• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DOTA2 |OT15| anime only please

I'm trying to get to 4K, but it's difficult because everyone highlights carries/mids/offlaners as their Heroes before any pics are even made.

How do you know if your hero is going to synergize with the rest of the team?

Do they think I'm going to support their anti mage? No, I hate playing support.

So I have started jungling with Enchantress. I harass men with tornadoes from that big bird creep and the Gank the offlane with nuts and Centaur Stomps. Ifarm up a Midas in by the time mid-game breaks out as the lanes break down, I already have a scepter ( scepter before dragonlance because one of these things increases and her mana and HP and the other doesn't). Sheep stick or shiver after that depending on how the game is going. Maybe a drum of endurance if I am feeling generous.

After scepter I buy Wards for our support if there are any.

I'm trying to get to 4K, but it's difficult because everyone highlights carries/mids/offlaners as their Heroes before any pics are even made.

So I have started jungling with Enchantress. I harass men with tornadoes from that big bird creep and the Gank the offlane with nuts and Centaur Stomps. Ifarm up a Midas in by the time mid-game breaks out as the lanes break down, I already have a scepter ( scepter before dragonlance because one of these things increases and her mana and HP and the other doesn't). Sheep stick or shiver after that depending on how the game is going. Maybe a drum of endurance if I am feeling generous.

Yeah most teammates go for core roles immediately. I play support nowadays but heavily lean towards 4 position heroes. I usually pick heroes that ganks and rotate. SB, ES, shaker and shadow shaman. Playing support is kinda fun in this patch, unlike the previous patches.

uhnomoli

Neo Member
Support is the most interesting role to me with where the game is at. 4 > 5 > 3 > 2 > 1. Core roles have practically turned into PvE for the first 15m (at least at my mmr). It's mind numbing.

I also wish they had just removed the jungle, it's atrocious gold and xp. It's so frustrating watching your cores farm the jungle when the lanes are at your towers and you've warded for them.

Jungling is basically setting your team up to lose two lanes. It you don't want to play support just pick a roamer like SB or something.

Trilane: morph, disruptor, rubick vs. solo off: bloodseeker.

They lost their lane Thinking Face.

Left me to solo off SK vs a trilane: abbadon, lich, SB.

Fun XD oh yeah no rotations btw

Also game went 70 minutes but wasn't close :gun:

Red UFO

Yeah you're not getting to 4k mate

Hurricane Pike before scepter mate

Airan

Support is actually fun these days. Thinking even one step ahead and planting vision and detection over key objectives then watching the teamfight unfold with your team having full vision over the fight whilst the enemy deals with jukes is something that no one notices, but it nets me a win so I'm happy with that.

When the team wins a team fight under my ward vision

JUST_AS_PLANNED.jpg

elyetis

I like playing support, what I don't like is playing solo support, which is what happens in something like 90% of the game I play ( ~3800mmr ).

To make that more bearable I make strange ( bad ) pick like support zeus/sniper, people are still bad enough at this mmr that it actually works.

shira

The peekaboo, I still don't have a radience at the end of the game build.
Ymmv

I like playing support, what I don't like is playing solo support, which is what happens in something like 90% of the game I play ( ~3800mmr ).

To make that more bearable I make strange ( bad ) pick like support zeus/sniper, people are still bad enough at this mmr that it actually works.
I like Zeus support for inviz

I played a support Kunkka yesterday and even though we ended up losing I had a really good time. I feel like playing do shit supports in general feels pretty alright at the moment.

Hylian7

Here's the deal, and my theory. I've been struggling trying to get to 4k myself, but been trying different approaches for doing it. For a little while, I tried picking pos 4 and 5...didn't go so well. I did win some games with it, but others not so much. I'm really not good at playing those positions and am better suited to core. I went back to picking core positions, have done much better so far. Comfort heroes do work the best, but I suggest having comfort heroes on all roles (you just might pick for a certain role more often if it's available)

That said, if I can't get a core position, I WILL play pos 4 or 5 if the team needs it because that is what it takes to win the game. If you want to move up in MMR, you do what it takes to win the game. This isn't about "Do I trust that AM to be able to farm correctly and carry us?", it doesn't matter. You play and try to give him the easiest game you can, like you would if it's someone you know. Let's say he's a total idiot anyway, don't you want to give him the easiest game you can so he has an extremely unlikely chance of screwing it up? If you click on them, you can see what items they have in their quickbuy (hold shift + click the item), so lets say you see a Basher coming after Manta on AM in a game where he really needs BKB. You should tell him you think he needs BKB, and briefly tell him why.

I don't like playing support either, but I will do it to win the game rather than locking another core and have a team that can't do shit unless we get really lucky. There is nothing wrong with buying wards on a core position too if your supports aren't buying them for whatever reason. Seeing an incoming gate and not dying to it easily saves you the 100g for that ward and pays for itself, plus all the farm that it allows you to get safely, or maybe picking up a kill.

Fuchsdh

Support is the most interesting role to me with where the game is at. 4 > 5 > 3 > 2 > 1. Core roles have practically turned into PvE for the first 15m (at least at my mmr). It's mind numbing.

I also wish they had just removed the jungle, it's atrocious gold and xp. It's so frustrating watching your cores farm the jungle when the lanes are at your towers and you've warded for them.

Jungling is basically setting your team up to lose two lanes. It you don't want to play support just pick a roamer like SB or something.

I think it's definitely just a problem with bad play styles working fine when you suck, and people not being willing to break out of it. What gets you from 1K to 3K is figuring that stuff out.

Jungling legions or alche or SK can absolutely wreck once they get some items and pop out of the jungle, assuming that the other team is stupid enough to leave them alone. Go in there once or twice to harass or even kill the enemy team or deny one of their camps with a ward, and it all falls apart.

My favorite new feature I hadn't noticed until I dropped MMR is cores leaving their lane to go to the jungle creeps in the laning phase, giving the other team a full uncontested minute or so of farm in the lane. Why?

When the team wins a team fight under my ward vision

JUST_AS_PLANNED.jpg

Yeah that's the pleasure-pain of support. If things aren't going well you are inevitably blamed, and if things do go well (like I plant a ward which allows us to quickly take down a weak hero, people don't steal the courier from you this one time so you're able to get dust just in time for a critical fight) you rarely if ever get the credit for the boost.

Red UFO

Yeah that's the pleasure-pain of support. If things aren't going well you are inevitably blamed, and if things do go well (like I plant a ward which allows us to quickly take down a weak hero, people don't steal the courier from you this one time so you're able to get dust just in time for a critical fight) you rarely if ever get the credit for the boost.

you dont need some internet dweeb's credit, you gotta give the credit to yourself my dude

uhnomoli

Neo Member
Jungling legions or alche or SK can absolutely wreck once they get some items and pop out of the jungle, assuming that the other team is stupid enough to leave them alone. Go in there once or twice to harass or even kill the enemy team or deny one of their camps with a ward, and it all falls apart.

Exactly, it's so easy to blow up a jungler. Even if they don't get messed with, their farm is terrible since the nerf. A roaming 4 can support your other lanes where a jungler can't do anything for the first 10m for the most part.

My favorite new feature I hadn't noticed until I dropped MMR is cores leaving their lane to go to the jungle creeps in the laning phase, giving the other team a full uncontested minute or so of farm in the lane. Why?

It's because people heard the "jungle changes have been reverted" and not the "gold and xp from neutrals has been reduced by 20%."

Support has always been boring to me. Dota is a game of numbers. When I first learned how to play the game properly why people like Scarlett and Fluff and universe and Tides I'm obviously nowhere near as good as they are but was fortunate to play with him at one time) I was told that to play mid properly, you needed 30 cs minimum in the first 10 minutes of the game.

Midas in 6 or 7 Minutes. Radiance in less than 15 minutes.

Basically if you plan to have X item you need to have it by X time or you are falling behind.

These are rules that apply to carries. When I play support, I feel like I'm just sitting around waiting for a fight to happen, or my carry to farm so they can fight. With a core position, if a fight breaks out across the map, you have the option to instead of joining the fight, knocking down the tower. A tangible objective is met.

What are tangible adjectives for support? When both teams carries are content to just farm and everything is warded, what are you doing besides sitting around waiting for them to decide to do something different? Stacking neutrals? **** that.

As a core, literally every second you're not doing damage to something, rather is an enemy hero or something to farm, is a wasted second.

Also, I'm very good at not dying. A lot of people who played this support seem to enjoy dying or think it's okay when they do. Not this one.

Yeah you're not getting to 4k mate

On the contrary I have been in and out of 4K "mate." I started playing ranked captains draft solo trying to catch a friend who I taught how to play who went from 2.5k to 4.5k over the course of six months, and I suffered.

He quit so I'm back.
Hurricane Pike before scepter mate

Here's the deal, and my theory. I've been struggling trying to get to 4k myself, but been trying different approaches for doing it. For a little while, I tried picking pos 4 and 5...didn't go so well. I did win some games with it, but others not so much. I'm really not good at playing those positions and am better suited to core. I went back to picking core positions, have done much better so far. Comfort heroes do work the best, but I suggest having comfort heroes on all roles (you just might pick for a certain role more often if it's available)

That said, if I can't get a core position, I WILL play pos 4 or 5 if the team needs it because that is what it takes to win the game. If you want to move up in MMR, you do what it takes to win the game. This isn't about "Do I trust that AM to be able to farm correctly and carry us?", it doesn't matter. You play and try to give him the easiest game you can, like you would if it's someone you know. Let's say he's a total idiot anyway, don't you want to give him the easiest game you can so he has an extremely unlikely chance of screwing it up? If you click on them, you can see what items they have in their quickbuy (hold shift + click the item), so lets say you see a Basher coming after Manta on AM in a game where he really needs BKB. You should tell him you think he needs BKB, and briefly tell him why.

I don't like playing support either, but I will do it to win the game rather than locking another core and have a team that can't do **** unless we get really lucky. There is nothing wrong with buying wards on a core position too if your supports aren't buying them for whatever reason. Seeing an incoming gate and not dying to it easily saves you the 100g for that ward and pays for itself, plus all the farm that it allows you to get safely, or maybe picking up a kill.

If my support isn't buying Wards. I'll do it for them. I won't even wait to ask.

Majority of the time, I'm playing a hero like

Necro or BB if I can't play mid or safe.

If I absolutely have to play support, I'll Lich to kill secure and carry a gem (phase boots and mek) or CM to give my Storm an infinite Mana pool. But most of the time, I'm picking Bane or Skywrath or Silencer to semicarry.

Artanisix

support is probably the most active role in dota atm, they decide the pace of the game for the first 20 min or so and make or break laning stage. you're right, they don't have as "tangible" objectives as a core position do, and because of that, they're typically a lot more difficult to play effectively. your job as support is very fluid -- what lanes need help? what lanes do i want to win the most? where can you have the most impact? do i need to control runes? do i need to stack? should i buy a smoke and force a gank? should i rotate and force enemy supports to rotate?

items for supports are similar too. utility items like force staff, pipe, solar crest, urn. you're also typically in charge of map control and vision with wards and sentries. you enable your team to succeed by being active across the map, and there isn't an obvious and straightforward way to supporting like there is to playing mid or carry.

you also have to find farm when there is no farm available, unlike when playing a core, where you are expected to generate currency.

As a core, literally every second you're not doing damage to something, rather is an enemy hero or something to farm, is a wasted second.

this applies to all roles in dotka.

support is probably the most active role in dota atm, they decide the pace of the game for the first 20 min or so and make or break laning stage. you're right, they don't have as "tangible" objectives as a core position do, and because of that, they're typically a lot more difficult to play effectively. your job as support is very fluid -- what lanes need help? what lanes do i want to win the most? where can you have the most impact? do i need to control runes? do i need to stack? should i buy a smoke and force a gank? should i rotate and force enemy supports to rotate?

items for supports are similar too. utility items like force staff, pipe, solar crest, urn. you're also typically in charge of map control and vision with wards and sentries. you enable your team to succeed by being active across the map, and there isn't an obvious and straightforward way to supporting like there is to playing mid or carry.

you also have to find farm when there is no farm available, unlike when playing a core, where you are expected to generate currency.

The way you describe support, I'm not good enough to play it.

Ironic, considering that we always recommend to new players to play support because their lack of knowledge will have the least impact on the game in that role. The way you describe support, new players are better off playing carry.

Red UFO

Ironic, considering that we always recommend to new players to play support because their lack of knowledge will have the least impact on the game in that role. The way you describe support, new players are better off playing carry.
Speak for yourself buddy, I never recommend that.

Artanisix

that is indeed what i recommend to new players :)

Top Bottom