• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DOTA2 |OT15| anime only please

Kard8p3

nervous.gif

thats the devil talkin
doom-penta.gif

D

Deleted member 77995

Unconfirmed Member
Playing with a fairly newish friend (about ~40 matches) and the matchmaking is just awful. Every low level friend that is playing with their friends on the enemy team is 100% smurfing for reasons I don't understand. For example played this game and it's clear within about 1 minute of the game starting that the DK and Enigma are actually brand new (account level 2 and 3) while the enemy Magnus and PA are not (level 2 and 4). They somehow threw a huge lead early and through some micro management the enigma learned to stay out of teamfights until he could safely blackhole and we ended up outscaling.

Decided to look back on that Mag account just now and here's their next game. 7-73 in a 31 minute game and I'm sure they were as toxic in all chat in that game as they were in mine. Just absolute awful attitudes straight from the bottom of reddit. Thanks Trump.

Edit: Yup, here's the chat just like I thought.
"i hope you niggers hang yourselves" such class NA Dota

Hylian7

Also PSA, Nocturne, DDS 1 & 2, Persona 3, and Persona 4 are all $4 each on PSN right now.

Playing with a fairly newish friend (about ~40 matches) and the matchmaking is just awful. Every low level friend that is playing with their friends on the enemy team is 100% smurfing for reasons I don't understand. For example played this game and it's clear within about 1 minute of the game starting that the DK and Enigma are actually brand new (account level 2 and 3) while the enemy Magnus and PA are not (level 2 and 4). They somehow threw a huge lead early and through some micro management the enigma learned to stay out of teamfights until he could safely blackhole and we ended up outscaling.

Decided to look back on that Mag account just now and here's their next game. 7-73 in a 31 minute game and I'm sure they were as toxic in all chat in that game as they were in mine. Just absolute awful attitudes straight from the bottom of reddit. Thanks Trump.

I really wish the community would shape up on the racism in general. While there are systems like LPQ, muting, matchmaking bans, etc, I feel like there are probably lots of incidents that go unreported such as where a team wins and spams "gg you f****t n*****s". I don't have hard data to back up whether stuff like that goes unpunished, but it's still pretty disgusting to see. Trash talk is fine in general, but I see a lot of it go to far. I'm not sure how harshly Valve cracks down on this kind of thing, Obviously they do crack down on player toxicity, but I also don''t know what all that is defined as. We know they take things into account such as rate of pings (map pings, not server ping), how loud you are in voice chat, of course reports. I'm not sure taking away reports was the right decision, as the system has proven effective and I have yet to see anyone be punished falsely when they screw up and do poorly in a game with their whole team going "Report Timbersaw!" and everyone does it.

I realize it sounds like I'm going full "lol tumblr triggered in my safe space" or whatever, but I think it's something that should be addressed more if this community is to be a welcoming place. Stuff like that Singsing emote really doesn't help either. Another example of this was years ago with the Tobiwan racism incident, and how there was a lot of defense of that.

This is probably seen most frequently with the blame of "Peruvian" or whatever the current country of the month to blame is for your losses. This is purely anecdotal, but I feel like that kind of stuff has diminished significantly over the years I have been playing, but I realize experiences may vary.

I doubt a Valve employee will ever read this, and perhaps I should go to Reddit or....*gasp* the dev forums (where it probably won't get read and Reddit was better anyway).

I always wonder what it must be like to be black or a woman and watch a stream like Bulldog's that's full of so much casual racism and sexism. I don't condone it at all but I still watch the stream, so I guess I'm guilty on not fully condemning it. I wish he would just stop it because I've seen enough evidence that he doesn't do it out of malice and is likely just trying to appease his young, white, euro-centric, male audience.

Watching some VODs of him playing GTA5 and Mafia 3 from last month and he refers to every black person he sees as a TriHard and calls every woman he guns down a "dumb bitch" and says she's triggered spurring on a spam of HotPokket emotes. Even removed from the racism/sexism both "jokes" are super unfunny and tired. I personally dismiss it mostly as just meme-spamming the same way he calls every fat white person he sees KKona.
Happy to answer that for you.

*sigh*

That's my general response. I like Donger. I think he can do better than cozying up to the bottom of the barrel memes. Other steamers can get the same viewer numbers without catering to these sorts of attitudes and donger can too. He can be funny and engaging Nd worth watching without that shit. Maybe he doesn't know it, but he has a viewership that is not all white males between 14-21. It would be nice if he remembered that.

sigh... WHY are some people just so... pitiful? some dude with a Chinese player name that's basically an insulting to others picked Luna after I already got Drow and went bot. fine, I'll let him take bot solo while I jungle. he did ok at bot with the farm and went on to get a few kills, great right? except then he thought he's all powerful and keeps trying to solo the other team when it's a situation of 1v2 or even 1v3. needless to say he died a lot. went as far as solo invis into Rosh pit while they're 5 on Rosh, and of course he got killed. after the lose, I told him he need to listen to other's warning, and his answer is "go fuck yourself noob" really classy.

match ID: 2781654570 in case anyone is interested.

Low Tier
Still an infinitely better player than me but I certainly don't disagree. Perhaps the memes are all that's keeping his viewership around, similar to Sing.

I mean its how they make their living. I guess the argument is, if they can increase my salary embracing this kind of community, is it ok? Acceptable? Looked down upon but still not anything flagrant?

I mean memes and capturing your audience of young white males is fine, there's a lot of them that play video games.

Makes you wonder if these streamers are also like this when not 'performing'

RPG nerds and Souls nerds, a question.

What is the arbitrary line deciding whether a weapon (say, a sword) is an STR weapon or a DEX weapon? Is it just brute force vs finesse? What about ranged weapons like longbows?

also i don't have much hope for bulldog improving as a streamer, his income relies on these guys too much

kionedrik

What is the arbitrary line deciding whether a weapon (say, a sword) is an STR weapon or a DEX weapon? What about ranged weapons like longbows?

If you have an attribute with B or higher and the others are lower than B, it's a safe bet that that will be its main attribute when you upgrade it. There are very rare cases where that is not true but I only know of 5 or 6 cases and those are mostly boss weapons. If you don't have any attribute at B or higher you don't have a very good scaling weapon and it's better just to make it raw.

Bow are typically DEX weapons. I can only recall 1 case where the bow scales with STR.

I mean its how they make their living. I guess the argument is, if they can increase my salary embracing this kind of community, is it ok? Acceptable? Looked down upon but still not anything flagrant?

I mean memes and capturing your audience of young white males is fine, there's a lot of them that play video games.

Makes you wonder if these streamers are also like this when not 'performing'
Honestly I do my best to not think about how people act when they aren't on camera. When they are with people that they are comfortable enough being around to say anything in their company without fear of critique. I don't like being disappointed by people and I suspect a great many would do just that.

If you have an attribute with B or higher and the others are lower than B, it's a safe bet that that will be its main attribute when you upgrade it. There are very rare cases where that is not true but I only know of 5 or 6 cases and those are mostly boss weapons. If you don't have any attribute at B or higher you don't have a very good scaling weapon and it's better just to make it raw.

Bow are typically DEX weapons. I can only recall 1 case where the bow scales with STR.
I was mostly speaking about thematics but thanks.

What is the arbitrary line deciding whether a weapon (say, a sword) is an STR weapon or a DEX weapon? Is it just brute force vs finesse? What about ranged weapons like longbows?

also i don't have much hope for bulldog improving as a streamer, his income relies on these guys too much

I think you have to just imagine what it would be like to wield a certain weapon. How strong would you have to be to use it effectively vs how accurate you have to be with it?
With a big weapon like a dragon tooth you can just swing it around wildly and you will probably hit something. So it needs a lot of STR but not much DEX. A light rapier on the other hand wont do any damage if you cant hit the enemies weak-points.

52club

I'm surprised anybody hangs with the game. Playing on a new account makes you realize it could be (and has been worse).

I'm surprised anybody hangs with the game. Playing on a new account makes you realize it could be (and has been worse).

Honestly the smurfs made the first 2 months unbearable. There's nothing more frustrating as a new player than having some weird tryhard on his 12th account screaming at you for not using arcane boots on him before a fight and you are still trying to figure out the camera.

Playing with noted racist steve "wow I really hate japanese people" winwood can also cause withering anxiety attacks.

Honestly the smurfs made the first 2 months unbearable. There's nothing more frustrating as a new player than having some weird tryhard on his 12th account screaming at you for not using arcane boots on him before a fight and you are still trying to figure out the camera.

Playing with noted racist steve "wow I really hate japanese people" winwood can also cause withering anxiety attacks.

Yeah my placement matches were awful because I calibrated back when hero damage was the main component of your MMR.

I like to play support roles in games so I think I played Omni and WD for the entirety of my calibration. Nothing but getting abused for trying to support but not supporting well enough, despite being TBD.

Then I went to unranked to complete the all hero challenge once that came out because I wanted to learn the game by learning the heroes and work on my mechanical skill It took me about a year to complete.
But I finished with like 40 games ahead of the average.

Now I'm back in ranked but I play less frequently. For a minute I was the guy getting mad at people for not knowing how to do stuff since I was the guy who knew every hero and at least how to play somewhat decently.

Now I try to give suggestions and such but it's still tough giving up mid to someone who can't land their damage combos.

When the TI recalibration came out I jumped like 500 MMR, but then forgot to play enough matches to keep the new rank. That was kind of depressing.

Hylian7

Yeah my placement matches were awful because I calibrated back when hero damage was the main component of your MMR.

Wasn't Oracle the reason they changed this, since people would just pick Oracle and spam heal to get a billiion hero damage? Or did they just fix it counting as hero damage?

Twookie

Wasn't Oracle the reason they changed this, since people would just pick Oracle and spam heal to get a billiion hero damage? Or did they just fix it counting as hero damage?

Pretty it was zeus that made them change that a loooong time ago. You're kinda right regarding oracle though, because people used to boost themselves by constantly using purifying flames to spam heal allies for an insane amount which in turn would make the game think that you should get more mmr.

Nah it was before Oracle, when Zeus ulting off cooldown would net you at least 2.5 K MMR.

Pretty it was zeus that made them change that a loooong time ago. You're kinda right regarding oracle though, because people used to boost themselves by constantly using purifying flames to spam heal allies for an insane amount which in turn would make the game think that you should get more mmr.

Yeah that was the next big exploit lol.

But yeah, playing support when you know nothing about the game and when you were supposed to be dealing fucktons of damage = low ass MMR for me.

I don't mind, I don't play enough to really be mechanically top tier so I kind of find ranked comfortable at my low MMR. It was funny to see recalibrating me put me into the next K bracket though. If they do it again for TI7 I'll put more effort into it.

Top Bottom