• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Age: Origins |OT| Letting The Fade fade out of memory

Darkman M

fizzelopeguss said:
Just finished, great game. typical bioware title though in that there's far too much combat.

Also my char was such a fucking PIMP

nailed morrigan, leli AND married the queen. fucking hilarious juggling the 3.

It's a bioware title, their writing always played second fiddle to black isle.

wow did you get the game early or something :lol

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
One advantage the console games have over the PC is the junk folder for items. Really makes inventory management less of a hassle. Surprisingly the PC version doesn't opt for that feature.

But I do find myself enjoying 'Hard' on Console, while on PC 'Normal' rips me to shreds.(Easy on PC is too easy)

Zeliard

Brandon F said:
One advantage the console games have over the PC is the junk folder for items. Really makes inventory management less of a hassle. Surprisingly the PC version doesn't opt for that feature.

But I do find myself enjoying 'Hard' on Console, while on PC 'Normal' rips me to shreds.(Easy on PC is too easy)

They buffed up your party's defense, attack and damage in the new PC patch for Normal difficulty, so you may want to give it another shot.

Personally, I've messed with it post-patch, and the difference was enough to make me want to move up to Hard (which I was leaving for subsequent playthroughs). But I'm going to continue on Normal for a bit and see if it ramps up enough, since I'm still quite early on.

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
Brandon F said:
There is a patch out that helps with this if Easy is too easy and Normal is too difficult.

Woo-Fu

Banned
orzamar/deep roads warning/spoiler ahead:

1. there is a point of no return.
2. they make you use that dwarf husband of branka who sucks ass compared to whatever you're using for your main tank.

So, do not go to the Anvil section of the deep roads until a) you've stocked up on potions/healing, and b) put your best armor/weapons on Orgrhim.

I didn't get a warning like this so I get to go back in time 5 game hours. fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck.

NewLib

Banned
Finally learned sleep so I could do my Nightmare combo right as I
entered the fade
. Holy crap that spell combo is awesome. Its almost an instant kill on enemies.

Naeblish said:
Do you play console/pc, difficulty? I'm on pc normal. I think having one tank would make the game a lot harder, unless you use 1 mage for constant healing.

I've been playing the PC version on hard. My PC is a spirit healer, so I am doing a fair bit amount of healing myself, but I haven't found the use of only one tank a problem. Just make sure your tank can draw aggro effectively and that should keep enemies from swarming your mages. Shale in stoneheart mode does this very well.

I basically have my PC and Morrigan handle crowd control and healing, have Shale draw aggro and soak up damage, and have Zevran backstab enemies attacking Shale.

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
Does anyone know if traps easier to detect at lower difficulty levels? i can almost never detect them and its really pissing me off :lol

Opiate

Having not read the entirety of this thread: is there a general opinion of how the consoles control in comparison to the PC? Are PC controls notably superior? Or even inferior? I have a friend with the 360 version, but I will be happy to pay for the PC version if I get the sense it's a notable upgrade in interface.

Zeliard

Opiate said:
Having not read the entirety of this thread: is there a general opinion of how the consoles control in comparison to the PC? Are PC controls notably superior?

Short answer: vastly.

Vinci

Danish
Opiate said:
Having not read the entirety of this thread: is there a general opinion of how the consoles control in comparison to the PC? Are PC controls notably superior? Or even inferior? I have a friend with the 360 version, but I will be happy to pay for the PC version if I get the sense it's a notable upgrade in interface.

Based on reviews, I'd say the PC interface is quite a bit better. Never seen anyone say the console controls are bad, per se, just that the PC is a better fit for the game.

Jayge

Did anybody else do Warden's Keep right when you leave Lothering? I'm finding it pretty hard. (I didn't spoil this as the fact that you go to Lothering really shouldn't be important to anybody.)

Just before I went to sleep last night I went and decided to bargain with Dryden the Abomination. Got fucked up 2x in a row by the 2nd to last wave (right before the desire demon) and went to bed.

Today, I just got all possible information out of Dryden besides her offered gold locations (goddammit) and then I cut her up. Went and had an interesting conversation with the mage and we went to try and seal the veil again.

This time I'm doing much better, wiped on the last wave with 1 Ash Demon or whatever left and the second time I wiped with Morrigan left on the Desire Demon because I accidentally froze my other living dude to death and then got fucked up in spider mode by not casting the web shot fast enough.

I think I may be able to beat it next time. It's wicked though. To anyone who hasn't done it yet, I definitely recommend straight up killing Dryden when you meet her after interrogating her and then going to meet the old dude. Although I have no idea what happens if you help Dryden, then kill her, then meet the old dude. Hmm.

LCfiner

as a console guy, I can say that it would be pretty cumbersome to manually manage all members of your party as you would need to do on higher difficulties. one reason why i'm schlepping on easy so far.

I don't find it all that easy to direct all the characters on the occasions where I've wanted someone to use a specific skill.

kotor was nice in that it would auto pause for you after each round of combat and you could queue attacks for several rounds.

here, you have to keep track of everyone, pause manually all the time and give commands one round a time all the while having a very close up 3rd person viewpoint that doesn't help you see the action.

mackloon

Neo Member
Is there a reason that they did not provide a more zoomed out view on the console? I have not played much at all, however found the zoom...or lack there of to be a little sucky.

timkunedo

theMrCravens said:
Does the PC version have those DLC quests unlocked ?

I barely followed this damn game, but right now I'm in the mood for a western RPG.

I just bought a retail copy at BB, regular edition, and it comes with The Stone Prisoner DLC and Dragon Armor. Just have to enter a code for it to unlock.

Zeliard

Jayge said:
Did anybody else do Warden's Keep right when you leave Lothering? I'm finding it pretty hard. (I didn't spoil this as the fact that you go to Lothering really shouldn't be important to anybody.)

I was going to go there after Lothering but did the Stone Prisoner quest first to get Shale, but Warden's Keep was going to be my next destination (I'll be going there with most of my party on the verge of being level 8).

I didn't highlight the spoilers, but if you're having difficulty in combat, one effective thing to do in these games is to "pull" some of the more front-line aggro enemies and take them out first. Just have one character go up to them and then run back, and a few should follow you, but not all of them.

Leckan

How do you make several commands in line so it automatically does the following order automatically on the PC version? Can you make for example 5 following orders at once instead of only one?

You can do that right?

Jayge

Zeliard said:
I was going to go there after Lothering but did the Stone Prisoner quest first to get Shale, but Warden's Keep was going to be my next destination (I'll be going there with most of my party on the verge of being level 8).

I didn't highlight the spoilers, but if you're having difficulty in combat, one effective thing to do in these games is to "pull" some of the more front-line aggro enemies and take them out first. Just have one character go up to them and then run back, and a few should follow you, but not all of them.
Hehe. I did that for most of the quest. I suspect you'll have an interesting time with it :lol (You may not want to put your difficulty on Hard before attempting it.)

Zeliard

Jayge said:
Hehe. I did that for most of the quest. I suspect you'll have an interesting time with it :lol (You may not want to put your difficulty on Hard before attempting it.)

I was actually just thinking about that. :lol

Yeah, I think I'm just gonna use Warden's Keep as a way to fully "test" the new Normal difficulty. I thought it was quite nicely balanced before. If it still offers a good challenge I might stay there - if not, Hard difficulty it is.

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
Leckan said:
How do you make several commands in line so it automatically does the following order automatically on the PC version? Can you make for example 5 orders at once instead of only one?

You can do that right?

Just one command at a time.

Leckan

Number 2 said:
Just one command at a time.

What!?

Any particular reason Bioware made that choice? It cannot have been console parity could it considering they are so different currently anyway? Tactical reason?

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
Leckan said:
What!?

Any particular reason Bioware made that choice? It cannot have been console parity could it considering they are so different currently anyway? Tactical reason?
Couldnt tell you.

Jayge

Leckan said:
What!?

They might have wanted people to focus on customizing their tactics too, although there really aren't enough slots to make the AI useful on its own in real time anyway

mackloon

Neo Member
Jayge said:
They might have wanted people to focus on customizing their tactics too, although there really aren't enough slots to make the AI useful on its own in real time anyway

How many slots are they limited to as far as conditional commands go?

Jayge

mackloon said:
How many slots are they limited to as far as conditional commands go?
I don't know what the limit is, but I have 4 (maybe 5 on some) for each character at the moment. It's alright for some really basic encounters but for mages (and rogues with two specialties like mine, because I like archery and dual-wielding) it's really useless. The AI doesn't really do much by itself outside of tactics, which feels kind of like a cop-out on Bioware's part.

Edit: although I wouldn't really want the game to play itself either. I feel like it's kind of hard to become really good with your main character if you have to try and play 4 at once.

Zeliard

Jayge said:

While I haven't really used the tactics menu (I heavily micromanage in these games), you can get extra slots upon leveling up, so it looks like it's probably nicely paced between giving you more slots as your characters get more abilities.

Ponti

iam220 said:
Elven forest spoilers:

Any one tried disturbing that tombstone that's not far from the great oak? You end up facing some skeletons and a skeleton mage. That shits impossible with my current level (7-8). I must of spent an hour trying different things to beat it. Even dropping the difficulty down to easy. I got my ass handed to me every time and I eventually gave up. Did any one have better luck there?
There are quite a few in the forest area.
Each one seems to spawn a Revenant which drops a piece of the Juggernaught armour set (which is supposedly one of the best armour sets in the game). The chest piece is inside the Ruins.
I had to go back to that area at around Lvl15. Got a thorough beating when I first tried it at Lvl9 ish. :lol

Darkman M said:
wow did you get the game early or something :lol

Mammoth play sessions, i skipped a ton of side quests as well. saving it for a more relaxed second playthrough :p.

Not in this game. The combat is arguably the best part. In the PC version, at least.

It get's a bit much at times, when you just want to advance the story yet about 12 darkspawn squads are in your way.

Zeliard

fizzelopeguss said:
It get's a bit much at times, when you just want to advance the story yet about 12 darkspawn squads are in your way.

Just sic Thale on them. That guy takes care of business.

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
Zeliard said:

This tactic helps alot. Especially on Nightmare. Holy shit the worst battles are the ones where you go to combat right out of a cutscene. Even if this happens you can still RUN AWAY to a place where you can control the battle and not run into the enemies advantage.

Here is me on PC Nightmare doing effective pull tactics (even though sometimes the guys next to them wont pull.. not going to complain :lol) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M36eojKquQ0#t=02m02s
And here is me getting the shit kicked out of me multiple times (a freaking yellow Blight Wolf spawned this playthrough) until i did a "strategic withdrawal" :lol http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MuIgzjGhjcs

stuminus3

Impressions after a third night's play:

All I'll say is, it's worth keeping the dog in your party just to annoy Morrigan. :lol :lol :lol

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
I think it's very difficult as a console player to really manage all four party members. I already feel extremely limited by only having 6 (5 really, since I am using quick heal) commands on the face buttons + modifier, and switching to another character doesn't actually tell me what abilities they have hotkeyed...I have to go and look at what each picture means :lol

I really wish I had a PC.

Zeliard

stuminus3 said:

All I'll say is, it's worth keeping the dog in your party just to annoy Morrigan. :lol :lol :lol

I love the dog/Alistair interactions in camp.

Haven't seen Morrigan get annoyed by him yet, though. The dog, that is.

stuminus3 said:

LOL I was seeing that myself last night. Love this game and its writing and humor.

Top Bottom