which someone picks something that matches what they call "not communicating with your team", and yet it clearly doesn't match what they think is bannable.

as usual it's not really that huge an issue. League's "meta" is notably inflexible compared to dota and at the point you're picking distinctly wild picks it kinda does basically amount to trolling your team. It's dumb and an official ban shouldn't happen but this thread and all previous ones have variations of rage at teammates for picking shit like "support tsaw" or carry chen (which is actually viable and I am in the process of refining tbh), and I've been in tons of games with reports for "off meta" picks in dota. Try playing carry AA in every game for a week and avoiding LP, it would be tough.

Keeping the game (relatively) simple and restricting novel strats has been League's bread and butter since it debuted. The constant shock and horror from the frothing dota stans whenever R*ot does something entirely normal and expected used to be funny but is honestly kind of sad and tired at this point, especially when much of it seems genuine.

as usual it's not really that huge an issue. League's "meta" is notably inflexible compared to dota and at the point you're picking distinctly wild picks it kinda does basically amount to trolling your team. It's dumb and an official ban shouldn't happen but this thread and all previous ones have variations of rage at teammates for picking shit like "support tsaw" or carry chen (which is actually viable and I am in the process of refining tbh), and I've been in tons of games with reports for "off meta" picks in dota. Try playing carry AA in every game for a week and avoiding LP, it would be tough.

Keeping the game (relatively) simple and restricting novel strats has been League's bread and butter since it debuted. The constant shock and horror from the frothing dota stans whenever R*ot does something entirely normal and expected used to be funny but is honestly kind of sad and tired at this point, especially when much of it seems genuine.
You see clowny ass picks in dota all the time. Wisp mids, 1 role pugna, I'm not sure there's a hero I can think of that's only played in a single role, and the reason it's like that is that there wasn't some arbiter saying "no, this hero is supposed to be played here." Instead, it developed organically and people could actually play what they wanted.

Also, I'm not sure the league meta is as inflexible as you think. Last time I played league, I ran ashe support or jinx solo top every game. I don't believe I lost. There are players at the top of the ladder such as that singed player, and historically people like the xerath only player when xerath was GARBAGE. People were playing annie support and offlane before it was played on a stage, and the same with MF support. It may not be as flexible as DOTA, but to say it's so inflexible that banning people for deviance isn't a massive fucking deal is absurd.

Oh, and this is from the person who always defends riot when that the shitty "lawl riot sux" images get posted in here. I don't think I've ever not bitten that bait.

inkls

Yes there was!

MF, traditionally a carry champion, is a decent support cause she has a decent slow and a great early game making it easy to dominate lane and get kills for your carry early on. The main reason why it was picked in world's however is that she is a hard counter to another support called Zyra who spawns plants that attack creeps and heroes, similar to Venomancer plague wards, and MF has an autoattack passive that allows her to kill those plants easier. She also worked in this sense cause she was picked along side another carry called Ashe who also has a slow and a huge stun as her ultimate making it easy to pick out targets and burst them to death in this case being Zyra who has no mobility skills to escape from the heavy CC.

So while that worked in worlds a lot of people don't recognize that you need specific reasons and a comp to work around it which lead to her winrate taking a massive hit after worlds.

With the discussion at hand Singed can be a decent support and I personally don't find it to be a bannable offense but since he's not a traditional support people have to work around his faults and liabilities which is kinda asking much for a lot of people. Its different in Dota where the heroes are a lot more flexible but its like putting Dark Seer in position 5.

Can it work? Yes. But would I rather have that than a rubick or bane? No.

But how are people supposed to know what goes well together or not if doing unconventional things are looked down on unless a pro does it? Sometime its also not a case of a bad pick, but simply lack of practice on a good pick.

As for the dark seer point, it would depend on the lineup, the main issue is that his main offensive power during the landing stage is ion shell which would take farm if you put it any place near your carry or his/her creeps. Now, a dark seer + bounty hunter or riki roaming duo I could see happening.

DV buys every game tho?

It's like having a crush on that cute chick in school. Sure she smiles at everyone but it still feels good when she smiles at you.
charm_smile.gif

Thanks for the kind words Quesa and Tart Toter!
happytears.gif

Anyone here in the Gwent beta? I have literally no one on my GOG friends list
tears.gif

Neol

But how are people supposed to know what goes well together or not if doing unconventional things are looked down on unless a pro does it? Sometime its also not a case of a bad pick, but simply lack of practice on a good pick.

As for the dark seer point, it would depend on the lineup, the main issue is that his main offensive power during the landing stage is ion shell which would take farm if you put it any place near your carry or his/her creeps. Now, a dark seer + bounty hunter or riki roaming duo I could see happening.

People experiment all the time and I do agree Riot's stance on how rigid there game has to be is a point I don't believe in. Its just the guy was doing it in ranked instead of doing it normals where it is more acceptable. I know a lot of people essentailly treat ranked as normals but playing in an environment where tensions are high and people want to win doesn't give you that much leeway to do whatever they want.

Also after looking further into it the thread is kinda a bait as the singed player didn't really play the support role(buying wards, taking care of the carry,etc) so in the end the player is kinda an asshole and just did whatever he wanted.

Top Bottom